Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

coolian2
Topic Author

Unarmed black man shot while laying on ground, hands in the air

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:42 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36859305

A Florida policeman shot and wounded an autistic man's unarmed black therapist on Monday, local media reports.

Charles Kinsey, who works with people with disabilities, told WSVN television he was helping a patient who had wandered away from a facility.

Mobile phone video shows Mr Kinsey lying down with his hands in the air, and his patient sitting in the road with a toy truck.

The City have contacted his legal representatives to offer a settlement. Looks like we've got the way the right wing makes trickle down economics work - shoot the poor folks and pay them off for it.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

Dreadnought

Re: Unarmed black man shot while laying on ground, hands in the air

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:52 pm

coolian2 wrote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36859305

A Florida policeman shot and wounded an autistic man's unarmed black therapist on Monday, local media reports.

Charles Kinsey, who works with people with disabilities, told WSVN television he was helping a patient who had wandered away from a facility.

Mobile phone video shows Mr Kinsey lying down with his hands in the air, and his patient sitting in the road with a toy truck.

The City have contacted his legal representatives to offer a settlement. Looks like we've got the way the right wing makes trickle down economics work - shoot the poor folks and pay them off for it.

Your last comment does not merit discussion. As far as the shooting is concerned, I haven't seen the unedited video, but it looks inexcusable. WTF was the cop thinking?
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

pvjin

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:02 pm

I wonder how many unarmed white people have been shot lately in the US. Probably many, but of course you leftist social justice warriors don't really care about them as they don't further your own agenda. #Onlyblacklivesmatter
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

coolian2
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Probably plenty. How many were laying on the ground, with their hands in the air?

And of the group, how many were shot by law enforcement officials? I'm pretty happy to speak up for them too.

PacificBeach88

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:21 pm

I don't condone the violence that police officers have been facing, but I understand the frustration that drives it. These non-stop, every few days, videos of innocent victims, or overly-aggressive policing have been the staple of the internet now for what? 3 years? Meetings, marches, demands for change, et al.... all amount to nothing. Innocent or unarmed or overly militarized responses have been killing people of color now, with no abatement. Desperate people do desperate things. Sadly, until white people realize that "driving while black" is a real thing, nothing will change.

Seriously, if you pull someone over for a taillight out (aka North Charleston), the suspect flees the car, yet you have his driver's license in your hand, you have his car right there, and you have his passenger right there, why would you chase? You roll up on his house in a few hours and simply arrest him. But no! These steroid enhanced freaks want to chase their prey. It gives all the good cops (90% of them) a horrible name.

LittleFokker

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:28 pm

http://usuncut.com/news/north-miami-cop-charles-kinsey/

And here's this year's award winner for the worst excuse: the cop was actually trying to shoot the Autistic man playing with the truck, AFTER the care taker told the cops that the man was Autistic, but missed and hit the care taker in the leg.

If the police union even tries to defend this one, they are lower than pond scum.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

pvjin

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:29 pm

coolian2 wrote:
Probably plenty. How many were laying on the ground, with their hands in the air?

And of the group, how many were shot by law enforcement officials? I'm pretty happy to speak up for them too.

Obviously I can't possibly know as the racist liberal media rarely publishes news about police brutality against people who don't happen to be black. Same thing in Finland really, actions that make no news at all if they were taken against white people make big news if the target happens to be black or Muslim. Commies and anarchists really love their race card.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

PacificBeach88

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:06 pm

pvjin wrote:
Obviously I can't possibly know as the racist liberal media rarely publishes news about police brutality against people who don't happen to be black. Same thing in Finland really, actions that make no news at all if they were taken against white people make big news if the target happens to be black or Muslim. Commies and anarchists really love their race card.

LMAO! So you're claiming that the only violence that makes your Finnish media is brown or black people being shot, killed, injured, etc... But all white on white violence is someone subsumed? LOL!

pvjin

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:08 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
pvjin wrote:

LMAO! So you're claiming that the only violence that makes your Finnish media is brown or black people being shot, killed, injured, etc... But all white on white violence is someone subsumed? LOL!

