DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Mass migration to a new website?

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:04 am

Hopefully this topic doesn't get deleted, I wouldn't be surprised if it does even though I don't think it's breaking any forum rules.

I really like the a.net community, and as corny as it sounds, it really has developed me as a person. I'm sure a lot of people have an outlet to talk about and discuss things and the non-aviation forum on a.net just so happened to be my outlet.

I have seen a lot of good users give up on a.net over the years but many have stuck with the crap that comes along with this site. I think this messy rollout of the new forum is the last straw for many users... and many probably have given up before even reading this post.

What do yall say? What if a bunch of us all migrated to a new forum? I looked at FlyerTalk and I don't even know if it has a non-av forum. It seems to be mostly talking about frequent flier benefits. Jetphotos is pretty dead but that might be perfect... if we get just a couple dozen of the good, active users to migrate there we could keep this community alive and it would probably grow into something that resembled the early days of this forum.

Any ideas, anyone? I'll be happy to try just about anything :(

Airshipcenter

Re: Mass migration to a new website?

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:24 am

First, I'm a long time lurker and a newly registered member to this site.

One the things I noticed, being on other forums for multiple years and being an admin myself on my own forum (link in sign.) is that large changes such as these are often not appreciated at all by the members.

The same thing happened with YouTube when they switched to a different layout. They got millions of complaints.

However, In the end, people get used to it and adapt. To my knowledge this is the most active aviation forum on the net and also one of the more professional ones. I wouldn't give up hope too quickly. It just takes some time to get used to new things.

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:29 am

Airshipcenter wrote:
However, In the end, people get used to it and adapt. To my knowledge this is the most active aviation forum on the net and also one of the more professional ones. I wouldn't give up hope too quickly. It just takes some time to get used to new things.

I sure hope so but it doesn't seem like people are merely complaining about the new layout... participation is stunningly low. Many users over the past years have given up on a.net and many more grudgingly have stayed, many of the on their last straw. It seems like many have finally given up

ltbewr

Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:05 pm

I would suggest that Facebook and other social media outlets have likely reduced the demand for the non-av section. Further I would suggest that over the years, certain nonsense or controversial post subjects have been removed by moderators due to violations of the letter and spirit of the posting rules. Sometimes there are deeply offensive comments as to language, personal attacks, especially as to religion and certain countries, discussion of sensitive security issues and so on.

As to the font issues, do like I do when in the posting section, use the 'bold' setting then go to the drop symbol, that is for the color, go select the top left corner - black and you get your posts to look like this. I would like to see this as the default font.

BartSimpson

Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:38 pm

ltbewr wrote:
As to the font issues, do like I do when in the posting section, use the 'bold' setting then go to the drop symbol, that is for the color, go select the top left corner - black and you get your posts to look like this. I would like to see this as the default font.

Yeah, and people like me who have installed the Stylish extension - can't find the thread with the link - are bitten in the behind because posts like yours are now in black on dark blue:

ER757

Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:41 pm

While the format change has definitely been the "last straw" for some, many of the more knowledgable contributors have left over the years because non-informed users would question them as to the validity of their posts, going as far as to tell them they were flat out wrong etc. I know two such knowledgable former members who got tired of it and left. Since I was well acquainted with them and know their background, I can't say I blame them based of some of the posts I'd seen others make in reply to their contributions. If you're an 18 year old kid sitting in your Mom's basement, you don't tell an A330 pilot that he is wrong when he posts that the aircraft has the range to fly a specific route. You don't tell a flight test director that the aircraft in pre-service testing can't perform a maneuver that said director was actually on board the aircraft that performed it two days earlier.

Dreadnought

Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:02 pm

I have been part of the ANet community since 1999, and I have generally loved it. Sadly I have not seen another forum that has the user-friendly details that the old ANet forum had. I would gladly jump ship. This new format is terrible.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

directorguy

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Sadly I think the new 'improvements' have put a lot of people off.
I used to check this site a lot-would do a lot of reading, and would comment fairly often. But since the new website, I found myself simply visiting less-and when I would visit, I would spend less time. The old format was much more compact so I could see a lot of thread titles.
During the old days, I was a huge fan of the Trip Reports section. Since the new A.net, I've come across a number of other websites and travel forums that post reports so I get my fix from there.
It's not that I actively voted with my feet and decided to 'leave', I just don't find it as pleasant to use as before.
I have noticed a decline in traffic-some users who were frequent commentators on a number of threads seem to have stopped posting.

coolian2

Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:19 pm

To be honest, the quality of posting hasn't changed in years. I remember when I was first pointed towards these forums ~10 years ago and the abject terribleness of the quality of posts then was a running joke in the community I was in.

