Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Redd

RE: Pets In Cars Debate

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:22 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 49):
Which is exactly why they shouldn't rashly get involved and start doing things using what might be vastly mistaken assumptions.

The general assumption when you see a dog in a car on a day, is that the owner is an ignorant pet owner.... Highly justified assumption in my opinion.

If someone's going to break my windows in a 7-11 parking lot to save my dog, that someone is simply an idiot.

They're breaking your window to save your dog. When you call 911 the Police will do the same thing to get your dog out of your car. The conclusion of idiocy, lies with the pet owner that leaves the pet in the car.

Answer my previous question please.

Quoting Redd (Reply 48):
How much effort does it take to take your dog with you and tie him up infront of the 7-11?
If you try and plan for every single thing that might go wrong, you will never leave your house.

It's just about the same reason you don't leave your baby in the car. It's bloody idiocy at it's highest level. Basic contingency. If you're inclined to become a pet owner, you should be inclined not to be an idiot and leave your pet in the car.

Percentages alone would tell you that the vast majority of cars spend less than 5 minutes there.

If you have a 7-11 in the middle of a farmers field sure, but considering most 7-11's are surrounded by many other retail businesses it's not an exact science to predict if the car/pet owner is frequenting the 7-11 and not the Walmart next to it.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:38 pm

some luxury car windows don't break. Just saying.

I did witness a mother who accidentally locked her baby in her car at church. Then men just picked up the car and moved it into the shade, still it was horrible watching the baby cry itself to sleep while waiting for the locksmith.

DocLightning

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Quoting Redd (Reply 50):

It's just about the same reason you don't leave your baby in the car. It's bloody idiocy at it's highest level. Basic contingency. If you're inclined to become a pet owner, you should be inclined not to be an idiot and leave your pet in the car.

The difference is that babies are permitted in almost any establishment. Dogs, not so much.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

vikkyvik

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:56 pm

Quoting Redd (Reply 50):
Answer my previous question please.

Quoting Redd (Reply 48):
How much effort does it take to take your dog with you and tie him up infront of the 7-11?

Could take a lot of effort, and cost a lot of money, when someone sues you for your dog biting him/her.

Quoting Redd (Reply 50):
The general assumption when you see a dog in a car on a day, is that the owner is an ignorant pet owner.... Highly justified assumption in my opinion.

That's not my assumption, and clearly it's not the assumption of several other pet owners here.

Quoting Redd (Reply 50):
They're breaking your window to save your dog.

I get it. Save a dog that doesn't need saving.

Quoting Redd (Reply 50):
If you have a 7-11 in the middle of a farmers field sure, but considering most 7-11's are surrounded by many other retail businesses it's not an exact science to predict if the car/pet owner is frequenting the 7-11 and not the Walmart next to it.

Most 7-11s I frequent (in greater Los Angeles) are pretty much standalone businesses, with their own parking lots.

Quoting Redd (Reply 50):

You really can't make a fair comparison between dogs and babies, because society does not treat them the same. As Doc notes:

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 52):
The difference is that babies are permitted in almost any establishment. Dogs, not so much.

I'm just repeating myself here, so I'll call it a thread.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

N867DA

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:08 am

Honestly, if someone is that concerned about the welfare of a dog in the car they should take the time to wait by the car for the driver and monitor the situation. They should break a window only if it's absolutely necessary. No one ever calls AAA when there's a dog in a car--they always find a brick. People just want to feel like they're doing good while getting to smash someone's window.

I also agree with previous commenters who have to point out that a dog is not a human and it's a bit weird when people treat their pets like people.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

VapourTrails

Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:07 am

I haven't read all the replies admittedly, but it is a very interesting, debatable topic.   

We seem to have more of a problem with children left in cars here than pets, although that may be because the former is seen as much more of an issue and gains more media attention.

Like a lot of things - a pet owner non-parent especially notices, you can take a child where you can't take a pet. Some stores here have special pet tie up areas outside in shaded areas for pets to wait, along with water access and a bowl. Owners can also carry those portable fold-out cloth bowls around for this purpose too, and a water bottle.

I've seen pets in cars with the window down an inch, but don't recall seeing them in really hot weather.

I have no problems leaving my cat at home (inside) on a hot day, with the a/c on. What else am I supposed to do.. It is a matter of comfort, safety and familiarity.

I do get annoyed with people who leave animals outside on hot days at home, and may not adequately prepare for them being on their own for 8-10 hours at a time.

Do see dogs on the back of utilities in car parks, seems like a reasonable option, if one has one of those type of vehicles..