Yes, we never hear stories about white policemen shooting unarmed white people in the US, even though it most certainly happens. Yet when black men are shot by white policemen in the US it makes headlines here too.

PacificBeach88

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:13 pm

pvjin wrote:

Yes, we never hear stories about white policemen shooting unarmed white people in the US, even though it most certainly happens. Yet when black men are shot by white policemen in the US it makes headlines here too.

Ok, Capt Obvious, how about the ststistics that show black men are 3 times more likely to be stopped, arrested, shot, killed, and jailed vs white males? Do you think that might be a reason? *SMH*

N867DA

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:14 pm

pvjin wrote:
I wonder how many unarmed white people have been shot lately in the US. Probably many, but of course you leftist social justice warriors don't really care about them as they don't further your own agenda. #Onlyblacklivesmatter

It breaks my heart that young people from well-off countries can be so cynical, jaded, and bitter in the world. What is your problem? What is the agenda? We can talk about apparent police action against anyone--from civil forfeiture that bankrupts white Oklahomans to black guys in Florida that get shot on their backs.
Last edited by N867DA on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

PacificBeach88

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:14 pm

Here....you want a white boy being slaughtered by cops? Here you go: http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/07/14 ... -vstop.cnn

scbriml

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:15 pm

pvjin wrote:

Yeah, it's all a conspiracy of the "racist liberal media". I'm surprised you read anything other than Pravda. :lol:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

OA412

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:21 pm

pvjin wrote:

Here, knock yourself out:
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-i ... s-database

It's an easily available database published by the "racist liberal media" that'll answer all your questions.

N867DA wrote:
It breaks my heart that young people from well-off countries can be so cynical, jaded, and bitter in the world. What is your problem?
From what he's posted in another thread, it sounds like he can't get laid to save his life...
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Eagle15

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:23 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
pvjin wrote:

Ok, Capt Obvious, how about the ststistics that show black men are 3 times more likely to be stopped, arrested, shot, killed, and jailed vs white males? Do you think that might be a reason? *SMH*

Maybe because black males statistically commit more crimes than white males... BUT, this does not give police officers the right to treat black males any less than white males.

L-188

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:30 pm

This one is going to be different, not for the least of which because there is a survivor?

But if that video does contradict the current officer statements there there are some more issues at play.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

pvjin

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:35 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
pvjin wrote:

Not a valid reason, as somebody else pointed out black men are also much more likely to be criminal. I don't care about US police forces shooting down actual armed criminals who resist arrest, but shooting unarmed ones no matter the skin colour is wrong.

It breaks my heart that young people from well-off countries can be so cynical, jaded, and bitter in the world.

No need to feel bad, healthy cynicism is only a good thing IMO, because it leads to certain kind of peace of mind and realism. When I don't expect anything but misery as far as humankind is concerned I rarely get disappointed or lose my night's sleep over anything as I have no hope or wishful thoughts I could lose. Yet it's not pessimism, it's realism.

From what he's posted in another thread, it sounds like he can't get laid to save his life...

I'm actually quite happy with my sex life, but your care for this matter is truly moving.
Last edited by pvjin on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PacificBeach88

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:36 pm

Eagle15 wrote:

Maybe because black males statistically commit more crimes than white males... BUT, this does not give police officers the right to treat black males any less than white males.

Yet, they do. Where is your outrage there? Oh, and read this before rehashing your tired trope: https://www.americanprogress.org/issues ... ed-states/

PacificBeach88

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:39 pm

pvjin wrote:

Not a valid reason, as somebody else pointed out black men are also much more likely to be criminal. I don't care about US police forces shooting down actual armed criminals who resist arrest, but shooting unarmed ones no matter the skin colour is wrong.

Yet young (under 35 years old) white males are far, far, more likely to commit violent crime, murders, rapes, and crime in general. Therefore, you have no problem with white boys under 35 being gunned down and murdered by police, right?

scbriml

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:43 pm

pvjin wrote:
Yes, we never hear stories about white policemen shooting unarmed white people in the US, even though it most certainly happens. .

