Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

L-188
Topic Author

Any thoughts on reloading presses?

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:16 am

Well it is getting to the point that I think I would like to get a reloading setup since I have a number of unusual rifle calibers in my collection and a couple of my handgun calibers are pretty pricey. Ammo for my .45 Long Colt in particular.

Anyway I have been looking around at all the standard manufacturers RCBS, Dillion, Lee, Redding, Hornaday and making a few comparisons. I just wanted to see if the reloaders that frequent this forum have a few other thoughts I have.

I am thinking I want a just a simple press, I don't think I will be doing large enough "runs" to justify a progressive machine. I think that I would prefer an "O" style press rather than one of the turret types.

A couple of other thoughts I was wondering if anybody with more experience can share some light on,

I am thinking I want a cast iron press, It is my understanding that a number of the O style presses these day's are in fact cast aluminum. Also rather than simple screw threads there are a couple of styles of quick release die adapters. It seems that Hornaday has one as does Dillon. Any thoughts on these? It is a good feature or more trouble than they are worth?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

L-188
Topic Author

Re: Any thoughts on reloading presses?

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:31 am

Seriously Folks. No ammo reloaders here?

I think I have my choices narrowed down to either a Dillon or a RCBS press.

YZF101

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:59 am

Greetings:

It's been a long while, but I have the Dillon 550 in boxes around the house waiting for a decent table etc. That's the one with a removable head for your dies - great idea! It's not a progressive per se, but each pull of the handle completes the stage the round is sitting in, and you have to manually turn the star to advance the round to the next position.

I moved up from the single stage Lee machine, which was a great learning tool.

The Dillon gives me the option to reliably roll one at a time - one round in the star - (which I will be doing extensively when I get back into it), or go full tilt and do 4 at a time. The options for operating the 550 make it a "safer" machine in my eyes vs. a true progressive. It's also better for the rifle rounds, as you can do them one at a time as well.

I learned the lean basics from a chap that had an RCBS rockchucker, but he only rolled for rifle and revolver, so he wasn't needing volume.

If you can get the option, definately go with the rolling handle rather than the wood ball - far easier on the palm and arm.

Enjoy!

L-188
Topic Author

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:09 am

YZF101 wrote:
Greetings:

It's been a long while, but I have the Dillon 550 in boxes around the house waiting for a decent table etc. That's the one with a removable head for your dies - great idea! It's not a progressive per se, but each pull of the handle completes the stage the round is sitting in, and you have to manually turn the star to advance the round to the next position.

I moved up from the single stage Lee machine, which was a great learning tool.

That was the concern I have with the removable head machines. I am worried that the removable heads might introduce a source of "wiggle" into the process and that the accuracy of the presses might change.

YZF101

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:33 am

That was the concern I have with the removable head machines. I am worried that the removable heads might introduce a source of "wiggle" into the process and that the accuracy of the presses might change.[/quote]

Please keep in mind that I haven't used my Dillon in years...

I'd think that the re+re of the individual dies would, over time, introduce a measure of sloppiness with the threads in the press, plus the constant need to adjust the die to sit properly for your task. Throwing this one out there, I remember doing many many of one 'stage' before changing dies to continue with the process. Wouldn't (couldn't) this 'induce' a level of error to the job at hand?

The heads, if I recall correctly, are held in place by an aluminum pin(s). The tolerances could be lessened by the addition of a shim, perhaps? I also used the 'temporary' loctite to keep the dies in place and so remove that possible problem. The use of a putty on the closed end of the machine top might be what you're after? The removable heads actually are a godsend when working with different calibres, even having separate heads for .38 and .357, .40 and 10mm are great!

With the internet being what it is, I am confident there are multitudes of reviews etc. that you can peruse to get a better feel for things. If I recall correctly, the 550 is a $500 touch, plus misc bells and whistles (which you absolutely cannot do without at all - not possible lol). I belive you'll end up liking big blue - whether it'll do the job you want is another question.

Stay safe out there!

L-188
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:02 pm

With the large number of calibers, many of them obsolete and obsolecent, I am really going to save some money if I start reloading.

.45 Long Colt isn't getting any cheaper, but I was shocked to see that 6.5 Jap is a Hornaday factory load!

L-188
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:02 pm

With the large number of calibers, many of them obsolete and obsolecent, I am really going to save some money if I start reloading.

.45 Long Colt isn't getting any cheaper, but I was shocked to see that 6.5 Jap is a Hornaday factory load!

DiamondFlyer

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:38 pm

L-188 wrote:

That's my biggest issue, the number of calibers I own firearms in seems to always be increasing. I always try to stick to the same major ones, but reloading for me at the current time isn't something I could feasibly pull off (living in an apartment and all). I try to do all my shooting in calibers that are cheap to shoot for now.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

mham001

Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:37 pm