Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Hillis
Topic Author

Phyllis Shlafly Dies At Age 92

Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:45 am

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/05/politics/ ... index.html

I have always been taught to not say anything bad about someone when they die, so I won't.

Let's just say that, in my mind, she fought to keep women Second Class citizens, while she herself demanded to be treated equally by men.

Condolences to her family.

ArmitageShanks

Re: Phyllis Shlafly Dies At Age 92

Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:59 am

Tell us how you really feel.

Hillis
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:04 am

ArmitageShanks wrote:
Tell us how you really feel.

I really tried to keep it as respectful as I could. How I really feel? Maybe that'll come down the road. I can tell you I could get a little more colorful of my feelings on her.

DocLightning

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:19 am

Hillis wrote:
I have always been taught to not say anything bad about someone when they die, so I won't.

I have no such restraint. I will damn the evil in death. Ms. Schlafly (I use that honorific specifically because she hated it) made her living of loathing with a sprinkling of hypocrisy. I have nothing good to say of her.

Bye, Phylliscia... Rot in hell. Say hi to The Hon. Antonin Scalia for me once you get there.

stlgph

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:29 am

Looking forward to pissing on her grave.

Hillis
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:21 am

stlgph wrote:
Looking forward to pissing on her grave.

Now, that's disrespect for the dead, and it makes you as bad as you think she was. Just my 2 farthings.

ltbewr

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:21 am

Ms. Schlafly was a leading figure of the 'religious right' through her self created 'Eagle Forum' in the 1970's and 1980's. A major figure in the anti-abortion movements. Derailed the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment to the Constitution which would true equality for women. Hated GLTBQ's, blaming AIDS on Gay Men. Supported Ronald Reagan and more recently Donald Trump. A strong supporter of our military and of wars in the Islamic World. She had too much access to leaders of the Republican party who pandered to get the votes of the so-called religious.
I find her views to be offensive but she had a right to express them, I just wish the media didn't make her a go to person for the right wing view.
She got to live a long life, I have no wish that she suffered. Wishing here to go to hell or to pee on her grave is just as wrong as the same as to Hillary Clinton or some other 'liberal' person.

DocLightning

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:44 am

Hillis wrote:
Now, that's disrespect for the dead, and it makes you as bad as you think she was. Just my 2 farthings.

No, because there is right and wrong in the world. See, Ms. Schlafly set out to make sure that everyone who didn't live exactly as she did was punished. She set out to harm other people out of sheer loathing for them. Fortunately, like many of her ilk, she found herself lacking the tools to do what she really wanted to do.

She's one of a long line of people like that. Pol Pot, Hitler, Milosevic', a number of Popes, just about every genocidal maniac, really. The only difference is that Ms. Schlafly was born in a time and place and under circumstances in which she never found herself with a genocidal industrial apparatus at her disposal.

But if I said the things about your family that she said about mine, you'd probably be glad to see me go, too.

ezola

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:15 am

proof positive that "the good die young"

MaverickM11

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:02 pm

She was just doing the good lordt's work, as it says in one korinthians in duh bible!

"women are to be silent in the churches. They are not permitted to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they wish to inquire about something, they are to ask their own husbands at home; for it is dishonorable for a woman to speak in the church"

Not sure how female evangelicals get around that one but then again they pick and choose everything else. Women like her, Palin, Bachmann, etc., really need to STFU and let their husbands speak for them, cuz Jesus! #praiseHim

WarRI1

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:26 am

Enough said!!!

lebda

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:34 am

Oh dear, that old crone? Didn't realize she was still alive.

PacificBeach88

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:06 am

DocLightning wrote:
I have no such restraint. I will damn the evil in death. Ms. Schlafly (I use that honorific specifically because she hated it) made her living of loathing with a sprinkling of hypocrisy. I have nothing good to say of her.

Bye, Phylliscia... Rot in hell. Say hi to The Hon. Antonin Scalia for me once you get there.

The sooner these wing-nut, Bible Beating Baby Boomers, croak the sooner the USA will begin to look like a modern day, European style, neo-libertarian, functioning democracy.

HGL

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:47 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
The sooner these wing-nut, Bible Beating Baby Boomers, croak the sooner the USA will begin to look like a modern day, European style, neo-libertarian, functioning democracy.

