Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

coolian2

Re: Colin Kaepernick Sitting For US National Anthem

Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:19 am

It's funny this poster doesn't recongise the global society we live in. I note no response to me living in Memphis, having relationships with people in, admittedly, my own society who are repressed, a continued interest in the United States which I get from THE INTERNET.

So....in my community, I'm learning Te Reo Maori, I'm aiming to get Samoan done, and when I finish my teaching degree this is the part of Auckland I want to teach in. To empower children who are effectively told from birth they're useless because they're brown. You think I can't recognise [sic] this elsewhere?

Kinda wish I could find a mic drop gif, but I am still lazy.

coolian2

Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:57 am

I must note I do not expect an answer from the poster.

MaverickM11

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:22 pm

wstakl wrote:
Last week Penn State University HONORED Joe Paterno, a guy who knowingly harbored serial child RAPIST Jerry Sandusky......yet Americans decide to get more outraged with people not standing for a national anthem. What a f#$ked up society.

Huckabee and the christian right suck up to child molesters like its going out of style, since at least they're not in a gay marriage, you know, because Jesus

OA412

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:14 pm

mham001 wrote:
umm, I spent a childhood growing up in black neighborhoods in the US. I can also read FBI statistics. What do you have?

The fact that in spite of growing up in Black neighborhoods, you're still a White man who doesn't have the slightest idea what it's like to live as a Black man on a day-to-day basis and never will. Neither do I or will I for that matter. So I'll assume the answer to my question is no, you don't see the irony in the situation.

Tugger

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:04 pm

Another football player stepped into the mix, this time Seattle's Doug Baldwin, but with what I think was a good solid response:
"As an American, a black male in this country, I'm suggesting, calling -- I'm demanding that all 50 state attorney generals call for a review of their policies and training policies for police and law enforcement to eliminate militaristic cultures while putting a higher emphasis on de-escalation tactics and crisis management measures," Baldwin said.
[...]
"There should not be an inherent risk when you have an encounter with law enforcement," Baldwin said. "There should not be a concern or worry that the law enforcement is not there to protect you. And I think we're raising a culture or society right now that is questioning that very sentiment."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seaha ... -policies/

Tugg
Last edited by Tugger on Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:21 pm

Seems like the goal was to get this to children...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1762 ... am-protest

Hillis

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:40 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Seems like the goal was to get this to children...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1762 ... am-protest

Seems like the goal is to point out that even in 2016, African-Americans are treated differently than white Americans. That is the point. You've listened to too many Trump conspiracy theories.

ltbewr

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:45 am

While I understand the anger, that persons of Color no longer will be silent as to the daily racism they face, what was first a knee in protest during the National Anthem, now some college and High School football players are doing the 'Black Power' salute and actually laying down on the field during the National Anthem.

Kapernick spoke to an Oakland, CA High School football team today, one that is mainly Black and Hispanic/Latino players, before they went to the field,. If I were the coach of those teams, I would have not allowed Kapernick to speak to the team and those players, even if the stars, who laid down or gave a 'Black Power' salute would be sent to the locker room and not play in the game. Sure I bet the ACLU would sue the coach and school on 'free speech' grounds, but public school students on school functions or on property have limited free speech rights as the Supreme Court has supported in recent years. The Black Power salute has historical connections to violent groups of Black persons in the late 1960's and into the early 1980's, with a few murdering police officers (like happened on I-80 in NJ). To many White people, it is as offensive as a Nazi salute. As I noted before, these protests are counterproductive in the long run, distract from the job of the players, may trigger more hate by White people. Perhaps the media should ignore such protests, not give TV or internet time to them, and just focus on the game.

Hillis

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:03 am

ltbewr wrote:
While I understand the anger, that persons of Color no longer will be silent as to the daily racism they face, what was first a knee in protest during the National Anthem, now some college and High School football players are doing the 'Black Power' salute and actually laying down on the field during the National Anthem.

Kapernick spoke to an Oakland, CA High School football team today, one that is mainly Black and Hispanic/Latino players, before they went to the field,. If I were the coach of those teams, I would have not allowed Kapernick to speak to the team and those players, even if the stars, who laid down or gave a 'Black Power' salute would be sent to the locker room and not play in the game. Sure I bet the ACLU would sue the coach and school on 'free speech' grounds, but public school students on school functions or on property have limited free speech rights as the Supreme Court has supported in recent years. The Black Power salute has historical connections to violent groups of Black persons in the late 1960's and into the early 1980's, with a few murdering police officers (like happened on I-80 in NJ). To many White people, it is as offensive as a Nazi salute. As I noted before, these protests are counterproductive in the long run, distract from the job of the players, may trigger more hate by White people. Perhaps the media should ignore such protests, not give TV or internet time to them, and just focus on the game.