There's still plenty of good contributions, but don't think there haven't always been awful posts. Things just look nicer through rose tinted glasses.

In terms of activity, I'd agree that social media has had a big impact on overall forum usage - it's not just here where I see it. I'm a member of a U2 forum and a rugby league forum and with the latter, it's midseason and forum activity is way down on what it was 5 and 10 years ago.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

AirPacific747

Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:27 pm

This new design is terrible. After a few weeks now, I still don't like it. And they haven't even changed the color of the forum back to the one from the old layout even though it was requested by most users in the announcement thread. How long can it take to change a simple color? I am not commenting as much as I used to and I dont check the site so often anymore either. The website now looks like any other cheap forum website.

mariner

Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:38 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
I have seen a lot of good users give up on a.net over the years but many have stuck with the crap that comes along with this site. I think this messy rollout of the new forum is the last straw for many users... and many probably have given up before even reading this post.

Any ideas, anyone? I'll be happy to try just about anything :(

.The "old days" at a.net weren't always so good. I remember well the outages, some of which lasted for days and, looking back, it took me some time to learn the tricks of the site.

So I'm not migrating anywhere, I'm perfectly happy here. I was startled by the new website and it took me three or four days to learn its tricks, but now I'm fine with it, I can do everything I used to do - and more - and I've enjoyed learning what is, for me, a new computer language.

But good luck at Flyertalk if you do go - LOL. It's a website designed for Frequent Flyers - and how to game the system. Unless maybe that's what you want?

mariner
aeternum nauta

LSZH34

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:02 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:

I have seen a lot of good users give up on a.net over the years but many have stuck with the crap that comes along with this site. I think this messy rollout of the new forum is the last straw for many users...

Because this new forum is crap. It's as terrible as it was when I first saw it. As soon as I see the start page of the forum I immediately close the site as this layout gives me depression each time I get a glimpse of it. I don't even read the thread titles anymore. The only reason I'm here is to say once again that this new forum is TERRIBLE!

SoJo

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:10 pm

I hate it! It's 'Goodbye' from me and 'Goodbye' from him. Will miss this site. Take care all. Over and OUT :|
RAF Abingdon 1967. I met Beverley from Blackburn. Fantastic!

AMSYUL

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:27 pm

As an active daily reader for the past 14 years I must say that I have learned a lot on a.net, however since the change to the new layout there seem to be a lot less interesting threads and I do find myself looking for other websites to get my daily aviation fix!

I know it takes time to adapt to a huge website refresh like this but I agree with everybody that said this website now just seems like a cheap version of its former self, it's just like when you have a beautiful livery and then you go Eurowhite, it's disappointing!

JeffSFO

Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:26 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Yeah, and people like me who have installed the Stylish extension - can't find the thread with the link - are bitten in the behind because posts like yours are now in black on dark blue:

I added the following declarations to my Stylish CSS file for Anet and they override those annoying black & blue span styles on my browser:

div.content > span {
    color: rgba(255, 255, 255, .95) !important;
}
div.content > blockquote * {
    color: rgba(200, 200, 200, .8) !important;
}

Give them a try and see if they work for you .

UPDATE: Added a second declaration which will override the inline color styles that show up in the quoted text for thread replies and any further child elements that may show up in quoted text.
Last edited by JeffSFO on Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

photopilot

Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:55 pm

Airshipcenter wrote:
However, In the end, people get used to it and adapt........... I wouldn't give up hope too quickly. It just takes some time to get used to new things.

Well it's been several weeks now (or more) and they still have done NOTHING with the Eurowhite look of this website. It STILL causes EYESTRAIN for older people to read this terrible looking color choices and screen.

So while I still pop in here occasionally, it's maybe once per week at most instead of several times daily. Guess their advertisers must be really happy with the DECREASE in click-count the site is now showing.

mariner

Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:11 pm

photopilot wrote:
Airshipcenter wrote:
However, In the end, people get used to it and adapt........... I wouldn't give up hope too quickly. It just takes some time to get used to new things.

