CPH-R
Topic Author

2016 24 Hours of Le Mans

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:50 pm

It's been a very wet second day of qualifying. How wet? The safety car went sideways trying to negotiate a corner :shock:

Elsewhere, the fabulous looking Ford GT's have shed their sandbags and shown their actual pace, taking 4 out of the top 5 places in GTE Pro. And sadly, their rivals from Corvette appears to have taken on said sandbags, as they're a good 4 seconds off the pace. Although thanks to the rotten weather this evening, we've only got last night's qualifying to go on, and that was plagued with slow zones and yellow flag zones.

ElpinDAB

Re: 2016 24 Hours of Le Mans

Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:55 pm

The race is about to start on a wet track under a flag under the R8 safety car.

I'm a bit excited to see the GTE battle. Porsche and Audi should also be an interesting battle for the overall win.

spotter's guide:
http://www.spotterguides.com/portfolio/16lm/

Live streaming coverage by Ford:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq8Slcs84Ic

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/porsche-lmp1-le-mans-2016-2-e1465988304109.jpg

Aesma

Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:21 pm

I hadn't followed endurance for some time. I'm glad to see that more emphasis has been put to try and equalize performance between cars, although I still think the classes should be simplified, having all those various technologies, engine sizes, various turbo boost, hybridation, etc. means you don't really know who is better.

It seems Hollywood has decided to come see the race, and they're welcomed with heavy rain ! It has been raining for weeks in France, 2 weeks ago there were historic floods even, with some parts of Paris under water. Yesterday evening I was on the highway back from Belgium and at some point I was wondering if I was driving or sailing, all my car's lamps turned on, the windshield wipers on full speed, and still I couldn't see the road, I just followed the car in front !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

CPH-R
Topic Author

Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:24 pm

7-and-a-bit hours in and a lovely pink'ish hue over the Circuit de la Sarthe. What a change from the weather that was present at the start!

Great battles across the various categories, especially the much anticipated GTE Pro, with two Ford GT's in the lead, but still a Ferrari 488 within 20 seconds of the lead. After 7 hours of racing!

CPH-R
Topic Author

Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:00 pm

UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE. My heart goes out to the Toyota Gazoo Racing team. Losing the lead due to the car dying on them with 5 minutes to go... I'm speechless.

AirPacific747

Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:15 pm

Almost seems too unfortunate to be true

Charles79

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:05 pm

Very bad luck indeed but that is racing sometimes. A chap once said that in racing it is sometimes better to be lucky than to be good. On the other hand, the whole purpose of the race is to test endurance over 24 hours, not 23 hours and 54 minutes. That being the case, the better car won.

L-188

Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:05 am

I just got done watching the Steve McQueen movie about that race.

Glad to see it is still going on.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

B777LRF

Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:05 am

It was another fantastic year, with a more competitive field in LMP1 than has been seen for quite a few years. The atmosphere around the track was, once again, something truly special that you'll only find at Le Mans.

Unfortunately both Ferrari and Ford had managed to get away with severe sandbagging at the pre-quals, where the ACO make last-minute changes to ensure a tight race. Whatever they did, it meant Corvette, Aston Martin and Porsche didn't have a snowballs chance, and I for one will not be surprised if both Ford and Ferrari are made to feel the error of their ways at next years race; the ACO has a long memory and does not take lightly to being 'cheated' off creating a competitive race.

But the drama in LMP1 more than made up for the lack of same in GTE. I'm not a Toyota fan, but on Thursday following the quail I told my mates this would be their year. And it very much was, shuffling position with Porsche all the way through the race. They didn't put a foot wrong, until 180 seconds before the end of the race. Grown men were seen crying in the Toyota pit, and I for one feel very sorry for them. Toyota's demise also meant Audi secured a 3rd place and thus kept their record of being on the podium of every single Le Mans since 1999. But they most certainly didn't deserve it; their car was slow and ugly and the team didn't do anything to help out. Dr. Ulrich was not happy about 3rd place, particularly not when it was won the way it was. There's a lot of honour involved at Le Mans, and Audi did not earn their 3rd place.