Redd

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:18 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 53):
Could take a lot of effort, and cost a lot of money, when someone sues you for your dog biting him/her.

Most dogs aren't aggressive, but then again people generally use common sense and don't approach tied up dogs. Although I might be nervous about that if I lived in the USA. People like to sue over there quite a bit.

That's not my assumption, and clearly it's not the assumption of several other pet owners here.

Like someone had mentioned above, that the only way they will leave the dog in the car is if they are able to see the dog the whole time, and on a hot day leave the windows open.

You clearly don't. How is a passer-by to know if the dog needs saving? Too many dogs die every year due to people that don't get it. I seriously couldn't care less about your window, but If I see your dog in a car on a hot day with the windows up, you're losing a window.

Most 7-11s I frequent (in greater Los Angeles) are pretty much standalone businesses, with their own parking lots.

Most in your area, but there's a great big world out there with plenty of 7-11's situated differently. It's also clearly very hot where you live which adds to the danger of leaving a pet in the car.

You really can't make a fair comparison between dogs and babies, because society does not treat them the same. As Doc notes:

Both can die being left in a hot automobile. As a dog owner and a father, I consider people who would leave a baby or a dog in a car liable to lose the right to be one.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 52):

So tie the dog up outside or plan ahead so you don't have to leave your dog in the car. Problem solved.

[Edited 2016-06-07 03:20:14]

flipdewaf

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:39 am

Quoting Redd (Reply 50):

Or the person that smashes the window of a car to get a dog out that doesn't need getting out because its perfectly contented is much more ignorant in my opinion.

Quoting Redd (Reply 50):
When you call 911 the Police will do the same thing to get your dog out of your car. The conclusion of idiocy, lies with the pet owner that leaves the pet in the car.

No, the police will make an informed judgement and decide something rational, not like the have a go heroes.

Quoting Redd (Reply 50):
If you're inclined to become a pet owner, you should be inclined not to be an idiot and leave your pet in the car.

No, you are wrong, become and pet owner and make decisions for the pet based on the circumstances, not ridiculous blanket coverall statements.

Quoting Redd (Reply 50):
It's just about the same reason you don't leave your baby in the car.

Except that the dog can cope quite happily without someone without getting into difficulty, the baby much less so.

I hear you, don't leave the dog in the car when the conditions and the length of time could be of risk to a dogs health, some on here don't seem to get that the situation might call for different courses of action.

Quoting Redd (Reply 56):
You clearly don't. How is a passer-by to know if the dog needs saving?
http://www.thedodo.com/how-to-tell-dog-overheating-1224088290.html
First link on google.
If you are unsure about other things do you go around smashing stuff up?

Quoting Redd (Reply 56):
Both can die being left in a hot automobile. As a dog owner and a father, I consider people who would leave a baby or a dog in a car liable to lose the right to be one.

As a dog owner and father myself, you are just plain wrong!

I don't see a fundamental difference between leaving your dog at home alone and leaving it in the car alone. If the conditions in either is wrong for the dog then you are doing it wrong, if you can ensure the conditions are suitable for the duration then it is ok.

Fred

Redd

Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:00 am

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 57):
As a dog owner and father myself, you are just plain wrong!

Considering how many dogs die being left in cars every year around the world, how am I wrong?

First link on google.
If you are unsure about other things do you go around smashing stuff up?

I'm quite sure I can recognize a suffering animal. I've broken into a cargo van a few years ago because I heard a dog barking inside, on a 30'C day with the tin can van parked in the sun. I'd waited around 20 minutes for the owner to come around before breaking into the van. I'd also called the Police which advised me to do so beforehand. The owner came around about 30 minutes later, the dog was half dead and would have probably died if I hadn't done what I had.

The owner was charged and lost ownership of the dog. Should I have just left and let the dog die?

I don't see a fundamental difference between leaving your dog at home alone and leaving it in the car alone.

You don't see a fundamental difference between a controlled and friendly environment for your pet and a potential oven that will bake your dog?

flipdewaf

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:29 pm

Quoting Redd (Reply 58):
Considering how many dogs die being left in cars every year around the world, how am I wrong?

How many dogs don't die when left in a car?

Quoting Redd (Reply 58):
I'm quite sure I can recognize a suffering animal. I've broken into a cargo van a few years ago because I heard a dog barking inside, on a 30'C day with the tin can van parked in the sun. I'd waited around 20 minutes for the owner to come around before breaking into the van. I'd also called the Police which advised me to do so beforehand. The owner came around about 30 minutes later, the dog was half dead and would have probably died if I hadn't done what I had.

