Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:54 pm

What do you think about their new look?

http://underconsideration.com/brandnew/ ... tagram.php
Question everything. Trust no-one.

Tugger

Re: New Master Card logo

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:27 pm

Bland.

The lower case all black lettering does not look that good.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Aeri28

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:42 pm

Doesn't bother me. I dont have a strong opinion either way. I imagine they would not do anything radical. The globes are their identity.

PacificBeach88

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:53 pm

Looks like a decent refresh and easier to replicate across media and sizes.

coolian2

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Much better than the plain white Visa logo printed on card stock now.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

einsteinboricua

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:47 pm

What's with companies adopting flat, plain logos? When Google's Chrome logo went from shiny, orby, to flat, everything else started following it.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Ken777

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:40 am

I just wonder how much money was spent on design firms to come up with that design that an art class of 10 year olds could have done.

HGL

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:48 am

No doubt for those in marketing and brand image creation this is the most exciting thing to happen since sliced bread. For 99.9% of card users I suspect it will make no difference at all. Some might notice the change and think "this is different" but would they change cards just because someone decided a makeover that enables replication over a greater number of applications? Will it swing first-time applicants one way or the other?

No. As long as their credit application is approved, transactions are not declined, they'll continue using whatever plastic card they have in their wallet or purse. The only changes that will make the overwhelming majority of users apply for or swap one card over to another will be more attractive interest rates, interest free periods, loyalty schemes or whatever they see as providing a material benefit. Those features are largely determined by the various card issuers rather Mastercard. The colour of the balls or font face used is largely irrelevant to users.
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

LAX772LR

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:46 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
What's with companies adopting flat, plain logos? When Google's Chrome logo went from shiny, orby, to flat, everything else started following it.

Or, they could go the way of Uber... from a simple easy-to-associate design, to this new monstrosity:

I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

cjg225

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:55 pm

Welcome back, 1970s.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

PacificBeach88

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:18 pm

Sometimes I wished I worked in "branding". As a few of you mentioned MC probably paid in excess of $500,000 for this branding masturbation. I work in tactical direct marketing. Every campaign I work on comes with a profit / loss statement. We know at the end of every campaign of how many new customers we brought in, how much additional revenue, and incremental lift. We are judged solely on a cost / benefit / return system. These branding twats get to just "feel good" and get paid. *sigh*

flyingturtle

Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:46 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
We know at the end of every campaign of how many new customers we brought in, how much additional revenue, and incremental lift. We are judged solely on a cost / benefit / return system. These branding twats get to just "feel good" and get paid. *sigh*

This reminds me of how Wikimedia (the foundation behind Wikipedia and the sister projects) improves its fundraising. They frequently show other fundraising banners to the visitors, and they are playing with minute differences between them - just to find out what appeals people to give money to Wikimedia. With the huge number of visitors each day, they can easily do that...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Aeroflot777

Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:47 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
They frequently show other fundraising banners to the visitors, and they are playing with minute differences between them - just to find out what appeals people to give money to Wikimedia. With the huge number of visitors each day, they can easily do that...

This is almost always step one for any online marketer out there when it comes to campaign optimization. Simple A/B testing and every efficiently-run company with any sort of online presence should be doing this. One doesn't need wiki-type traffic numbers to be able to optimize using this method. I was always taught that if you aren't running at least one A/B test at any given moment, you are failing at your job description.