Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TravelDream
Topic Author

Theresa May - British Prime Minister

Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:28 pm

Theresa May has just been appointed PM of the UK by the Queen.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36788782

2nd female PM is British history - The Tories are ahead 2-0.

Very interesting speech. I guess she is very much Cameron plus.

Tugger

Re: Theresa May - British Prime Minister

Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:05 pm

I was hoping someone would start a new thread on this.

I think she is the best right person for this job at the moment. She has a lot of work ahead and I will be curious to see how she manages it. True leadership is needed along with the art of compromise and engagement.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Ken777

Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:23 pm

Ironic that we now have a contemporary demonstration that a woman can be brought in to lead a amor nation. US Democrats should take heart from that achievement.

I've only read a bit about the lady but she looks impressive so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how she does in both the UK, but also the EU

gkirk

Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:52 pm

Boris is the new foreign secretary.
Phillip Hammond new Chancellor.

We're doomed Captain Mannering, we're doomed!
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

LAX772LR

Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:10 pm

An unelected monarch accepts the ascension of an unelected PM to the top of a semi-elected coalition style government.

......and why, again, are they so concerned about respecting the "will of the people" in this whole Brexit charade? ;)
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Klaus

Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Ken777 wrote:
Ironic that we now have a contemporary demonstration that a woman can be brought in to lead a amor nation. US Democrats should take heart from that achievement.

Well, it's not as if there was any proof of that still outstanding. Female government leaders are perfectly normal and have been known for several decades already, quite a few of them highly competent (and various questionable ones, just as with men).

I've only read a bit about the lady but she looks impressive so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how she does in both the UK, but also the EU

She made very interesting speeches and with a bare minimum of political platitudes at that.
She seems competent, rational and tough. As I've said in the other thread, I would expect that she will probably be the best Britain could hope for regarding the oncoming EU negotiations at this point. Although her actual policies still remain to be seen.

Whether Boris Johnson as foreign minister will turn out to be particularly brilliant remains to be seen, however. But I can see why she chose him.

Ken777

Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:05 pm

Klaus wrote:
Female government leaders are perfectly normal and have been known for several decades already, quite a few of them highly competent (and various questionable ones, just as with men.

But sadly not in the US.

Klaus

Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:11 pm

Ken777 wrote:
Klaus wrote:
Female government leaders are perfectly normal and have been known for several decades already, quite a few of them highly competent (and various questionable ones, just as with men.

But sadly not in the US.

That looks likely to change as well.

scbriml

Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:14 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
An unelected monarch accepts the ascension of an unelected PM to the top of a semi-elected coalition style government.

As a country, we never actually "elect the PM". Everybody gets to vote for just one MP, the party with the most MPs (assuming a majority), forms the Government. How do we have a coalition style government?

Klaus wrote:
Whether Boris Johnson as foreign minister will turn out to be particularly brilliant remains to be seen, however.

It could simply be that, as foreign minister, he'll have to do a lot of travelling. That means he won't be at home to screw things up. ;)

Seriously, it's an inspired choice. Boris was full of how easy it will be for the UK to trade with the rest of the World outside the EU. Now he has the chance to prove it!

David Davis is appointed as "Brexit Minister".
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

LAX772LR

Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:20 pm

scbriml wrote:
As a country, we never actually "elect the PM".

I know. That's the point being made.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

jetwet1

Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:49 pm

I was out running errands today, I had NPR on as I tend to do around noon if i'm in the car as they have the BBC World News on, I have to say, from the speech she gave and a recent interview, I sort of like her, direct, straight to the point and (amazing in a politician) not looking for the spotlight.

