Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bmacleod
Topic Author

Another POTUS on Mt Rushmore?

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:24 pm

My question is in two parts:

1.Will another POTUS be carved on Mt Rushmore?

2. If yes - a recent or current POTUS (Obama) or more likely a future POTUS?

Aesma

Re: Another POTUS on Mt Rushmore?

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:43 pm

No.

It would be fun to have a black dude, a woman, or a black woman, though, that would make for a change !

ArmitageShanks

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:44 pm

1. I doubt it.
2. If it were to happen I'd say the only one even likely to be considered would be FDR, but even that is a stretch.

Its a National Park so any major changes would be subject to congress/presidential approval and there's no way anything that political would pass. And I think that's a good thing in this instance.

jetblueguy22

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:09 pm

My understanding is they wouldn't be able to put another face on it because there isn't enough structural support. The politics behind it would be another nonstarter.

PacificBeach88

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:42 pm

If it's possible I'd like to see a national campaign to add FDR, JFK, or LBJ.

zckls04

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:53 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:

FDR is Satan to the far right. LBJ is too controversial for most liberals. JFK might be mutually acceptable, but he didn't really do anything except get shot.

I think it should be left as-is. It's meant to be a sculpture- i.e a piece of art- not a document of history. We shouldn't add to it for the same reason we shouldn't add recent figures from history into any other artwork.

Flighty

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:38 pm

Probably not a president, but another national hero may come along. Say one man saves us from another 9/11 or something like that. FDR I think is a good candidate. Truman, as well.

Or this: Image :D

PacificBeach88

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:25 pm

zckls04 wrote:
PacificBeach88 wrote:

FDR is Satan to the far right. LBJ is too controversial for most liberals. JFK might be mutually acceptable, but he didn't really do anything except get shot.

Ok, then we need to add a HRC sculpture. Or better yet, a two some with William Jefferson Clinton along with HRC. One on each side of the existing lineup. That would give wing nuts full-on apoplexy enough to have them keel over. LOL!

Here's Obama added to Mt. Rushmore......I love it!!!!!!!......:

seb146

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:32 pm

Structurally, it would be impossible. The original Mt. Rushmore sculpture had to be abandoned when the lower part of the mountain was found to not be the same quality rock as the top, IIRC.

Politically, the only one who would really be allowed to be talked about being added is St. Reagan. After all his adding to the debt and ballooning the deficit and increasing the size of government and granting amnesty to millions of immigrants, all conservatives think he is god.

falstaff

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:22 pm

I doubt anyone could even make a sculpture like that today, let alone add to it. The environmental movement would have a fit. There would be people chaining themselves to the rock in protest; not because of party politics, but to protect the rock itself. A lot of things could not be built today due to various regulations. Can you imagine the legal hoops that would be need to be jumped through if someone or organization wanted to build another transcontinental railroad line or build a dam similar to the Hoover Dam. The legal work would take all the money before the first shovel hits the dirt.

mham001

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:48 pm

The POC-only crowd would like to eliminate Washington and Jefferson from the face of US history.

KFLLCFII

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:07 pm

In this politically-correct era of first-this and first-that, I couldn't see any other figure allowed to be pushed through except Obama.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that ends up being one of his parting orders.

jetblueguy22

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:26 pm

seb146 wrote:
Structurally, it would be impossible. The original Mt. Rushmore sculpture had to be abandoned when the lower part of the mountain was found to not be the same quality rock as the top, IIRC.

Politically, the only one who would really be allowed to be talked about being added is St. Reagan. After all his adding to the debt and ballooning the deficit and increasing the size of government and granting amnesty to millions of immigrants, all conservatives think he is god.

Can't have a thread about politics without good old Seb bringing up those evil right wingers.

PacificBeach88

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:43 pm

falstaff wrote:
Can you imagine the legal hoops that would be need to be jumped through if someone or organization wanted to build another transcontinental railroad line or build a dam similar to the Hoover Dam.

Much less the outrage of using Chinese slave labor to build the transcontinental railroad?

"Three thousand Irish immigrants work mainly on the Union Pacific line going West to East. In 1866, 3,000 Chinese are hired and soon make up 75% of the Central Pacific (West to East) workforce of 10,000 to 12,000 men. Thought incapable of hard work, their boiling of water for green tea means they escape the dysentery that strikes down the Irish. And the Chinese are rarely drunk. The Irish live in tents and die instantly in avalanches."

http://www.history.co.uk/study-topics/h ... l-railroad

einsteinboricua

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:48 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:
In this politically-correct era of first-this and first-that, I couldn't see any other figure allowed to be pushed through except Obama.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that ends up being one of his parting orders.

