Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777222LR
Topic Author

Mercedes E550 vs. BMW 550i

Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Hey All,

Car related topic. Currently I have an Infiniti Q50S Hybrid. I actually really like this car. It's my first Japanese luxury car, and to be honest, I was hesitant to purchase it. I have always been a BMW or Mercedes guy. The Q50 was a leap for me. I have a friend who was, at the time, sales manager at the local Infiniti dealership that got me into the brand. I feel that the premium I paid for the Hybrid model, is a wash when it comes to higher gas mileage. However, I do enjoy the boost of HP the hybrid motor gives. It has the standard 6 cylinder, but the electric motor adds additional horsepower. It's super quiet. One thing I don't like about the vehicle is the disconnect. It's very Japanese in this sense. The electronic computer takes forever to start up. I'd say a good 30-45 seconds to be useable. The active lane assist really doesn't help much, and often times I feel the car, under it's own control, doesn't always know what is best. I rarely use it.

I've always enjoyed BMW and Mercedes. I'm very interested in both models from the two for my next vehicle, and I'm about a year out, but I need to start planning. Having said that, I will most likely not be buying these cars brand new. While the Infiniti model is top of the line, I can't justify buying a brand new Mercedes or BMW due to the depreciation. Any experience with either of these models? BMW is really more fun to drive in past experiences, while the Mercedes is more refined. I've also been looking at the new C-Class. I'm not opposed to the 6-cylinder version of any model, but I do enjoy the throatiness of the 8-cylinder engines.

Channex757

Re: Mercedes E550 vs. BMW 550i

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:33 pm

Why bother when there are Jaguars out there awaiting your check book? The Big Cats can match their German bretheren easily now.

There's also Lexus with a slew of new or improved models out there. To be honest the two big German luxury brands are a little played out now. If I ever come into sufficient cash I'll be off to Jaguar and ordering my dream supercharged XJ.

Redd

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:26 pm

Channex757 wrote:
Why bother when there are Jaguars out there awaiting your check book? The Big Cats can match their German bretheren easily now.

I had a chance to live with a 2015 XJ diesel for the weekend (a friends) and I have to say I loved it. Worth checking out for sure. I'd stay away from the diesel though, it seems under-powered compared to it's German counterparts.

Dreadnought

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:05 pm

I have a 2009 BMW 550i, and I have previously owned seven other BMWs, and a couple of Mercedes. The Mercs were both horribly unreliable - I'll never buy one again. My BMWs have all been incredibly reliable. I can only recall one water pump that had to be replaced (high milage, nothing unusual there) and an electric window that died. All were brilliant driving cars.

I agree that buying new is silly. Two of my BMWs were new, and I don't think I'll ever buy another new one again. My last two were 3-4 years old cars that were leased new and well looked after, bought at 50% or less of their original value. That's the way to go.

As for these lane assist and other new "driving aids", I am very concerned about them. There is no possible way that a car's sensors can be programmed for every possible scenario - pedestrians with metallic stripes on his jacket might be confused for a car - a new-fangled sports car with a 100% carbon fiber body might hardly register at all, and how about a small child on a tricycle? And then there is the computer... Same problem. If the computer believes you are about to hit a truck at high speed, there is a solid barrier on your left preventing any escape that way, and there is a mass of people on the sidewalk on your right. What does the computer decide to do - Slam into the truck and kill you, or careen into the crowd taking out god knows how many pedestrians? I've heard of automatic braking systems getting confused by steel objects in the road, such as steel expansion strips in the road, as pictured here.

The system thinks you are approaching a solid object and slams on the brakes.

I hear that some companies are testing 100% driverless systems. Tesla has already had at least one fatality. People have been photographed and filmed sleeping behind the wheel.

https://youtu.be/sXls4cdEv7c

Of course Tesla says that they are not supposed to do that and that you should keep your hands on the controls at all times, but who are we kidding? People will be sleeping, watching movies, etc. People will say that planes use autopilot all the time and modern systems could go gate to gate on autopilot, a) no passenger will get on a plane without a pilot, and b) even if only 1 pilot could probably do the job, if he's stuck all alone in front with an autopilot, he might catch a snooze too, so we have 2 pilots to keep each other honest.

And now we are hearing about driverless cars that don't even have manual controls in case you want to override the system. My big question - who got permission from all of us on the road to test this technology among us?
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Kiwirob

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:06 pm

You're missing the better German the Audi S6 is an fantastic car, the interior is also a
Much nicer place to be than either Mercedes or BMW.

Flighty

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:11 pm

Honestly I prefer older cars. Around 2005 Mercedes E-class was a fine car. Get it in perfect maintenance, dealer approved, great car.

Maybe it is just I can't see spending $70k on a car. Currently I am more impressed with Mercedes.

PacificBeach88

Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:47 pm

Frankly, all of my BMWs have truly been B-M-Trouble U's. I hate the way Lexus' drive for the most part except for the F-series. Only in the past 2 years have Mercedes finally entered the "driver's car" realm. I've loved my 2 Infiniti FX's and G35 sport. I love the way the new Audi's drive, perform, and look. I'm not sure about their reliability yet. I love the looks of the new Jaguars, but I assume much like my old Lotus I owned, they are hangar queens.

So all of that said, I've loved some of the new Mercedes I've seen and driven. I think Mercedes is finally on the comeback trail.

jetwet1

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:35 am

Kiwirob wrote:
You're missing the better German the Audi S6 is an fantastic car, the interior is also a
Much nicer place to be than either Mercedes or BMW.

While I would tend to agree with you, don't forget the V9 timing chain issue that Audi refuses to deal with, stay away from the V8's and you're fine.

You're forgetting about the original E500 and the 190E 2.3, both were fantastic cars, Jag's rightfully had a bad reputation, it should of been fixed under Ford, but it looks like it's taken Tata to really attack the issue, you now get a 5 year warranty with them.

Flighty wrote:
Honestly I prefer older cars. Around 2005 Mercedes E-class was a fine car. Get it in perfect maintenance, dealer approved, great car.

Maybe it is just I can't see spending $70k on a car. Currently I am more impressed with Mercedes.

I agree with you, 2 of my cars were bought 1-2 years old, the other was 8 years old when I bought it, but that was a special purchase where I got the car I wanted at a silly price (W12 Phateon for $16k with 25k miles on it), however, I would give a serious look to a M5 that is 2-3 years old, their value drops like a rock in the first 3 years (about 50% or $50k) but they tend to be driven by a more "mature" than the M3's and having had the luck to drive one around for a couple of days, if the wife wouldn't kill me I would buy one right now, it is IMHO the best driving car in the world and i'm not a fan of BMW's, but a 2013-15 M5 is where I would start looking.