Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aaden
Topic Author

Iphone vs Android

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:37 am

Its time for me to upgrade my phone. And with August-October being when the majority of flagship phones are released such as the note 7, iphone 7 and lg v20, which looks to be really solid on paper.

I was curious as to where anet stands in terms of phones they use.

Please tell me what phone you currently have or want to get? As well as whether or not you like it.

Adipasquale

Re: Iphone vs Android

Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:41 am

I'm a staunch Android user. I really like them for two main reasons: price tends to be better for phones with comparable if not slightly better specs than iPhones, and they are more customizable. I currently have a Motorola Droid Turbo 2 (had it for almost a year), and I love it. Battery life is amazing, the display is pretty great and the screen glass is very durable and resistant to cracks. Drawbacks: Android phones may not be as sleek as an iPhone (though if you ask me, the gap is closing), but every phone I've ever had, I slapped an otterbox case on it the day I got it, so looks aren't high on the list of what I consider important in a phone.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W

flynhi808

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:28 am

To me, operating system is very important. And in my opinion, iOS beats Android hands down (granted, I have never REALLY used Android, but that's for a reason). I have been on the iOS 10 beta for a few months, and it is REVOLUTIONARY, to an already revolutionary iOS 7/8/9. iOS 10 makes everything flow so nicely, and additionally with the Apple Watch, that's an extremely tough pair to beat. But the Apple watch is not for everyone. As I'm sure you know, Apple is expected to Announce the iPhone 7 on Wednesday, possibly with a new watch. Rumors state that Apple is just going to release another iPhone 6 variant (peak iPhone 6?). I'd recommend hopping onto Apples upgrade program (prices out pretty well) with this Wednesday's release, then in a year when people suspect the major refresh will be launched, buying that outright, or even staying on the program. Also, T-Mobile just announced their new ONE plan, definitely worth looking at; the upgrade program phones come unlocked.
fly-n-HI-808

stlgph

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:30 am

i have Android for personal and iPhone for work.
i loathe the iPhone.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jetblueguy22

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:02 am

flynhi808 wrote:
To me, operating system is very important. And in my opinion, iOS beats Android hands down (granted, I have never REALLY used Android, but that's for a reason). I have been on the iOS 10 beta for a few months, and it is REVOLUTIONARY, to an already revolutionary iOS 7/8/9. iOS 10 makes everything flow so nicely, and additionally with the Apple Watch, that's an extremely tough pair to beat. But the Apple watch is not for everyone. As I'm sure you know, Apple is expected to Announce the iPhone 7 on Wednesday, possibly with a new watch. Rumors state that Apple is just going to release another iPhone 6 variant (peak iPhone 6?). I'd recommend hopping onto Apples upgrade program (prices out pretty well) with this Wednesday's release, then in a year when people suspect the major refresh will be launched, buying that outright, or even staying on the program. Also, T-Mobile just announced their new ONE plan, definitely worth looking at; the upgrade program phones come unlocked.

I've been on the iOS 10 beta for a few months as well, but I wouldn't come near calling it revolutionary. Are there nice changes? Sure. But far from revolutionary.

OP, I'm all in on iPhone. I made the switch to Android a few years back and absolutely hated it. It just seemed buggy for my taste. I don't care about the personalization or running ROMs or all the stuff people claim make it so great. I want a phone that works when I need it to, and does the job well. iPhone has always done that for me. I have a 6S+ right now and you couldn't get me to dump it for anything. Battery life is fantastic (take it off the charger at 330AM heavy use all day, lasts until 10PM), everything runs really smooth, and the camera is fantastic.

The thing with this battle is it is all personal preference. Maybe I'm a simpleton, but the iPhone is just easier IMO.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

BreninTW

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:40 am

I'm an iPhone user -- having had an Android before. There was one reason, and one reason alone, that drove me (somewhat unwillingly, I'll add) from Android to iOS -- the crapware preloaded on all the Android phones available here. Since most of the CW is baked into the vendors' versions of Android, it can't be removed or disabled (Samsung tried to convince me that disabling their magazine reader would kill Android!)

iOS is at least pretty clean. I like it, but there are aspects of Android I find more intuitive. My biggest complaint with my iPhone is the battery life -- I've got a 6S that I've had for just on a year, and the battery life is noticeably shorter than it was when I got the phone. I'm an old fuddy-duddy, so I don't have millions of apps loaded, and I mostly use the phone for messaging my family that is distributed across the world.

