Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260
Topic Author

Looking for big iPhone changes? Wait till next year

Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:19 pm

With the next big Apple event on Wednesday what are we hoping to see from the latest model? According to this article it might not be such a hit!

Looking for big iPhone changes? Wait till next year

If you're looking to be wowed by a new iPhone design, you might have to wait until 2017.

This is supposed to be a year of big changes for the iPhone, but all rumors so far point to minor tweaks in Apple's iPhone 7, which CEO Tim Cook is set to unveil Wednesday before a few thousand people at an event in San Francisco. And the biggest change -- the removal of the headphone jack -- is something that could tick off a lot of people.

Every other year, Apple releases an "S" model of its popular phone, where the S often stands for "same old design." That was the case last year with the iPhone 6S, which looked identical to 2014's blockbuster iPhone 6. The only noticeable design update: a new "rose gold" color option.

http://www.cnet.com/news/looking-for-bi ... ptember-7/

WarRI1

Re: Looking for big iPhone changes? Wait till next year

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:26 am

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes- ... r-phone-2/

This is what all phones including Apple phones can do for you.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

QF29

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:47 am

If your waiting for a big change, don't wait for a new iPhone :D
A318/19/20/21, 330-2/3, 345, 380, B717 B737-4/6/7/8/9 B763 B743/4 B777-2/3 B787-8/9, Q-400, DHC-3 Seaplane, C172S, PA-28, Super Decathlon

Kiwirob

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:01 am

The removal of the headphone jack will probably mean the end of my relationship with Apple iPhone. Music over Bluetooth sux, wired cans are much better, it's also going to suck the charge out of the battery faster and means you need to carry around another charger. On long haul flights you'll run out of battery and you won't be able to use your headphones instead of the shitty airline supplied junk if you decide to watch a movie. All said and done a real misstep from Apple.

DDR

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:54 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
The removal of the headphone jack will probably mean the end of my relationship with Apple iPhone. Music over Bluetooth sux, wired cans are much better, it's also going to suck the charge out of the battery faster and means you need to carry around another charger. On long haul flights you'll run out of battery and you won't be able to use your headphones instead of the shitty airline supplied junk if you decide to watch a movie. All said and done a real misstep from Apple.

I have to agree with Kiwirob regarding the headphone jack removal. What's the point? You can still use wireless headphones if you choose to do so on phones with the headphone jack. But by removing the jack, a lot of people are going to say no thanks.

kasimir

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:55 pm

I don't expect anything special anymore from Apple and to be frank the last 2 keynotes were a big joke and I am starting to replace all Apple hardware step by step and switching over to Android and Windows...

IMO Apple has become complacent and arrogant. Their success has made them become that and I honestly don't believe that Tim Cook is the right person to lead Apple.

Looking at the Galaxy S7 (Edge), I have to admit that that is one great phone and worst of all its around $100-200 cheaper than a similar iphone. Google is innovating like crazy and in certain areas is lightyears ahead of Apple. Last but not least, Microsoft, after Steve Ballmer left and Satya Nadella took over, they became a whole new company and is doing everything much better. I love their idea of the MS Surface Pro and truly believe that is the future of tablet/notebooks with strong capable hybrid operating system.

Then looking at the Apple Watch, it has not become the next "Star" product they wanted it to be and the way they approached it is in my opinion very wrong...

Apple used to be the company that everyone else wanted to be and others were copying, now they are chasing the competition and copying everybody else. That tells me a lot...

Ken777

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:48 pm

kasimir wrote:
I don't expect anything special anymore from Apple and to be frank the last 2 keynotes were a big joke and I am starting to replace all Apple hardware step by step and switching over to Android and Windows...

IMO Apple has become complacent and arrogant. Their success has made them become that and I honestly don't believe that Tim Cook is the right person to lead Apple.

Folks have been saying that for years, including the Job's Years. Apple is still investing Billions in R&D and the next iPhone will see a new processor - delivering a boost in performance. People don't get excited about major technical advances like they used to for desktop computers. In mobile phones it's all about the "looks" but the competition really got caught when Apple released the 64 bit processor for mobile devices and they are still improving those processors.

kasimir wrote:
Looking at the Galaxy S7 (Edge), I have to admit that that is one great phone and worst of all its around $100-200 cheaper than a similar iphone. Google is innovating like crazy and in certain areas is lightyears ahead of Apple. Last but not least, Microsoft, after Steve Ballmer left and Satya Nadella took over, they became a whole new company and is doing everything much better. I love their idea of the MS Surface Pro and truly believe that is the future of tablet/notebooks with strong capable hybrid operating system.

Apple used to be the company that everyone else wanted to be and others were copying, now they are chasing the competition and copying everybody else. That tells me a lot...

