Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PacificBeach88
Topic Author

Colin Kaepernick Sitting For US National Anthem

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:20 am

I know we have hit on the topic here and there in various threads, but I thought it might be better if we grouped our opinions into one thread. What do you think about this?

Personally, I feel that Colin Kaepernick is utilizing his First Amendment rights to bring to the surface race and treatment in the country. You may not agree, and that is fine, but no one is stopping you from taking your pistol with you to the Walmart. I get tired of the right wing nut jobs of the USA consistently scream about their "2nd Amendment Rights" all the while ignoring the other 26 Amendments.

It's real easy for so many of the sperm burping CEO salary apologists on this forum to suddenly bark like seals over Colin Kaepernick's salary and public behavior, as now somehow being egregious all the while they've immortalized their various CEOs who's stock is down -17% or -23% while their pay has soared, in recent history.

I think it's also easy to whine and bi**h about Colin Kaepernick not doing enough in your own private/unknown/hidden scoreboard and journal of philanthropy. I mean after all....what have YOU given?

In the end, it's all about Colin Kaepernick using his Constitutional Rights to bring attention to something he apparently feels very deeply and sincerely about, otherwise why would he ruin his multi-million $$$ endorsements for. I for one, love to see him standing up for his beliefs.

Sadly, I feel he will end up like the Dixie Chicks who were mildly critical of GW Bush, and had their careers ruined for it, simply because they told the truth. Had they told it 2 or 3 years later, the news media and "Murica F**** Yeah crowd might have been ready. Sad, but true.

DocLightning

Re: Colin Kaepernick Sitting For US National Anthem

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:36 am

He has the legal right to sit for the national anthem. Other people have the legal right to support him or to call him nasty names.

seb146

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:44 am

The comment I have liked best about this is that he should have stood because it is probably the only time this season he will get off the bench.

There are far more effective ways of protesting that make a much bigger positive impact. Mexico City 1968 Olympics comes to mind.

cpd

Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:02 am

I'll bet there are people who are extremely critical of his actions who don't stand with the Anthem is playing on a TV broadcast of a sporting event. They probably remain seated in their reclined armchair with the remote control in one hand and a beer can/bottle in the other.

WarRI1

Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:09 am

cpd wrote:
I'll bet there are people who are extremely critical of his actions who don't stand with the Anthem is playing on a TV broadcast of a sporting event. They probably remain seated in their reclined armchair with the remote control in one hand and a beer can/bottle in the other.

That would be ridiculous to stand in the privacy of your own home. This is a custom at public events to show respect. Once again, we are a free nation. This rich athlete wants to make a statement, it is his right. I do not agree with him, but it is his right to protest and as Doc said, it is our right to disagree.

HGL

Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:13 am

To be honest, I'd be more offended by some of the so-called singers who appear to go out of their way to mangle the anthem. They all claim it is their "interpretation" yet trying to make an anthem sound like someone stepped on the cat is hardly a sign of respect. LOL

Osubuckeyes

Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:28 am

I think there's a decent possibility he's doing this to get traded. He has already said I'm the past he wants out... Doing something controversial is and easy way to disrupt a locker room/get traded. The Niners are very much a shutup and play type of team from ownership on down... One of the big reasons Harbough left.

BMI727

Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:36 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
What do you think about this?

He's well within his rights. If he wants to do the Randy Moss mooning during the anthem I don't care.

Jetsgo

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:35 am

As a life long 49er fan, this just irritates me. Not because he's rightfully standing up for what he believes in, but because he just sucks way too much to be this politically polarizing. Perhaps he'll pickup the playbook and learn a thing or two while sitting out the National Anthem... or try to figure out what's changed since his Nevada days. Better yet, maybe this will push the 49ers to cut their losses and let this grossly underperforming QB go.

salttee

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:09 am

His protest comes off as weak and hypocritical to me. Why didn't he do this back when he was hot? The message now comes across as muddled simply because as Osubuckeyes points out, the appearances are that he's doing this for selfish personal reasons.

