Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

QF29
Topic Author

Australian Election Thread

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:34 pm

Don't forget about Australia!!

Tomorrow is the 2nd of July, Election day!

Libs to stay in or will Labour embarrass Turnbull after less than a year in charge?
A318/19/20/21, 330-2/3, 345, 380, B717 B737-4/6/7/8/9 B763 B743/4 B777-2/3 B787-8/9, Q-400 C172S, PA-28, Super Decathlon

An767

Re: Australian Election Thread

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:54 pm

Hopefully the Libs will stay. could not handle the ALP & Billy running the country .
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

vhqpa

Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:42 am

I voted at the pre poll yesterday (01/07) I was quite surprised how many people were there.

I'm predicting a small swing to Labor but not enough to form government. But as we learned from Brexit anything can happen.

Also the far right fringe parties have been a lot more visible during the campaign so it'll interesting to see how that plays out.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

cpd

Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:51 am

An767 wrote:
Hopefully the Libs will stay. could not handle the ALP & Billy running the country .

Unfortunately the libs don't like people who ride bikes. So I don't vote for them. They have demonstrated their hatred of me time and again, so I'll return the favour at the ballot box. And they were so scared, they didn't even bother to send campaign staff to hand out how to vote leaflets in my area... Only Labor and Greens.

I'm sure I did see a photo of Julie Bishop using a mobile phone while driving... Someone throw the book at her, big time. Or at least give her a penalty as serious as a bike rider would get for track-standing at lights, as happens in NSW at the moment, at the behest of the idiotic Liberal roads minister who continues to pour more and more money into road projects that will improve nothing, totally ignoring the bleeding obvious.

DocLightning

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:12 am

Note: people voting for Health Australia, Liberal, or Australian Family Parties vote TOMORROW. ;)

Anyway, best of luck, Aussies. Don't forget to get your Democracy Sausage! http://democracysausage.org/
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

HGL

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:16 am

Turned up bright and early to vote and found a queue had already developed as people either coming off shift or going to work wanted to get it out of the way.

Although the booth that I initially selected did have a nice big magnifying thingy, it had no pencil attached to the string. Some mongrel had taken it.

Good sausage sizzle though. :D
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

bunumuring

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:23 am

Voted done - 90 minutes in total because the queue was so long. That delighted me, democracy in action, with lots of laughter and smiles all around. We Aussies are so lucky....
And yes the sausage sizzle was fantastic!
But seriously, Liberal or Labor.... I think the Federal Government is going to face major challenges with PNG, China, Brexit adjustments, Medicare, defence recapitalisation, indigenous affairs .... The list goes on!
Good luck to who ever wins.
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

sierrakilo44

Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:04 pm

It looks like the Coalition to form a probable minority government, if they get the independents to agree, but the independents will retain the balance of power in the senate so no changes there.

One piece of bad news, Pauline Hanson will be returning to Parliament, if you don't remember her racist vitriol from 96-98 don't worry, it'll probably be worse this time. :(

mariner

Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:52 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
One piece of bad news, Pauline Hanson will be returning to Parliament, if you don't remember her racist vitriol from 96-98 don't worry, it'll probably be worse this time. :(

Yes, that's depressing, but at the other end of the scale, Linda Burney has won Barton for Labor, the first indigenous woman in the House of Reps.

Not because she's indigenous and a woman but because she's indigenous and a woman and on the lefter side of politics. :-)

mariner
Last edited by mariner on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
aeternum nauta

Kent350787

Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:14 am

Even worse than Hanson getting back in, a number of the other independents are reactionary.

This morning is still looking extremely close. If the party currently leading in the 8 seats reamining in doubt does win tose seats, Labor will have one seat more than the LNP coalition. This is going to be very, very tight.

I'm with DocLightning that HAP supporters are best voting today :P

Congratulations to Linda on winning Barton, and with a very solid majority. She had been a good state MP (and state opposition leader), and must have been fairly sure she'd hold the new northerna part of the electroate. It turns out we share a hairdresser, who mentioned Linda had been very nervous on Thursday.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

Olddog

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:36 am

So who won finally ?

vhqpa

Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:12 am

Olddog wrote:
So who won finally ?

Looks like we were forgotten about :|

Anyway the Liberal/National Coalition have won with the slightest majority (they need 76 they're sitting on 77) According to AEC there are still two close seats that could go either way. LNP is leading in one of those seats so the worse case scenario is they lose that seat but still hold the required 76 to form majority government.

The senate is looking quite dysfunctional with crossbencher Jacqui Lambie re-elected joing the likes of Derryn Hinch and One Nation looking at 3 seats including Pauline Hanson herself.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"