The S7 appears to be having a battery problem right now so I can see the company reducing their investment in R&D until profits recover. MS is doing better in some areas and personal preferences so you will decide where you spend your money, but all the competition still is based on the iPhone smart phone that Steve Jobs presented in 2007.. Same with the iPad.

kasimir

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:37 pm

Ken777 wrote:
Folks have been saying that for years, including the Job's Years. Apple is still investing Billions in R&D and the next iPhone will see a new processor - delivering a boost in performance. People don't get excited about major technical advances like they used to for desktop computers. In mobile phones it's all about the "looks" but the competition really got caught when Apple released the 64 bit processor for mobile devices and they are still improving those processors.

Apple can invest billions in R&D because they can! By the way, I don't see the fruits of all that R&D in the past 12-24 months... Coming up with a new color, adding all kinds of childish emojis into imessage or removing the headphone jack is not innovation IMO

You are just concentrating on the CPU power and yes the the iphone performs better then android devices, but that has mostly to do with how efficient iOS is. And most smartphone users don't care if their phone has a 5% better/lower benchmark score, most people care about the following things much more:
- Camera
- Screen size/resolution/quality
- Battery life
- Wireless charging, Waterproof, VR and other practical gimmicks
- Quality
- Price

By the way, 64bit is standard for quite some time now even in the android world, but when Apple introduced the 64bit SoC, those were the times that I was looking forward to the next product release, that has changed completely and like I said, the last 2 keynotes were absolutely mediocre.

Give a look at this interview, where I completely support what Jonathan Rettinger is saying:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndX5X0yan6w

Ken777 wrote:
The S7 appears to be having a battery problem right now so I can see the company reducing their investment in R&D until profits recover.

The Galaxy S7 and S7 edge are doing just fine, actually the whole tech community is currently praising the flagship line-up of Samsung, the battery issue is just with the recently released Note7 and that problem will be fixed without the need to reduce their investments in R&D, its a fairly simple to fix QA issue! Don't forget that the iphone had issues as well, so lets not act like Apple is perfect...

Ken777 wrote:
MS is doing better in some areas and personal preferences so you will decide where you spend your money, but all the competition still is based on the iPhone smart phone that Steve Jobs presented in 2007.. Same with the iPad.

Exactly, thats why I love capitalism, because the consumer votes with his/her money what is best for them and looking at the recent financial reports of Apple, it looks like Apple has peaked 2 quarters ago and IMO that is pretty much in line with how I feel about Apple... Apple has also been losing relative marketshare over the past 2 years towards the android based smartphones...

And talking about how all competition is based on the iphone design from 2007 makes you sound really stupid. When it comes to tech world the way to go is forward, not backwards, if you want to buy Apple just because steve jobs created the iphone then be my guest... But Apple will not be the first company that has become complacent, slowed down on innovation and in the end motivated their customers to start looking at the competition and THAT IS DANGEROUS FOR ANY COMPANY!

Don't forget about companies like Nokia or Blackberry!!! There used to be a time not so long ago where these companies where number 1 in their market segments...

In the end we will only be smarter after the next iphone release in 2 days, but if the rumors are true and the next iphone is more like a minor release iphone 6SE instead of major release iphone7 than I am very convinced that a lot of current iphone user will either wait one more year for the next "big" release or start looking at the competition. Both scenarios are bad for Apple since it will mean less sales!
Me as a current iPhone 6 user, I am in the camp of "seriously looking at the competition", something I have not done since the first iPhone in 2007! I don't think i am the only one...

Aesma

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:53 pm

PDAphones existed before the iphone, and the word smartphone itself was popularized by Microsoft years before (I owned one, a HTC Canary in 2003). The iPhone mainly brought a sleek design and an ambition to be mainstream.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Klaus

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:07 am

A few remarks:

• The "S" models are actually the bigger functional step normally; The "non-S" models usually don't change much beyond the outer shell and their actualchanges are mainly superficial. Depends on what's more important to you.

• From leaked package photos it appears each iPhone 7 will come with a Lightning-to-coax adapter. So regular passive headphones still keep working. We'll have to see what the actual, official story about this will be, and how it will play out in reality.

• Emoji and other user-facing features are usually the smallest changes in most iOS and macOS revisions. As with an iceberg, most of the really substantial changes are normally below the surface in the form of overhauled and/or new frameworks which will be used to build applications with. The actual functional rollout of new major OS versions thus takes many months, and many new or overhauled applications will actually in large part just bring new OS capabilities to the surface.

Klaus

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:13 am

Aesma wrote:
PDAphones existed before the iphone, and the word smartphone itself was popularized by Microsoft years before (I owned one, a HTC Canary in 2003). The iPhone mainly brought a sleek design and an ambition to be mainstream.

No. It was the completely new user interface which kicked off the smartphone revolution where most people actually wanted a smartphone and were actually able to use it in real life, too.

That was a huge deal, and many people still can't grasp the magnitude of the effort it took in conceptual and technical development, resorting to the old standbys "(superficial) design" and "marketing", both of which had already been tried on earlier products, just without success because these products were just duds by their own lacking merits.

Neither the original Nokia Communicator nor the Windows mobile phones had any wider practical impact, even though both were theoretically something similar and came out years before.