I don't think you do understand the anger, respectfully. Those young men Kaepernick addressed yesterday, could very well find themselves the vicitom of a law enforcement that instinctively treats them differently from whites. Again, take the incident in Tulsa the other day, and the one in Michigan a few years ago I mentioned. The cops in Tulsa immediately went to guns; the ones in Michgan pulled out tasers. The cops in Tulsa were screaming at the guy; the cops in Michagan were holding a conversation with the white guy holding an AR-15. The cops in Tulsa were aggressive from the beginning; the ones in Michigan were cautious and quite passive.

The problem is institutional racism. My daugther made a comment tonight that made sense, and I agree with it. She said that she doesn't believe that most of the officers who are involved in these very questionalble shootings wake up every day and say "How can I kill a black person today?" Most are probably not racists at all. But when in the line of duty, it's quite obvious that people with caucasian skin are given a benefit of the doubt far more often than not than people of color. It's been drilled into their heads to treat a black or a hispanic as a threat first, and a human being second, while that is not the case for whites. And I still say it's because that for 400 years, law enforcement has only been around to protect whites from people of color. So it's like a genetic trait passed down in police forces, where the black man and other people of color are automatically viewed as a threat.

And they're sick and tired of it. And they should be. And instead of telling people like Kapernick to shut up, we need a national conversation where all sides are willing to come to terms with this problem. It isn't a new problem. But it is one to be solved, and it won't be solved by telling those who are protesting to be silent.

PacificBeach88
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:13 am

ltbewr wrote:
While I understand the anger, that persons of Color no longer will be silent ....

No, I don't think you do. So many of white people have whined they don't like anyone protesting, anywhere, ever, that might sightly inconvenience them. Don't march downtown. Don't block traffic. Don't take a knee and be silent during the national anthem. Don't march too late at night. Don't use the "black power" salute. Don't march with open carry arms. Etc, etc, etc......... It's real easy as you sit back in your Lazy Boy and lecture to others feeling marginalized, targeted, and hunted even, how, when, why, and where they should be doing their protests. After all, you have a game to watch and can't be arsed to care about this stuff. After all, you need to watch a 3 hour game w/ 90 minutes of Dorito, beer, and car insurance commercials to watch.

DIRECTFLT

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:48 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
So many of white people have whined they don't like anyone protesting, anywhere, ever, that might sightly inconvenience them.

As far as I know, there have not been any protests, or folks busing in to march, over the 6 dead, and 15 wounded by gunshots, in Chicago, since Friday. That story hasn't managed to squeeze out the wall-to-wall coverage over 1 death of a felon in NC.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

Hillis

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:03 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
PacificBeach88 wrote:
So many of white people have whined they don't like anyone protesting, anywhere, ever, that might sightly inconvenience them.

As far as I know, there have not been any protests, or folks busing in to march, over the 6 dead, and 15 wounded by gunshots, in Chicago, since Friday. That story hasn't managed to squeeze out the wall-to-wall coverage over 1 death of a felon in NC.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

That's your justification to support in his killing? That he was a "felon"? Since when does that carry a death sentence? Apparently it does for black people. Apparently you and I don't have to worry too much about that, being white and all.

PacificBeach88
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:33 am

Hillis wrote:
That's your justification to support in his killing? That he was a "felon"? Since when does that carry a death sentence? Apparently it does for black people. Apparently you and I don't have to worry too much about that, being white and all.

The usual race baiting deniers demand that all black and minorities protest exactly as they demand, and anything else is just nonsense. See, first they use the b.s. nonsense that "they don't understand", then when pinned down they start screaming minorities need to do A., B., and C. BEFORE they can protest. See minorities can't use black power signs, until they show up and protest a gang-banger shooting in some random shooting first. These same deniers were around in the civil rights era of 1965, as they are now. Next they will start posting they aren't racist themselves because they have a couple of African American friends they work with down at the Archie Bunker plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkWjrsx9cXg

MaverickM11

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:07 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
Hillis wrote:

The usual race baiting deniers demand that all black and minorities protest exactly as they demand, and anything else is just nonsense. See, first they use the b.s. nonsense that "they don't understand", then when pinned down they start screaming minorities need to do A., B., and C. BEFORE they can protest. See minorities can't use black power signs, until they show up and protest a gang-banger shooting in some random shooting first. These same deniers were around in the civil rights era of 1965, as they are now. Next they will start posting they aren't racist themselves because they have a couple of African American friends they work with down at the Archie Bunker plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkWjrsx9cXg

He needs to violently take over a bird sanctuary, like real white welfare queen patriots, and then Sean Hannity and that Blaze skank will genuflect in front of him

PacificBeach88
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:19 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
He needs to violently take over a bird sanctuary, like real white welfare queen patriots, and then Sean Hannity and that Blaze skank will genuflect in front of him

Ain't that the true. If you're white, armed to the teeth, invade property that isn't yours, do millions of $$$ worth of damage, deface it, and threaten the police you're called a "patriot". If you're black, your car has broken down in the road, you're unarmed, your hands are up, you're a drug fueled "thug". And god forbid your jr. high and high school "permanent records" get leaked to the media. Every detention you ever had at age 16 will be brought up.

I'm curious to see how many will take a knee today at kickoffs.