Then there is his muddled complaint against as he says: "a country that oppresses black people and people of color".
As I see it, that's an awfully broad brush he's painting with and it's far off the mark in any case. In the mid 19th century the United States reversed many thousands years of human history when it became the first powerful and influential nation to actually free slaves and make slaveholding illegal. So his "a country" seems far off the mark to me. This "country" has made huge strides in achieving social justice in my lifetime and gives all appearances of continuing to do so, we currently have a popularly elected president who is a "black person" for pete's sake! Even in the absence of the current president, the national government of "this country" has long been a driver of racial equality, even among "black people" and "people of color" (if those are separate categories to Mr. Kaepernick)

But nobody, including me claims that we are in any kind of state of perfection when it comes to equal opportunity or equal justice in all cases, but where we are living in the US at this time is a contender for the best that there ever was in human experience.

Yet racism continues to exist, we all or most of us, know that. It would have been better for Mr, Kaepernick to have focused his protest against racism, rather than "this country".

For a poor ass black man without a HS education living in Brooklin, the west side of Chicago or San Francisco's tenderloin to have made the same complaint as Kaepernick strikes me as completely forgivable and understandable; but for a college educated multi millionaire such as Colin Kaepernick to throw such a vague and misdirected complaint in such a grandstanding fashion strikes a sour note with me.

And bottom line, I don't think he's contributing to the solution. I see Colin Kaepernick's attitude as part of the problem.

Tugger

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:13 am

What the heck is wrong with people? So he doesn't stand during the national anthem, why does it REALLY matter in any REAL way? Who... cares...? Why...?

I don't stand sometimes because I just got my food or beer, or because I am doing something else at that moment. I also don't put my hand over my heart (ever), I also sometimes don't take off my hat. And none of that makes me a better or worse person in this nation or world.

And in a related issue, I NEVER say "under god" in the pledge of allegiance (because in no way is the USA "under" God, it is "under" people).

So why is this any kind of an issue that takes up anyone's time in a day? It is meaningless and does nothing to anyone and certain has no effect on the nation and the people that live here.

Seriously. Seriously?

Tugg

vikkyvik

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:51 am

DocLightning wrote:
He has the legal right to sit for the national anthem. Other people have the legal right to support him or to call him nasty names.

That basically sums it up.

If people want to get outraged over it, well, that's fine. Personally I think any outrage over this is not particularly helpful.

Then again, I don't think his "protest" is particularly helpful either.

Tugger wrote:
And in a related issue, I NEVER say "under god" in the pledge of allegiance

Same here. Though for me, it's simply because I don't believe in god.

scbriml

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:16 am

We had a similar thing here when Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn declined to sing the national anthem at a Battle of Britain remembrance ceremony at St Paul's. He was very heavily criticised and it has since been announce that he will sing the anthem at future events. Which, of course, leaves him open to being called a hypocrite. While I'm certainly no royalist, as a senior politician attending an event in an official role he ought to be more mindful of the image he's projecting.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... eader.html

I think Kaepernick's situation was very different to Corbyn's.

I'm an atheist, but when attending family weddings/christenings/funerals, will behave respectfully and stand when required while not joining in with prayers or blessings.

HGL

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:29 am

scbriml wrote:
... it has since been announce that he will sing the anthem at future events.

Have people actually heard Corbyn sing? They might yet come to regret it. Mind you, it wouldn't be too bad if the UK actually had a national anthem rather than a royal hymn. It's just as well that the sixth stanza is no longer sung.

"Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!"

Although with the recent referendum and current opposition to Brexit remaining strong in Scotland, that verse may yet gain currency. ;)

DDR

Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:44 pm

He has the right to express his beliefs. He did nothing illegal. The USA makes way too much of a big deal over the flag and anthem anyway. In most countries across the world, it just isn't that big of a deal. When I went to school in Switzerland, not a single classroom had a Swiss flag in it the room. I actually don't remember seeing a Swiss flag anywhere at the school, but I may be wrong. It was a long time ago.