The owner was charged and lost ownership of the dog.

Quite right.

Quoting Redd (Reply 58):
Should I have just left and let the dog die?

Of course not, I hope you aren't suggesting that I would do such a thing.

Quoting Redd (Reply 58):
You don't see a fundamental difference between a controlled and friendly environment for your pet and a potential oven that will bake your dog?

Your assumption that every car is like an oven and that because some people cannot be expected to make a reasonable assessment of the conditions in their cars that I should be forced to go along with having the windows smashed by "do-gooders". By all means if the dog is in distress then go for it but blanket statements that "dogs left in cars = bad" is just plain wrong.

Fred

lewis

Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:24 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 8):
And I don't understand the need to hold dogs up to the standard care of humans. I care tremendously about my dog, but I know he is still a dog. They're hardy animals that didn't even live indoors commonly until maybe 15-20 years ago.

Ditto. In a much older pet thread I was accused of animal abuse because my (now deceased) Ovcharka that weighed 180lbs and had the fur of a bear, sigh, was living outdoors in our garden and not trapped indoors in our house.

n229nw

Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:57 pm

What is it about dogs in particular that makes people so extraordinarily extreme on all sides, because they are cute?

I don't know why but the hypocrisy gets me. Many of those who would bust windows, call 911, key cars, and generally go all vigilante because of a dog left alone for three minutes, or who would sign multiple petitions about stopping people from eating dogs, etc. would

--kill a rat with a glue trap, even though rat will suffer and is just as smart and potentially sweet as a dog
--eat pork from a farm where the pigs are treated all day every day in torture conditions, though pigs are as smart and loving as dogs

etc.

I'm not even saying this to try to convince people they should not eat meat or not control an infestation of rodents, etc. etc., but I don't think cuteness should be the main criterion that people use to dole out sypathy.

I try to be kind to animals, but at the end of the day, they are not humans, and I just wish people cared half as much about empathy toward other human beings sometimes, or devoted as much energy to making sure abandoned or abused children find loving homes as they do to abandoned animals, etc.

I do like that there is nuanced discussion on here, where some people are pointing out that it is rather dramatic and unhelpful to for people to make extreme judgements about someone who runs into 7/11 for 3 minutes leaving their windows cracked.

[Edited 2016-06-07 15:05:08]
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

vikkyvik

Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:01 am

Quoting n229nw (Reply 61):
I'm not even saying this to try to convince people they should not eat meat or not control an infestation of rodents, etc. etc., but I don't think cuteness should be the main criterion that people use to dole out sypathy.

Cuteness is a factor, sure, but I think that applies more for people who don't own the dogs.

Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years. They've been bred to be companions, workers, rescuers, any-sort-of-helper to people. The result of all that breeding is a very loyal, sweet, and caring companion.

I have nothing in particular against pigs and rats, but to my knowledge, they have not gone through the same sort of domestication program (at least, not to be companions).

I try to be kind to animals, but at the end of the day, they are not humans, and I just wish people cared half as much about empathy toward other human beings sometimes, or devoted as much energy to making sure abandoned or abused children find loving homes as they do to abandoned animals, etc.

I, too, wish people were more empathetic, etc. And the fact that they aren't makes me love my dog even more, because he is loyal, caring, etc. to a fault.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:54 am

thank you to everyone who's broken into a window to save a pets life. i too wish people would be more empathetic towards their pets. Instead of having the mentality out of sight, out of mind.

[Edited 2016-06-07 17:55:30]

fr8mech

Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:32 am

Quoting DLFREEBIRD (Reply 51):
Then men just picked up the car and moved it into the shade, still it was horrible watching the baby cry itself to sleep while waiting for the locksmith.

Ridiculous. The men exposing themselves to injury just to keep a window from being broken. Sorry, you take the window furthest from the child, if the child show ANY sign of distress. If it was hot enough for the men to lift the car and move it to the shade, it was hot enough to take the window.

Quoting N867DA (Reply 54):
They should break a window only if it's absolutely necessary

Define that. How do you tell a dog or a child is in the later stages of heat stroke or simply sleeping?

I don't see a fundamental difference between leaving your dog at home alone and leaving it in the car alone.

A dog is not likely to die at home, even a hot home. Heat just doesn't build up in a home the way the way, nor as quickly as it does in a closed vehicle.

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 59):
How many dogs don't die when left in a car?

What's that got to do with it? Should we feel better because most dogs don't die if left in a car (supposition on my part).

