Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

L-188
Topic Author

So help me pick my new AR-15 build

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:38 am

Hey folks.

In January I completed my first AR-15 build from a stripped lower receiver. It was fun and educational but I admit that I need to go out and still shoot the rifle. It was finished as a AR15 version of the M4 albeit with the 16 inch barrel to meet us law requirements.

Anyway I had so much fun that I have gotten two more stripped lower receivers and one 80% piece of Aluminum.

Anyway that 80% is going to wait until I can improve my machining skill set to complete it as another lower receiver. But with the other two I am trying to decide what I want to finish them as.

I have a few possibilities for what I want to build.

[list=]A AR15A1, which would analogous to the M16A1 I carried in Basic
A AR15A2, which is analogous to the M16A2 I carried when on active duty.
A ARin 300 Blackout or 6.8mm
A AR in 450 Beowolf or similar caliber
A AR for accuracy in target shooting, so a free floating bull barrel most likely.[/list]

So any of you shooters out there have any opinions of what I should go for.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

EA CO AS

Re: So help me pick my new AR-15 build

Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:09 am

L-188 wrote:

Depends on what your wants and needs are from it. What do you see it being used for, primarily?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DiamondFlyer

Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:31 am

Personally, I'm fond of rifle length builds (18-20 inch barrels), but I've never been sure why. I've got one with an A2 stock on it, OD Green stock and classic handguards, built on an OD green lower. I wish I had got the matching upper to go with it, but it doesn't look to bad with the black upper receiver on it.

If you aren't looking to spend a ton of money on it, look into Palmetto State Armory and their complete upper offerings. Often times, they have great deals on completed uppers in various calibers, lengths and gas system types.
From my cold, dead hands

fr8mech

Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:25 pm

A few years ago I built an AR with a 24" Stainless Bull Barrel. Put together a stripped upper and put the barrel on that. Used mainly off the shelf parts for both the upper and lower. It has a fixed A2 Stock. No front or rear sights. Come to think about it, there is nothing custom about it. Pretty straight forward build.

I've got a BSA 4-16x variable scope on it. I shot it once. With a 63 grain bullet, I was able to hold 1/2" groups at 300 yards.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

PacificBeach88

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:16 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Depends on what your wants and needs are from it. What do you see it being used for, primarily?

Since he never answered you my guess is he's looking for a "build" that simply upsets the rest of the airliners.net crowd. Most sites call this being a troll. *shrug*

EA CO AS

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:21 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
Most sites call this being a troll. *shrug*

....said the guy who is engaging in that same behavior by chiming in on this thread. :roll:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

PacificBeach88

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:43 am

EA CO AS wrote:
PacificBeach88 wrote:

....said the guy who is engaging in that same behavior by chiming in on this thread. :roll:

The butthurt is strong with you.

I didn't start a controversial thread seeking input over a week ago, to never return to it, now did I?

EA CO AS

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:58 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
PacificBeach88 wrote:

Hardly, just perplexed by why you're so enamored with my posts and feel compelled to comment on them.

But it's clear now; you don't choose to - you have to. You have no other choice.

Aww.

fr8mech

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:26 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
I didn't start a controversial thread seeking input over a week ago, to never return to it, now did I?

A week with only a couple of replies. Doesn't seem too controversial too me.

Seems to me that, maybe you want to start a controversy.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

L-188
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:11 am

EA CO AS wrote:
L-188 wrote:

Apparently I didn't get back to you in a timely manner for some folks here.

But with the two current 100% lowers I have:
1 I want to build as an A2, which I was issued when I was in the Army. Have pretty good memories of going to range with one. There are also a lot of Hog hunters using AR's in these larger calibers because of the danger involved.
2 The second one I have a few options
A: One option would be a large caliber build, 450 Beowolf or one of the others that would be suitable for bear protection.
B: An accuracy build with a Bull Barrel, As you may know there are a lot of competition shooters and varmint shooters out there that make long range shots with AR's.
C: I saw Stag Arms had a .300 Beowolf barrel on sale a couple of weeks ago so I don't want to rule out a maybe something in one of those calibers.

Of course since uppers and lowers are interchangeable, I could always build the A2 and then use the other lower and have several uppers for it.

L-188
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:11 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
PacificBeach88 wrote:

No you started trolling after I posted.

This may come as a shock to you but I don't go on here everyday. I have a life outside A.net....maybe someday you will have one too.

fr8mech

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:45 am

I wish I could be more help, but the 2 I've built are 5.56. Haven't gone, not have I ever shot a big bore, so I can't comment on any challenges you may encounter.

The first one I built was the long gun. I was curious to see if I could build an highly accurate rifle from component parts. I did and I haven't fired it since I got it dialed in.

The second is a 16" with an adjustable stock and rails up front. Went through my "tacti-cool" phase, but I've pretty much simplified it. I have a pair of Magpul folding sights and a Sightmark Ultra Shot. That's it.

L-188
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:47 am

fr8mech wrote:
I wish I could be more help, but the 2 I've built are 5.56. Haven't gone, not have I ever shot a big bore, so I can't comment on any challenges you may encounter.

The first one I built was the long gun. I was curious to see if I could build an highly accurate rifle from component parts. I did and I haven't fired it since I got it dialed in.

The second is a 16" with an adjustable stock and rails up front. Went through my "tacti-cool" phase, but I've pretty much simplified it. I have a pair of Magpul folding sights and a Sightmark Ultra Shot. That's it.

Nice

I have to do a bit more research on the Big bores, but I did get a chance to look at some .450 Beowolf Ammo at the store the other day. The rim is rebated to the point where you can supposedly use a standard AR bolt. And then .300 blackout is a 5.56 necked out to 30 cal.