Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260
Topic Author

Breaking : Attempted Coup attempt in Turkey by some Military

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:10 pm

Sky News reporting that an attempted coup in Turkey by some military.

news.sky.com

Update :

Turkish military blocks Istanbul bridges

Both of the main bridges in the Turkish city of Istanbul have been closed by security forces, reports say.

Traffic has been stopped from crossing both the Bosphorus and Fatih Sultan Mehmet bridges, but no reasons have been given.

There are also reports of military aircraft flying over the capital Ankara, with gunshots heard.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36809083

pvjin

Re: Breaking : Attempted Coup attempt in Turkey by some Military

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:22 pm

Good, I hope they execute Erdogan.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

kaitak

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:27 pm

I suspect this was a long time in planning; the Turkish military has strong secularist leanings and would have ben increasingly uncomfortable about the increasingly un-secular developments in the country, not to mention Erdogan's increasing power.

However a lot depends on just how much of the military is involved and how quickly and/or widely it spreads - and indeed what the public reaction is.

I think most outside Turkey would like to see the back of Erdogan, but he is a democratically elected president and it's by no means clear yet how much support this coup has.

LSZH34

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:30 pm

About time they kick his ass out of office!

OA260
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:31 pm

alberchico

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:32 pm

''Binali Yildirim said the military action was not authorised but it was not a coup. He said that the government remained in charge.''

Well the govt just denied a coup attempt was taking place......
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

vr-hkg

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:36 pm

alberchico wrote:

...which is precisely what you'd expect them to do were a coup taking place.

pvjin

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:37 pm

alberchico wrote:
''Binali Yildirim said the military action was not authorised but it was not a coup. He said that the government remained in charge.''

Meanwhile the military has officially announced that a coup is happening.

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/754049972522418177
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

curlyheadboy

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:44 pm

Damn, a coup attempt by a NATO military force... either this gets done quickly and allows other members to just side with the winner, or this is going to be a major diplomatic mess...
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

LSZH34

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:50 pm

curlyheadboy wrote:
Damn, a coup attempt by a NATO military force... either this gets done quickly and allows other members to just side with the winner, or this is going to be a major diplomatic mess...

The EU and especially Angie Merkel will regret bowing down to Erdogan and making pacts with him if the coup suceeds. They would deserve to be in this mess.
Last edited by LSZH34 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alberchico

So tanks, helicopters, military jets this looks like a well planned coordinated effort ...
Last edited by alberchico on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

fallap

Goodbye Erdoğan, don't let the door hit you on your way out.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

alberchico

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:51 pm

Looks like civilian police officers are being detained

ArmitageShanks

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:01 pm

pvjin wrote:
Good, I hope they execute Erdogan.

I agree.

alberchico

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:03 pm

So it looks like Erdogan was out of the country on holiday. Hopefully this will be a bloodless coup and an orderly transition can be implemented quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMwzat1wZk8

Here is some footage of the aircraft flying over the capital

Kiwirob

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:08 pm

After yesterday's terrible news this is a breath of fresh air and will be welcomed by many.

pvjin

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:11 pm

Something is burning:

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/ ... wsrc%5Etfw

Some shooting from an attack helicopter I presume:

https://twitter.com/dalyan/status/75404 ... 16/video/1

Jetty

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:12 pm

alberchico wrote:
So it looks like Erdogan was out of the country on holiday. Hopefully this will be a bloodless coup and an orderly transition can be implemented quickly.

50% correct. He was on vacation, but inside the country.

Scorpio

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:15 pm

Looking at FR24, it appears that, while planes appear to be arriving normally, nothing is taking off from either IST or SAW, which supports sightings of tanks outside IST. ESB does still appear to be operating normally.

LSZH34

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:26 pm

SU2134 to IST looks like they are diverting to Crimea.

http://www.flightradar24.com/AFL2134/a59b86b

Dreadnought

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:53 pm

I've been hoping for the military to act for years. I hope they put Turkey back on the right track.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

LSZH34

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:03 pm

Protests are starting to build up after Erdogan's TV message. Critical point now. It looks like a bunch of gullible pro-Erdogan Turks are protesting according to the news pictures. And these people should get free visa to the EU?

