zrs70
Topic Author

Netanyahu responds to Orlando

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:20 pm

I don't see eye to eye with much of this Prime Minister. But he is spot on here:

www.facebook.com/IsraeliPM/videos/1339013092780099/

"In Orlando, a terrorist walks into a nightclub and murders nearly 50 human beings. Sons and daughters, brothers and sisters cut down in cold blood.

They did nothing wrong. They were dancing with friends, they were enjoying music with loved ones.

Why did the terrorist murder them?
Because he was driven by a fanatical hatred.

He targeted the LGBT community because he believed they were evil.

Now, the murderer wasn't alone.

Regimes and terrorist organizations around the world ruthlessly persecute the LGBT community.

In Syria, ISIS throws gays off rooftops.
In Iran, the regime hangs gays from cranes.

Too many people have remained silent in the face of this awful persecution.

This week's shooting wasn't merely an attack on the LGBT community. It was an attack on all of us, on our common values of freedom and diversity and choice.

Radical Islamist terror makes no distinction between shades of infidel.

This week it was gays in Orlando. A few days before that it was Jews in Tel Aviv. Before that it was music fans in Paris; Travelers in Brussels; Yazidis in Iraq; Community workers in San Bernardino; Christians and journalists in Syria.

All of us are targets.

We believe that all people are created in the image of God.

ISIS, by contrast, believes that all people who aren't just like them deserve to die.

We will not be terrified into submission.
We will fight back. And we will triumph.

Today I ask you to reach out to friends in the LGBT community. Comfort them.
Tell them you stand together, we stand together as one. And that you will always remember the victims.

Tell them they will never be alone, that we are all one family deserving of dignity, deserving of life.

I have no doubt that those who seek to spread hate and fear will be defeated.

Working together we will defeat them even faster.

We need to stand united, resolute in the belief that all people regardless of their sexual orientation, regardless of their race, regardless of their ethnicity, all people deserve respect, deserve dignity."
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

einsteinboricua

Re: Netanyahu responds to Orlando

Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:37 pm

I agree with the message and appreciate the sentiment. However, I can't help feeling this is the news it is because it was a Muslim. Every day, a member of the LGBT somewhere is attacked or harassed. Notice how when a white supremacist attacked a Black church, no one called it a terror attack or a radical Christian or even a white supremacist. The intent was the same.

Again, I don't disagree with the Prime Minister. I'm heartened that he spoke out on the issue. But call me skeptical for believing this is just a "you see? we also suffer from 'radical Muslims'" moment.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

piedmont762

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:57 pm

I agree with his message.

n229nw

Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:01 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
But call me skeptical for believing this is just a "you see? we also suffer from 'radical Muslims'" moment.

That sums up my thoughts. I am very upset by the sudden outpouring of "sympathy" for LGBT people by conservatives who only care because they are using the situation to promote hatred and fear of another group (Muslims), rather than because they genuinely care about LGBT rights. Suddenly Pam Bondi is interested in gay rights? Uh-huh...

Or Donald Trump using this as an excuse to gloat about his policy of not admitting Muslims to the U.S. as though the shooter weren't born here? And all while insisting that people who are steroid users with histories of domestic violence should be able to carry AR-15s? If this guy hadn't embraced ISIS, he would have done it in the name of some other cause. He clearly had issues, including hating himself for being gay.

The police stopped a white guy on the way to L.A. pride who was seemingly planning to do the same thing there. If the white Christian guy had succeeded and the Muslim guy in Orlando been stopped, would these same politicians be spending so much time expressing their sympathy for LGBT victims? I'm betting my bottom dollar we wouldn't hear a peep out of them--except to say "Oh that guy was just crazy."

More than the cynicism of it, it is the promotion of further prejudice and hatred that galls me. Twisting tragedy to justify war, state-led atrocities (in Netanyahu's case), etc.? No thanks.

I recently saw a vigil where LGBT and Muslim community leaders came together to condemn the shooting and commiserate. That felt more real.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

solarflyer22

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:10 pm

He's a pure propagandist. Syria had the most secular, non-religious regime in the middle east (which he lobbied to topple over the Golan Heights deal) and now he's saying they kill gays? That's ISIS, not Assad.

In Iran, gay rights issues are greatly exaggerated. I am Iranian and I've been there recently. No one is executed to my knowledge purely for being gay. There are a large number of people executed for child sex abuse, and who yes are also gay, but they are not executed strictly for being gay.

He's one of the most consistent liars I've ever seen actually. Even his cabinet admitted it.

cpd

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:54 pm

I suspect he is only concerned about this very tragic incident because he can use it to further his own political motives, rather than being genuinely concerned for the injured, the deceased and their families.

SpaceshipDC10

Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:24 pm

cpd wrote:
I suspect he is only concerned about this very tragic incident because he can use it to further his own political motives, rather than being genuinely concerned for the injured, the deceased and their families.

Does this surprises you coming from him?

AAPilot

Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:56 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
I agree with the message and appreciate the sentiment. However, I can't help feeling this is the news it is because it was a Muslim. Every day, a member of the LGBT somewhere is attacked or harassed. Notice how when a white supremacist attacked a Black church, no one called it a terror attack or a radical Christian or even a white supremacist. The intent was the same.

Again, I don't disagree with the Prime Minister. I'm heartened that he spoke out on the issue. But call me skeptical for believing this is just a "you see? we also suffer from 'radical Muslims'" moment.

Everyone called Dylan Roof a white supremacist and sometimes terrorist. The thing is he was a crazy loon that didn't belong to any larger wider ideology or terror group. You can count on one hand how many white supremacist mass murder have happened since the 1960s.

LAX772LR

Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:23 am

AAPilot wrote:
You can count on one hand how many white supremacist mass murder have happened since the 1960s.

I would call that laughably false, were it not so tragically misinformed.

Just a few examples:

1) June 2015, Black church killings, S.Carolina
2) April 2014, Overland Jewish Community Center killings, Kansas
3) August 2012, Smith/Joekel deputy killings in trailer park, Louisiana
4) August 2012, Sikh temple killings, Wisconsin
5) October 2011, Perdersen/Grisgby killing spree, Washington/Oregon/California
6) June 2009, Holocaust Museum killing, DC -- only one actual dead, many attempted
7) May 2009, Gaxiola/Bush killings, Arizona
8) April 2009, Cartwright deputy killings, Florida
9) April 2009, Poplawski deputy killings, Pennsylvania
10) January 2009, Luke killings, Massachusetts
11) July 2008, gay Unitarian Church killings, Tennessee (though gays were the target, Adkisson was a known white supremacist)

.....and that's just going back less than a decade, still 38 more years to go before we hit the '60s. So, yeahhhh. :?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

AAPilot

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:02 pm

Half of those are nothing more than shootouts with police and many other can't be described as "mass shootings".

Aesma

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Israel's treatment of gays might be okay (I don't know) but for other minorities (or majorities, depending on the point of view), that's another story. Then there is the fact that it's a theocracy trying to become purer (more Jews, less non Jews), with laws preventing people from marrying non religiously, etc. Then there is the influence of US evangelicals. I wouldn't rule out Israel becoming worse for gays in the future, instead of better.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

photopilot

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:59 pm

Perhaps now Netanyahu would like to address, equally forcefully the terrorism committed by Israel against the Palestinians. Wouldn't that be something to hear, condemnation of Israeli terrorism.