Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flipdewaf
Topic Author

EU referendum today

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:39 am

So voting has begun, I voted at 07:00 this morning whilst out walking the dog.

My prediction is remain to win 55:45.

If I didn't have a 10 week old baby I'd be up tonight watching the results come in.

Fred

TheSonntag

Re: EU referendum today

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:30 am

I Keep my fingers crossed that you vote remain. I want a strong Britain inside the EU. No win for Murdoch, please!

vrbarreto

Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:35 am

I'm voting on the way home tonight after work...
Remain all the way.. Every time I've wavered over the vote I've thought the following:

Johnson, Gove, Farage, Hamiltons. Both sides have lied through their teeth.. Only one side has been openly racist and xenophobic.

scbriml

Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:42 am

vrbarreto wrote:
Every time I've wavered over the vote I've thought the following:

Johnson, Gove, Farage, Hamiltons.

Add George Galloway to that list. It's more than enough to make any sensible person vote Remain. ;)

I'll be voting on my way to the gym later.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

BartSimpson

Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:20 am

flipdewaf wrote:

That was exactly my sentiment this morning.

Dano1977

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:05 am

My prediction is 60/40 to remain - With a turn out around 48% to 55%

The bookies are giving odds on 3/1 to remain and 8/1 to leave. - But during the general election they got it wrong offering 1/10 for No overall control and 10/1 conservative majority.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

na

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:05 pm

flipdewaf wrote:

If I didn't have a 10 week old baby I'd be up tonight watching the results come in.

Fred

If you have a 10 week old baby (congratulations btw!) you´ll surely have some opportunity to watch TV in the night;-) Unless you are a lucky chap with a quiet sweety.
I am with you, I think "remaIN" will win by a small, but noticeable margin. The quiet majority usually votes for the safer alternative.
If the UK stays in the EU it will strengthen the country´s position and hopefully weaken our chancellor Merkels "We cant protect our borders"-nonsense.

vrbarreto

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:37 pm

1/10 for remain and 4/1 to leave at the moment with William Hill

I personally believe (and am thankful) that Farage has done the biggest load of damage to the Leave campaign.

His toxic campaigning was a reminder to everyone that is an odious twerp who revels in gutter politics.

A lot of the time the leave campaign had to spend time distancing itself from him when it could have been instead campaigning on the economic arguments.

bmacleod

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:42 pm

It would seem MP Jo Cox's death has moved the country slightly to the Remain side. If she wasn't murdered, perhaps the Leaves would win.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

flipdewaf
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:06 pm

na wrote:
Unless you are a lucky chap with a quiet sweety.
Much as it seems to annoy people I am indeed the one with the 10 week old tat sleeps from 10 till 6 every night.

Fred

pvjin

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:06 pm

bmacleod wrote:
It would seem MP Jo Cox's death has moved the country slightly to the Remain side. If she wasn't murdered, perhaps the Leaves would win.

If that's really the case voters are even more stupid than I thought they are.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

offloaded

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:56 pm

na wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

If you have a 10 week old baby (congratulations btw!) you´ll surely have some opportunity to watch TV in the night;-) Unless you are a lucky chap with a quiet sweety.
I am with you, I think "remaIN" will win by a small, but noticeable margin. The quiet majority usually votes for the safer alternative.
If the UK stays in the EU it will strengthen the country´s position and hopefully weaken our chancellor Merkels "We cant protect our borders"-nonsense.

I honestly can't see how the UK staying in would strengthen the UK's position. I'd say quite the opposite, and that the message the Eurocrats will hear is that when push came to shove, the Brits didn't have the balls to go. After that, it's a blank cheque. Reform or change the EU? Nope. We're done and dusted with that one.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

scbriml

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:43 pm

pvjin wrote:
If that's really the case voters are even more stupid than I thought they are.

Oh, you're still here. Haven't you emigrated to Russia yet to worship your hero?
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

na

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:49 pm

offloaded wrote:
na wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

I honestly can't see how the UK staying in would strengthen the UK's position. I'd say quite the opposite, and that the message the Eurocrats will hear is that when push came to shove, the Brits didn't have the balls to go. After that, it's a blank cheque. Reform or change the EU? Nope. We're done and dusted with that one.

So you prefer to be a US puppet?