EDIT: Yes, I know I can root the Android phones and install a custom ROM, such as Cyanogenmod. I'd considered that, but I don't like the idea of voiding my warranty just to get a device that is fit-for-purpose. Additionally, my experience with rooted Android devices has not been favorable, especially after Cyanogenmod killed my tablet's WiFi (which was the only way to connect to anything!)

VapourTrails

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:53 am

aaden wrote:
Please tell me what phone you currently have or want to get? As well as whether or not you like it.

I converted to the iPhone after I got another Apple product (my first) and really loved it. I haven't looked back.

However, I am always a few years behind the latest model, so next year I will go from a 4S to a 5S. I find the battery life is a real pain drain on the 4S, the 6S that I sometimes use, but is not mine, is much better on battery, and camera too (of course).

I find the iCloud really useful and it is much easier having the same kind of devices, like iPad, for photographs and music, thanks Apple, I know you do that well LOL.

The iPhone is just so easy to use, I get it and it's all there.

Airstud

Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:18 am

I had a Android phone (HTCOne thanks for asking) for three years; it was my first smartphone. Now I have an iPhone 6s Plus and I mostly despise it.

Android devices work for their users. iOS devices work for Apple.
Pancakes are delicious.

mad99

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:51 am

I have a 5S and am looking to change to the 7 if its a big step up from the 6S. If not then i'll buy a 6S

Aesma

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:30 am

3 Android phones :

- a cheap barebones Huawei I use when there is a risk it's going to be broken, lost or stolen
- my former work phone converted to personal use : Samsung S4 mini + 32GB card
- my current work phone : Samsung A3 + 128GB card

So really I'm not buying phones, I get them by my company.

I would never buy anything Apple though, for many reasons, that boil down to one word : closed.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Calder

Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:24 pm

Android here..

I prefer to tinker with my gadgets and get exactly what I want rather than having to settle. Still using a VZW Note 4 actually, because Sammy totally botched the Note line up post N4.
C. T.

AM744

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:27 pm

Android here as well. Not for any fundamental philosophical reason. They get the job done for a reasonable price. If somebody gave me an IPhone for free, I'd happily use it. I'm sure I'd love it.

zckls04

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:47 pm

Android, specifically a Galaxy S5. Has a far richer feature set than its iPhone equivalent, at least for my needs. Due for an upgrade soon, but I doubt I'll get anything radically different.

You can become used to anything though. After years of using an iPhone when I finally got my Galaxy 3 I found it enormously cumbersome and frustrating to use. Now I find the reverse when I use an iPhone. It's just what you are accustomed to.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Klaus

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:16 pm

iPhone 6 now and before that iPhones 4S and 3GS. (In parallel with an iPad 1, then 3 and now Pro.)

I have a lot of personal data on it so timely security updates are close to the top of my concerns. Apple provides up to five year old models with upgrades and security updates, immediately available to all users of supported devices which cuts down on zero-day threats.

Quality is top notch: Apple invests Billions in their own hardware, CPU and OS development and it does result in very much practical advantages: Devices which deliver sustained high performance for hours if necessary and not just for a few minutes to get quotable benchmark numbers and software which runs extremely well on them because hard- and software have been designed in tandem. Also devices which have strong encryption out of the box with much better protections than elsewhere (security updates come in there again: they are one of these protections).

Customization is often quoted as an alleged minus but not an argument that impresses me much. iOS devices are very versatile and can do a lot more than many people think (including, among other things, freely manage files and exchange them with other systems).

iOS devices are not much more expensive than high-end Android devices, but the difference remains: With an iOS device you're paying for several years of first-class update support and you are the paying customer of the company which develops both hard- and software. With an Android device you're customer to the hardware producer (although most don't really act like it), but to the OS producer (Google) you're just fodder for their advertising customers who are actually paying Google's bills, and who have Google's ultimate loyalty.