How many kids don't die in a car? Does that change the how we should feel about the 10 kids that have died from heat stroke in cars so far this year?
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

flipdewaf

Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:57 am

Agreed, they are animals and not human, we should treat them with respect and not be cruel to them but not elevate them to human status.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 64):
A dog is not likely to die at home, even a hot home. Heat just doesn't build up in a home the way the way, nor as quickly as it does in a closed vehicle.

Agreed, a dog is more likely to die in a car than in a home if left for the same amount of time but then I haven't seen anyone on here suggesting you should leave a dog in a car for 6hrs. You should make an assessment on the available known factors.

Define that.
Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 45):
you can leave your dog unatended in a car for a reasonable amount of time.
Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 45):
Reasonable in this circumstance would be an amount of time that, based I the prevailing conditions both inside and out, and current situation would not cause the animal undue harm.
How do you tell a dog or a child is in the later stages of heat stroke or simply sleeping?

You can take the course of action that you believe to be correct in the circumstances, if however you are incorrect then you must take responsibility for your actions and be liable for the cost incurred by the owner of the car.

What's that got to do with it? Should we feel better because most dogs don't die if left in a car (supposition on my part).

This was in response to Redds assertion that:

Quoting Redd (Reply 50):
The general assumption when you see a dog in a car on a day, is that the owner is an ignorant pet owner.

He/She also made the statement

Quoting Redd (Reply 58):
I'm quite sure I can recognize a suffering animal.

But doesn't want to base his judgement on the suffering of the animal but based on the perceived ignorance of other people.
Ignorance is a lack of information or knowledge.
Suggesting that people who:
1. know their dog through potentially years of companionship
2. Know the conditions within their vehicle when they left
3. Know how long they have been away from their vehicle
4. Have knowledge of how their vehicle reacts to the prevailing weather conditions

are ignorant of the situation whereas someone who:
1. Sees a dog in the back of a car
Is not.

Put it this way;
Scenario 1. My dog is in distress in the back of mine/my wifes car and you break the window to get her out then I will thank you and buy you a pint.

Scenario 2. My dog is not in distress and you break the window to get her out then you will either pay the costs associated with returning the car to service or if you refuse to take responsibility for your smashing of things I will refuse to take responsibility for my smashing actions.

Fred

fr8mech

Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:29 am

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 65):
if however you are incorrect then you must take responsibility for your actions and be liable for the cost incurred by the owner of the car.

I think there was legislation pending around here in KY that would relieve a good Samaritan from civil liability if that good Samaritan were acting in good faith and as a reasonable person would act. Can't recall if it was just for kids or kids and animals.

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 65):
if you refuse to take responsibility for your smashing of things I will refuse to take responsibility for my smashing actions

Threatening violence?
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

flipdewaf

Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:18 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 66):
I think there was legislation pending around here in KY that would relieve a good Samaritan from civil liability if that good Samaritan were acting in good faith and as a reasonable person would act. Can't recall if it was just for kids or kids and animals.

I think that's right, there's probably a sliding scale of responsibility and again the definition of how a reasonable person would act. I don't think its reasonable to assume that a dog in a car is in imminent danger, if the dog does look distressed the first actions should be to try to find and alert the owner, if they aren't to be found then call the police/relevant authorities. If danger to the animal is imminent then remove it from the car. If you are not sure of the situation (sleeping vs latter stages of heat exhaustion) then try and find out. Is there someone nearby who knows how long the car has been parked? someone who knows the owner? Knock on the window and see if it wakes up. To assume the worst is not a good idea. If we are to do that then why wouldn't we assume that anyman walking with a child down a street isn't in fact her father but that she has been abducted?

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 66):
Threatening violence?

Probably not, but I'd certainly call the police and report criminal damage.

Oftentimes there will be a situation where my wife has the choice of leave the dog home for 6 hrs or have the dog endure 5 minutes in the boot of the car alone whilst she goes and orders the horse feed or takes the baby into the house. Makes little odds to the dog as she is in the boot of the car for 1-2hrs a day anyway. with a nice bit of time in the middle living the life of Riley at my in-laws farm.

Fred

Redd

Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:14 pm

Of course not, I hope you aren't suggesting that I would do such a thing.

I didn't mean to imply that.

By all means if the dog is in distress then go for it but blanket statements that "dogs left in cars = bad" is just plain wrong.

Quite right, but I'd rather have a blanket law rather than leaving it up to individual judgment, or at the very least public educational campaigns. Since we still have people leaving babies in cars on hot days we can safely assume there is a large enough populous doing the same to dogs for us to be concerned. While some people might be slightly inconvenienced by such a law it would surely lead to a decrease in the suffering of dogs, as would a public educational campaign.

flipdewaf

Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:12 pm

Quoting Redd (Reply 68):
I'd rather have a blanket law rather than leaving it up to individual judgment

Well it will be left to individuals to decide what they do anyway, they are the ones in control of their own actions.