Aaron747

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:00 pm

DDR wrote:
He has the right to express his beliefs. He did nothing illegal. The USA makes way too much of a big deal over the flag and anthem anyway. In most countries across the world, it just isn't that big of a deal. When I went to school in Switzerland, not a single classroom had a Swiss flag in it the room. I actually don't remember seeing a Swiss flag anywhere at the school, but I may be wrong. It was a long time ago.

Agreed - hypervigilant patriotism is completely illogical emotional nonsense.

Boeing717200

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:19 pm

Osubuckeyes wrote:
I think there's a decent possibility he's doing this to get traded. He has already said I'm the past he wants out... Doing something controversial is and easy way to disrupt a locker room/get traded. The Niners are very much a shutup and play type of team from ownership on down... One of the big reasons Harbough left.

This is it right here. Dude hasn't done squat since he got picked off in the Championship game against Seattle in 2014.

http://www.nfl.com/player/colinkaeperni ... areerstats

QB version of a kicker. Head case.

I also find his actions a bit disingenuous given his life story.
Last edited by Boeing717200 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:22 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Agreed - hypervigilant patriotism is completely illogical emotional nonsense.

This is concerning and quite dangerous. There's always the need to fly one more flag than your neighbor: otherwise you're not patriotic enough. Back home, we never pledged allegiance to the US flag and we didn't put our hands over our chest for the US anthem (and always questioned the need to do so for ALL anthems).

fr8mech

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:33 pm

He has the right not to stand, should he choose to not stand. I have the right to criticize him for not standing, should I choose to do so. The NFL has every right to sanction him, if they choose to do so. The 49'ers have every right to sanction him, should they choose to. His fans, such as they are, have every right to show their displeasure with him, within the bounds of the law, should they choose to.

Anyone see a common thread in my post?

As long as he, and the others that care to react, are willing to accept the consequences, I see no problem. In fact, I see a system that works the way it's supposed to.

PacificBeach88 wrote:
Sadly, I feel he will end up like the Dixie Chicks who were mildly critical of GW Bush, and had their careers ruined for it, simply because they told the truth.

They screwed up because they didn't understand their core fan base. They felt their fan's love of their music (the Dixie Chick's) would trump the over-whelming patriotism that the listeners of country music exhibit. They were wrong.

seb146

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:39 pm

fr8mech"[quote="PacificBeach88 wrote:
Sadly, I feel he will end up like the Dixie Chicks who were mildly critical of GW Bush, and had their careers ruined for it, simply because they told the truth.

They screwed up because they didn't understand their core fan base. They felt their fan's love of their music (the Dixie Chick's) would trump the over-whelming patriotism that the listeners of country music exhibit. They were wrong.[/quote]

They would have lost some fans, that is true. But, the media and right wingers were so outraged that anyone dare speak out against Bush and the occupation that really cost them. It is the same thing when George Cloony or Leo DiCaprio or Bette Middler speak their opinions against the Republican party. They are "liberal Hollywood elites who need to shut up" but when Jon Voigt or Dennis Miller speak their opinions, they are patriots and exercising their First Amendment rights.

DfwRevolution

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Osubuckeyes wrote:

This deserves to be highlighted again.

As soon as the 49ers signed Christian Ponder, it looked likely that Kaepernick was going to be cut before the start of the season. You can't help but wonder if this is a PR move. If he gets cut, now he's a martyr for sticking to his beliefs rather than a has-been QB whose time in the Not For Long league has come to an end.

Obviously, we can't preclude that it is a genuine statement, but the timing is suspect.

fr8mech

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:17 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
Obviously, we can't preclude that it is a genuine statement, but the timing is suspect.

You know, the cynic in me says the same thing.

If he gets released now, he's a martyr. Hell, the BLM folks may even decide to protest the 49'ers or the NFL as a whole.

ER757

Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 pm

I for one, love to see him standing up for his beliefs.
I see what you did there - clever :P

coolian2

Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:17 am

He's been on this for a while. Good for him, and eff the people who complain.

coolian2

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:11 am

Haha, this is quality:

Trumpettes: MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
Kaepernick: America isn't great right now
Trumpettes: GET OUT OF THIS COUNTRY NOW

http://deadspin.com/donald-trump-on-col ... 1785910423

Which Trump supporter would like to explain their cognitive dissonance first?

mham001

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:30 am

A moral stand by a guy caught doing his buddy's girlfriend.