Apart from a rather shallow identification of all people of a certain age group as having definable views, your image of Europe is also distorted. Frauke Petry is a young woman (not a "boomer") whose views are fiercely anti-immigration. Marine Le pen, also not a boomer, leads another party that thrives on hatred an division. The thugs who firebomb refugee centres in Germany are also unlikely to be in their late fifties or sixties.

So-called baby boomers come in all shapes and sizes, some voting Conservative, some voting Social Democratic, some supporting far right organisations and many not caring one way or another. Some have modest incomes, some are extremely wealthy, others rely on state pensions. Some go to the movies, some play chess and prefer football. Some brought up their children to be decent citizens, or at least did their best to do so.

I profess to having never read any of Shlafy's works but she hardly belongs to a group that can be called baby boomers, even by the most slavish adherent of the need to label people they despise. But one thing is clear: some of the most vociferous exponents of "freedom" are just as narrow-minded and bigoted as the people they condemn.

Aesma

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:11 am

She was free to express her vile ideas and we are free to respond in kind.

LAX772LR

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:37 am

DocLightning wrote:
See, Ms. Schlafly set out to make sure that everyone who didn't live exactly as she did was punished.

Even worse: everyone who didn't live exactly as she SAID to live, but chose NOT to live by herself.

Phyllis went to law school.
Phyllis had nannies raise her kids, while she pursued a career.
Phyllis started businesses and organizations solely in her name.
Phyllis became the leader of political action committee, long before PACs as we know them today.
...and when Phyllis was asked her stance on something, she gave it, without consulting any man.

Basically, everything she did in life, were the things that she crusaded against acceptance of women being able to do! The ultimate hypocrite.

The only way it could get any worse (or better, depending on your stance) is by us finding out that she had a secret lady-friend at some point.

OA412

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:50 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Hillis wrote:

Agreed. When someone thrusts herself into the public eye and demands attention, her views and opinions are fair game, even in death. She worked tirelessly to defend laws designed to hold others (but not necessarily herself) back. I'm not going to pretend I'm sad to see her go. I'm glad you bring up Scalia. I recall when he died many of my supposedly progressive friends lionized him. But then, most of them are white, cisgender male progressives and brogressives who've never dealt with any sort of discrimination in their lives, a group often more grating than conservatives in their total lack of understanding of the struggles that the dispossessed faced, so non were truly affected by his decisions and opinions the way others of us were. Scalia wasn't worthy of lionization. He was an awful human being who wielded his great power to harm those with whom he disagreed. And, as a prominent local attorney noted, he, more than anyone else, is responsible for the notable decline in legal discourse over the last 30 or so years. The man was incredibly unprofessional in his writing and I'm not about to pretend I'm going to grieve his death.
LAX772LR wrote:
Even worse: everyone who didn't live exactly as she SAID to live, but chose NOT to live by herself.

Indeed. Don't forget she was married to a wealthy St. Louis attorney. Hypocrisy, thy name is Phyllis Schlafly.

LAX772LR

Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:37 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Supported Ronald Reagan and more recently Donald Trump.

The latter of which is another glaring example of her blatant hypocrisy.

Remember, she was one of the most vocal (and arguably, most successful) early proponents of Barry Goldwater against Nelson Rockefeller for the 1964 GOP nomination, because the latter had divorced his wife in favor of his mistress.

She swore she'd never support anyone who committed adultery or who divorced......

......and her last political appearance, was to endorse Trump. :?

PacificBeach88

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:18 pm

HGL wrote:
So-called baby boomers blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, .

Hit a nerve did I? What part of my very specific condemnation of a subset of people didn't you understand? I called to account wing-nut, Bible Beating Baby Boomers. Are you a wing-nut? Are you a bible beater? Are you a baby boomer? You can say yes to any one of these and not be included in my list. But if you are all three; a bible beating, wing-nut, baby boomer, then yes I'm happy this small subset of Americans will be dead soon. *shrug*

They have tried to make my life hell on Earth so wishing their next plane of existence is less than desirable seems fair. Don't like it? Tough!

