Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alberchico
Topic Author

Who here will see the new Ghostbusters film ?

Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:29 pm

This is the most controversial film of the year. Hollywood has finally dealt with the issue of can women capture ghosts. Something I personally thought they wouldn’t have the balls to take on in my lifetime :)
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Eagle15

Re: Who here will see the new Ghostbusters film ?

Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Any airplanes in it??? :D

ArmitageShanks

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:11 pm

As soon as I can torrent it from PirateBay ill give it a go.

FabDiva

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:14 pm

Going tomorrow - have heard good things :)

Osubuckeyes

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:43 pm

If people want women to stand on their own in Hollywood they should be doing innovative, new, and creative stories like Bridesmaids rather than rehashing Ghostbusters for the sake of "social justice" or "equality". I think this is more representative of the lack of creativity that Hollywood has these days.

Okie

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Total lack of interest in Ghostbusters the Third on my part. The novelty pretty much ran out half way through Ghostbusters the Second.
Women in the staring roles have nada to do the lack of interest.
Yet to hear anyone even mention the movie.

Okie

FSXFlyguy

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:07 pm

Loved it! Very funny, great characters, lots of subtle nods to the original movie, a few cameos and a good good movie.

Aaron747

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:24 pm

Not interested. Pretty tired in general of the sequeltastic approach Hollywood is taking these last 5-6 years. It all started going downhill when someone decided to remake Total Recall...
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

kasimir

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:27 pm

Osubuckeyes wrote:
If people want women to stand on their own in Hollywood they should be doing innovative, new, and creative stories like Bridesmaids rather than rehashing Ghostbusters for the sake of "social justice" or "equality". I think this is more representative of the lack of creativity that Hollywood has these days.

Absolutely agree on this one!! The creativity and innovation in Hollywood is totally gone, if I want to be positively surprised I get it most of the time when watching some really great tv series, but hollywood has completely disappointed me my wife this year and we hesitate to even spent anymore money for the cinema, because we hate to be disappointed.

And like Osubuckeyes said, if women and hollywood want to give women (and possibly other minorities) some exposure, do it through creativity, make something new and not by putting women in a movie that was dominated by leading characters that were men, it doesn't work for me and ruins the whole franchise. There are great tv series like Homeland or Orange is the new Black that are dominated by women characters and I really enjoy it and I don't believe it would work if they decide to put males as those characters.

I have a problem that hollywood has become so political, I love diversity (I live in a very diverse country), but I hate it when its done for diversity sakes and political motivation, because then it feels fake for me! Nobody would watch a movie like "Straight outta Compton" if the leading characters were white! By the way, I loved that movie and is another great example of how hollywood can be diverse by innovation and great movie making!

FabDiva

Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:34 pm

Well I saw it tonight and I thought it was brilliant! Loved the ladies (and Kevin)

Flighty

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:11 pm

Speaking of women and Ghostbusters, nobody is going to exceed the women in Ghostbusters I and II, who were arguably just as important as the men. Sigourney Weaver was the co-star of both films. Annie Potts was a memorable support. They were ensemble movies.

You can't duplicate chemistry. People should create new chemistry and not duplicate old ideas, thinking there is some political duty to laugh... it was never about that! That is not how real culture works.

LenPepperbottom

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:17 pm

It looks pretty neat.

L-188

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:47 pm

alberchico wrote:
This is the most controversial film of the year. Hollywood has finally dealt with the issue of can women capture ghosts. Something I personally thought they wouldn’t have the balls to take on in my lifetime :)

Most controversial film of the year?

Only the promoters of the film believe that....or want people to believe it. That is marketing for you.

Fact is that this film is probably one that you are better off fiscally to wait until Netflix puts it up or Redbox.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

L-188

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:49 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Not interested. Pretty tired in general of the sequeltastic approach Hollywood is taking these last 5-6 years. It all started going downhill when someone decided to remake Total Recall...

It was downhill before that.

Nobody will ever convince me that the remakes of Ocean's 11, The Italian Job were better films than the original....

Flighty

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:09 pm

Maybe after a perfect movie is made, a remake could be a misdemeanor with like 12-24 months in jail for the director?

Tugger

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:34 pm

Does everyone here understand that almost all "art" and stories are "remakes"? I mean Star Wars is considered essentially a Western. And Westerns are just a certain version of tales of betrayal and love etc.

So get off the horse and enjoy the movie.... or not. Just know that there is little that is "original" out there.

And I now I'm going to get a beer, which I have done many times before and will then "remake the beer" into something else that I have done even more times. It's OK to do and redo something over and over again. So relax. :D

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

VapourTrails

Re: Who here will see the new Ghostbusters film?

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:15 am

I haven't seen any of them yet, and I remember when the original came out.

This thread has reminded me to see the first, before I even think of going to see the latest.

Cheers. =

flyingclrs727

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:00 am

I'll never get those 2 hours of my life back!

PacificBeach88

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:13 am

I liked it, and thought it was good. Not seller, but good. Chris Hemsworth as Kevin cracked me up, and I love Kate McKinnen.

L-188

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:57 am

Tugger wrote:
Does everyone here understand that almost all "art" and stories are "remakes"? I mean Star Wars is considered essentially a Western.

Tugg

Actually Star Wars is a rip-off of an Akira Kurasawa film, "The Hidden Fortress" so it is Japanese.

But then again so was Magnificent Seven.

L-188

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:58 am

Actually what has really turned me off to this is the "if you don't see it your are a sexist" advertising they are doing in social media right now.