I guess you only see what you want to see. :roll:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... armed-whi/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... id-kassick

Of course, even heavily armed white men are sometimes just arrested rather than shot, despite waving their guns at cops!

http://usuncut.com/news/armed-white-man ... -alive-nc/
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

coolian2
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:45 pm

LittleFokker wrote:

And here's this year's award winner for the worst excuse: the cop was actually trying to shoot the Autistic man playing with the truck, AFTER the care taker told the cops that the man was Autistic, but missed and hit the care taker in the leg.

Honestly, The Onion is starting to get out of control. Satire is only funny when it's a bit believable.

pvjin

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:47 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
pvjin wrote:

Yet young (under 35 years old) white males are far, far, more likely to commit violent crime, murders, rapes, and crime in general. Therefore, you have no problem with white boys under 35 being gunned down and murdered by police, right?

Black males of same age are much more likely to commit those crimes than their white counterparts.

All I'm saying is that when we talk about racism in the US police forces we shouldn't automatically see disproportionate amount of black men being shot by police as a sign of racism, when inequality in criminality can explain the difference at least to some degree. This is not to say there isn't a problem, I think the US police forces are often too trigger happy towards people of all skin colours.
I guess you only see what you want to see. :roll:

I don't follow British media that much, though based on the impression I've got so far the media there is somewhat more balanced and free than in Finland where two media houses practically control all media, and journalists tend to be nearly universally liberal leftists.

Eagle15

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:59 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
Eagle15 wrote:

Yet, they do. Where is your outrage there? Oh, and read this before rehashing your tired trope: https://www.americanprogress.org/issues ... ed-states/

I read your link and it supports my comment.

par13del

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:41 am

For me the issue is not statistics saying black males commit more crimes but the statistics if there are any that black males are going around shooting white people and police officers.If officers approach all black males as if their lives are in danger it must be because numerous offices have been shot, assaulted or disproportionately threatened by black males.

seb146

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:54 am

par13del wrote:
For me the issue is not statistics saying black males commit more crimes but the statistics if there are any that black males are going around shooting white people and police officers.If officers approach all black males as if their lives are in danger it must be because numerous offices have been shot, assaulted or disproportionately threatened by black males.

Or there is the assumption by law enforcement that ALL black men are criminals. The first reaction by law enforcement to black men is shoot. I don't mind if law enforcement goes into a situation assuming everyone is a criminal, but to see a black man and open fire while seeing a white man and throwing him to the ground is bad.

This is a sad comment, but at least it was not a kill shot for once....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

par13del

Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:21 am

Even if police assume that all black males are criminals, where is that coming from, the only statistics put out are about young black males committing crimes against other blacks, not against whites or the police.
The police have a great fear of black people, if violence against them is not the creator of such fear what is it? No one thinks its race, so....

Dreadnought

Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:21 am

seb146 wrote:
Or there is the assumption by law enforcement that ALL black men are criminals. The first reaction by law enforcement to black men is shoot.

And where did you get your degree in telepathic psychology? Anyway, that is not supported by evidence.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

seb146

Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:57 am

Blacks have been the scapegoat for so many crimes in this country. And they pay more than their fair share of punishment. Look at all of the petty thieves and those caught with small amounts of drugs or those accused of rape. Statistically, blacks will be found guilty more often and serve harsher sentences than their white counterparts. Statistically, blacks are more likely to be pulled over for minor or no offences. Like driving a BMW or having a tail light out. Even if they have no record. These are statistics. Look outside the white right wing sound bubble and you will see actual, factual statistics.

jetwet1

Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:41 am

pvjin wrote:

pvjin wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

Okay, I have to ask, have you actually watched the video ?

You cannot seriously tell me that a man, laying on the ground, arms spread, legs spread, officers surrounding him poses any threat to those officers that requires shooting him ????

In that position, if you're feeling threatened by him, taser him, seriously, this whole thing is beyond stupid.

And yes, I am a middle aged white male Republican (that does not support Trump) that thinks the city of Miami better just cut a check for whatever amount they ask for because there is no way you can justify this.

