Daria
Topic Author

washer after 15 years..

Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:13 am

Hi.
I read this. Old topic(15 years old)
viewtopic.php?t=1048217

and now looking for a washer. yes, i am from europe... and same this problem about washers I see now.. themp in "warm/cold/hot" not in C or F.... and yes, my zanussi(10 years old) and bosh dryer(9 years old) make it better than modern whirlpool :(. may be somebody can help with good washer name? Thanks. and sorry.

BreninTW

Re: washer after 15 years..

Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:51 am

I have a front-load LG washer that I bought 7 months ago that shows the temperature in degrees C.

DocLightning

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:06 am

I've lost count of how many places I've visited, but one thing I've noticed: washing machines are DRASTICALLY different from continent to continent.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

jetwet1

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:29 am

We have Samsung front loaders, but yes, they have the cold/warm/hot thing, i'm trying to remember, but I think our old Bosch had an actual setting for the temp.

fr8mech

Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:50 am

I freaking hate-front load washers. They stink after a while, and the clothes seemed to have a film on them. I had to replace the gasket once, there's a fun job, because mold started to form on it.

I now have a top-load, Whirlpool. It has automatic temp controls, with manual override.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Ken777

Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:22 am

We bought our Whirlpool washer and dryer sometime in the 90's - can't really remember - and they were the least complicated ones we could find. I don't care about the actual top - it's just Hot for white cotton (old man's underwear) and warm for everything else. Dryer set on low as the fabric comes out softer.

After all those years I'm still a fan of simple & cheap. There are too many things to do with your money, especially if you have kids, that going top dollar doesn't make sense to me.

sccutler

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:21 am

Buy Speed Queen. Last absolutely forever. Pure commercial grade.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Channex757

Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:50 pm

fr8mech wrote:
I freaking hate-front load washers. They stink after a while, and the clothes seemed to have a film on them. I had to replace the gasket once, there's a fun job, because mold started to form on it.

one of my pet hates too. I clean mine regularly with that Dr Beckmann stuff. You wipe down the gasket with the fluid, then dump the rest in the drum and run it on an empty hot cycle. It kills off any nasty stink and removes debris from the washer including any limescale buildup.

My last washer lasted over 10 years doing that, and I only replaced it as the springs were getting fairly slack and the bloody thing used to dance around the kitchen on spin cycle. It was also looking a little ratty cosmetically. It never needed a single service or repair visit though in all that time (Hotpoint brand)

desertjets

Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:47 pm

In our old place we had a then brand new Fridgadare front loader -- In order to keep it from smelling and being generally not damp inside we always left the door cracked open a bit when not in use. Still needed to use the washer cleaner powder every month or three to keep it clean though. Other than that it was really nice, spun the clothes out really well so you didn't need a long time in the dryer.

Fast forward to the current place where the landlord didn't provide a washer/dryer I thought I could cheap out and find something used. The used washer ended up being a 20 something year old Whirlpool. It lasted a year but then crapped out last month. After calling around and discovering it would cost $100 just to have a repairman show up to my house to look at it we decided that just getting something new was a better deal. Ended up with a Samsung top loader HE machine. Since it doesn't have an agitator its basket capacity is huge. Only downside is that a wash cycle is fairly long. Oh and it has a self-cleaning cycle that I need to try soon, apparently you just run it once a month and you don't even need to use the cleaning stuff in it.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

FriscoHeavy

Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:27 pm

fr8mech wrote:

I now have a top-load, Whirlpool. It has automatic temp controls, with manual override.

We bought a Samsung Front Load Washer about 2 1/2 years ago. We were on the fence in regards to get a top-load or front-load due to hearing these things. We haven't had a single problem. Unless company is coming over, I keep the door slightly ajar so that it can completely dry out (I do this with the dishwasher too) and run an "odor removing pod" through it about once a month as a proactive preventative.

We absolutely love the washer and there is no stinky funk or film on the clothes. If you keep the inside dry, which should be done with any device that get wet/can trap water, there won't be an odor.
Whatever

fr8mech

Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:29 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

We bought a Samsung Front Load Washer about 2 1/2 years ago. We were on the fence in regards to get a top-load or front-load due to hearing these things. We haven't had a single problem. Unless company is coming over, I keep the door slightly ajar so that it can completely dry out (I do this with the dishwasher too) and run an "odor removing pod" through it about once a month as a proactive preventative.

Been there, done that. Didn't seem to help very much. The most concerning part was the mold growing on the seal. About a year after I replaced the seal, I noticed it growing back. Maybe I got a contaminated washer, maybe not, but I got rid of it. Much easier to keep the top-load clean and dry.

By the way, my washer was a Bosch, as is the drier I bought at the same time, which is still in use 11 years later.

Max Q

Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:15 am

Never had an issue with mold on the front seal on my old Whirlpool front loader but its been an issue on my new one since I got it.

I just pour some mold remover on it and scrub with a brush to remove it (carefully so as not to damage the seal) in combination with putting an 'Affresh' tablet once a month that takes care of the problem.