Dano1977

Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:12 pm

After selecting her cabinet, TM's next job will be to write her letters of last resort.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letters_of_last_resort

The letters of last resort are four identically-worded handwritten letters from the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to the commanding officers of the four British ballistic missile submarines. They contain orders on what action to take in the event that an enemy nuclear strike has destroyed the British government and has killed or otherwise incapacitated both the Prime Minister and the "second person" (normally a high-ranking member of the Cabinet) whom the Prime Minister has designated to make a decision on how to act in the event of the Prime Minister's death. In the event that the orders were to be carried out, the action taken could be the last official act of Her Majesty's Government.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

Bongodog1964

Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:39 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

......and why, again, are they so concerned about respecting the "will of the people" in this whole Brexit charade? ;)

The coalition govt ended in May 2015 and was replaced with a Conservative majority Govt, please keep up. Our PM has to be elected as an MP and then has to get the support of their fellow MP's in order to get the top job. At least this results in a political leader who can get their policies into law, unlike in the US where you separately elect a president, congress and the senate, usually resulting in political stalemate.

As to "why are they so concerned about respecting the will of the people in this Brexit charade" The one thing this is not to both the remain and leave sides is a charade, this is a very serious matter as illustrated by the depth of feeling shown and the high turnout at the poll. as to respecting it, when the Governing party makes it a manifesto commitment in order to get elected, it would be exceedingly bad form to fail to act on the result.

L-188

Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:18 am

Ken777 wrote:
Klaus wrote:

But sadly not in the US.

Please tell that to the following women:

Jan Brewer, Nikki Haley, Susana Martinez, Kate Brown, Gina Raimondo, Maggie Hasan , Sarah Palin, Mary Fallin, Beverley Perdue, Christine Todd Whitman, Christine Gregoire, Jodi Rell, Kathleen Blanco, Kathleen Sebelius, Janet Napolitano, Jennifer Granholm, Olene Walker, Linda Lingle, Ruth Ann Minner, Judy Martz, Jane Swift,Nancy P. Hollister, Jeanne Shaheen, Jane Dee Hull, Barbara Roberts, Ann Richards, Joan Finney, Rose Perica Mofford, Kay A. Orr, Madeleine M. Kunin, Martha Layne Collins, Vesta M. Roy, Dixy Lee Ray, Ella T. Grasso,Lurleen ,Wallace, Miriam A. Ferguson, Nellie Tayloe Ross

All of them were governors of their respected states, the highest government position in their respective states.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ltbewr

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:27 am

The new PM May does have some issues. One of them, from some (American liberal) sources, as Home Secretary she perused polices that were quite negative to those of the Islamic faith and mainly Islamic countries.

Dano1977

Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:51 am

David Davis minister for Brexit is interesting. Smart,Shrewd and doesn't back down. A safe pair of hands

He wrote this
http://www.conservativehome.com/platfor ... itain.html

As for Boris for Foreign Secretary... I initially laughed then I thought about it and realised that like it or not Boris is absolute gold dust around the world! He's the most recognised British politician in the world and even more than that has a higher profile than most of the worlds leaders. He's either going to completely screw it up or play a blinder - there's never a middle ground with Boris!
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

PanHAM

Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:25 am

From the aviation Point of view, chosing Boris J as Foreign Secretary was a smart move. We can assume that he will be spending a lot of time on the LHR tarmac. If that will Change his opinion about a third runway is, however, doubtful
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

zkojq

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:47 am

I'm very pleased that Theresa May got the job! I remember seeing one of her speeches to parliament a few years ago and thinking that she'd make a much better leader than Cameron. Never thought that would actually happen. She was definitely the best candidate for the job; not a brexiter but also someone who has said that they will honour the referendum (as stupid as the result was). I'm sure that she will do a good job and, given what complete and utter failures the last three occupants of Number 10 were, I'm sure that she will be remembered well. :)

Klaus wrote:
Female government leaders are perfectly normal and have been known for several decades already, quite a few of them highly competent (and various questionable ones, just as with men).

Absolutely.

Klaus wrote:
Whether Boris Johnson as foreign minister will turn out to be particularly brilliant remains to be seen, however. But I can see why she chose him.

scbriml wrote:
It could simply be that, as foreign minister, he'll have to do a lot of travelling. That means he won't be at home to screw things up.

Seriously, it's an inspired choice. Boris was full of how easy it will be for the UK to trade with the rest of the World outside the EU. Now he has the chance to prove it!