Still, preferences and priorities vary and which decision you make for yourself is just that: Your own decision. And the only consequence of it is really that you've decided for one combination of pros and cons and against the other. Ideally it should be the best match for what you really need and want and doesn't really affect anything else.

Revelation

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:56 pm

Android here, currently Samsung Galaxy Note 4, which I'm very happy with.

I keep thinking I will get an Apple but when I do, they always come up with some policy that frustrates me.

Sadly Samsung is doing the same (no changeable battery, etc) and chances are (yet again) I'll look broadly when it's time to replace it, but probably end up with another Samsung.

Screw Hauwei, they are owned in large part by the Red Army ( ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei#Ownership )...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Redd

Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:47 am

I choose Android hands down. Open, customization, endless variety of phones. iOS, on the other hand is closed, not very customizable and has a very limited selection of hardware.

vrbarreto

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:41 am

Have an android phone for personal use (Galaxy S7). Quite like it but it can be a pain.. Currently suffering from the mediaserver eating battery problem which I suspect may be caused by Chrome.

Used to have an iphone 4 for work and didn't mind it one bit.. Like some aspects of it but as it was for work didn't try and tinker and it worked fine!

Having been tupe'd and having given the iphone back have been given the POS that should NEVER have existed... A Nokia Lumia 550 Windows phone.. A piece of excrement so rubbish I dislike it more than Katie Hopkins...

It is currently dumped under my bed...

LAX772LR

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:46 am

Android, for so many reasons.

Not the least of which is the ability to ADD MEMORY. I find it hilarious to hear 32GB iPhone people whining about their phones' limitations, particularly since just stuck a 200GB memory card in my Galaxy, that I got for $24.99 on Amazon. And screw the cloud BS, I've no idea who else has access to that, and how safe it is from breaches. I'd rather not store anything personal that way.

Screw the iPhone. What a gimmick.

Airstud wrote:
Android devices work for their users. iOS devices work for Apple.

^THIS! A thousand times, this!
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

AirPacific747

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:57 am

I've owned both and been happy with both for various reasons, but I'm currently back with iPhone and iOS as I need a certain app that's only available on iOS. And I know many people who use iMessage and facetime which is only available on iOS. Whatsapp is not a good alternative as it is a separate app wheres iMessage is built in to the message app itself.
I also like to follow family members and friends in "find my friends" which is again another iOS exclusive. There are android alternatives of course, but that would require me to convince other people to download those just because I switched to an android device.

I do think, however, that the iPhones hardware is beginning to look dated and as far as I am aware, the next iPhone that will be announced today, won't be groundbreakingly different in any way, making me wait for the next generation already while I keep my 6s Plus for another year. I read somewhere that next year, the iPhone will be shipped with an AMOLED display produced by Samsung. Can't wait for that, because the current display is looking dull next to any newer samsung phone.

VapourTrails

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:14 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
I've owned both and been happy with both for various reasons, but I'm currently back with iPhone and iOS as I need a certain app that's only available on iOS. And I know many people who use iMessage and facetime which is only available on iOS. Whatsapp is not a good alternative as it is a separate app wheres iMessage is built in to the message app itself. I also like to follow family members and friends in "find my friends" which is again another iOS exclusive. There are android alternatives of course, but that would require me to convince other people to download those just because I switched to an android device.

Yes - this!

I've also subscribed to Apple Music, and think it is wonderful. The music library is massive, so far there is not one song I want to listen to, they don't have.
Last edited by VapourTrails on Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzly410

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:52 am

Android. Currently with LG G4.
With all the model and brand available under Android you can find the one that suits you perfectly for much less money.
Screen size, camera quality, connectivity, dual sim, loudspeaker quality, microSD slot, waterproofness, just to say what's jumping to my mind quickly.

And probably the best for me with not touching Apple products, my mother in law used to call me for any maintenance/advice with electronic devices, now she is only purchasing Apple I just have to answer "I don't know" and I'm in peace ! 8-)
In order to be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb.

