Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Another USA Mass Shooting - This Time Gays Part 2

Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:33 am

Please continue discussion here. As this is a hot topic please be respectful of other members and stay within forum rules

Another USA Mass Shooting - Gays This Time! (by photopilot Jun 12 2016 in Non Aviation)

pu

RE: Another USA Mass Shooting - This Time Gays Part 2

Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:49 am

Contrasting policy solutions for US voters to consider:

I. "We need to keep guns like the ones used last night out of the hands of terrorists or other violent criminals."

or

II. "...killer shouted "Allah hu Akbar!" as he slaughtered clubgoers.. I called it and asked for the ban..Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism..."

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/media

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump?lang=en

cpd

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:01 am

I really don't know what to say.   And then I happened to read about the Westboro Baptists and their behaviour in response this.  

Edit: On Trump, he is just a populist trying to get as much media attention as possible. He isn't President, so he doesn't have to listen to intelligence analysts. He can do as he wishes with no problems at all and no consequences. It's very easy on the sidelines. He will discover that things aren't so easy when he is President.

[Edited 2016-06-13 02:06:40]

SOBHI51

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:02 am

Of course Trump wants to score some points after this tragedy, but he must be the only one claiming that the shooter shouted Allah U Akbar.

Trump will be really disappointed when it will be discovered that it was a anti gay murder and not a terrorist act

BTW when was the last tie an ISIS terrorist called 911 before committing his crime?

[Edited 2016-06-13 02:11:10]

PlanesNTrains

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:02 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 5):
And then I happened to read about the Westboro Baptists and their behaviour in response this.  

Why would you do that to yourself?

-Dave

tommy1808

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:09 am

From Part one:

Quote:
"We've studied prayer and have shown that it is a net negative". I have a feeling that there are benefits to prayer that can't be measured.

If it has an effect, it can be measured. That was pretty much the criticism that the Tempelton Foundation did face when their large prayer study didn´t yield what religious people wanted "Of course the effects of Prayer are testable".

Quote:
And if you're a victim and you DO buy into "that praying bs", telling someone "Prayer is bs" is the same as saying "There's no hope".

.... or it is like telling them "Hold on, if you go, there is no coming back. Fight! Its the only life you ever get".

I don´t think we can device an ethical experiment to find out what works better.

Quote:
we were asked to pray. Why is that?

Death or risk of a loved one dying is a good trigger for losing ones reason. Fatally ill people also try the weirdest stuff...

Quote:
There might be truth in that, but of course there's no way of knowing outside of an "empirical study".

I am quite surprised that such a study doesn´t seem to exist. Or my Googe-Fu isn´t strong enough.....

Quote:
Well then think of it as Hospice. They may go a pinch faster, but they went in peace.

There is some pretty good indication that religious people go less peaceful then the rest:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7949111.stm

I guess they got too much "we are all sinners" cool aid....

Of course it is hard to say how much correlation there is between religiosity and being afraid of death from the onset....

best regards
Thomas

Indy

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:10 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 6):
Trump said he heard that he said that, but no confirmation from other sources.

Trump is unstable. I don't trust him in any way and don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. The killer is 100% American. Born and raised here. Doubt he would have shouted god is great in Arabic.

When was the last time an ISIS terrorist called 911 before blowing up himself?

Exactly. Any calls from the Paris guys to police? Doubtful. They don't play games. I think this was nothing more than another scumbag trying to kill people he hated and stirring things up before he left. What would people be saying if the guy from Indiana pulled this off and stated he was a Trump supporter. People would immediately dismiss the comments as being nutty. But say ISIS and people jump to conclusions. The guy was a loser that couldn't simply do the world a favor and eat a bullet in private. I know that is a horrible thing to say but it is the truth.

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:17 am

Trump will be really disappointed when it will be discovered that it was a anti gay murder and not a terrorist act

While the two are not mutually exclusive and this is obvious bullshit, youre probably just saying this so you don't have to bother gritting your teeth and condemning it.

SOBHI51

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:24 am

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 11):
youre probably just saying this so you don't have to bother gritting your teeth and condemning it.