Please, even I advocate for a certain degree of PC and still don't think Obama tops the list for having his face added to the mountain. He's high on the list, but FDR and LBJ rank higher (FDR for modernizing the American system with the New Deal, and LBJ for the passage of Civil Rights). And in case we have conservatives who whine about not having enough GOP figures up there, keep in mind that 2 already are (Lincoln and Teddy). If I were to add another Republican, Eisenhower would be the guy, and yes, I'd add Eisenhower before Obama.

LenPepperbottom

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:06 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
falstaff wrote:
Can you imagine the legal hoops that would be need to be jumped through if someone or organization wanted to build another transcontinental railroad line or build a dam similar to the Hoover Dam.

Much less the outrage of using Chinese slave labor to build the transcontinental railroad?

"Three thousand Irish immigrants work mainly on the Union Pacific line going West to East. In 1866, 3,000 Chinese are hired and soon make up 75% of the Central Pacific (West to East) workforce of 10,000 to 12,000 men. Thought incapable of hard work, their boiling of water for green tea means they escape the dysentery that strikes down the Irish. And the Chinese are rarely drunk. The Irish live in tents and die instantly in avalanches."

I never understood why they just went along with it. How about just walk away.

falstaff

Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:48 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:

The quote you use says they were hired. When you hire somebody that means they aren't a slave. The average Chinese worker was paid between $24 and $31 a month ($334-$431 in today's dollars), and eventually moved up to the same rate as white workers at $35. http://web.stanford.edu/group/chinesera ... ress/faqs/

If you consider those to be slave wages then you would have to consider the pay of a US soldier fighting for his country, in the same decade, to be a slave too. A Private was paid $13 a month and the top solider (Sergeant Major) was paid only $21. Every enlisted rank earned less than a Chinese Laborer. http://www.civilwar.org/education/histo ... s/pay.html

Why worry about that now anyway. I was talking about today.... If you built a trans continental railroad today you would need to employ both skilled and unskilled labor, using today's labor laws and regulations. Many of the skilled jobs would be with union labor and even the unskilled worked would likely pay well. DM&E couldn't build a couple hundred miles in the 1990s without being challenged out of existence. They wouldn't have used slaves. The Central Pacific-Union Pacific may have been the first, but it isn't the only Transcon line.

You could make the same argument for an airport. 75 years ago a city just bought a bunch of land and made an airport. Today they would be bogged down with environmental studies and legal challenges.

mham001 wrote:
The POC-only crowd would like to eliminate Washington and Jefferson from the face of US history.

They'd get rid of Roosevelt too, because he was a Republican.

]

seb146

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:40 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Can't have a thread about politics without good old Seb bringing up those evil right wingers.

mmmmm.... the shower of accolades and compliments feels so good :)

seb146

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:46 pm

LenPepperbottom wrote:
PacificBeach88 wrote:
falstaff wrote:

I never understood why they just went along with it. How about just walk away.

Many of the Chinese were given a bait-and-switch. They signed contracts but the white men had no intention of sticking to them. There were laws in many rural areas that outlawed Chinese from being seen. Some towns and cities in the American West have tunnels under them the Chinese built so they were not harassed as much.

The town I grew up in has made it a tourist attraction. Restoring about half of the Chinese underground city, including sleeping quarters, laundries, opium dens, and kitchens. There had even been a law where it was illegal for Chinese to be on the street after sundown. Any Chinese on the streets after dark could be shot and killed with no consequences to the shooter.

Plus, at $20 or $30 a month, they could not exactly run away and pay for passage back to China.

As far as Teddy Roosevelt, he may have been Republican, but he was champion of the environment. He would have to be taken down for being a RINO.

LMP737

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:57 pm

FDR: The right would go into heretics. Trolls like Pat Buchanan would come out from under their bridge to lecture us how evil he was.
LBJ: One word, Vietnam.
JFK: His claim to fame was getting shot.

If a new face were to go up it would have to be someone who has been out of office a long time. John Adams comes to mind.

Hillis

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:21 am

Right now, the only POTUS I think that deserves to be up there is Franklin Roosevelt, as he got the U.S. through two of the greatest crisis, maybe next to the Civil War, that the country has ever faced. And he did so with legs that didn't work. Other than that? Despite the deification of Ronald Reagan by the right, he has no business being there. Obama? Maybe a century down the road, after historians and Americans look back to see how good he actually did in the face of the "loyal oppostion" turning into a bunch of dimwits willing to destroy the nation to destroy Obama. But even then, I doubt it.

LMP737 wrote:
FDR: The right would go into heretics. Trolls like Pat Buchanan would come out from under their bridge to lecture us how evil he was.
LBJ: One word, Vietnam.
JFK: His claim to fame was getting shot.

If a new face were to go up it would have to be someone who has been out of office a long time. John Adams comes to mind.

Actually, JFK's greatest claim to fame is spurring the United States to go to the moon-and they did that in only 6 years after he first mentioned it, and a little less than six after he was assassinated.

falstaff wrote:

mham001 wrote:

They'd get rid of Roosevelt too, because he was a Republican.]