I wouldn't go back to top loaders again, the front loaders use a lot less water and power., when my clothes come out of the washer they're almost dry already with the very high spin cycle so the dryer doesn't have to work very hard.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns are a malignant cancer that are destroying our society

flipdewaf

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:40 am

Not allowed top loaders here, issues with kids in them I think so no choice there for me. Ours (Zanussi I think) seems OK but does have the smelly door seal occasionally but that is fixed by giving it a wipe with a disinfectant wipe and about once every few months put some cleaning stuff in with a towel.

Fred

Edit: I lied (not on purpose), the lack of top loaders here is due to space constraints because our houses are smaller here.

Dreadnought

Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:01 pm

fr8mech wrote:

Jeez, did you ever clean it???

Throw one in once a month and no problem.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Kiwirob

Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:06 pm

DocLightning wrote:
I've lost count of how many places I've visited, but one thing I've noticed: washing machines are DRASTICALLY different from continent to continent.

Explain please. In my experience they are either front loading or top loading, in Europe almost always front loading, in NZ and from watching plenty of flipping house programs in the US you get front and top load machines.

DocLightning

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Explain please. In my experience they are either front loading or top loading, in Europe almost always front loading, in NZ and from watching plenty of flipping house programs in the US you get front and top load machines.

In the US they tend to be top-loading, simple boxes with a few buttons and dials. In Australia they were top-loaders with a maze of buttons and dials and no central column (to be fair, there is standardization happening, my 2012 model machine at home is a HE machine that has no central column). In Europe they tend to be front loaders with a maze of knobs.

I just notice that there seems to be little industry standardization across continents for what is ultimately a relatively simple machine.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

fr8mech

Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:29 am

Dreadnought wrote:

Of course I did. I even ran a 10% bleach solution through it ever now and again. Still had the problems.

DocLightning wrote:
no central column

Us technical types call that an "agitator", and the machine I bought 2 years ago doesn't have one.

drew777

Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:32 am

Since the construction of our house is nearing completion, we've been doing an awful lot of research on washing machines. I honestly don't see an alternative to buying a speed queen. We had a front load Maytag set a few years back. It washed OK but suffered from buildup on the front rubber seal. From what I have read the top load HE machines don't wash good or last long.

The washing machines are different in Asia. They are top load without an agitator but are not HE. The whole tub fills with water. They seem to work good

Channex757

Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:08 am

Funny thing is, it's almost impossible to buy US-type machines over here in Britain. That kind of design used to be ubiquitous until a company called Rolls Razor made the frontloader both cheap and desirable. Prior to that most homes had toploaders or the popular Twin Tub, which apparently is still extremely popular in some Asian markets.

never had an issue so far with a front seal as I use that Beckmann stuff regularly and also leave the door cracked to ensure the drum and seal dry out.

DL_Mech

Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:09 pm

Daria wrote:
temp in "warm/cold/hot" not in C or F....

The reason you don't see calibrated temp controls on a washer is because the machine is dependent on the temperature of the water coming out of the water heater. I wonder if any of the high-end washers have internal water heaters?
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

mrromalley

Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:11 pm

Just ordered two new whirlpool top load units.

Okie

Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:20 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
The reason you don't see calibrated temp controls on a washer is because the machine is dependent on the temperature of the water coming out of the water heater. I wonder if any of the high-end washers have internal water heaters?

Yes, I have the Maytag Bravos XL.
It does have a built in water heater with 5 temperature selections although no actual indication as to what that temperature is C/F and it also has "steam" cycle, of which I have never tried.
It is a top loader without a center agitator.

I has multiple cycles relating to the amount of water that is used. It will operate from the Eco mode which is normally used and intermediate cycles to the extreme of filling the whole thing with water which I have never used.

It has 5 selections each for temp, agitation, and spin speed.

I started out with the agitation at 4 but backed it down to 3 (med) because it was so aggressive that it seem to tie the clothes together from the agitation.
The spin speed at 4 (I have not tried 5) is nice, you can wash a load of clothes with 5 pair of jeans and it removes enough water from centrifugal force that the dryer will finish the job in less than 20 minutes.

Okie

photopilot

Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Dreadnought wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

Geez.... I've had a top-loader for 18 years now and you NEVER have to clean the washer. A washer is supposed to clean other things.... not you having to clean the washer. Talk about a make-work project. And in 18 years, never a single problem or cost to me. How much of that washer cleaner junk would you have to buy to keep that front loader clean over 18 years and at what cost.

I simply won't ever buy a front loader as long as I can find a top-loader anywhere on the continent.

PacificBeach88

Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:49 pm

photopilot wrote:

Geez.... I've had a top-loader for 18 years now and you NEVER have to clean the washer. A washer is supposed to clean other things.... not you having to clean the washer. Talk about a make-work project. And in 18 years, never a single problem or cost to me. How much of that washer cleaner junk would you have to buy to keep that front loader clean over 18 years and at what cost.

I simply won't ever buy a front loader as long as I can find a top-loader anywhere on the continent.