WarRI1

Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:15 am

There is no way that this should happen in such a benign situation, two men on the ground, not touching each other, no weapons in sight, ridiculous and almost tragic.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

coolian2
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:20 am

WarRI1 wrote:
There is no way that this should happen in such a benign situation, two men on the ground, not touching each other, no weapons in sight, ridiculous and almost tragic.

The autistic gentleman had a toy truck. That could be a weapon...you could, like, step on it or something?

allrite

Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:42 am

coolian2 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

The autistic gentleman had a toy truck. That could be a weapon...you could, like, step on it or something?

After Nice, trucks are considered weapons. Sure it was a toy weapon, but it signalled intent.

Which, of course, it didn't. It's a sad indictment of both society and the police force to see guns being used as anything but the final resort. The escalation that happens when guns are common.
I like artificial banana essence!

Hillis

Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:46 am

L-188 wrote:
This one is going to be different, not for the least of which because there is a survivor?

But if that video does contradict the current officer statements there there are some more issues at play.

In the video age, we often see that an officer's statement is contradicted.

WarRI1

Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:51 am

Hillis wrote:
L-188 wrote:

In the video age, we often see that an officer's statement is contradicted.

On the local news just now, it reports that the police meant to shoot the man with the toy truck. and accidentally hit the man trying to help the man with the truck. :shock:
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

n229nw

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:10 am

LittleFokker wrote:

If the police union even tries to defend this one, they are lower than pond scum.

And it gets worse. He supposedly didn't even mean to shoot the guy, but somehow missed and hit him THREE times, and then instead of apologizing, they cuffed him and left him bleeding in the street for half an hour.

Apparently you aren't allowed to be a therapist while being black now.

Yet, obvs Pvjin knows this is a just a liberal conspiracy and them black people are spraying the chemtrails. :twisted:
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Kiwirob

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:50 am

pvjin wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

I think this one does matter, this black man wasn't a gangbanger, just an innocent man doing his job. The police can shoot all the criminals they like but this guy and the teacher from a couple of weeks back are shocking cases of cronicially undertrained and not suitable for the job cops making bad decisions on the fly.

Kiwirob

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:09 am

seb146 wrote:
Blacks have been the scapegoat for so many crimes in this country. And they pay more than their fair share of punishment. Look at all of the petty thieves and those caught with small amounts of drugs or those accused of rape. Statistically, blacks will be found guilty more often and serve harsher sentences than their white counterparts. Statistically, blacks are more likely to be pulled over for minor or no offences. Like driving a BMW or having a tail light out. Even if they have no record. These are statistics. Look outside the white right wing sound bubble and you will see actual, factual statistics.

Seb the situation in the US is pretty similar to what happens in NZ with Maori. This is a very good editoral by Alan Duff, eh wrote Once Were Warriors, which was turned into a film. Anyway it's worth a read and I think is applicable to the situation in the US.

Our youngest celebrated her 25th birthday recently. She lives in Whistler, Canada, and has yet to apply her university degree to any job but at least she has it. My eldest brother was in his grave at the same age, killed in a horrific car crash with five others, including two cousins. He dropped out of varsity, got lost in a fog of drinking, a talent voided by his traumatic growing-up experiences.

Another daughter just turned 38 is an accomplished classical pianist and doing a doctorate in creative writing. At that age I had managed to commit to writing - and finishing - a novel. But a big part of me still raged and little did I know it was waiting to come out in that first published book.

None of our children has known the violence that shaped me. My educated father was anti-violence but "married it". My Pakeha wife can look back at her entire life and recall not one act of violence. My life story is riddled with it on, sadly, the Maori side.

Only one person on both sides of my wife's family died young.

I can say the same about my Pakeha side: can't recall one dying young or tragically or from excesses. On the maternal side are at least a dozen early deaths, virtually all of them preventable. From car crashes (two siblings, two first-cousins), to lung and colon cancer, liver disease, heart attacks. The outcome of not knowing and therefore not seeking a healthier way to live.

I look back at my Maori peer group and too many mates died way too young. Middle-class people of any race don't often have shortened lives. They don't get into fights, are rarely involved in a major car crash, they don't get assaulted, murdered and tend not to be obese. They live healthily and practise moderation.