He has every right to do it. And others have every right to give their opinions. I was taught early on - never mix business with politics, it is always inadvisable to risk alienating chunks of your customer base.

I am getting tired of hearing about how I am "oppressing" of the black man however. Their fate at the hands of police correlates directly with their rates of participation in violent crime. It is unfortunate that other blacks sometimes get caught in the middle of that but let's look at the current social experiment in Chicago for clues on what happens when police lower their guard. It would be interesting to ask the hundreds of innocent Chicago casualties (this year) which they'd prefer.

seb146

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:54 am

mham001 wrote:
A moral stand by a guy caught doing his buddy's girlfriend.

He has every right to do it. And others have every right to give their opinions. I was taught early on - never mix business with politics, it is always inadvisable to risk alienating chunks of your customer base.

I am getting tired of hearing about how I am "oppressing" of the black man however. Their fate at the hands of police correlates directly with their rates of participation in violent crime. It is unfortunate that other blacks sometimes get caught in the middle of that but let's look at the current social experiment in Chicago for clues on what happens when police lower their guard. It would be interesting to ask the hundreds of innocent Chicago casualties (this year) which they'd prefer.

This actually is one part of the equation, if you think about it. This "us vs. them" and "all X are Y" that some sectors of the media promotes is actually causing people to think "yes, I am better than them" and "all lives matter." People have come to see burqa and hijab as signs of terrorism. Likewise, a picture of a black man holding his hands a certain way, the automatic reaction is: gang member.

Look at the picture of Trayvon Martin the media pushed after he was murdered. Not in his Sunday best, but looking like a wanna be gang banger.

All lives matter, but apparetly some matter more than others.

Aaron747

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:59 am

Boeing717200 wrote:

I also find his actions a bit disingenuous given his life story.

Quite a staggering red herring. His life story is possible in any number of developed countries, from New Zealand to the UK to Germany and beyond. Success from early adversity is not unique to the American experience. Never mind that if he's genuine, he's well aware that his wealth is sociopolitical currency.

ltbewr

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:23 am

Almost always when the US National Anthem is sung, almost only the first set of lyrics are done. The Star Spangled Banner, the common name for the song was as to a battle of Ft. McHenry in Baltimore, MD that the USA won in the commonly called War of 1812 (actually from 1812-1814) as the UK wanted to take back the USA from the rebels. The third set of lyrics make a point of the use of the British of slaves and free black men to fight for them, with offers of freedom from slavery and survivors and if possible families relocation to what was then UK controlled Canada, mainly in Nova Scotia. Slavery was in almost all of the USA and territories and so that part of the 3rd lyric is very offensive to Black Americans for obvious reasons. That may be one reason Kaepernick chose to not stand.
There is no doubt after generations of discriminatory and violent treatment of Black Americans the latest generation wants an end. This has been further aggravated by a number of well publicized deaths of unarmed Black men when in or attempts to put them under police custody. Mr. K has chose to be outspoken when at his public workplace, offending many Americans, especially White Americans, as well as likely hurting the important causes of Black persons.

mham001

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:48 am

Aaron747 wrote:

Quite a staggering red herring. His life story is possible in any number of developed countries, from New Zealand to the UK to Germany and beyond. Success from early adversity is not unique to the American experience.

What adversity? He's half white, adopted by a white family at birth.

seb146

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:23 am

mham001 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Quite a staggering red herring. His life story is possible in any number of developed countries, from New Zealand to the UK to Germany and beyond. Success from early adversity is not unique to the American experience.

Obama is half white, too. And he put himself through law school. Why can't certain sectors of American society crow about that?

Aaron747

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:52 am

mham001 wrote:

Oops, forgive me - so easy to forget that knowing one's birth mother gave them up has no impact on a person!

mham001

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:14 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Oops, forgive me - so easy to forget that knowing one's birth mother gave them up has no impact on a person!