Just read all the way down

PlanesNTrains

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:25 am

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 9):
I don´t think we can device an ethical experiment to find out what works better.

Ya think?

If it has an effect, it can be measured. That was pretty much the criticism that the Tempelton Foundation did face when their large prayer study didn´t yield what religious people wanted "Of course the effects of Prayer are testable".

I think it's laughable trying to measure prayer, but that's just me.

Death or risk of a loved one dying is a good trigger for losing ones reason. Fatally ill people also try the weirdest stuff...

Ha ha. Well played. I actually knew that'd be your answer. Truth be told, it'd be mine too if I didn't have my beliefs.

There is some pretty good indication that religious people go less peaceful then the rest:

Again, I think it's pretty amazing that there's a measure of such a thing but I guess where there's a will....

Quoting Indy (Reply 10):
The killer is 100% American. Born and raised here. Doubt he would have shouted god is great in Arabic.

Did you not get introduced to his father yet? He's running for President of Afghanistan apparently. FWIW, probably not a viable candidate. Come to think of it, he should join the clown trio we have now and make it a foursome.

-Dave

SOBHI51

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:26 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 5):
He will discover that things aren't so easy when he is President.

You mean IF he becomes president   

Indy

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:27 am

Someone mentioned the Westboro Baptist Church earlier. I looked them up on Google maps and saw something funny. This is the house across the street. Cracks me up.

http://media.carbonated.tv/107900_story__WBC.jpg

cpd

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:29 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 14):

you are more of an optimist than me.

QFA380

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:30 am

Repeat after me:
it has nothing to do with Islam

Almost every Muslim in the world believes gay people are immoral.

pvjin

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:33 am

But the guy called 911 and said he supports ISIS or whatever, sounds like a statement an Islamic terrorist would make to me.

I mean, sure in all likelihood this guy was a loser who would have probably just shot himself if ISIS wasn't around to give him ideas and a justification. Yet where do we draw the line between "terrorism" and random mass murder? I'm sure many people who travel from the west to join ISIS have mental health issues and such too.

[Edited 2016-06-13 02:33:19]

[Edited 2016-06-13 03:16:24]

HGL

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:42 am

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 212):
Empirical data suggests otherwise. The only large scale study conducted showed a small, but significant, negative effect of praying.

Perhaps you'd like to provide a link to that study. It would make interesting reading.

While I am not religious I really don't understand why anyone could get their knickers in a twist over somebody wishing them well. I mean, when people pray they re not typically saying "hurry up and die, you b...." They are wishing you well, even in instances where they might think the case is hopeless.

But prayer does not mean doing nothing. Earlier I mentioned that there had been thousands of people offering blood in response to this tragedy. There is every possibility that some of those donors are religiously inclined and offered up a prayer. That prayer may have helped them gather their thoughts, overcome the shock of the event and do something positive. Is that a bad thing?

To some people religion is just nonsense and the absence of reason. Yet some of the responses here would suggest that among those hostile to religion there is also sometimes an absence of reason and a level of intolerance as great as among those they condemn. And if prayer does nothing to help, how does criticising those who do pray help others? Short answer: it doesn't.

I know one thing for certain. If I am ever in a position where I need emergency assistance I will be only too happy to receive it from anyone and not insist on seeing their membership card of the atheists' association. If whoever renders me help says a little prayer, I will be grateful that they helped and not ridicule them because my beliefs differ.

Indy

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:47 am

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 18):

You will probably also find that most Christians find it immoral as well. So does it mean that because people do bad things in the name of Christianity that it is a reflection on all Christians? Had the guy from Indiana not gotten caught would you be condemning Christians as well? Does the Westboro Baptist Church represent Christianity? Lets not point the finger at religion. I am no fan of religion but hate and ignorance is the problem here.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:47 am

I would imagine that the numbers are pretty high for Christians as well.

-Dave

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:51 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 12):

Just read all the way down

You just said it wasnt terrorism.

SOBHI51

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:51 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 19):
But the guy called 9/11 and said he supports ISIS or whatever, sounds like a statement an Islamic terrorist would make to me

Again, have you ever heard of an ISIS terrorist doing that?
That phone call suggests to me that he wanted to die as a hero, in his mind, and a cover up for killing gay people. Let's wait and see.