Friday evening 'someone' forgot to close the barriers at the Porsche curves. That meant me and 3 mates was able to bicycle all the way from Arnage to Tetre Rouge, including the climb up from the start/finish straight to the Dunlop bridge. Trust you me, that piece of road is way steeper than it appears on TV, or even from the side of the track! It was an epic journey, cutting the curbs at the Porsche curves and Ford Chicane, going under the Dunlop bridge and stopping by the pitwall to have a look at the mechanics doing their thing.

We also did a helicopter ride over the track, 110EUR for 8 minutes of fun, around dusk on Saturday evening. The pilot gave it all it could handle, but the cars down on Mulsanne was still passing us at a considerable clip. They had 8 helicopters doing constant tours, and if you add the tv helicopter there was a constant swarm of 9 whirlybirds over the track.

All in all, and apart from the rather atrocious weather, it was another great race. If anyone's going in 2018, we'll see you there!
Signature. You just read one.

CPH-R
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:26 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Unfortunately both Ferrari and Ford had managed to get away with severe sandbagging at the pre-quals, where the ACO make last-minute changes to ensure a tight race. Whatever they did, it meant Corvette, Aston Martin and Porsche didn't have a snowballs chance, and I for one will not be surprised if both Ford and Ferrari are made to feel the error of their ways at next years race; the ACO has a long memory and does not take lightly to being 'cheated' off creating a competitive race.

From my 'nest' at home, it really looked like the ACO were doing everything they could to ensure a Ford win. Absolutely atrocious how race control gave the #82 Ferrari a stop&go penalty with 20-something minutes to run, for failing to have their leader lights turned on correctly, when several of the P1 cars had had the same faults for hours earlier in the race without being penalised.

But the drama in LMP1 more than made up for the lack of same in GTE. I'm not a Toyota fan, but on Thursday following the quail I told my mates this would be their year. And it very much was, shuffling position with Porsche all the way through the race. They didn't put a foot wrong, until 180 seconds before the end of the race. Grown men were seen crying in the Toyota pit, and I for one feel very sorry for them. Toyota's demise also meant Audi secured a 3rd place and thus kept their record of being on the podium of every single Le Mans since 1999. But they most certainly didn't deserve it; their car was slow and ugly and the team didn't do anything to help out. Dr. Ulrich was not happy about 3rd place, particularly not when it was won the way it was. There's a lot of honour involved at Le Mans, and Audi did not earn their 3rd place.

Absolutely agreed, in the last few hours I was so on for a Toyota win at last (they really should have won it with the GT-One), my heart pretty much skipped a beat everytime the #6 car ran into trouble.

As for Audi, I agree with the Radio Le Mans analysis that Audi had brought their new car a year too soon. Had they brought the old car, they would have been so much more competitive.

Friday evening 'someone' forgot to close the barriers at the Porsche curves. That meant me and 3 mates was able to bicycle all the way from Arnage to Tetre Rouge, including the climb up from the start/finish straight to the Dunlop bridge. Trust you me, that piece of road is way steeper than it appears on TV, or even from the side of the track! It was an epic journey, cutting the curbs at the Porsche curves and Ford Chicane, going under the Dunlop bridge and stopping by the pitwall to have a look at the mechanics doing their thing.

Apparently one of the cars that was retired prior to the race ending, had been stuck in 6th gear, and they simply couldn't get it up through the Dunlop chicane and over the hill.

All in all, and apart from the rather atrocious weather, it was another great race. If anyone's going in 2018, we'll see you there!

I'm really crossing fingers I'll be able to scrape together the funds to go. Toyota have said they'll be back and aiming to win, and Audi's new car was really built for next year anyway, so Porsche is going to have their hands full trying to take a third straight win. Then again, with the luck they had this year... :mrgreen:

Aesma

Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:41 pm

Paint the Audi black and you get the batmobile !

18th win for Porsche

18th participation, 0 win for Toyota, poor chaps !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

CPH-R
Topic Author

Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:38 pm

https://youtu.be/tIIPAXYIOng?t=33760 - the second the Radio Le Mans commentators first noticed the Toyota #5 was slowing down.