If you're going to call growing living with so-called "white privilege" adverse because he was adopted, you are truly weak. I know I can beat that "adversity" 100-fold. Half the children of world would die for that childhood, even if it was Turlock.

Aaron747

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:45 am

mham001 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

If you're going to call growing living with so-called "white privilege" adverse because he was adopted, you are truly weak. I know I can beat that "adversity" 100-fold. Half the children of world would die for that childhood, even if it was Turlock.

That wasn't the statement at all. Come on now, non sequiturs are only cool when the intent is humor.

In any case, my original point is that rabid patriotism is silly and illogical.

https://www.facebook.com/TheOther98/pos ... 99684777:0

drew777

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:55 am

Kaepernick doesn't even look black. I thought he was Latino until he started pulling the race card to excuse his poor play. Something about reporters are more critical of his poor performances due to being a black quarterback. It won't be an issue for him next year though.. they don't play the U.S. anthem at CFL games!

coolian2

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:18 am

drew777 wrote:
Kaepernick doesn't even look black. I thought he was Latino until he started pulling the race card to excuse his poor play. Something about reporters are more critical of his poor performances due to being a black quarterback. It won't be an issue for him next year though.. they don't play the U.S. anthem at CFL games!

He doesn't look black enough to be black?

What kind of weak ass post is this?

Aaron747

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:04 am

drew777 wrote:

More emotionally-loaded drivel. And meaningless since his background has been widely-reported and easily accessible to anyone with a Google search bar...

drew777

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:47 am

coolian2 wrote:
He doesn't look black enough to be black?

What kind of weak ass post is this?

I didn't say he isn't black. I said I didn't realize he was black until he started making press conferences about it.

The whole thing seems disingenuous to me. What does he know about being black in the rural south? What does he know about inner city despair? This whole thing reeks of misplaced white guilt.

If he doesn't want to stand for the Anthem, that's his right. It makes him look like a douche and I damn sure don't see how it will help the BLM cause.

coolian2

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:54 am

drew777 wrote:
The whole thing seems disingenuous to me. What does he know about being black in the rural south? What does he know about inner city despair? This whole thing reeks of misplaced white guilt.

Have you heard of empathy?

There's no harm in seeing something that isn't right, even from a more privileged position, and think it could be better.

drew777

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:55 am

Aaron747 wrote:

More emotionally-loaded drivel. And meaningless since his background has been widely-reported and easily accessible to anyone with a Google search bar...

You're right, I never took the time to Google "what race is Colin Kaepernick" because I didn't care. He was just a quarterback for a team I don't regularly watch. I could have went his whole career judging him solely on the few performances I see on TV. He has made his race an issue, not me. He's always a victim of his race. It really seems to be holding him back, right?

Aaron747

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:15 am

drew777 wrote:
You're right, I never took the time to Google "what race is Colin Kaepernick" because I didn't care. He was just a quarterback for a team I don't regularly watch. I could have went his whole career judging him solely on the few performances I see on TV. He has made his race an issue, not me. He's always a victim of his race. It really seems to be holding him back, right?

And still more loaded twaddle serving some illogical and misanthropic comfort...either it's time for a comprehension check, or a Xanax.

drew777

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:28 am

Aaron747 wrote:

And still more loaded twaddle serving some illogical and misanthropic comfort...either it's time for a comprehension check, or a Xanax.

Nothing to add to but insults huh?

blacksoviet

Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:33 am

Kaepernick is a racist who hates White people. Police have a right to defend themselves against violent criminals. It is the Zionist controlled TV media which incites hatred towards Whites within the Black community.

The Zionist media doesn't mention the fact that Kaepernick was adopted and raised by White people. White people gave him everything he has. White people paid for his education and supported him in every way. His Black father abandoned him. Kaepernick will eventually inherit money from his White parents.

Kaepernick and other people have been brainwashed by the media to blame White people for the fact that Black people have lower average income. The reason Black people have lower average income is because of their criminality which lands so many of them in jail along with the fact that many of the women rely on welfare. Those who do work tend to take lower paying jobs. This is a result of lower education levels. Blacks in America are much better off than Blacks in the Caribbean or Africa.