PacificBeach88

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:20 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
Supported Ronald Reagan and more recently Donald Trump.

The latter of which is another glaring example of her blatant hypocrisy.

Remember, she was one of the most vocal (and arguably, most successful) early proponents of Barry Goldwater against Nelson Rockefeller for the 1964 GOP nomination, because the latter had divorced his wife in favor of his mistress.

She swore she'd never support anyone who committed adultery or who divorced......

......and her last political appearance, was to endorse Trump. :?

This has always been my biggest pet-peeve. Hypocrisy. Sadly, the biggest hypocrites never can see it themselves, and remain cock-sure in their condemnation of "others".

DocLightning

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:48 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
This has always been my biggest pet-peeve. Hypocrisy. Sadly, the biggest hypocrites never can see it themselves, and remain cock-sure in their condemnation of "others".

I have literally no use for hypocrites.

Genocidal maniacs at least do have some uses (horrible ones, but they are uses). Hypocrites have none.

LAX772LR

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:49 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:

There's a glimmer of karma therein though...
...that very action served to undo the only lasting thing that she's ever created: her PAC, the "Eagle Forum."

There'd long been plenty of contention between Schlafly and the current leadership of that group, due to her constant hypocrisy.

Among the most public was its schism in 1992, when her son (and the group's lawyer and custodian of records) came out as gay himself, and she refused to expel him (a "known homosexual" as per the group's then charter) from their ranks.

At the time of her Trump endorsement, the Eagle Forum membership had decided to back the never-divorced Cruz. Schlafly endorsed Trump, and most of her membership found out the same way that the rest of us did. Apparently, that was the last straw, as the group now seems to have all but halted any political activism, leading up to the election.

HGL

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:29 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
HGL wrote:
So-called baby boomers blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, b.. .

Hit a nerve did I?

It's always refreshing to meet an intellectual giant whose idea of debate is to ignore the points raised and simply edit with the words "blah, blah". But lest you have genuine concern about hitting a nerve, rest assured it would take a lot more.

The fact is that you do constantly harp on about baby boomers, a meaningless term that is simply an excuse for ageism. The term crops up regularly in your recent posts and without any qualification. That doesn't surprise me as the term has been increasingly used in various media in other countries as well, mainly when discussing tax and pension reforms. The fact that even people in marketing are not agreed on a definition shows how meaningless the term actually is. But to those who seek comfort in pejorative labels, feel free to continue.

PacificBeach88

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:34 am

LAX772LR wrote:
At the time of her Trump endorsement, the Eagle Forum membership had decided to back the never-divorced Cruz. Schlafly endorsed Trump, and most of her membership found out the same way that the rest of us did. Apparently, that was the last straw, as the group now seems to have all but halted any political activism, leading up to the election.

It is funny that she lost control of her organization isn't it? The Eagle Forum decided Trump was a pig, a degenerate, an idiot. Watching Schlafly get tangled into the Westboro Baptist Bible whack jobs has been amazing. She dies as a hateful, homophobe, old pig, where she deserves to die. She dies alone, and with 95% of America hating her and wishing her soul a trip to hell. *shrug*

MaverickM11

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:54 pm

HGL wrote:
But one thing is clear: some of the most vociferous exponents of "freedom" are just as narrow-minded and bigoted as the people they condemn.

This is such a bullshit copout that is *ALWAYS* used by the people who have all the power. Those in power decide a group doesn't deserve the same rights, no matter how hypocritical their argument is, and when that group calls them out on it they always whine that they're being persercuted, or called mean names like "bigot" or "racist" when that is EXACTLY what it is. A bunch of rednecks take over a bird sanctuary because the government had the audacity to try to get these welfare queens to pay up, and Sean Hannity surgically stitched his lips to their asses because they're such wonderful freedom fighters! This dumb see you next Tuesday tells women they don't deserve equal rights and gosh, we can't say accurate things about a legitimately mean person--"you're just as bad". Give me a break.

aerorobnz

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:36 pm

The important thing is that she is dead now. They had better bury her with a wooden stake through her heart and a garlic necklace just to be sure. May she decay in piece and be struck from the history books..