Dano1977 wrote:
He's either going to completely screw it up or play a blinder - there's never a middle ground with Boris!

I got the impression that his appointment was so that he could be the one to bear the consequences of brexit negotiations which he so confidently said would be easy and fruitful.

L-188 wrote:
Ken777 wrote:
Klaus wrote:

But sadly not in the US.

Sarah Palin

The quote from Klaus contained the words highly competent.
First to fly the 787-9

flipdewaf

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:36 am

Theresa may is a good shout and I think she will do a good job. Well respected and whilst a remain supporter she has not nailed her colours to the mast so hard as to not be acceptable to both sides of that recent debate. Safe, dependable, robust and respected; just what the UK needs right now.

Fred

Dano1977

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:47 am

zkojq wrote:
I'm very pleased that Theresa May got the job! I remember seeing one of her speeches to parliament a few years ago and thinking that she'd make a much better leader than Cameron. Never thought that would actually happen. She was definitely the best candidate for the job; not a brexiter but also someone who has said that they will honour the referendum (as stupid as the result was). I'm sure that she will do a good job and, given what complete and utter failures the last three occupants of Number 10 were, I'm sure that she will be remembered well. :)

Klaus wrote:
Female government leaders are perfectly normal and have been known for several decades already, quite a few of them highly competent (and various questionable ones, just as with men).

Absolutely.

Klaus wrote:

scbriml wrote:
It could simply be that, as foreign minister, he'll have to do a lot of travelling. That means he won't be at home to screw things up.

Dano1977 wrote:
He's either going to completely screw it up or play a blinder - there's never a middle ground with Boris!

I got the impression that his appointment was so that he could be the one to bear the consequences of brexit negotiations which he so confidently said would be easy and fruitful.

L-188 wrote:
Ken777 wrote:
But sadly not in the US.

Sarah Palin

The quote from Klaus contained the words highly competent.

Boris will be kept away from Europe - The Secretary for Brexit David Davis will be the point man on the negotiations for the EU.

scbriml

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:50 am

zkojq wrote:

Yes, he'll presumably have no direct involvement with the Brexit negotiations. However, that's only half the job. Trade deals with non-EU countries will need to be established and BoJo will have a role to play in that. While he has a reputation for being a buffoon, he is highly educated and well liked by many.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Pihero

Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:41 pm

scbriml wrote:
Trade deals with non-EU countries will need to be established and BoJo will have a role to play in that. While he has a reputation for being a buffoon, he is highly educated and well liked by many.

Start with the USA, China, Turkey, all the Commonwealth states, the Pacific states( you know, those cannibals ), France, Germany, the EU in general... ( must have forgotten a few more ).
There will be some interesting times, if not downright guffaws ahead.
J.M. Ayraullt seems to have summed the character up.

The Queen : " WE_ARE_NOT_AMUSED "... or is she ?

Your Majesty, this is the new British humour we will be entertaining our partners with !
Contrail designer

Pihero

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:22 pm

Found this in to-day's Guardian and I thought it' worth sharing :

" Presumably Theresa May just wrote "F. Off" next to Bojo's name and some civil servant misinterpreted it."
Contrail designer

seat64k

Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:05 pm

Ken777 wrote:
But sadly not in the US.

Given the candidates you've had so far, I'm not so sure about the "sadly" part.

L-188 wrote:
Jennifer Granholm/quote]

I've seen a few interviews with Jennifer Granholm and I've been nothing but impressed - too bad she's not eligible to be president. I don't follow American politics at a state level (except where it concerns my employer) so most of the names you list are new to me.

L-188 wrote:
All of them were governors of their respected states, the highest government position in their respective states.

But how many of them ran for president?

flipdewaf

Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Pihero wrote:
Found this in to-day's Guardian and I thought it' worth sharing :

" Presumably Theresa May just wrote "F. Off" next to Bojo's name and some civil servant misinterpreted it."