There is war going on against White people and this is why David Duke needs to be elected to the United States Senate. The Zionist Jews want to exterminate the White race. Communism, Bolshevism and Marxism were all Jewish movements.
Last edited by blacksoviet on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adipasquale

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:24 am

fr8mech wrote:
The NFL has every right to sanction him, if they choose to do so. The 49'ers have every right to sanction him, should they choose to.

The NFL and 49ers actually cannot sanction Kaepernick for his refusal to stand for the national anthem. The CBA does not require players to stand for the national anthem, and therefore Kaepernick cannot be punished for refusing to do so. Now if the 49ers decide to cut Kaepernick, they certainly could, but there are no other ways the NFL or 49ers organization could punish him.

As for the protest itself, I don't really have any feelings on it, one way or the other. I watch sports to watch sports, not hear athletes' and coaches' political opinions. Rex Ryan, the head coach of my favorite team spoke at a Donald Trump rally in Buffalo. I personally don't care for Trump, but Ryan's stumping for Trump won't make me dislike him.

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:30 pm

coolian2 wrote:
drew777 wrote:

There's no harm in seeing something that isn't right, even from a more privileged position, and think it could be better.

LOL empathy??? These are the same people that look for all the reasons rape/assault victims "asked for it", or how black people retroactively deserved to be shot by the police (he stole a candy bar 10 years ago!)... The right does not do empathy, just like Jesus would do!

coolian2

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:45 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
drew777 wrote:

LOL empathy??? These are the same people that look for all the reasons rape/assault victims "asked for it", or how black people retroactively deserved to be shot by the police (he stole a candy bar 10 years ago!)... The right does not do empathy, just like Jesus would do!

Yes, I couldn't help but notice he failed to reply to me.

Hillis

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:38 pm

Patriotism cannot be compelled. Loyalty cannot be legislated. Not loving ones' country cannot be prosecuted. That's the bottom line. I may not agree with his way of protesting, but The Constitution grants him that liberty. I may not agree with people who are cursing at him, or burning his jersey doing so, but the Constitution grants them that liberty.

Of course, the meme's are up everywhere, showing Kapernick in one photo and a U;S. serviceman or woman in one next to it, talking about how those men and women fought and died for this nation. But the point they miss is they didn't fight and die so that patriotism or loyalty could be compelled. We fought against that in World War II against Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan; we "fought" a Cold War for 50 years against a Soviet Union that practiced that. They fought and died so that we have the right to peacefully protest our government, and to criticize our nation if we feel it's in the wrong. That's the point they miss.

Osubuckeyes wrote:

I don't think he's doing that at all. I think he's doing it because he, like many of us, from all walks of life, are getting tired of seeing African-Americans, Hispanics, woman, Muslims and LGBTQ's being treated like garbage by the white male establishment in the U.S. The Establishment is scared, because its power is beginning to wane in this nation, and they're going to go down swinging in trying to keep the power exclusively in their hands for as long as they can.

Jetsgo wrote:
As a life long 49er fan, this just irritates me. Not because he's rightfully standing up for what he believes in, but because he just sucks way too much to be this politically polarizing. Perhaps he'll pickup the playbook and learn a thing or two while sitting out the National Anthem... or try to figure out what's changed since his Nevada days. Better yet, maybe this will push the 49ers to cut their losses and let this grossly underperforming QB go.

Oh, so he's only allowed to speak his mind or show his conscience if he plays well enough for your tastes? You've gotta be kidding me. EVERY American has the right, indeed the duty, to oppose their government and nation if they think it is wrong in some way. You have that right ,and I have that right. So does Colin Kapernick; so does Mike Trout; so does Tom Brady; so does LeBron James. It doesn't matter if they're known or not, or if they're a superstar or not, that right is bequeathed to us in the Constitution.

drew777 wrote:

Oh, so now his protest is meaningless because he's not "black" enough for you? Why should that matter anyway. As a white man, I'm appalled that in 2016 we STILL treat minorities, and women, and LGBT's, like 2nd class citizens in this nation. I don't agree with the way he is protesting this real issue, but I won't criticize him for protesting -because he's spot on.