OA260
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:06 pm

Dahlgardo

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Its quite amazing to see how the secular tradition of Atatürk still is so strong founded in the military.

Latest news suggests the coup is very comprehensive, and not just work "a few dissatisfied colonels".

I hope they succeed.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

Aesma

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:12 pm

LSZH34 wrote:
Protests are starting to build up after Erdogan's TV message. Critical point now. It looks like a bunch of gullible pro-Erdogan Turks are protesting according to the news pictures. And these people should get free visa to the EU?

They voted for him, what do you expect ?

I hope there will be counter protests though from other parts of the population.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

OA260
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:13 pm

Sky News reporting gunfire heard at IST. Also gunfire downtown Istanbul. Explosions in Ankara.

Scorpio

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:54 pm

If this coup fails, you can bet that Erdogan's grip on the country will be stronger than ever. He will violently cleanse the military of everyone who has ever even looked at his picture the wrong way, and wil seize the opportunity to significantly speed up his race to becoming a full-fledged dictator and tyrant. Count on him violently crushing all opposition.

So this thing had better work...

ArmitageShanks

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:13 pm

I'm watching a periscope stream of people casually walking on the runway/ramp at IST.

Scorpio

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:21 pm

ArmitageShanks wrote:
I'm watching a periscope stream of people casually walking on the runway/ramp at IST.

Reports are coming in that demonstrators entered the airport and the military withdrew.

Some signs that this thing is already falling on its ass...

DDR

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:38 pm

Whatever happens, I hope the world lets Turkey decide this on its own. The U.S. and others don't have a great track record of picking the right side.

Derico

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:00 am

Snipers, race violence, terrorism, coups, civil unrest, migrants, extremism, high-sea territorial tensions, crazy nations with nukes, major coups...

And I still read some "wise" outlets whinging about Rio and it's pickpockets.

Brazil (and South America, except maybe Venezuela at this time), are a darn paradise compared to what is happening elsewhere.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

HELyes

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:07 am

Scorpio wrote:
If this coup fails, you can bet that Erdogan's grip on the country will be stronger than ever. He will violently cleanse the military of everyone who has ever even looked at his picture the wrong way, and wil seize the opportunity to significantly speed up his race to becoming a full-fledged dictator and tyrant. Count on him violently crushing all opposition.

So this thing had better work...

Fully agree, scary if the coup fails. And so it looks now.
Last edited by HELyes on Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

L-188

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:10 am

curlyheadboy wrote:

Apparently this would be the fifth coup in that country since WWII, so I wouldn't get excited about it yet.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

GianiDC

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 am

Well, but who knows what would happen if the military gains control. They could very easy set up a real dictatorship. And I don´t think that would be a sufficient solution. With the current Erdogan government, with all its flaws, you sort of know what you get.

Dreadnought

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:57 am

GianiDC wrote:
Well, but who knows what would happen if the military gains control. They could very easy set up a real dictatorship. And I don´t think that would be a sufficient solution. With the current Erdogan government, with all its flaws, you sort of know what you get.

You need to read up on Turkish history. Ataturk had instructions put right into the constitution that the Military had the duty and obligation to overthrow the government if it became too irresponsible or the separation between mosque and state became too muddied. They have done so several times, and every time they handed power back after cleaning out the trash. Ataturk knew exactly what he was doing.

I've been wanting this to happen for years, but I wonder if the army has waited too long. Erdogan's cronies are EVERYWHERE after 13 years, including the media. Weeding all that out will be very tough. We might be in for a rocky ride.

WarRI1

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:19 am

Dreadnought wrote:
GianiDC wrote:

You need to read up on Turkish history. Ataturk had instructions put right into the constitution that the Military had the duty and obligation to overthrow the government if it became too irresponsible or the separation between mosque and state became too muddied. They have done so several times, and every time they handed power back after cleaning out the trash. Ataturk knew exactly what he was doing.