Well it's been several weeks now (or more) and they still have done NOTHING with the Eurowhite look of this website. It STILL causes EYESTRAIN for older people to read this terrible looking color choices and screen.

Every book, every newspaper that I have ever read uses black on white as being the highest contrast and thus the easiest to read.

I'm old - I choose black for my text colour, it makes it so much easier to read. And part of the fun of this new website is that you can choose
which colour you want the text to be.

And size

mariner
aeternum nauta

TSS

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:04 am

mariner wrote:
Every book, every newspaper that I have ever read uses black on white as being the highest contrast and thus the easiest to read.

Actually, newspapers and books are printed black-on-white because the default color of paper is white and ink is easiest to formulate in darker colors such as black, thus making black-on-white printing cheaper than other choices.

A side note: This is my first post since the format change, and I am stunned- Predictive text, the most worthless and pointlessly annoying feature of cell phones, is now included on an internet forum? Seriously? Why?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

mariner

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:19 am

TSS wrote:
mariner wrote:

Actually, newspapers and books are printed black-on-white because the default color of paper is white and ink is easiest to formulate in darker colors such as black, thus making black-on-white printing cheaper than other choices.

People wrote with quills and pens - on very light (not necessarily pure white) vellum or parchment and black or dark blue ink - long before printing presses were invented.

Why a.net ever decided that a mid-blue ground was easy on the eye is beyond me, and I hope it doesn't return.

mariner
aeternum nauta

DocLightning

Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:02 am

Airshipcenter wrote:
However, In the end, people get used to it and adapt.

I can get used to the new colors and the new format. In fact, I already have.

What I can NOT get used to is having to sign back in multiple times per day and getting my posts deleted because the website randomly logged me out. Now, if DM were interested in fixing this, I'd be willing to stay but here we are a month in and there is no fix to this major problem.

There are also other changes to functionality, like the fact that I can't just quote part of a post without going through and highlighting it once it's transferred to the new post or the fact that we should be able to choose how many replies are displayed per page. Again, if DM were interested in fixing this, I'd be willing to stay.

But they aren't. They don't care what we say and they don't care what we think and they won't until website traffic tanks. So I'll be moving to JetPhotos.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

seb146

Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:13 am

I have been on this site for 15+ years. It was shocking and sad to see the format change. I enjoy the banter and debate in non av and there are very good answers I find in other forums. I will still be checking in as part of my routine but I will miss the people I have met here.

I say that because it sounds like this site is in it's last days.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

ArmitageShanks

Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:50 am

All you guys are missing the reason they upgraded the website. This is not an aviation themed website to them, its an advertising website that aviation enthusiasts visit. They don't give a crap about regular users. We've had zero direct input from actual Demand Media employees, its all been from people, who for some reason work for free for a billion dollar company. Its all about ad revenue blindly applied across a wide swatch of websites they own. Its all numbers on a spreadsheet now...ad clicks and views is all that matters. Regular users are probably a hindrance to their business model as we are less likely to click on the terrible click-bait articles we will see in the coming months.

I've listened to their earnings reports and if their major income comes from spinning off services and selling major websites what makes you all think they care about developing what they have? Have you seen the stock price and earnings? Its embarrassing.

n229nw

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:11 am

DocLightning wrote:
Airshipcenter wrote:
However, In the end, people get used to it and adapt.

What I can NOT get used to is having to sign back in multiple times per day and getting my posts deleted because the website randomly logged me out. Now, if DM were interested in fixing this, I'd be willing to stay but here we are a month in and there is no fix to this major problem.

There are also other changes to functionality, like the fact that I can't just quote part of a post without going through and highlighting it once it's transferred to the new post or the fact that we should be able to choose how many replies are displayed per page. Again, if DM were interested in fixing this, I'd be willing to stay.

But they aren't. They don't care what we say and they don't care what we think and they won't until website traffic tanks. So I'll be moving to JetPhotos.

This. All of it. I too am getting sick of signing in every time I post, and then nevigating through several screens to find where I was.

And being able to quote only one post at a time, which immediately takes you to your reply so you can't see the following posts. Thus, to reply to a post if you want to see the rest of the thread first requires you to go ahead and then come back or scroll through backwards afterwards. It is just too annoying.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

zkojq

Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:33 am

I wanted to give the new layout a chance and give DM a bit of time to fix the many issues with the new layout....but since the introduction of the new site I've visited once a day and have only made a handful of posts, which kinda says it all really.... I'm not leaving as such, but I'm barely here as it is.