Quoting cpd (Reply 16):
you are more of an optimist than me.

I can't believe that the Americans will be fooled all the way till November.

QFA380

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:54 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 22):
So does it mean that because people do bad things in the name of Christianity that it is a reflection on all Christians?

Who does bad things in the name of Christianity?

The boogyman? That imaginary evil straight white Christian that keeps lefties up at night?

Or is that not baking a cake is 'bad' if committed by a Christian but slaughtering 50 people is it has nothing to do with Islam if done by a Mohammedan?

SOBHI51

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:56 am

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 24):
You just said it wasnt terrorism.

It wasn't, so why do i need to condemn it? It's a murder like thousand of murders happening around the world daily, should i condemn each one?

Did you condemned the killing of the lady singer a couple of days ago in Florida? Just asking.

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:59 am

You don't need to do anything. Burying your head int he sand to become a denier to the obvious and does you no favors, and i doubt you give a shit in the first place.

SOBHI51

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:00 am

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 26):
but slaughtering 50 people is it has nothing to do with Islam if done by a Mohammedan?

If it was an action against gay people, then no, religion did have nothing to do with it if this is the case.
BTW we prefer to be called Muslims, not Mohammedan, unless you call Christians Jesusians.

SOBHI51

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:10 am

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 28):
You don't need to do anything. Burying your head int he sand to become a denier to the obvious and does you no favors, and i doubt you give a shit in the first place.

Wow, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? Denying what? We don't have all the facts yet. Need no favors, where did you see me asking for it, and of course i care otherwise i wouldn't be up at 6 am having this conversation and replying to your insults in a very civilised way.
BTW i never denied that there is a problem with extremists Muslims, and i always condemned any terrorist attack executed by those criminals.

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:10 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 29):

If it was an action against gay people, then no, religion did have nothing to do with it if this is the case.

Yes, and paris was actually not terrorism either but an attack on rock music fans and late-supper eaters. Nothing to do with Islam.

Indy

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:11 am

You really need to pay attention to the news more. Maybe news in your area just focuses on crimes linked to ISIS. Pretty much anything in the U.S. done related to abortion clinics is done in the name of religion. These nuts claim to be doing god's work. That doesn't include the violence against the gay community. But to do what you do and equate the nuts to Islam is like equating clinic bombers, doctor murderers, hate crime committers and the loons at the Westboro Baptist Church to the general Christian population. People do bad things in the name of religion. Is this Islam? Then the Crusades are Christianity.

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:11 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 30):
BTW i never denied that there is a problem with extremists Muslims, and i always condemned any terrorist attack executed by those criminals.

But obviously this in no way qualifies.

pvjin

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:15 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 25):
Again, have you ever heard of an ISIS terrorist doing that?
That phone call suggests to me that he wanted to die as a hero, in his mind, and a cover up for killing gay people. Let's wait and see.

Not really, but as 911 calls are recorded it seems like a decent way to make a statement about his motives. Obviously I doubt he was a member of ISIS or even connected to them, but he could have been influenced by them.

Quoting Indy (Reply 32):
Is this Islam? Then the Crusades are Christianity.

Yes and yes. Based on the holy texts and the long history of these religions I would say different shades of intolerance and violence are much more typical to them than tolerance and peace. The world becomes suddenly a much more logical place when you realize that people suck and the core of all Abrahamic religions is equally violent and intolerant.

[Edited 2016-06-13 03:20:48]

SOBHI51

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:17 am

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 33):
But obviously this in no way qualifies.

Not yet, i said it before let's wait and see, have a lot of experience in life and i always learned not to jump to conclusions before having all the facts, maybe you should do that also.

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 31):
Yes, and paris was actually not terrorism either but an attack on rock music fans and late-supper eaters. Nothing to do with Islam.

On the contrary, it was.

Indy

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:19 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 34):
but he could have been influenced by them

Or he could have been influenced by Rock & Roll or video games. We've heard these tired stories for years. At least us older people have   The guy was mentally ill and killed people. The rest doesn't matter.

SOBHI51

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:20 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 34):
but he could have been influenced by them.