I've been wanting this to happen for years, but I wonder if the army has waited too long. Erdogan's cronies are EVERYWHERE after 13 years, including the media. Weeding all that out will be very tough. We might be in for a rocky ride.

I have to agree, Turkey was on the slippery slope towards a Muslim dominated government. Ataturk was a visionary. Throw the Maniacs out before it is too late. Kill them if they have to, they are sure good at doing it to the non-believers.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Dreadnought

Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:54 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Dreadnought wrote:
GianiDC wrote:

I have to agree, Turkey was on the slippery slope towards a Muslim dominated government. Ataturk was a visionary. Throw the Maniacs out before it is too late. Kill them if they have to, they are sure good at doing it to the non-believers.

As expected, Obama and Kerry have voiced their support for Erdogan. Idiots. They should have stayed out of it. But then Erdogan is everything Obama wishes he could be...

It's not looking good. Several key generals, including the one in charge of Turkey's special forces are Erdogan's men, and it looks like they may have gotten the upper hand. If he wins, I'm sure he will succeed in removing the Army's commission from Ataturk as the final protector of a secular Turkey.

solarflyer22

Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:34 am

Erdogan is certainly ruining the country slowly IMO and the Turkish constitution actually does give the military the authority to intervene if needed. So its not illegal in that sense and the Army is not putting itself in charge, its a forced impeachment followed by elections that do NOT include Army officers. Very different situation than Egypt as a result.

Either way Turkey is screwed. Erdogan will be more authoritarian and Islamic, 3.5 million Syrian Refugees, Kurds will rise up and try to secede if it escalates to Civil War etc.

And oh by the way, while Americans were obsessed with Iran's non-existent nukes, its actually your nukes at Incrilik that are endangered.

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:44 am

Dreadnought wrote:
As expected, Obama and Kerry have voiced their support for Erdogan. Idiots. They should have stayed out of it. But then Erdogan is everything Obama wishes he could be...

Could you be any more wrong? Just like that moron I saw tonight on fox news saying the same nonsense. It's literally the worst idea I ever heard in politics. You really want to go out and support the coup when you are not assured they will take over? What if they fail? Which is likely going to happen. And now you have to deal with the leader you just turned on in front of the whole world. Whom you depend on greatly for military bases to stage ISIS targets, not to mention where you have nuclear weapons.

I, as with probably most in Washington and much of the world, wish that the coup was successful to remove Erdogan from power. Coming out and saying that at that time would be pure lunacy and the most short sighted and irresponsible gesture a President could have taken. It's no wonder you're the one cheerleading for it.

Oh and yes, everything Obama wishes he could be... like what, because he's Muslim right? And wants to progressively turn the country into Islamic theocracy? oh yeah. Grow up. Or grow something.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

L-188

Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:04 am

solarflyer22 wrote:
Erdogan is certainly ruining the country slowly IMO and the Turkish constitution actually does give the military the authority to intervene if needed. So its not illegal in that sense and the Army is not putting itself in charge, its a forced impeachment followed by elections that do NOT include Army officers. Very different situation than Egypt as a result.

Either way Turkey is screwed. Erdogan will be more authoritarian and Islamic, 3.5 million Syrian Refugees, Kurds will rise up and try to secede if it escalates to Civil War etc.

And oh by the way, while Americans were obsessed with Iran's non-existent nukes, its actually your nukes at Incrilik that are endangered.

And you think the US has nukes at Incrilik because?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:15 am

L-188 wrote:

And you think the US has nukes at Incrilik because?

Uhh... what would make you think it doesn't?

US/NATO had hundreds there throughout the cold war and it is widely believed some persist. Do you have some reason to believe otherwise?
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

pvjin

Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:11 am

GianiDC wrote:

Erdogan is turning Turkey effectively into an Islamic dictatorship, I would sure prefer a secular one.