Someone should make a big facebook group or something.

Whilst it had its problems, the old forum design was actually really good. The layout was very vertically space efficient: a post one line was fine as it wouldn't take up much vertical length. The new design's silly layout results in the same one line post will take up nearly two inches of vertical screen space and means that threads have to be limited to 50 posts per page.

Also, what's with airliners.net photos not being able to get embedded in a post?

DocLightning wrote:
So I'll be moving to JetPhotos.

Last time I checked (admittedly, it was years ago) their forum layout was even worse than this.

DocLightning wrote:

What I can NOT get used to is having to sign back in multiple times per day

I thought it was only me who had this problem. It's infuriating.
First to fly the 787-9

mariner

Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:46 am

zkojq wrote:
Also, what's with airliners.net photos not being able to get embedded in a post?

They can be embedded in a post, as here:

It's just a very slightly different process - but it's still only two steps, just as it always was.

mariner
aeternum nauta

BNE

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:03 am

I don't think there is a new website to move to, well maybe Facebook.
I will give this website some time to fix the kinks and I see where it ends up, usually I check less than once a day and might stop by a bit more often if a major aviation event occurs.

Flyertalk I check about once a day but that website had a big split a few years ago, had a few defectors to the new website and that didn't really get going.

Good to see Mariner still around, for some strange reason I had a thought about him this morning.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

nighthawk

Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:13 am

You're all welcome to come and join http://www.planelogger.com

Our forums are a bit quiet at the moment, but if enough of you move over, that will soon be sorted. PlaneLogger is built by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts. User experience always comes first.

Luxair747SP

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:28 pm

I wish we could simply collect money and buy the software of the old website and open it again under another name....

zkojq

Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:10 pm

mariner wrote:
zkojq wrote:

They can be embedded in a post, as here:
It's just a very slightly different process - but it's still only two steps, just as it always was.

mariner

Oops, I mean like in reply three of the thread I've linked to below . The procedure whereby you mention the photo ID and the site embeds a small version of the picture. The new layout has made many archived threads useless because database images that were previously linked no longer appear. Nice PC12, by the way. :)

viewtopic.php?t=766231
First to fly the 787-9

falstaff

Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:00 pm

DocLightning wrote:

I agree. at first I was didn't like the new set up. I still prefer the old one, but have gotten used the new thing.

Like a lot of people I don't like how I have to sign in all the time before posting and then go back to where I was.

mariner wrote:
They can be embedded in a post, as here

The other thing that is different is how you embed a photo from photo bucket. It took me a couple of tries to figure out the new procedure.

I really don't want to leave a.net and I do not plan to. It is a great international community and I enjoy it.

ER757 wrote:
If you're an 18 year old kid sitting in your Mom's basement, you don't tell an A330 pilot that he is wrong when he posts that the aircraft has the range to fly a specific route. You don't tell a flight test director that the aircraft in pre-service testing can't perform a maneuver that said director was actually on board the aircraft that performed it two days earlier.

That seems to be a problem with all kinds of online forums. Nothing like a teenager telling you you don't know what you're talking about when you are discussing something that you do for a living. Somehow I doubt they would be that obnoxious if they were in the same room with you.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Revelation

Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:15 pm

It's pretty clear to me DM isn't making much if any money from this site. As big as we may think this site is, it's really small compared to other web sites. And it was clear the old infrastructure was failing. So it's a good thing that they've made the switchover to the new infra. And doing that wasn't easy, especially preserving all the links to all the old photos and forum posts and membership info etc.

On the other hand, given they did spend the time and money to switch over to a new infra, it seems silly to not prioritize fixing the issues that are driving users away in droves, such as the color scheme and the logout issue. And if you're going to take the hit, why not offer some new features (other than the botched layout) that will make the site more interesting? For instance, one of the forum sites I use lets you do 'thumbs up / thumbs down' clicks so you can give feedback without writing a new post, and supports multi-quote, etc.

It seems the team is going to have to do a lot of development work just to get closer to parity with the old site and it's a bummer that at best we can hope for is parity with the old site.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Airshipcenter

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:09 pm

Revelation wrote:
It's pretty clear to me DM isn't making much if any money from this site. As big as we may think this site is, it's really small compared to other web sites. And it was clear the old infrastructure was failing. So it's a good thing that they've made the switchover to the new infra. And doing that wasn't easy, especially preserving all the links to all the old photos and forum posts and membership info etc.