And because they read, they analyse, study, compare, consider - then take an informed action. Not so the uneducated, who suffer the consequences of being uninformed. The Moko tragedy has us all asking less than polite questions. But I don't think expressing disgust achieves anything.

No question that anger at rotten childhoods, being raised in an environment without intellectual stimulation, denied emotional maturity, brought up thinking that violence is acceptable - all of this explains nearly every gang member and criminal.

But what explains the hard-core 15 per cent or more of Maori who commit these awful crimes or are just drug and booze-addled losers? The other 85 per cent are the positive statistical story of growing numbers getting tertiary education, going into business, joining the middle-class. I've said before, I believe Maori are the most successful indigenous race on earth. But we need to do more.

More than 20 years ago, a study was done by a Maori researcher to find out the reasons for Maori educational failure. She came back with an unexpected finding: Criticism by Maori peers of any of their own striving to achieve. What happens if you're born into a social outlook that does not encourage aspiration or develop curiosity, gives you no life or social skills? How do you cope? What of a non-reading culture, meaning you know nothing about the world, how it all works and where you might fit and thrive?

It's why our literacy project focused on getting books into the hands of children: to give them the best start in life and embed in young minds the ethos that reading is essential. Keep kapa haka - it surely instils pride in its participants and backers. But Maori must embrace education too.

We must develop an intellectual element in our culture. Not stopped at just the traditional. We should aim higher and further, expand our minds. No reason Maori can't be up in the sky flying a glider, a helicopter, a plane, parachuting as recreational challenges, or making a career in aviation. The Maori helicopter pilots I met were all natural. Even your columnist did 70 hours of learning to fly a chopper.

Maori tribal authorities must take responsibility for producing and distributing books on parenting; books on understanding budgeting, applying for a mortgage, the disciplines required to be able to keep servicing the loans. They should have more regular face-to-face contact with the people, instead of hanging out in Koru Lounges and travelling business class.

We read of the Maori man who was inspired to get a PhD after his 5-year-old son said that his father sat watching TV all day. Career options for Maori should include a vast range of studies. Tribal authorities should have reps visiting intermediate and high schools showing them the vast array of career courses available. The change can only come from within.

tommy1808

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:14 am

pvjin wrote:
Black males of same age are much more likely to commit those crimes than their white counterparts.

on what bases? Same age group? Income group? Other socioeconomic factors included? More likely than whites growing up in the same neighborhood?

Does that BS still not get old? You can not even escape "Obama is a Kenya born Muslim" crap on the internet, if there is a video or pictures of a unarmed, white men with hands up on the floor getting shot by US cops there is absolutely no chance at all that video wouldn´t be posted in each and any related threat. Heck, 3 or 4 tea party Facebook friends are enough to have 50% of your feed consist out of long debunked political crap, and you seriously think those racist liberal media (by European standards the US doesn´t even have liberal media, at least among the majors) could somehow keep something like that under wraps?

Heck, Trump being a KGB sleeper agent plant out to destroy the US is about 100 time more likely than that feat of propaganda.

best regards
Thomas
Last edited by tommy1808 on Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

seahawk

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:34 am

I still can not understand how these 2 persons could be considered a threat. Maybe the cop did not know what "autistic" meant?

tommy1808

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:46 am

seahawk wrote:
Maybe the cop did not know what "autistic" meant?

people often feel threatened by people smarter than themselves.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

scbriml

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:55 am

coolian2 wrote:

It could have been one of those Transformer trucks and changed into a helicopter gunship. ;)

WarRI1 wrote:
On the local news just now, it reports that the police meant to shoot the man with the toy truck. and accidentally hit the man trying to help the man with the truck.

Some of these police officers shouldn't be out on the streets, let alone be armed. Even more mind-boggling is the fact they were trying to shoot the guy with the truck. WTF? :o :?

flyingturtle

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 am

Incidents like these are making it easy to believe that the US police is just of a bunch of professional killers.