LMP737

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:06 am

I'll be honest, I had to Google her. Can't say I liked what I saw.

balair863

Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:02 am

Another right wing hypochristian. The world is a little bit better today.

HGL

Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:28 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
This dumb see you next Tuesday tells women they don't deserve equal rights and gosh, we can't say accurate things about a legitimately mean person--"you're just as bad". Give me a break.

You've missed the point completely.I don't even know this woman or her writings. My objection was to the categorisation of an entire age group as baby boomers who all share the same views and characteristics. If I were to write about all Chinese or all African-Americans in pejorative terms, I would correctly be called out for racism. Yet it is apparently acceptable to denigrate people purely on the basis of when they were born, rather than what they have done. Some prejudices can be defended, it seems.

Feel free to criticise this persons views or actions as you will but lumping a ninety-two year old in with "baby-boomers" (and remember that the person to whom I addressed my comment does use the term as a pejorative, not a compliment) is stretching things a bit far and hardly "accurate." Oh, And by the way, I think you'll find that most feminists would find your description of any woman, however vile she may be, as a "see you next Tuesday" objectionable. What next, calling a right-wing black man a nigger?

MaverickM11

Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:16 am

HGL wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Oh, And by the way, I think you'll find that most feminists would find your description of any woman, however vile she may be, as a "see you next Tuesday" objectionable.

I don't think so at all. I'd find it hard to believe most feminists could say a single positive thing about her, other than that she's worm food now, albeit still bigoted worm food. Betty Friedan wanted to "burn her at the stake" and considering how mainstream Republicans regularly call for HRC to be "strung up" or shot on the National Mall for sins they can never quite put their finger on, imagine their reaction if HRC actually fought to limit their rights?

OA412

Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:35 pm

HGL wrote:
You've missed the point completely.I don't even know this woman or her writings. My objection was to the categorisation of an entire age group as baby boomers who all share the same views and characteristics.

And we're right back to your fundamental misunderstanding of PacificBeach's point. Again, he was talking about a specific subgroup of baby boomers, not baby boomers as a whole. You're right that she is too old to be a boomer, but there are many in that subgroup who do share her views.
HGL wrote:
If I were to write about all Chinese or all African-Americans in pejorative terms, I would correctly be called out for racism

With all due respect, this is one of the weakest arguments there is. It's like when white nationalists ask why it's OK to denigrate white people but not minorities. In the US and in most Western countries, there is a long history of racism involving those groups. There is not a history of prejudice against baby boomers. Boomers were handed the world on a silver platter, given more than their parents could have dreamed of, and left those of us in Generation X and the Millenial generation a giant mess to clean up and far less than the Boomers had. It is by no means a powerless group.
HGL wrote:
Yet it is apparently acceptable to denigrate people purely on the basis of when they were born, rather than what they have done. Some prejudices can be defended, it seems.

See above. No one ever said it was all baby boomers.
HGL wrote:
Oh, And by the way, I think you'll find that most feminists would find your description of any woman, however vile she may be, as a "see you next Tuesday" objectionable.

Perhaps they would, but they certainly wouldn't disagree with the sentiment. She actively opposed feminists and, as Maverick correctly points out, she wasn't exactly loved by feminists either.

Another note, in future do not spell out the n-word on these forums. I realize it doesn't have the same impact in other countries, but it's long, ugly history in the US makes it a particularly awful word.

HGL

Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:02 am

OA412 wrote:
And we're right back to your fundamental misunderstanding of PacificBeach's point.

Actually, if you look back at PacificBeach's use of the term in other posts you will find that he has not specified a "subset", as I pointed out previously...

HGL wrote:
The fact is that you do constantly harp on about baby boomers, a meaningless term that is simply an excuse for ageism. The term crops up regularly in your recent posts and without any qualification.

and, here ...

OA412 wrote:
Boomers were handed the world on a silver platter, given more than their parents could have dreamed of, and left those of us in Generation X and the Millenial generation a giant mess to clean up and far less than the Boomers had. It is by no means a powerless group.

... here , neither have you.

OA412 wrote:
With all due respect, this is one of the weakest arguments there is.