Aesma

Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:08 am

In my family it's the opposite I guess, all have installed Whatsapp. And can have whatever phone they want. Fortunately since a good chunk of them wouldn't be able to afford an iPhone (and I wouldn't want to spend that much money, personally).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:10 pm

iPhone 6. Graduated from the iPhone 4S & iPhone 3GS. Have used Android before, a HTC One M8, but I find it's only bearable to use if you reflash the phone to use stock Android. Even then I find the UI for settings to be bewildering.

If you're so into customization then Android's the best thing since slice bread. If you want ease of use, the closed system of iOS makes that possible.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

jetwet1

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:58 pm

stlgph wrote:
i have Android for personal and iPhone for work.
i loathe the iPhone.

Same here and same thoughts.

LAX772LR wrote:
Android, for so many reasons.

Not the least of which is the ability to ADD MEMORY. I find it hilarious to hear 32GB iPhone people whining about their phones' limitations, particularly since just stuck a 200GB memory card in my Galaxy, that I got for $24.99 on Amazon.

This was the big selling point for me and the fact that I can switch out the battery if need be.

LAX772LR

Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:31 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
and the fact that I can switch out the battery if need be.

Which Samsung just took away, in the Galaxy.

Major peeve! :evil: :evil:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Ken777

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Apple just finished their iPhone/Apple Watch Keynote so you will be able to look at what is new, and the level of obsession folks at Apple have for their products. Apple also has an interesting program where you can trade in your iPhone every year.

You can get information on the new phones and watches at apple.com or you can watch the video of the Keynote, but either way it is worth getting a good look at the products. Keynotes can give you a look not available otherwise - even if you have to let the video run for a while before the iPhone part gets started.

mdavies06

Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:05 pm

I use both android (Samsung) and iphone (iphone 5) concurrently as personal phones and IMO they both have their pros and cons:

-Most of my friends are iphone users but my family are nearly all android. This creates massive problem for me when I file share because iphone and android phone cannot file share by bluetooth. I am still figuring out how to solve this problem for good as this issue extends to ipad as well. I think apple is to blame here.

-Android is remarkably terrible from my own impression in terms of software update and security. I think I am pretty tech-minded (graduated with a technical science degree) but I often wonder whether my android phone is safe from bugs. Samsung stopped updating the OS 1 year after releasing my phone model in the market (and this is in fact before the date I actually bought this phone from the shop). Apple, on the other hand, will update iphone 5 to iOS10 hopefully very shortly, a phone it first sold 4 years ago!

-Iphone is less flexible in certain aspect by being less customisable and the interface is less-changable without jailbreak. Android phone is more flexible and I like android in this aspect. Sure more flexibility means the OS is harder to use, but on the balance flexibility to me is more important than ease of use.

-The walled garden approach of iOS feels rather problematic - how should I get the data inside out of the phone should I decide the leave apple for good one day? Think about podcast and iBooks. Android app data, on the other hand, are mostly exportable to another android phone or even to a computer.

On the balance, if I have to pick just one, I'd pick android over iOS.

N867DA

Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:19 pm

I had an Android phone (LG Thrill) for two years and have been using an iPhone 5S since it came out. The Android phone was great because I could swap out memory cards and remove the battery if I needed to. The OS was terrible and by the time the two years were up the phone lagged. I blame LG for a lot of the bloatware.

My iPhone can't be customized as easily and I constantly have to manage storage space but the user experience has been a step up from the Android phone. I do not think my experience is a fair comparison because I wasn't using stock Android and LG is pretty well known for installing random bloatware that no one ever uses.

Neither system is terrible, but I prefer the iPhone over Android.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

txjim

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:24 pm

On a related note, Android Auto in my 2017 Hyundai puts dedicated Navigation systems to shame. My wife has the factory Nav in her Toyota and my setup is far easier to use than hers and has many more features. Google only allows apps that are tailored for Auto and limits user interfaces to a simplified set of touchscreen commands or a pretty good set of voice commands.