And now cue the response "But 99% of all policemen are doing their job right!"... no, people with disregard for human life should be fired on the spot. Long before anything happens. Any bad incident tarnishes the reputation of them all.

scbriml wrote:
Some of these police officers shouldn't be out on the streets, let alone be armed. Even more mind-boggling is the fact they were trying to shoot the guy with the truck. WTF? :o :?

...and didn't hit? :shock:

When watching the video, my first thought was... did any of the police bring binoculars? They might help a little with identifying a weapon.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

OA412

Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:33 pm

pvjin wrote:
I don't follow British media that much, though based on the impression I've got so far the media there is somewhat more balanced and free than in Finland where two media houses practically control all media, and journalists tend to be nearly universally liberal leftists.

I noted you completely ignored my link as well as other links that disprove many of your assertions. Look, here's some unsolicited advice. You fashion yourself as someone who has the education and know-how to navigate the internet and learn about the world and how it operates yet, time and time again, your posts on here prove you're not learning about the world through a critical lens, just practicing confirmation bias over and over. Scbriml was correct to say you only see what you want to see. That's fine, but don't pretend that you're some noble truth-teller, willing to say the things no one else is. You're not. As I recall you're either in your very late teens or early 20's. You have A LOT to learn about life and the world around you. It's not all as black and white, us vs. them as you seem to think it is. And frankly, your posts are no different than a lot of what I read from disgruntled, mediocre white men in the United States who are just angry that they can no longer get by on their skin color alone in spite of their mediocrity.

D L X

Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:46 pm

pvjin wrote:
I wonder how many unarmed white people have been shot lately in the US. Probably many

Don't wonder. Do the research. Otherwise you're just being lazy.

pvjin wrote:
#Onlyblacklivesmatter

Only the illiterate think this.

wingman

Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:46 pm

Here's today's daily dose of cops gone wild. I really do believe that this shit has been going on forever and we're now finally forced to confront the truth due to the pervasive use of cell phone video and police cam corders. It just begs the question how does a cop do this to an unarmed woman on a traffic stop. Would he have done this to a white woman, or even a hispanic woman, an Asian woman? I think he answers his own question when he tells her in the cop car that "blacks have violent tendencies". It's all so dperessing, this kind of behavior and the recent string of cop killings. Take a look:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/lo ... ers/nr3W6/

OA412

Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:56 pm

wingman wrote:
Here's today's daily dose of cops gone wild. I really do believe that this shit has been going on forever and we're now finally forced to confront the truth due to the pervasive use of cell phone video and police cam corders. It just begs the question how does a cop do this to an unarmed woman on a traffic stop. Would he have done this to a white woman, or even a hispanic woman, an Asian woman? I think he answers his own question when he tells her in the cop car that "blacks have violent tendencies". It's all so dperessing, this kind of behavior and the recent string of cop killings. Take a look:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/lo ... ers/nr3W6/

I saw that yesterday. Boggles the mind. Here's the thing, I think you're absolutely correct that this has been going on forever but that we're finally able to confront it through a combination of cell phone video and people saying they've had enough. I've shared this in the past, but I worked for a police department for several years. The older employees would tell stories about what it was like when they first started in the early 80's. They shared that back then, anyone who was arrested was automatically beaten up by police. They'd say these things and wouldn't even bat an eye. Some would even laugh about it. It's nothing new, again we've just finally reached a point where people are saying enough is enough.

einsteinboricua

Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:02 pm

Some people here are claiming that Blacks are much more likely to commit crimes than Whites. I have no evidence to dispute or support the claim so that's irrelevant. However, the force of the law on either one is applied differently. A White guy in Charleston commits a massacre, and he's escorted without so much as a single shot fired; a Black guy with a broken taillight is pulled over, he ends up dead even while complying with officer's instructions. A White guy commits rape and is sentenced to six months in prison; a Black guy sells illegal cigarettes and is choked to death.

The media truly puts a spin on things. It's called ratings. However, what is undeniable is that police force (and the judicial system) is applied strongly on Black people for the simplest of crimes while White people can commit heinous crimes and be given good treatment.

