timz
Topic Author

Ever Drive Your Car On Three Wheels?

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:29 pm

Some streets in San Francisco have 30% grades, and a few houses have garages close enough to the street that the driveway is twisted enough that it's impossible to get the car into the garage without one wheel lifting into the air. Didn't measure it carefully, but I'd say the driveway at one house on Ripley includes a rectangle ten feet long and eight feet wide with three corners at about the same elevation and the fourth corner two feet below the others. How hard is it to get a two-wheel-drive car into that garage?

Francoflier

RE: Ever Drive Your Car On Three Wheels?

Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:49 am

I suspect owners of FWD and RWD cars with no limited slip diff. (i.e. most vehicles) will have to be careful with pulling/backing in their driveways. It might take a bit of getting used to at first.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

PanHAM

Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:33 pm

to answer the question, YES, but luckily enough Police was not around and I did not have to take a breath test.  
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

larshjort

Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:43 pm

I've driven briskly round a corner on a small countryside road where the road was dropping away leaving me with one of the front wheels not touching the ground.

And I've driven a Reliant as well.

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

Aesma

Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:01 pm

My current cars don't have a stiff enough suspension, even driving like a maniac all wheels touch the ground, then the car spins.

Well I guess there's a couple of times I've gone to two wheels or even 0, on a nice speed table near my place, as its design seems made to launch cars into the air.

There are plastic speed cushions at the entry and exit of my work place, and while they don't cause cars to drive on three wheels, they do disrupt traction, I almost had an accident once when a driver cut me off and I had to emergency brake while riding one. Yesterday there was a major traffic jam on my way to work, and it was caused by two cars colliding at that same spot. Probably both from my company.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

falstaff

Re: Ever Drive Your Car On Three Wheels?

Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:43 pm

larshjort wrote:

I always wanted to drive one of those. I have spent a fair amount of time in the North Yorkshire town of Thornton le Dale. There is a guy in town who has one. He only has a drivers seat in it and uses to carry around his lawnmower and gardening equipment. I never met the guy, but I have seen it parked around town a lot.

I don't recall if I ever have had my car on three wheels, but my first car was a 1985 Ford Bronco II. I had that ting on two wheels a couple of times and it scared the hell out of me. Those babies were very prone to roll over.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

jetwet1

Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:24 pm

Yes, at one point I owned a Golf GTI 16v that were well known for lifting their rear leg when going around a corner.

vrbarreto

Re: RE: Ever Drive Your Car On Three Wheels?

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:53 pm

larshjort wrote:
I've driven briskly round a corner on a small countryside road where the road was dropping away leaving me with one of the front wheels not touching the ground.

/Lars

Scimitar or Robin? ☺

falstaff

Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:45 pm

vrbarreto wrote:
Scimitar or Robin?

Don't forget the Rialto,

Now here is a fine three wheeled machine!

vrbarreto

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:50 am

falstaff wrote:
vrbarreto wrote:
Scimitar or Robin?

Don't forget the Rialto,

I can see at least 5 wheels in that photo..

Still better than the 'W' reg Mini Metro I started out in... A car so rubbish that someone broke into it and was only interested in stealing the clip on clock.

A car so rubbish that a gust of wind almost blew it over the cliff top road in Rottingdean..

larshjort

Re: RE: Ever Drive Your Car On Three Wheels?

Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:03 pm

vrbarreto wrote:
larshjort wrote:

/Lars

Scimitar or Robin? ☺

:)

Both, although only a couple of hundred meters in the Robin. My farther owned a Scimitar, I've driven that one a couple of hundred kilometres.
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

falstaff

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:58 pm

The stylish Reliant Railto Estate.... This is the one I was talking about that hangs around Thronton le Dale, North Yorkshire. The building in the photo is the cottage that I usually rent while in town.

flipdewaf

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:15 pm

falstaff wrote:
vrbarreto wrote:
Scimitar or Robin?

Don't forget the Rialto,

Drive past it everyday on my way to work, the 'mechanic' never fails to make me chuckle. Good choice of holiday location btw.

Fred

falstaff

Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:33 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Drive past it everyday on my way to work, the 'mechanic' never fails to make me chuckle. Good choice of holiday location btw.

My friend's house is across the street from there. I usually drink down on the corner at The New Inn. Next time I'm in town we'll have to get together for a pint. I won't be there this year because I'm visiting Ireland instead, but I'll be there in the summer of 2017.

WIederling

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:57 am

falstaff wrote:
The stylish Reliant Railto Estate....

No Bond Bug ?

. . used to go on three wheels all the time:
( not my own one, but the same color. does ~90..95 mpg)
Murphy is an optimist

BartSimpson

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:02 pm

I even went on two wheels once with my parents' Ford Scorpio.

It was during my army days and I overslept so I had to race to the barracks. I took a shortcut over a country road but that one corner was to tight. So I went on the two outer tires and sped into the nearby acre. I remember throwing my body onto the passenger seat to level the car and it helped. I then returned to to the road and drove on to the barracks.

After duty I wanted to drive home when my sergeant showed me a flat tire. We replaced it and I went directly to our local Ford dealer to repair the tire. He found out that a lot of mud had accumulated between rubber and rim. That's why the tire was deflated slowly but steadily.

But the best was yet to come. Since my parents didn't know about my stunt they declared that I should never again park on those muddy parking lots. "You see what happens then..."