That's a possibility but again let's wait and see
We have a saying back home { why pay for the news today if you can get for free tomorrow?}

SOBHI51

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:24 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 36):
At least us older people have  

If you call yourself old people then what should i call myself at 65?   

Indy

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:27 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 38):
If you call yourself old people then what should i call myself at 65?   

lol um... look at the time. I think I have to be somewhere else  

SOBHI51

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:38 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 39):
look at the time. I think I have to be somewhere else  

Don't worry, my children call me the Dinosaur.   

QFA380

Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:07 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 29):

Ah it is just intense homophobia and coincidentally the person belongs to an ideology that has a habit of killing people.

Quoting Indy (Reply 32):
hate crime committers

Well it's easy to call someone a hate criminal when you say not baking a cake is a hate crime. To paraphrase the proverbial, 'the leftie who cried hate crime'.

Quoting Indy (Reply 32):
Is this Islam? Then the Crusades are Christianity.

Ahh the Crusades, the left's get out a corner free card. Wow quite shocking you have to go back hundreds of years to a war. One need only go back a few hours to find Islam's latest atrocity. Orlando is old news in the world is Islamic mass murder, it's been over 24 hours!

einsteinboricua

Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:19 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 2):
"Islamic Terrorist"

What good will it do to say "radical Islam"? Let's say it's acknowledged by the president. Then what? That won't make it go away.

Many Christians also believe gay people are immoral. Your point?

Don't we have clerks across the country denying people marriage licenses because it's bad (using their beliefs to do it)? Don't we have politicians denying LGBT equal rights and protection and fomenting discrimination and turning a blind eye to things like these?

As for shootings and bombings, no one will probably fit in the description because they always describe them as "lone wolves". The SC church shooter? Lone wolf. The Planned Parenthood shooter? Lone wolf. The Norwegian killer? Lone wolf.

This guy? Representing all of Islam.

tommy1808

Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:36 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 13):
Ya think?

Yeah.. i got the feeling that would be Mengele grade science....

I think it's laughable trying to measure prayer, but that's just me.

The effect of prayer, not prayer itself. If it has an effect, it can be measured, even if it is something diffuse like "feeling better/stronger/whatever" ...

Ha ha. Well played. I actually knew that'd be your answer.

Well, it is the only reasonable one. Or just respect for the believes of the niece and her parents .... "there is no heaven - the only way she lives on is in our hearts and memories" is not exactly what you want to tell believing parents, as true as it is.

Again, I think it's pretty amazing that there's a measure of such a thing but I guess where there's a will....

I am not surprised at all - only that it took so long for studies like that to be made,. Because anecdotes out of hospitals, retirement homes and hospices about religious people hardly going peaceful had been plenty.

best regards
Thomas

na

Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:44 pm

Ok, another massacre in the US. Business as usual. As long as NRA-Blockheads rule the gun law discussion, the audience can sit back, grab some popcorn and wait for the next mass shooting.

casinterest

Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:59 pm

I have been away from the computer this weekend,
I offer my condolences to the friends and families that were lost in this tragic attack.

There is already a big political dance around this shooting, but the facts currently point to a very imbalanced(Possibly bipolar, on steroids) individual that passed FBI investigations, obtained guns "Legally", worked for a security firm that had at it's core a mission to help companies understand and mitigate risk from a security perspective. We know that he claimed allegiance to ISIS/ISIL, but more needs to be found to see whether this was a wannabe association, or whether he had training or contact with ISIS/ISIL before hand.

His motivation may have been pure hate for LGBT based on the statement by his father, rather than as a statement for ISIS/ISIL. More investigations will be needed.

His security training gave him a tactical advantage in this attack, and I am sure there will be some second guessing amongst his work associates about what they may have missed.

The FBI investigations and then the remaining access to guns is probably going to be a political football for the next few weeks. This man was on the radar, and yet was cleared for access to purchase weapons.

pvjin

Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:12 pm

Quoting na (Reply 44):
Ok, another massacre in the US. Business as usual. As long as NRA-Blockheads rule the gun law discussion, the audience can sit back, grab some popcorn and wait for the next mass shooting.