I don't agree with the way Black Lives Matter has handled this. The protests by riots and impeding traffic are not the way to go on about this. The police officer isn't the enemy; it's the system. The environment in which the police officer was brought up in is to blame; the system where a judge can sentence someone for an infraction to months or years in jail or left off by the color of the skin; and more importantly, the system that allows officers to get away with no consequences. The fact is, when you "panic" when there was no clear danger, it means you're not up to the job. If I, as a pilot, felt the same stress, panicked and crash landed a plane, I could kiss my job good bye if there was no reason for it, and yet officers are put on leave with pay and IF indicted, are usually found not guilty.

So it begs the question: why was this man forced to lie down with hands up in the air and then shot? What threat did he pose to the officers? And why will the system allow the officer to walk away unscathed?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

D L X

Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:01 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Some people here are claiming that Blacks are much more likely to commit crimes than Whites.

Yup. And they're using that idea, regardless of whether it's true, to show that brutality against blacks is therefore JUSTIFIED.

I challenge them, and pvjin in particular, to explain how that comports with innocence until proven guilty? A black teacher in Texas was slammed to the ground upon arrest yesterday. Take the badge off, and that is an up-and-down case of battery. The cop says in part that blacks get treated differently because blacks have a proclivity towards violence. What. The. F. Do you, pvjin, believe that a cop may brutalize a black citizen because blacks are more likely to commit a crime than whites?

If so, please explain your logic, step by step. If not, you should not utter again the idea that it's because blacks commit more crime.

einsteinboricua wrote:
However, what is undeniable is that police force (and the judicial system) is applied strongly on Black people for the simplest of crimes while White people can commit heinous crimes and be given good treatment.

Yup. And deep in their souls, whites believe this too. Pvjin asks about why no one is talking about unarmed whites that are shot by the police -- the answer is that whites do not believe that unarmed whites are in danger from the police. If they did, they have the same cell phone cameras that minorities have, and would be filming their interactions with the police. Filming cops is something that is done out of fear, and white citizens simply have no fear of this. Nor should they.

flyingturtle

Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:02 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
The police officer isn't the enemy; it's the system.

Especially when there are allegations of racism, I wish criminal proceedings could be performed in a double-blind-manner: The accused as well als his lawyer doesn't know about his judge, and the judge doesn't know about the accused. After the trial, though, what person was sentenced - black, hispanic, white - and what race the judge had.

The justice system is rife with injustices. This study from Israel that showed that parole judges more often set prisoners free when they had just eaten, as opposed to those prisoners whose paperwork was read in the late morning or late afternoon is just one example of judicial imperfection.

einsteinboricua wrote:
why was this man forced to lie down with hands up in the air and then shot?

The officers shouted to both of the people, not just the therapist.

einsteinboricua wrote:
What threat did he pose to the officers?

The toy could have been a weapon! EVERYTHING COULD BE A WEAPON!

In this case, a good SWAT officer (duh, he didn't even hit the intended person...) would have noticed that the therapist was more stressed by the police, and not by the child. It's just fucked up. Given these reports, I can now understand those who want to gun down threatening people - even if they were policemen "just doing their job".

OA412 wrote:
anyone who was arrested was automatically beaten up by police.

I hope this sad time is over. I've heard about the promising example of Richmond CA, where the police was transformed to go more on foot, instead of scooting around in cars (and not having contact with citizens), have a more racially diverse police force, and better training. The same city has a mentoring/counseling program that, based on own and police records, tries to foster a better relationship with those people who are most likely to commit a violent act, or be the victim of one.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

seb146

Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:02 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Seb the situation in the US is pretty similar to what happens in NZ with Maori. This is a very good editoral by Alan Duff, eh wrote Once Were Warriors, which was turned into a film. Anyway it's worth a read and I think is applicable to the situation in the US.

We do need much better public education in this country. No one is questioning that. It would really help out whites in the rural areas as well as inner city blacks. But, we also need to get cops to not pull over blacks just because. Making public education better and more accessible is a great long term goal. But, a short term goal is to train police that not all blacks are criminals. Just like a great short term goal is to educate people that not all Muslims are terrorists.

Knowledge is a powerful tool.