Sounds like the Birthers who are still saying Obama isn't "American" enough.

910A

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:38 pm

Jackie Robinson, a Hall of Famer wrote this in this book.
There I was, the black grandson of a slave, the son of a black sharecropper, part of a historic occasion, a symbolic hero to my people. The air was sparkling. The sunlight was warm. The band struck up the national anthem. The flag billowed in the wind. It should have been a glorious moment for me as the stirring words of the national anthem poured from the stands. Perhaps, it was, but then again, perhaps, the anthem could be called the theme song for a drama called The Noble Experiment. Today, as I look back on that opening game of my first world series, I must tell you that it was Mr. Rickey’s drama and that I was only a principal actor. As I write this twenty years later, I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag; I know that I am a black man in a white world. In 1972, in 1947, at my birth in 1919, I know that I never had it made.

Personally it's time to end this playing of the National Anthem, being played before games that mean nothing. If the leagues want to play it before special events like the Super Bowl and the World Series game, fine but a pre-season game..on a side note, baseball needs to rid itself on playing God Bless America on Sundays. Remove your hats and stand up for God Bless America, under what rule that does removing your hats for this song come from?

blacksoviet

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Hillis wrote:
Patriotism cannot be compelled. Loyalty cannot be legislated. Not loving ones' country cannot be prosecuted. That's the bottom line. I may not agree with his way of protesting, but The Constitution grants him that liberty. I may not agree with people who are cursing at him, or burning his jersey doing so, but the Constitution grants them that liberty.

Of course, the meme's are up everywhere, showing Kapernick in one photo and a U;S. serviceman or woman in one next to it, talking about how those men and women fought and died for this nation. But the point they miss is they didn't fight and die so that patriotism or loyalty could be compelled. We fought against that in World War II against Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan; we "fought" a Cold War for 50 years against a Soviet Union that practiced that. They fought and died so that we have the right to peacefully protest our government, and to criticize our nation if we feel it's in the wrong. That's the point they miss.

Osubuckeyes wrote:

I don't think he's doing that at all. I think he's doing it because he, like many of us, from all walks of life, are getting tired of seeing African-Americans, Hispanics, woman, Muslims and LGBTQ's being treated like garbage by the white male establishment in the U.S. The Establishment is scared, because its power is beginning to wane in this nation, and they're going to go down swinging in trying to keep the power exclusively in their hands for as long as they can.

Jetsgo wrote:

Oh, so he's only allowed to speak his mind or show his conscience if he plays well enough for your tastes? You've gotta be kidding me. EVERY American has the right, indeed the duty, to oppose their government and nation if they think it is wrong in some way. You have that right ,and I have that right. So does Colin Kapernick; so does Mike Trout; so does Tom Brady; so does LeBron James. It doesn't matter if they're known or not, or if they're a superstar or not, that right is bequeathed to us in the Constitution.

drew777 wrote:

Oh, so now his protest is meaningless because he's not "black" enough for you? Why should that matter anyway. As a white man, I'm appalled that in 2016 we STILL treat minorities, and women, and LGBT's, like 2nd class citizens in this nation. I don't agree with the way he is protesting this real issue, but I won't criticize him for protesting -because he's spot on.

Sounds like the Birthers who are still saying Obama isn't "American" enough.

Are you kidding me? Blacks and women are not treated as second class citizens in America. The USA is not an apartheid state like Israel. That is absurd. Blacks have equal rights and the same opportunities as Whites. Name one country where Blacks are better off than in America. What White male establishment are you talking about? Congress is not controlled by Whites. Congress is controlled by Pro-Israeli American Jews. Obviously you have never heard of AIPAC, AEI, ADL or the Brookings Institute.
Last edited by blacksoviet on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

910A

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:58 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Name one country where Blacks are better off than in America.

Canada, next question.