GrahamHill
Topic Author

F1 2016: Italian GP

Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:49 pm

No time to rest as the Italian GP is already around the corner! And we just learned that Felipe Massa will retire at the end of the season. Here is his column: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/felip ... -1-813646/

This will leave a seat free for next year. An opportunity for Jenson Button, perharps?
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

TheFlyingDisk

Re: F1 2016: Italian GP

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:14 am

Why would Jenson go to Williams? So that he can end his career the way he started?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

photopilot

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:53 am

I just hope the Tifosi have something to cheer for.

scbriml

Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:00 am

photopilot wrote:
I just hope the Tifosi have something to cheer for.

They will if they're happy with 5th and 6th! Even then, the Williams might be fighting for those spots as well. :lol:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

QF29

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:06 am

Riccardo has been 2nd for the past 2 races, time for a win!!
A318/19/20/21, 330-2/3, 345, 380, B737-4/6/7/8 B763 B743/4 B777-2/3 B787-8, Q-400

mad99

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:07 am

Why would they pick Jenson. He's a number two driver at best. I hope they go for some fresh talent like RB do.

zkojq

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:37 am

Shame that Massa is retiring without a WDC. Hopefully his kid will be lined up on the grid in a decade or so. :)

GrahamHill wrote:
This will leave a seat free for next year. An opportunity for Jenson Button, perharps?

Although I like Jenson, I feel that if he's not going to be in a competitive (or potentially competitive) team next year, he should retire - just like Felipe. Sadly there's no way that Williams are going to be competitive next year so its not like Jenson is going to have an opportunity to fight for a title. Essentially he would just be occupying a seat that some new talent might otherwise have a shot at. McLaren might be competitive at the top next year, but it doesn't look like Jenson's going to be able to keep his seat there. It would be kinda cool if he came full circle with Williams though - given that's where he first raced in F1.

Riccardo has been 2nd for the past 2 races, time for a win!!

His own performance has been pretty flawless this season, other than a loss to Felipinho. :D
First to fly the 787-9

GrahamHill
Topic Author

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:53 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Why would Jenson go to Williams? So that he can end his career the way he started?

Apparently Williams could use his services. And Jenson would loop the loop, in a way.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/20 ... -ahead-of/

zkojq wrote:
Shame that Massa is retiring without a WDC. Hopefully his kid will be lined up on the grid in a decade or so.

He could try his luck in WEC, like Weber did!

zkojq wrote:
Sadly there's no way that Williams are going to be competitive next year so its not like Jenson is going to have an opportunity to fight for a title. Essentially he would just be occupying a seat that some new talent might otherwise have a shot at.

Yes I agree totally. I'm not saying it's a reasonable choice for both parties.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

scbriml

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:08 pm

Verstappen has been called to the headmaster's study for a 'discussion' about his driving style.

If he's like all the teenagers I've ever known, he'll take zero notice, believing he knows best. :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37258313
Max Verstappen has been given a "gentle warning" about his driving in the wake of his controversial behaviour in the Belgian Grand Prix.

FIA F1 director Charlie Whiting called in Verstappen for a discussion on Friday ahead of the Italian Grand Prix.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said Whiting had told Verstappen he risked disqualification.

"Charlie was keen to show him a video of Spa. It was a gentle warning," Horner said.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

wolbo

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:59 pm

Not a very interesting race but it does make the championship more interesting. Very poor starts by Hamilton and Verstappen. I love Monza and its history but that long straight in combination with DRS makes overtaking way too easy. Almost like a leisurely Sunday trip on the motorway, only thing missing is the indicator.

Aesma

Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:00 pm

scbriml wrote:
Verstappen has been called to the headmaster's study for a 'discussion' about his driving style.

If he's like all the teenagers I've ever known, he'll take zero notice, believing he knows best. :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37258313
Max Verstappen has been given a "gentle warning" about his driving in the wake of his controversial behaviour in the Belgian Grand Prix.

FIA F1 director Charlie Whiting called in Verstappen for a discussion on Friday ahead of the Italian Grand Prix.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said Whiting had told Verstappen he risked disqualification.

"Charlie was keen to show him a video of Spa. It was a gentle warning," Horner said.

He says he has always driven like that and that got him where he is now, so he doesn't intend to change his style.

It seems the other drivers don't even want to confront him, maybe because of his popularity.

I agree with you that he won't take notice, but I'm not sure he should, really. Being a nice driver has never gotten anybody anywhere in F1.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

zkojq

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:10 am

Nice singing on the podium by Nicola. He did well to turn that crowd around. :lol:

Two confirmed retirements from this weekend (Button and Massa) and possibly another one for next weekend (Bernie). I'm very pleased that Stoffel got a drive for next year confirmed. It would be outrageous if a driver of his calibre was left out in the cold like KMAG was; one year not driving is quite enough. Now that Haryanto has been replaced with Ocon, it has to be said though that we currently have the best grid that I ever remember; nearly every driver has rightfully earned earned their place on it. From the top of my head, there's only three pay drivers* at the moment.

wolbo wrote:
I love Monza and its history but that long straight in combination with DRS makes overtaking way too easy. Almost like a leisurely Sunday trip on the motorway, only thing missing is the indicator.

Yeah I like the track, but that was incredibly dull. Not sure if next years changes will make it any better or not.

Aesma wrote:
It seems the other drivers don't even want to confront him, maybe because of his popularity.

Good point. The Dutch Verstappen fanboys are just as bad as the British Hamilton ones (albeit mildly less in number). I'm sure other drivers have noticed how Nico always gets booed on the podium, despite how polite and thankful he always is and don't want to receive the same treatment from the Verstappen fans after being in a confrontation with him. Fanboyism and hooliganism is bane of all sports.

Aesma wrote:
Being a nice driver has never gotten anybody anywhere in F1.

Kimi drives cleanly (unless you're Bottas and its in Russia) and he is a Ferrari Champion and probably the most respected driver in F1.
First to fly the 787-9

Aesma

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:50 am

I'm not a Rosberg fan but I don't understand why they're booing him when he barely featured in the race.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:54 am

zkojq wrote:
Shame that Massa is retiring without a WDC. Hopefully his kid will be lined up on the grid in a decade or so. :)

It's already almost impossible to become an F1 driver, you need to be from the right country, have sponsors ready to put millions, start karting at age 3, now you want to add the need to have a father that was in F1 ?

zkojq

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:12 pm

Rosberg is Driver Of The Day.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rosbe ... za-815990/

Aesma wrote:
now you want to add the need to have a father that was in F1 ?

What did I say about the need? I guess the current grid contains the most children of previous F1 drivers: Rosberg, Verstappen, Magnussen and Palmer. There's also Sainz who's day was a rally champion. In my opinion, only one of them doesn't deserve their place on the grid.

Aesma wrote:
I'm not a Rosberg fan but I don't understand why they're booing him when he barely featured in the race.

Also not a Rosberg fan, but his race was flawless so the booing was completely uncalled for. That said, he also drove a flawless race in Australia and, being roughly 50 meters from the podium during the podium ceremony, I found the booing there from British fans quite noticeable.
First to fly the 787-9

Karlos

Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:41 am

zkojq wrote:
Shame that Massa is retiring without a WDC.

On the contrary. Felipe had a WDC for about 37 seconds.... :P