Quoting Redd (Reply 68):
or at the very least public educational campaigns.

This should be done

Quoting Redd (Reply 68):
While some people might be slightly inconvenienced by such a law it would surely lead to a decrease in the suffering of dogs,

I'm sure it would, banning cars would also lead to a decrease in road deaths but a blanket ban is a bad solution.

It would be more than a slight inconvenience for me to not be able to leave my dog in the car, why not just say. It's against the law to have a dog left in conditions unsuitable for it, whether that be in a car in a house or in a kennel or wherever. A blanket ban is in my opinion a stupid idea.

Fred

fr8mech

Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:48 pm

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 67):
Probably not, but I'd certainly call the police and report criminal damage.

I guess the outcome would depend on whether the responding officer was a dog-lover or not. K-9 unit maybe.

Though, this is sad and distressing:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/san-juan...p-charged-police-dog-dies-hot-car/

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 67):
dog home for 6 hrs

What's wrong with that? My dogs are routinely at home for 8 - 10 hours without a human waking them from their nap.

photopilot

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:14 am

If someone's going to break my windows in a 7-11 parking lot to save my dog, that someone is simply an idiot.

My local 7-11 is the end unit (outside access) of a large indoor shopping mall. Any car in that parking lot could be there for any length of time.

Personally, I'd call 911 (our emergency line) and ask the police for advice after describing the situation to them. If they tell me to break the window.... pow, it's gone. To call the police, get advice, take action should not take any more than 60 seconds. Problem solved.

fr8mech

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:19 am

Quoting photopilot (Reply 71):
To call the police, get advice, take action should not take any more than 60 seconds. Problem solved.

Actually, the 911 operator will tell you to follow the law. They may even be able to tell you what the law is. More likely, they will dispatch a unit to the scene, so the officer can make a determination.

I wonder...would that be an emergency response, non-emergency, or in-service call?

vikkyvik

Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:48 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 72):
I wonder...would that be an emergency response, non-emergency, or in-service call?

I have no idea. But when I've called 911 and the operator has determined it's not an emergency call, they just transfer me to the local PD.

Which has on at least one occasion not worked out, as I sat on hold for a few minutes before hanging up.

(for reference, I usually call 911 when I see major hazards on the freeways....most times, they tell me they will get a unit out there; in my opinion, those hazards do constitute an emergency)

My local 7-11 is the end unit (outside access) of a large indoor shopping mall. Any car in that parking lot could be there for any length of time.

That's fair. As I noted earlier, all the 7-11s I frequent are standalone units.

Personally, I'd call 911 (our emergency line) and ask the police for advice after describing the situation to them. If they tell me to break the window.... pow, it's gone. To call the police, get advice, take action should not take any more than 60 seconds. Problem solved.

Sounds like a much more reasonable line of action. If the police show up and decide they should break my window, I might be annoyed, but probably won't complain too much.

GSPFlyer

Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:41 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 19):
How do you leave the A/C on but the car closed, two sets of keys ?

I had my key copied at a hardware store so that I have a spare to keep in my wallet just in case I lock my keys in the car. It's incredibly cheap since I didn't have to get one with a chip and have it programmed. It won't start the vehicle since there isn't a chip, but it serves the purpose of unlocking the door in the event that I'm locked out.

Anyways, I could always leave it running, lock the door by hand before I close (electronic locks don't work when the key is in the ignition and the door is open), and then unlock it with the spare.

N867DA

Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:24 pm

Define that. How do you tell a dog or a child is in the later stages of heat stroke or simply sleeping?

The dog would have to be clearly visibly suffering on a very hot day. I guess it's one of those unscientific "I'll know if it I see it" things.

You can't treat a child the same way because it's not an animal. If the kid looks uncomfortable, time to call the cops.

Dogs aren't people.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

fr8mech

Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:39 am

Quoting N867DA (Reply 75):
Dogs aren't people.

No, they aren't, that's why I wouldn't wait until the

kid looks uncomfortable,

I would take the window if the conditions outside (hot, humid, sunny, etc) are present.

In fact, except for the red skin (tongue), late stage heat stroke looks pretty comfortable, because the kid...or dog...is unconscious.

time to call the cops.

Average response time around here is about 8 mins for the police and 4 or so for the fire department. How long has the kid (or dog) been in there?