That's pretty funny!

victrola

Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:45 pm

I think it is a mistake to have someone who was in the remain camp as the new Prime Minister. When negotiations don't go as the Brexiters promised they would, it will inevitably be blamed on May for not being pro Brexit. Let Boris handle it. After all, I'm sure he thought the whole thing out before coming out in favor of Brexit.

scbriml

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:41 pm

victrola wrote:
I think it is a mistake to have someone who was in the remain camp as the new Prime Minister. When negotiations don't go as the Brexiters promised they would, it will inevitably be blamed on May for not being pro Brexit. Let Boris handle it. After all, I'm sure he thought the whole thing out before coming out in favor of Brexit.

She had the overwhelming support of the MPs. She's appointed a well-respected MP who was a leading Brexiteer as the minister in charge of the process. She's made it clear that while she was not in favour of leaving the EU, she will implement Brexit in the best interests of the country.

I really don't see an issue.

par13del

Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:13 pm

She does have the support of the MP's but to Victrola's point, all those MP's were also strong supporters in the Remain Camp, indeed, the majority of the political body supported Remain. It will be an interesting thing to see if the political establishment brings to bear the thought process of the EU supporters that the UK will have to abide by all EU regulations and pay all fees while having no voice at the table.
Not what the voters voted for but I can see the establishment who thinks they voted incorrectly aiding and supporting such an outcome. It would be the best of both worlds for them, as EU supporters a lot of them agreed that the UK rebate should go along with the pound along with other special considerations.

victrola

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:03 pm

The issue I see is that if things don't go well, the Brexiters will say that the Prime Minister, who was pro remain, did not negotiate hard enough and purposely negotiated a bad deal in the hopes that the British people would change their minds about Brexit. It would be better to have a pro Brexit Prime Minister who promised the British people that things would be better after Brexit handle the negotiations. That way, when things don't turn out well as they promised, the pro Brexit people only have themselves to blame.

ElPistolero

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:53 pm

May is probably the best of the options available. Hammond as Chancellor is also good. At least the remainers understand what's going on around them and fully understand the magnitude of what they're up against.

Unless I'm wrong, during the Brexit campaign, David Davis advocated negotiating trade deals with individual EU nations. Hopefully he's figured out now that that is impossible - and that he was wrong throughout the campaign. Who knows how he'll handle it, given that he's made it this far without knowing what he's talking about.

As for good old BoJo, he's managed to insult everyone along the way. Between his Churchillian hankering for British Imperialism, and his expressed disdain for former colonies, he'll be a fun one to watch.

From my perch across the Atlantic, I expect our British cousins are going to need all the leadership they can get. Britain is trending downwards - economically and socially (nativism anyone?). Let's hope May can right the ship, but I suspect our Brexiting friends will find that it's much more difficult to negotiate favourable agreements alone, not to mention the obvious fact that, short of huge British concessions, it's unlikely that any country is going to prioritize agreements with the UK over the EU.

We airs live in interesting times.

scbriml

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:59 pm

victrola wrote:
The issue I see is that if things don't go well, the Brexiters will say that the Prime Minister, who was pro remain, did not negotiate hard enough and purposely negotiated a bad deal in the hopes that the British people would change their minds about Brexit. It would be better to have a pro Brexit Prime Minister who promised the British people that things would be better after Brexit handle the negotiations.

She's appointed a senior Brexiteer as the minister responsible for the negotiations and he will have a whole Government department at his disposal. It's a hugely complex undertaking - it's not as though the PM will be handling all the negotiations personally.

Channex757

Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:01 pm

The Tory press is conveniently glossing over her failures in the Home Office, which is not in the least surprising. E-borders, immigration, all of it. She's by no means the ideal blemish-free candidate for the job.

On the other hand...can you imagine a Government led by the imbecilic Leadsom? Or the likes of Liam "Nimrod" Fox? Seems to me that May is the least worst candidate amongst the whole rogues gallery. Only the Punch and Judy show over at the Labour Party is keeping May's reshuffle and resignations off the front pages. Don't you just wish Jeremy Corbyn would burn that beige jacket and buy some decent shirts? It's hard to respect a leader who looks like a badly stuffed scarecrow.