I would expect the next one to happen in Europe rather than the US. Strict gun laws don't help much here when any clown can cross the Mediterranean with some AK47's and bullets and then claim asylum. At least Americans have a bigger mass of water between them and areas where most terrorists come from, so perhaps there tighter gun laws could actually work.

einsteinboricua

Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:15 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 46):
The GOP gets to run with their Muslimz R Evyl routine and completely ignore the homophobia aspect, as per usual.

What's interesting is that they're in a tough spot. Besides offering thoughts and prayers, what else can they do? Mourn the victims? That would mean they sympathize with the LGBT community which is a SIN! But if they say nothing it means they sympathize with the shooter and they also want to save face.

On social media it was reported that besides Marco Rubio no other prominent Republican official mentioned LGBT (and Rubio only went as far as to suggest that we all be treated equally)., which makes you wonder if somewhere deep inside they really didn't want to offer "thoughts and prayers".

MaverickM11

Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:34 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 47):
I would expect the next one to happen in Europe rather than the US. Strict gun laws don't help much here when any clown can cross the Mediterranean with some AK47's and bullets and then claim asylum.

Why aren't they doing that now *all* the time? It's just open season on a "gun free zone" 
Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 48):
On social media it was reported that besides Marco Rubio no other prominent Republican official mentioned LGBT (and Rubio only went as far as to suggest that we all be treated equally)., which makes you wonder if somewhere deep inside they really didn't want to offer "thoughts and prayers".

I think the thoughts and prayers are thanking Jesus it was a Muslim and they can save face and ignore the gays.

Cadet985

Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:55 pm

Quoting Doc:

"it does. The line of "anti-gay" is drawn when you think gay people are inherently deserving of less rights than you. Just because you don't want to line us up and shoot all of us doesn't absolve you of your anti-gay sentiment. "

My belief against gay marriage is because of how I was brought up. Marriage also isn't a right, to anyone, gay, straight, etc. People of different sexual preference should have every right any other person has.

Marc

MaverickM11

Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:55 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 46):
islaaaaaaamuc terrorism, which kills about as many Americans as lightning

I lied, terrorism kills about a quarter as many Americans as lightning.

mham001

Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:00 pm

Quoting na (Reply 44):

Because the gun laws worked so well in Paris and Brussels.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 48):
That would mean they sympathize with the LGBT community which is a SIN!

It is not clear if you are raving about Christians or Republicans. They were innocent people and in that regard they most certainly would be sympathized in Christianity. They would not get special sympathy because they were gay, however, which seems to be the message I see in the headlines this morning.

pvjin

Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:01 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/orlando-...tag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=25480658

Apparently the shooters father is a Taliban supporter. At least officially he's saying that homosexuals should be left for Allah to punish, but it's now easy to see where those anti-gay attitudes came from, and they are pretty clearly linked to religion.

na

Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 52):

Cant you see there is a difference between organised terrorist groups and individual nutcases like this Aghan-American?

MaverickM11

Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:17 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 52):

Math is not that hard. Nor is google. So why don't we stop saying demonstrably dumb, false things, hrmm? Quoting Scorpio:

"France: 2.83 gun deaths per 100,000 people.
USA: 10.54 gun deaths per 100,000 people."

The gun homicide rates (we have to exclude suicides because Jesus or something according to the NRA) are even more disparate. So yes, gun laws are working just fine in France.

Quoting BMI727:
"Well that makes you a hypocrite. You're all for people having freedom as long as they are people that you like who use freedom in ways you agree with. By that standard pretty much every despot in the history of the world is very much pro-freedom too, so you'll have plenty of company.
"
Yes despot! Tyranny! Fascism! And other words! Look at you putting on your big boy panties, getting up on your sanctimonious horse of freedom, and supporting discrimination in the name of freedom. So brave of you to fight for freedom to discriminate as a straight, white male. That is still racism, no matter how many times you repeat "freedom" or call others "hypocrite". It's also why no politician of any respectability would ever dare to even mention the idea because it's so patently racist.

flipdewaf

Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:22 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 50):
Marriage also isn't a right,

The universal declaration of human rights, Article 16, section 1. Read it.

Fred