Thank you! I hate front loaders after having lived in Prague for a year. Damn thing was worthless. My parents and siblings all hate theirs. Me? I buy a set of simple washer / dryer machines for under $1000 for both and run them to death for 12+ years. Then again, I only do about 5 loads of laundry per month. So why spend $5,000 a set???

fr8mech

Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:21 pm

photopilot wrote:
A washer is supposed to clean other things.... not you having to clean the washer. Talk about a make-work project.

Not to get into too much of a tangent here, but this is a result of government regulation and a cultural shift. We have pushed environmental standards that demand we reduce the amount of water used in our washers (dishwasher, included) AND we have reduced the environmental impact of the detergents we use. Couple this with the water quality in some places (hard vs. soft) and you have a washer that needs to be cleaned on occasion. I even run it once a month without a load and bleach in all the dispensers...of course, that demands I run it once again, without anything in the dispensers to remove any trace bleach.

DocLightning

Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:51 am

Dreadnought wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

So this is a known issue with front-load washers. YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY LEAVE THEM OPEN WHEN NOT IN USE. If you clamp them closed, moisture gets trapped inside and mildew occurs, and it occurs in little nooks and crannies where no amount of cleaning cycles is going to get rid of it. Top-loaders don't actually seal on top, so they do not have this issue. And with a top loader if you press "Start" and then suddenly find a stray sock on the floor that should be in there, you just press "pause," open the lid, drop in your sock, and press "Start"again. With a front loader, once water starts to go in, there's no turning back. Even if you realize your pet hamster is stuck in there.

For me, the one and only advantage to a front-load washer is that it makes it possible to stack a dryer on top of it. Otherwise, a high-efficiency top-loader is a superior choice.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

VapourTrails

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:47 am

I've only ever bought cheap ones, and yikes - even second hand. Always top loaders. Never had a front loader at home so continued the tradition. I go on price rather than brand. I bought a good branded fridge and it only lasted five years. Washers, I've bought cheap unknown brands and they've lasted years beyond expectation.

I only use cold water, but add hot water from the kettle so it ends up tepid. Use liquid rather than powder, much less residue. Can't go wrong with lemon, some detergents are SO scented it is sickening. But I digress.

When my it will last five to seven but still have after ten goes, I will get one which has more technology and button pressing to play with. LOL.

With regard to the cleaning, I run an empty cycle using white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda every eight to ten weeks. It does make a difference, as does leaving the lid up when not in use.

Adipasquale

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:00 am

My family has a Maytag top-loader from the late 1970s-early 1980s that came with the house and after 35+ years, its still going strong and has never needed any repairs in the almost 10 years my family has owned it. We own a couple rental properties that have much newer Maytag machines installed, and we will semi-regularly get calls that the machine broke and needs to be fixed. I don't think they make washing machines like they used to.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 77L 77W

fr8mech

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:21 pm

DocLightning wrote:
YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY LEAVE THEM OPEN WHEN NOT IN USE.

Hell, I leave my top-loader open. No reason not to. The more air that gets to it, the faster it will dry and the less chance of mold development.

DocLightning wrote:
With a front loader, once water starts to go in, there's no turning back. Even if you realize your pet hamster is stuck in there.

Just saw an ad in a magazine; one of the big manufacturers is adding a door in the the door, above the water line, so you can add that errant sock. Not sure you can rescue a hamster, but what your hamster is doing in the wash is between you and it.

DocLightning wrote:
For me, the one and only advantage to a front-load washer is that it makes it possible to stack a dryer on top of it. Otherwise, a high-efficiency top-loader is a superior choice.

Agreed. I really don't see any real advantages to a front-load. I guess if you're easily entertained by watching the spinning, it has some value.

But, the choice is yours and you're free to make it.

Max Q

Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:45 am

[ With a front loader, once water starts to go in, there's no turning back. Even if you realize your pet hamster is stuck in there.

Not true, I can and often do pause my Whirlpool front loading washer shortly after it starts washing, it waits a few moments while draining the water then unlocks the door, you place the items in then you hit start and it resumes the cycle.

No problem.

I'd never use a top loader again.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns are a malignant cancer that are destroying our society

DL_Mech

Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:32 am

DocLightning wrote:
Top-loaders don't actually seal on top, so they do not have this issue. And with a top loader if you press "Start" and then suddenly find a stray sock on the floor that should be in there, you just press "pause," open the lid, drop in your sock, and press "Start"again. With a front loader, once water starts to go in, there's no turning back. Even if you realize your pet hamster is stuck in there.

We came close to buying a front loader, but the "sock" thing is what pushed us to buy a high-end top loader. No need to wait for water to drain to put in a single sock........
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

LAH1

Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Space in the laundry room here is the factor that makes us choose fronties. Visits to the US and Mrs L is loving the practicality of the top loader which we can buy here in the UK if you know where to look. We live near a USAF base and there are several. The front loader we have is a Miele, second since 1985, they last longer than the Old Testament without going wrong. Pricey but you get what you pay for.