I am not familiar with the Apple auto interface so I can't compare but we're entering an era where assuring that your auto fully supports your phone (and not just through a Bluetooth phone/audio interface) is an important purchase decision.

wingman

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:27 pm

I hope we're also entering an era where car manufacturers stop bundling nav systems with their options packages because you're right, Google Maps and Waze make the car navs look like Dinosaur era crap. And crap they are.

casinterest

Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:00 am

I like IOS. I still have an Iphone 5 and I am running IOS 10 on it. Not bad for a 4 year old phone. A lot of folks on here undersell the security features of the Iphone. It is going to be a big issue going forward as more and more hacks are exploited into software bases. The inability to update still usable hw with new software will impact may people going forward.

Part of Android's success is it's own failure. It is very extensible by many vendors, and at the end of the day. No one has the manpower to push fixes to all the devices in real time. Pre Jelly , Jelly Bean (2013) and Kit Kat(2014) are still running on over 45% of Android devices. Until last week Almost 90% of Apple ios users were using IOS 9 (2015) . If FIKSU is to be believed, IOS 10 is on 26% of all apple ios devices less than a week after being released.

People may prefer android's extensibility and some of the HW manufacturer's adoption of leading HW. However hardly any of it lives up to it's promise over the long term as other than Google's nexus devices, just about none of them maintain a lengthy software support cycle.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Boeing717200

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:51 pm

I'm an Apple user, but their ecosytemfacism pisses me off. I'm also not a fan of their forced change philosophy when they introduce new features and I want to keep it the old way. The shit works, so I can't really complain, but damn it, leave stuff alone that doesn't need to be messed with. Android drove me nuts. Software was buggy and the damn thing crashed all the time.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

Boeing717200

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:58 pm

wingman wrote:
I hope we're also entering an era where car manufacturers stop bundling nav systems with their options packages because you're right, Google Maps and Waze make the car navs look like Dinosaur era crap. And crap they are.

I think they'll go the software route. My Apple CarPlay interface in the new Tahoe is pretty slick. It makes me wish they would do something similar for A/V products so I don't have to use AppleTV and have to use multiple streaming devices to access all my content. They got CarPlay right though. It's badass.

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Boeing717200

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:02 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
and the fact that I can switch out the battery if need be.

Which Samsung just took away, in the Galaxy.

Major peeve! :evil: :evil:

I'd be down with a replaceable battery and an SD card slot. Never gonna happen though.

kasimir

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:34 pm

wingman wrote:

I hope car manufacturers go a completely different route regarding their in-car "infotainment" systems. My ideal concept would be they eliminate center controls (except for the very basic stuff) and replace the middle space with some kind of area where the driver can insert their smartphone or even tablet up to a certain size that connects with the car when docked and will launch the car environment with more options then just communication, navigation and entertainment, it should be possible to control other functions like climate control, sunroof etc... Kind of like a tesla... Basically things that are not safety critical.

From what I know VW is one of the first that is heading into that direction with the new micro-car VW Up! by eliminating the sat-nav and placing a smartphone holder.

This would solve the biggest issue with second hand cars, that a 5-7 year old car can already feel extremely old just because the infotainment systems "ages" much faster than the car itself. Also the cost for these the incar systems are ridiculous!
I rather buy a new tablet every 3-4 years for the car then choose a US$ 3,000-10,000 build in infotainment option that will feel dated after 1 year...

kasimir

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:35 pm

wingman wrote:

I hope car manufacturers go a completely different route regarding their in-car "infotainment" systems. My ideal concept would be they eliminate center controls (except for the very basic stuff) and replace the middle space with some kind of area where the driver can insert their smartphone or even tablet up to a certain size that connects with the car when docked and will launch the car environment with more options then just communication, navigation and entertainment, it should be possible to control other functions like climate control, sunroof etc... Kind of like a tesla... Basically things that are not safety critical.

From what I know VW is one of the first that is heading into that direction with the new micro-car VW Up! by eliminating the sat-nav and placing a smartphone holder.