Personally, I see no difference between holding a prejudice against a person based on whether he/she is black, female, gay, disabled or old. I am not engaged in a pissing competition to decide who has been the greatest victim of oppression or intolerance. A prejudice is still a prejudice, regardless of which group happens to be the target. Certainly here in Australia, arguments against "baby boomers"are used to justify changes in the tax and pension regime. You need to create a climate that makes the changes acceptable and what better way than to paint with a broad brush an entire generation?

OA412 wrote:
Another note, in future do not spell out the n-word on these forums.

Why ever not? I have not called anyone by that name and never do. I simply asked that if it is acceptable for the poster to describe a woman, any woman, as a cunt, given the historical and enduring discrimination and misogyny women have faced, would he attack a person he disagreed with as a nigger if he were black? In the context, perfectly reasonable. It is a far cry from actually writing "see you next Tuesday" where the intended insult is perfectly clear, yet you apparently have no problem with. So both ageism and misogyny are acceptable, it seems.

PacificBeach88

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:16 am

HGL wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
What next, calling a right-wing black man a nigger?

Get off the cross someone needs the wood. Your faux outrage is telling though.

I stand by my statement that wing nut, bible beating, baby boomers, have consistently tried to make my life harder, and I'm sorry that offends you that I call them out on it. Given the site's new software, I suggest you simply add me to your "foe" list so your sensibilities won't be upset, as my posts will *poof* disappear, so you won't have to read them.

HGL

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:53 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
HGL wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
What next, calling a right-wing black man a nigger?

So you too, despite your outrage being "genuine" rather than "faux" , see nothing wrong in calling a woman a "see you next Tuesday." Now why does that not surprise me?

As I said, I neither know the woman nor have I read her works so I have no need or desire to defend her, but I also stand by what I wrote:
HGL wrote:
But one thing is clear: some of the most vociferous exponents of "freedom" are just as narrow-minded and bigoted as the people they condemn.

Thank you for proving the point.

PacificBeach88

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:12 am

HGL wrote:
So you too, despite your outrage being "genuine" rather than "faux" , see nothing wrong in calling a woman a "see you next Tuesday." Now why does that not surprise me?

What in holy hell are you going on about? I've never called a woman "see you next Tuesday", as I don't even know what that means. Are you feeling ok? :?: :?: :?:

LAX772LR

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:18 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
I've never called a woman "see you next Tuesday", as I don't even know what that means.

C U Next Tuesday

PacificBeach88

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:23 am

LAX772LR wrote:
PacificBeach88 wrote:
I've never called a woman "see you next Tuesday", as I don't even know what that means.

C U Next Tuesday

I learn something new every day! Thanks!

HGL

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:36 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
What in holy hell are you going on about? I've never called a woman "see you next Tuesday", as I don't even know what that means. Are you feeling ok? :?: :?: :?:

Yet you choose to berate me for "faux outrage". Now, perhaps you'll understand why I wrote the text that you quoted.

MaverickM11

Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:21 am

HGL wrote:
PacificBeach88 wrote:
HGL wrote:

So you too, despite your outrage being "genuine" rather than "faux" , see nothing wrong in calling a woman a "see you next Tuesday." Now why does that not surprise me? .

Yah blocking/delaying rights for hundreds of millions of women, LGBQT, and AIDS victims is sorta similar to me calling her a mean name. Except not at all. When I start calling for whole genders/races/sexualities to be treated as second class citizens, then we can compare notes and decide who is just as bad. The rulling stands: (dead #praiseHim) you-know-what.

Pellegrine

Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:36 am

Who the hell is she? Why do people (beyond her family) think she will be missed? I guess I missed the memo in US History class years ago.

Gurl BYE. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way to the hell that I don't even believe in. LOL

LAX772LR

Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:28 am

Pellegrine wrote:
Who the hell is she?

Someone who successfully managed to delay/stifle/stymie rights for women and LGBTs for decades.

Her personal opinions are not of note.
Her success in parlaying them into government policy, even if only for a time... is.

Pellegrine

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:46 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
Who the hell is she?

Someone who successfully managed to delay/stifle/stymie rights for women and LGBTs for decades.

Her personal opinions are not of note.
Her success in parlaying them into government policy, even if only for a time... is.

Like I said, "Bitch Bye!" Enjoy that dirty *** coffin.