You couldn't just say "African-Americans", or "Asian-Americans" or "Hispanics"? The word "colored" is basically a slang from the Jim Crow era. It isn't a crowd, by the way, it's a group of people who this nation has shit upon for centuries.

But to the point, if you reed Teddy Roosevelt, he's far more like a modern Democrat than a Republican. He didn't like the wealthy and the powerful controlling everthing; he was very pro-Labor for his time. He's not a modern-day nut like today's GOP is full of.

photopilot

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:49 am

Well if the worst comes to pass and you guys elect Trump..... that megalomaniac will want his head carved onto Mt. Rushmore.
BUT WE'RE GOING TO MAKE HIM PAY FOR IT!!! LMAO!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

cpd

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:05 am

Should be George W Bush Jnr, he should be added on there so he can be remembered by future generations. I'm sure the Republicans here will support this idea.

PacificBeach88

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:37 am

cpd wrote:
Should be George W Bush Jnr, he should be added on there so he can be remembered by future generations. I'm sure the Republicans here will support this idea.

LMAO! I still doubt GW Bush will be named after anything other than a child's art gallery. LOL!

Hillis

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:49 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
cpd wrote:

LMAO! I still doubt GW Bush will be named after anything other than a child's art gallery. LOL!

If the GOP ever gets control of the works, he'll get an Aircraft Carrier named after him.

cpd

Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:28 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
cpd wrote:

Come on, I'm being serious! I mean, he increased patriotism and the world got freedom fries during his reign, among a number of other great achievements. I'm pretty sure I can find plenty of Republicans singing his praises back at the time. Naturally, they will all still agree with their previous sentiments. :)

mham001

Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:31 am

Hillis wrote:
You couldn't just say "African-Americans", or "Asian-Americans" or "Hispanics"? The word "colored" is basically a slang from the Jim Crow era. It isn't a crowd, by the way, it's a group of people who this nation has shit upon for centuries.

No, I wouldn't say that, it is insulting. Apparently you aren't aware that 'POC' is officially approved by "People of Color"? Translation is "everybody but whites". Or, are you saying I, as a (presumed) white man, am not allowed to use the term?

Hillis

Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:34 am

mham001 wrote:
Hillis wrote:

No, I wouldn't say that, it is insulting. Apparently you aren't aware that 'POC' is officially approved by "People of Color"? Translation is "everybody but whites". Or, are you saying I, as a (presumed) white man, am not allowed to use the term?

I don't care. I think what you said was insulting, so I guess we're even.

mham001

Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:57 am

Hillis wrote:
mham001 wrote:
Hillis wrote:

I don't care. I think what you said was insulting, so I guess we're even.

Then you need to have a talk with all the "people of color" who are using the term today. Get with the times. And yes, people of color are trying to wipe the history of Washington and Jefferson from history, yesterday the SF school board started talking about renaming Washington High School.

"People of color are allowed to create safe POC only spaces," one minority student said when called out for the overt racism. "It is not reverse racism or discriminatory, it is self[-]preservation."
http://www.dailywire.com/news/8259/poc- ... es-barrett

zckls04

Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:13 am

mham001 wrote:
Apparently you aren't aware that 'POC' is officially approved by "People of Color"?

Yes, because they're all a homogenous unit.

And yes, people of color are trying to wipe the history of Washington and Jefferson from history, yesterday the SF school board started talking about renaming Washington High School.

Oh no, if they do that how will anybody remember who George Washington was?

seb146

Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:23 am

mham001 wrote:
Then you need to have a talk with all the "people of color" who are using the term today. Get with the times. And yes, people of color are trying to wipe the history of Washington and Jefferson from history, yesterday the SF school board started talking about renaming Washington High School.

One guy on the Board of Supervisors wants the SF School District to remove names of slave holders. "Wiping the history of" those two is hyperbole.

Flaps

Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:02 pm

I'd like to see Edward Snowden up there. Obama would just screw it up like most things he touches.

dmg626

Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Could never be done, would go something like this..

After an exhaustive 20 year review by a bi partisan committee, a decision has finally been made to narrow down the field to 5 presidents, a final decision will be made when the environmental review is done which will be fast tracked and done in another 20 years. Work can finally begin but osha has mandated zero tolerance for any injury including a hangnail, the Eeoc has mandated the job must include equal parts white/black male/female straight/gay transgender/bi sexual legal/illegal immigrants. Job site was shutdown by lawsuits over Union/non Union and the final straw is a recluse spider nest was found a mile away making this a protected site

WIederling

Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Aesma wrote:
No.

It would be fun to have a black dude, a woman, or a black woman, though, that would make for a change !

Skin colour doesn't carry very well onto stone :-)

Though keep in mind that pure and classic plain marble statues may well have been garishly coloured
at their time of instantiation.

PacificBeach88

Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:34 pm