Wake up, the times of the Empire which can stand alone are long gone!

scbriml

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:54 pm

offloaded wrote:
I honestly can't see how the UK staying in would strengthen the UK's position. I'd say quite the opposite, and that the message the Eurocrats will hear is that when push came to shove, the Brits didn't have the balls to go.

I'm curious, how would our position be strengthened by leaving?

How does deciding not to take a leap into the unknown (based on the rantings of Farage and Johnson) mean we don't have balls?

mikey345

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:29 pm

I've voted leave :) god help us

sbworcs

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:51 pm

Voted to remain.

Nothing the exit campaigners made sense to me. Much of it seemed to be "we don't know but trust us"
The best way forwards is upwards!

Dreadnought

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:54 pm

scbriml wrote:
offloaded wrote:
I honestly can't see how the UK staying in would strengthen the UK's position.

Perhaps by being answerable to a government, and having a government answerable to the people, where both are British and chiefly concerned with the well being of Britain?
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

carl50mq

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:04 pm

I hope people of UK will vote LEAVE, just to shake EU a little bit: I'm pro EU but I think EU sleeps too much.
It seems like the EU leaders stopped making EU moving forward.

Redd

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:46 pm

An interesting article on the potential effects leaving could have for Gibraltar.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/23/12005364/b ... tain-spain

I hope to see the UK stay. I don't want to see nationalists bringing us a repeat of Europe a la the 1930's.

zckls04

Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:08 pm

As with Scotland, I think there will be a sizable number of less vocal but more numerous voters who want to keep the status quo.
Four Granavox Turbines!

anfromme

Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:15 pm

Redd wrote:
I hope to see the UK stay. I don't want to see nationalists bringing us a repeat of Europe a la the 1930's.

Amen to that.
I spoke to an English woman today whose family and live is divided between Germany and the UK. She was absolutely dumbfounded how the question whether to leave could even posed in all seriousness these days. She was also positively shocked at the sort of ugly stereotypes and clichés which surfaced again when you had presumed them long-dead, except maybe on the sports pages of the Sun, the Mirror and the likes.

By the way, just heard that the very first projection from YouGov says the Remain camp has it 52:48. We won't of course know for sure for another few hours.

scbriml

Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Redd wrote:
An interesting article on the potential effects leaving could have for Gibraltar.

BBC reporting an 84% turn-out in Gibraltar, with a significant remain vote expected.

anfromme

Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:47 pm

scbriml wrote:
BBC reporting an 84% turn-out in Gibraltar, with a significant remain vote expected.

Just read somebody desparining about their mom (who voted Leave) who was complaining about how, with Gibraltar voting in the referendum, the whole world seemed to have a vote when really it should only be the UK.
If true that's depressing and funny at the same time :-)

Turnout sounds like it's going to be incredibly high pretty much everywhere.
I'm quite tempted to stay up and watch events unfold, but work awaits tomorrow...

wingman

Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:57 pm

Not to get too far ahead of the current drama but what referendum comes next for the UK? Will N.I. vote to join Norway? Will Wales tell the Queen to take the crown and stuff it? I'm on the edge of my seat bros!

pvjin

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:06 pm

Redd wrote:

I don't think there's a danger of that happening any time soon even if the entire EU ceased to exist. Besides, far right movements only rise when there's something seriously wrong in the society. Dismissing them as a cause rather than a symptom is very dangerous, and that's what the EU is doing as far as I can see.

Nationalists, the far right or whatever aren't the real issues in Europe. Unemployment (further boosted by liberal immigration laws of the EU) and starvation of the middle class are, and the elite in Brussels doesn't give a damn about those. Another issue is the high diversity of the union, what works in Spain might not work in Finland. The EU just weakens democracy by moving power further away from the people.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

flipdewaf
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:07 pm

wingman wrote:
Not to get too far ahead of the current drama but what referendum comes next for the UK? Will N.I. vote to join Norway? Will Wales tell the Queen to take the crown and stuff it? I'm on the edge of my seat bros!
not sure what you mean, we've only ever had 3 nationwide referendums (referenda?) in our history.