This would solve the biggest issue with second hand cars, that a 5-7 year old car can already feel extremely old just because the infotainment systems "ages" much faster than the car itself. Also the cost for these the incar systems are ridiculous!
I rather buy a new tablet every 3-4 years for the car then choose a US$ 3,000-10,000 build in infotainment option that will feel dated after 1 year...

coolian2

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:01 am

I prefer Android out of habit. I get lost if someone passes me an iPhone and asks me to do something - and this is from someone who had an iPod Touch. Took me less time to get my girlfriends Netflix app hooked to her Chromecast and have a movie ready than it did for me to check the Stocks app on my exes iPhone.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

coolian2

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:03 am

Also, I recently replaced my phone from S6 to S7, and my tablet as well. Stuck with Android.

Turns out my previous phone and tablet do not enjoy water. Funny that.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

Revelation

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:43 pm

wingman wrote:

When I was looking at my 2006 BMW I could tell the resolution on the sat-nav was already out of date and the HDD technology was also on its way out. Luckily back then I could opt out of it, which saved me $2000. And of course with google/waze all the map data is on their servers so there's no need to keep updating maps.

kasimir wrote:

One visit to http://www.proclipusa.com/ will sort out at least as good a holder for you and your car and your phone.

I actually don't want touch-screen climate control, I'm quite happy to have the good old fashioned knobs to twist. They're much easier to deal with when bouncing down the road.

kasimir

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:12 pm

Revelation wrote:
One visit to http://www.proclipusa.com/ will sort out at least as good a holder for you and your car and your phone.

I actually don't want touch-screen climate control, I'm quite happy to have the good old fashioned knobs to twist. They're much easier to deal with when bouncing down the road.

Please my friend, I think your the only not seeing the vision and the future here. I wasn't talking about smartphone or tablet holders, but a better integration of them software wise!

If you like physical buttons for climate control, go ahead... I couldn't care less, how many times do you the temperature any way?

Think more ahead, for example it should be possible that when I go into reverse the backup camera signal is displayed on the smartphone/tablet. Stuff like that! That in my opinion will be the future... Technically all this could be possible already, its just software and a question if the car manufacturers are willing to go this route since all the expensive infotainment and multimedia options are high margin products.

PacificBeach88

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:12 pm

I'm cell phone agnostic. I personally couldn't give a s**t less about operating system or phone.

I was addicted to my flip phone, black & white, Motorolas that lasted 5 or 6 days without a charge and were TINY! They only weighed 100 grams!!! There were other phones weighing in at around 80 grams.

Today's Apple iPhone 7 weighs in at 135+ grams. Additionally, I used to get 4 to 6 days of a charge out of my old black & white flip phones, to today, you essentially need to charge it every night, or a minimum every other night.

So I went from my analog phones in 1992, with an in-car booster kit, from Oki. This was back when cell phone prices were $50 per month and came with around 50 minutes of "free" calls, and each additional minute was $ .79 to $ .99 per minute depending on when you called or when you got a call.

After that, I started using CrackBerrys. I still miss those! I real keyboard. I then moved on to the original Google Phone with a slide and real keyboard. I LOVED that phone. It lasted me 4 1/2 years before my IT dept at work said they couldn't secure it anymore. It was the best phone ever! From 2008 to nearly 2013 I used it non-stop. This was an Android phone.

Then I bought an uninspiring Android phone, used it 18 months. It was fine, nothing to write home about.

Then I got an iPhone 5S, still have it. Again, no big deal. Mostly I view cell phones as use them until they die, or my employer pays for a new one. I refuse to buy a new $600 phone every few months or year. Both Android and Apple phones already do far, far, more than I need them to do.

Aesma

Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:11 pm

casinterest wrote:
I like IOS. I still have an Iphone 5 and I am running IOS 10 on it. Not bad for a 4 year old phone. A lot of folks on here undersell the security features of the Iphone. It is going to be a big issue going forward as more and more hacks are exploited into software bases. The inability to update still usable hw with new software will impact may people going forward.