On the other hand, given they did spend the time and money to switch over to a new infra, it seems silly to not prioritize fixing the issues that are driving users away in droves, such as the color scheme and the logout issue. And if you're going to take the hit, why not offer some new features (other than the botched layout) that will make the site more interesting? For instance, one of the forum sites I use lets you do 'thumbs up / thumbs down' clicks so you can give feedback without writing a new post, and supports multi-quote, etc.

It seems the team is going to have to do a lot of development work just to get closer to parity with the old site and it's a bummer that at best we can hope for is parity with the old site.

Check out: http://www.statshow.com/www/Airliners.net

"airliners.net has a global rank of #4,688 which puts itself among the top 10,000 most popular websites worldwide. airliners.net rank has decreased -1% over the last 3 months. airliners.net was launched at May 23, 1997 and is 19 years and 47 days. It reaches roughly 3,054,210 users and delivers about 6,719,280 pageviews each month. Its estimated monthly revenue is $19,485.90. We estimate the value of airliners.net to be around $237,078.45."

20k a month not much? :D

Moose135

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:11 pm

DocLightning wrote:
There are also other changes to functionality, like the fact that I can't just quote part of a post without going through and highlighting it once it's transferred to the new post...

Hope that isn't a deal breaker for you Doc - the JP forum software works the same way, when you "reply with quote" it includes the entire message and you have to edit it if you only want to include part of the post.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

tommy1808

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Airshipcenter wrote:

20k a month not much? :D

That is not even enough to have an qualified admin on staff 24/7.

It is a lot of money if you write your own blog and have those visitor numbers, but the moment you have to hire people it is all not that much.

For the topic: this is really the worst I have ever seen done with phpbb.
Heck, even stock out of the box it works better than what they did (I have some old project-phpbb still running, and I am not even logged our after years).

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

LAX772LR

Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:09 pm

Airshipcenter wrote:
We estimate the value of airliners.net to be around $237,078.45."

20k a month not much?

If one were to believe the lore that well over $1MM was paid for this site; then yes, it's not that much at all. In fact, it's a money pit.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

DocLightning

Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:17 pm

The thing is that if they fixed the logout issue and a few of the formatting issues, the site could rise in rank and even become a money maker.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Airshipcenter

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:29 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Airshipcenter wrote:
We estimate the value of airliners.net to be around $237,078.45."

20k a month not much?

If one were to believe the lore that well over $1MM was paid for this site; then yes, it's not that much at all. In fact, it's a money pit.

I am reading into the history of the site now. Excuse my ignorance. It seems you are right.

LAX772LR

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:40 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Now, if DM were interested in fixing this, I'd be willing to stay but here we are a month in and there is no fix to this major problem.

Maybe they just don't see it that way.

From what I understand: DM bought this site for its pictures, not so much the forums.
Perhaps they're just manifesting that, by ignoring what a fustercluck that the forums have become.

Which is a shame. :(
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

mariner

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:43 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

According to Wiki, Johan sold for $8.2 million. I guess no one really knows, but I hope it was a decent sum.

DocLightning wrote:
The thing is that if they fixed the logout issue and a few of the formatting issues, the site could rise in rank and even become a money maker.

I'm not having the log-out issues that you appear to be. I've been logged in for several hours now. Despite going off to surf other websites, when I come back to a.net I'm still logged in. It isn't always like that, but mostly.

And as to format, since i can control a lot of it - font size/colour, etc., and post photos, I've having as much fun as I've ever had on a.net. I seldom use the PM function but others do and I've replied. Doing so, I found out that I could delete the more than 1000 messages stored in my inbox, going back (literally) for years.

I feel - streamlined, much like the website - LOL.

mariner
aeternum nauta

aloges

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:50 pm

Demand Media operates content farms. People write texts for them which are likely to be found and rated highly by Google. They hope to make ad money from the traffic that this generates. If it sounds a lot like Buzzfeed, that's because it is. As for the pictures, if they ever were part of the business plan, that failed when their rights grab failed shortly after the takeover. I'm sure others remember that particular mess.

A.net is dying and I wouldn't be surprised if its "parents" decided to pull the plug in the near future. It's worth less and less to them with every passing day, as evidenced by the almost total lack of attention.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

vikkyvik

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:26 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
From what I understand: DM bought this site for its pictures, not so much the forums.
Perhaps they're just manifesting that, by ignoring what a fustercluck that the forums have become.