Fred

wingman

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:18 pm

Yes, but two biggies back to back and already talk of the Scots going again, the Northern Irish wanting a crack etc etc. I hope this latest one satisfies the urges for another decade at least. Or for heaven's sake make them more fun and less consequential. You could do weekly phone in referendums to the telly..should Andrew leave Priscilla or give the wee lass another chance? You know, something that doesn't roil my portfolio all the way over in Portland.

winterlight

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:24 pm

What more intensive could one want to vote Leave?

Question everything. Trust no-one.

flipdewaf
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:36 pm

winterlight wrote:

Farage? Gove? Although I think you mean incentive.

Fred

winterlight

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:45 pm

Farage and Gove aren't monumental liars, murderers or traitors.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

scbriml

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:52 pm

Gibraltar votes 96% (19,322 v 823) in favour of remaining in the EU.

Newcastle votes 50.7% to remain, turnout 68%.

Orkney Islands votes 63% to remain, turnout 68%

After three results - Leave: 68,614 Remain: 91,915

zckls04

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:06 pm

Yikes- Newcastle should have been safely Remain. That's a bit worrying.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Arniepie

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:50 pm

zckls04 wrote:
Yikes- Newcastle should have been safely Remain. That's a bit worrying.

Sunderland 61/39 for Brexit, that's a huge margin.
It's gonna be a lot closer than ma,y thought, also many voters, +70%, most for the last 24 years
[edit post]

einsteinboricua

Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:23 am

I haven't been this interested in a foreign election since the current Israeli Knesset was voted in and because it's so close there's no telling which side will win.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

einsteinboricua

Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:36 am

I was a toddler when the UK went through Black Wednesday. For anyone that was alive and remembers the day, did the pound swing as wildly as it's doing right now? As I type this, the pound is down 9.60pc to the dollar ($1.4056/pound). It was as low as $1.38 apparently (over 10pc to the dollar).

blueflyer

Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:41 am

If the trend doesn't reverse, we're headed for a second independence referendum for Scotland.

Oh and the Scottish-free United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will leave the EU. Tragic for the UK, good for the EU...

einsteinboricua

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:07 am

blueflyer wrote:
If the trend doesn't reverse, we're headed for a second independence referendum for Scotland.

Oh and the Scottish-free United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will leave the EU. Tragic for the UK, good for the EU...

I was reading on how Scotland could request a second independence vote (considering it's being dragged out from the EU without its consent) and how Northern Ireland could opt to merge with Ireland if it also votes to remain.

Effectively, the UK as we know it could cease to exist. England and Wales are voting to leave and those two countries could form the remnants of the UK...UKEW?

VapourTrails

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:19 am

I am watching it closely, and don't have to stay up all night to do so.

I was thinking the REMAIN will prevail, but it is looking increasingly not so.

I am astonished, only been following this for the last few months mind, I am not across ALL the issues.

It is giving me anxiety, even though I am not in any way directly affected by it.

It is quite exciting to watch all the same, if great TV viewing can come out of such a momentous day in history.

Very interesting times! Wow - watch this space. Seriously, WTF..

If we had the emoticons from the old A.net I would use some of those here!
Last edited by VapourTrails on Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

AAPilot

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:32 am

Rotherham voted to leave. Not surprising guess they are tired of the muslim rape gangs.

AAPilot

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:33 am

I'm sure women and minorities were the most Pro-Remain group.

AAPilot

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:34 am

blueflyer wrote:

Good, get rid of them.

AAPilot

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:34 am

flipdewaf wrote:
winterlight wrote:

Farage? Gove? Although I think you mean incentive.

Fred

You need to make Farage your next PM.

AAPilot

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:44 am

YES! ENGLAND PREVAILS!!!!!

Francoflier

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:49 am

Looks like the UK's out.

I wish them luck. They'll need it...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

AAPilot

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:51 am

Make the UK great again.

Derico

Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:07 am

I am afraid taking over other peoples countries, pillaging islands, and trying to oppress other cultures and language and impose your own will not fly in the 21st century.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

zckls04

Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:14 am

Strange result for me- due to the plummeting pound I'm financially much better off, but I still find myself with a pang of regret at the UK tearing itself apart. Sounds like Scotland will be gone in the next 3-5 years as well.
Last edited by zckls04 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Four Granavox Turbines!

alberchico

Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:14 am

Will Cameron have to resign or can he ride this out ???
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

KFLLCFII

Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:21 am

Congrats to the UK.

From the USA, in solidarity.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."