Part of Android's success is it's own failure. It is very extensible by many vendors, and at the end of the day. No one has the manpower to push fixes to all the devices in real time. Pre Jelly , Jelly Bean (2013) and Kit Kat(2014) are still running on over 45% of Android devices. Until last week Almost 90% of Apple ios users were using IOS 9 (2015) . If FIKSU is to be believed, IOS 10 is on 26% of all apple ios devices less than a week after being released.

People may prefer android's extensibility and some of the HW manufacturer's adoption of leading HW. However hardly any of it lives up to it's promise over the long term as other than Google's nexus devices, just about none of them maintain a lengthy software support cycle.

Of course the most significant hack I can think of targeted iPhone users : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICloud_le ... ity_photos

Klaus

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:37 pm

Aesma wrote:
Of course the most significant hack I can think of targeted iPhone users : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICloud_le ... ity_photos

Simply guessing people's online passwords works with absolutely any platform which has an online component and has nothing whatsoever to do with iCloud, specifically, other than media and public interest jumping right into hysterical frenzy mode when the name Apple is even just mentioned.

If you're using passwords anyone with a passing knowledge of yourself can guess (pet name, birth date, publicized preferences (including on Facebook or on other public platforms), ...), you're basically telling the world that you have no interest in the privacy of your data, as in those cases. Other than recommending you to use reasonably good passwords a platform provider can't do very much there.

PacificBeach88

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:09 am

Frankly, I have always been an Apple guy. But this latest nonsense of the Apple Cloud being hacked pisses me off to no end. I was in Chicago 2 months ago and the hackers killed my phone using my "super security, take care of your account, don't be silly, secure your account" cloud account. The hackers took my account along with 20 MILLION others to send my password to the cloud to other hackers. The very "security feature" that Apple DEMANDED of me, turned out to be a security weakness. That's what pisses me off....an Apple pusher. An Apple lover who has only bought Apple Macs since 2002. Sad!

Klaus

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:54 am

What exactly happened and how did the hackers get to your password? Did you re-use it across multiple different accounts?

TS-IOR

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:28 am

Android, and Sony since 2013, the perfect combination for me, photo and audio are optimum.

Aesma

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:02 am

Klaus wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Simply guessing people's online passwords works with absolutely any platform which has an online component and has nothing whatsoever to do with iCloud, specifically, other than media and public interest jumping right into hysterical frenzy mode when the name Apple is even just mentioned.

If you're using passwords anyone with a passing knowledge of yourself can guess (pet name, birth date, publicized preferences (including on Facebook or on other public platforms), ...), you're basically telling the world that you have no interest in the privacy of your data, as in those cases. Other than recommending you to use reasonably good passwords a platform provider can't do very much there.

iCloud allowed unlimited guesses, that's a security vulnerability.

And passwords aren't the only way to secure things.

Revelation

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:03 pm

My friends scoff at me for avoiding putting anything on 'the cloud' but the reality is these cloud portals are just giant targets for people seeking your private information. Those people can either be authorized (company insiders, either rogue or non-rogue) or hackers, and as mentioned, there are many different ways to recover information that do not involve knowing your password.

wingman

Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:11 pm

Raising this thread again watching the Samsung recall on the Note 7 enter its 2.0 phase..I really am shocked and I guess what should've been a black eye to easily recover from, we now have many analysts questioning whether this could be a much worse outcome. I think the Droid community is in for a real shake-up with the launch of Pixel and possible slow moving train death of Samsung. Huawei is going to eat it alive in China in the premium "non Apple" segment of that market and I just have to question the viability of Droid manufacturers in the premium segment competing against Pixel while relying on Google for the OS. It's a 1-2 punch for Samsung, can they recover..and if they don't is there any chance of Huawei making serious inroads in the US and Europe to fill the gap?

zckls04

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:25 am

wingman wrote:
It's a 1-2 punch for Samsung, can they recover..and if they don't is there any chance of Huawei making serious inroads in the US and Europe to fill the gap?

Don't see Huawei making any particular inroads TBH. Also don't think the Note 7 problems are going to sink Samsung. The Pixel might be another matter though; I have had Galaxy phones for a long time, and I'm seriously considering the Pixel as a replacement.
Four Granavox Turbines!