The photos were/are also a fustercluck. One that is getting sorted, but that was/is a MUCH bigger deal than any forum issues, because watermarks and copyright bars were/are missing.

mariner wrote:
Doing so, I found out that I could delete the more than 1000 messages stored in my inbox, going back (literally) for years.

You mean you HAVE to delete messages, or else you can't get new ones...
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

mariner

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:39 pm

vikkyvik wrote:

You mean you HAVE to delete messages, or else you can't get new ones...

I don't think so, as long as there's space in your inbox, which seems to be about 1000 messages.

When I first went to the new PM function my inbox was 100% full - 1000 messages, going back years - but I still got a new message.

It's just that I couldn't see the point of keeping messages from 2012 or earlier, so I deleted them all. It isn't difficult to do but it took a wee while. LOL.

mariner

PS: I just checked, and I see that in the User Control Panel - Private Messages - in "rule and settings" there is "delete oldest messages" which is marked as the default (at least for me). So I guess it does it for me. Oh, happy day. :-)
aeternum nauta

vikkyvik

Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:11 am

mariner wrote:
I don't think so, as long as there's space in your inbox, which seems to be about 1000 messages.

OK, now I have another reason to be annoyed. When the site upgrade first happened, the PM limit was 50 messages, I think. Since someone had PM'd me, I had to delete something like 500 PMs to be able to see the new one.

Now the limit is 1000.

Not so happy about that - I liked having that PM history available.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

BestWestern

Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:50 am

The login issue kills me. I'm going to write a reply and it kicks me back to the home page to tell me about their 'daily' updates to the changelog.

I just can't be bothered choosing the forum and finding the thread.

Going by the half dozen or so threads replied to on Monday and only two logged in users in non-AV now, use of this site has dropped dramatically. I too am looking for somewhere else.

Second peeve - the parsing of thread titles in a way that means nothing.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:21 am

I just assumed it was slow because of summer. I didn't realized so many people loathed the new design. To bad that they didn't ask for input from long time members when designing the new board.

For the most part i'm O.K. with the changes. I have issues with it auto signing me out.

Regarding the comments about professionals getting put off and leaving. It would be nice to have a ignore feature. There are always going to be people who think they know more than you. That said, I really have to wonder about someone ego if they can be driven away from a board by a numpty. What they don't think other people will noticed that that's person clueless. Anyway, good luck to those who are leaving this board to try to duplicate it somewhere else. I don't see how that's at all possible. Since this is a one of a kind board.

I wish you would stay and try to make this board better. However, it's your decision to make. You will be missed. :?

mariner

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:32 am

vikkyvik wrote:
mariner wrote:

OK, now I have another reason to be annoyed. When the site upgrade first happened, the PM limit was 50 messages, I think. Since someone had PM'd me, I had to delete something like 500 PMs to be able to see the new one.

Odd.

I went to PM's (because it said I had received one) fairly soon after the changeover, and at that point my inbox was 100% full - 1000 messages - but it still let me read the new message and reply to it. After that, I set about cleaning out my inbox.

I guess there are a few complications caused by the massive changeover. I thought I had my bookmarked threads under control - three - but when I went back there this morning there were forty pages of them, all my starred threads from the old website I think. So now I'm clearing them out. :-)

mariner
aeternum nauta

PacificBeach88

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:42 am

aloges wrote:
Demand Media operates content farms. People write texts for them which are likely to be found and rated highly by Google. They hope to make ad money from the traffic that this generates. If it sounds a lot like Buzzfeed, that's because it is. As for the pictures, if they ever were part of the business plan, that failed when their rights grab failed shortly after the takeover. I'm sure others remember that particular mess.

A.net is dying and I wouldn't be surprised if its "parents" decided to pull the plug in the near future. It's worth less and less to them with every passing day, as evidenced by the almost total lack of attention.

A.net started dying the moment Demand Media took over. They didn't care, and haven't cared about any individual posters issues since they bought out Johan. And no, they didn't pay him $8.2 million. Get real.

I've owned several forums earlier in the 2005 to 2012 and I ended up making good money on them. However, if you looked at the per hour cost I ended up making it was at most $6 or $7 per hour. Likely Johan, was similar. He probably made closer to $950,000 at most, more likely $770,000.