DocLightning

Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:46 am

Dreadnought wrote:

The irony is that if you were Turkish you'd be an Ergodan supporter.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

seahawk

Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:24 am

As expected the coup has failed and the people have rallied behind Erdogan, the protector of Islam. Now it is time the cleanse the government and armed forces from the enemies of Islam and turn Turkey into an Islamic state where the Sharia law is followed.

HGL

Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:35 am

Well it appears that the coup has turned into a putsch. Erdoğan is reported to still be in control. Numerous arrests have been made, including 59 colonels, a rear admiral and 5 generals. Those in the forum who were cheerfully calling for blood will possibly see their wish come true but the victims won't be the ones that they hoped for.

The way the so-called coup was organised leads me to consider whether its planning satge was known to the intelligence services. Is it possible that Erdoğan knew of it and allowed its leaders to go ahead in order to justify a crack-down? The thing that stands out is how poorly arranged it was. Erdoğan was not in Ankara or Istanbul and wasn't arrested, no Government Ministers were rounded up. Strategic targets were not taken and secured. It all seems very amateurish.

But the question that I have for those in the forum who were baying for blood, do you really believe that a successful military coup would have benefited the ordinary people? Do you think that it would have been of benefit to the Kurdish people who have previously suffered at the hands of the military? Or don't you actually care about them?

Would a coup have led to the end of restrictions on journalists and to freedom of the press? If past experience of thousands being arrested, many tortured and some simply "disappeared" during previous episodes of military dictatorship are anything to go by, I have little cause to be too optimistic.
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

Aesma

Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:02 am

Derico wrote:
Snipers, race violence, terrorism, coups, civil unrest, migrants, extremism, high-sea territorial tensions, crazy nations with nukes, major coups...

Brazil (and South America, except maybe Venezuela at this time), are a darn paradise compared to what is happening elsewhere.

Pickpockets are one thing, but last time I checked there are street murders in broad day light too. And in some places in South America it's much worse, some of the most dangerous cities are in South America.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

bennett123

Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:03 am

I find it somewhat depressing how many folk who live in democracies think military coups, and likely the Generals then running the country, in or out of uniform is a good thing.

Clearly there was not a lot of support for this idea in Turkey.

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:26 pm

bennett123 wrote:
I find it somewhat depressing how many folk who live in democracies think military coups, and likely the Generals then running the country, in or out of uniform is a good thing.

Clearly there was not a lot of support for this idea in Turkey.

Maybe they think that getting rid of the current ruler will lead to them having more freedom ( eventually ). No doubt about it Western leaning Turks are suffering and having rights eroded each day. I guess until you live under it then it is hard to imagine. Obviously having a coup is a bad thing but maybe people feel it is a price worth paying to bring back a more democratic and free society.

JJJ

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:59 pm

Aesma wrote:
Derico wrote:

Pickpockets are one thing, but last time I checked there are street murders in broad day light too. And in some places in South America it's much worse, some of the most dangerous cities are in South America.

Not some, almost all of them.

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/most ... world.html

9 out of 10 most dangerous cities are in Latin America (the other is Cape Town), 17 of the top 20 (Cape Town plus St Louis and Baltimore) and 43 of the top 50.

No city in the top 50 is in Europe or Asia.

kevin

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:02 pm

This has "fake" coup written all over it.

The first rule of the coup is to capture the leader. Here not only do they "let" him escape in a fully fuelled and ready to go plane, they also let him appear live to
call the people to the streets.

Here is the scenario:

Spread the rumour about a coup within the military. Weed out the traitors.
Start the coup at a predetermined hour while you take off in ur private jet and look down at the fools while sipping on a hot cocoa
Give the idiots who believed this was real a chance to do some damage (for reality sake), meanwhile you carefully watch who joins them and who doeasn't
Land at the airport and emerge as a hero.
Next day arrest everyone who opposes you, consolidate power and congratulations. You are now a dictator!