Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 4964
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Abdominal pain thread

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:09 pm

Well here we go again. This time I'm already at the ER, they did a ultrasound (my first ultrasound!!!) 'cause the ER doc thinks maybe something gall bladder-y.

I sure hope not, but if it is then I hope it can be fixed with maybe a lithotripsy? Hate the thought of having an organ removed; though I can't profess more of a specific emotional attachment to my gall bladder than to certain other organs.

Part of me wants to complain about being stuck here inside on a gorgeous fall day but I remind myself of what a pungently lucky bastard I am to have access to high-quality professional medimacal care, let alone insurance.

We must always count our blessings.
 
Ken777
Posts: 10197
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: Abdominal pain thread

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Good luck with getting your problems treated quickly and successfully.

I had a gall stone develop a few years ago - the Doc could see it on the ultrasound display from across the room.

He loaded me up with antibiotics, nausea meds and pain pills (they all worked really well) to get me into the surgery schedule.

Surgery was trivial. We drove into the hospital parking lot at 11 am and out at 3:30 pm. Laparoscopic surgery handles gall bladders with ease, leaving me with minimal discomfort.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8387
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Abdominal pain thread

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Airstud wrote:
stuck here inside on a gorgeous fall day


It's not Fall yet.

Airstud wrote:
they did a ultrasound


Results?

Airstud wrote:
Hate the thought of having an organ removed;


I've had a couple of bones removed, can't say I really miss them. My take on it: if it's more trouble than it's worth, and you can function, without too much impact on lifestyle, without it...make it go away.
 
User avatar
PacificBeach88
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:23 pm

Airstud wrote:
Well here we go again. This time I'm already at the ER, they did a ultrasound (my first ultrasound!!!) 'cause the ER doc thinks maybe something gall bladder-y.


That pain? That's your soul leaving you. :P LOL!

But, in all seriousness feel better soon.
 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 4964
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: Abdominal pain thread

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:46 am

fr8mech wrote:
Airstud wrote:
stuck here inside on a gorgeous fall day


It's not Fall yet.




OK Sheldon.
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: Abdominal pain thread

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:59 am

Get in and get it done.

I'm in week 5 of recovery after a triple bypass. It wasn't as horrendous as you might expect; in fact all I remember of the op itself was the anaesthetists talking about something or other and suddenly I was in the ICU with a dressing on my chest and a scar up my right leg.

Surgery these days is rarely as traumatic or painful as it used to be. Gall bladder surgery used to be a major operation; now it's so routine it is almost minor surgery. My op gets you mobile on Day 1 after the surgery and by Day 5 potentially able to go home. Yours might be as little as a couple of days in hospital and almost no discomfort.
 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 4964
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: Abdominal pain thread

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:15 am

Thanks, but we don't even know if that's where this is going. (Doc thinks it might just be a pinched nerve.)

Let's keep the horse before the cart.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8387
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Abdominal pain thread

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:22 am

So, you been in the hospital all night? Any update?
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2975
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: Abdominal pain thread

Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:55 pm

Hey Airstud,

Thought I'd pass along encouragement and an observation. Since so many organs are crammed into your abdomen, one organ in distress can radiate pain and disruption to other organs. So sometimes it's hard to identify the problem. Your medical team may very well have honed in on the problem, but if they come up empty handed, keep persisting until they find an answer for you.

Several years ago I had severe abdominal distress and lost nearly 40 pounds along the way as I couldn't retain calories in any shape or form. I found that when doctors of a particular specialty came up with null results, they would shrug and tell me nothing was wrong. It was up to me to persist - and to try to find some other medical avenue to explore on my own. It was an aggravating process, but I'm glad I persisted, as they finally found the definitive problem and solved it.

So all I'm saying is persist, persist, persist until you get a credible diagnosis and treatment plan for whatever ails you.

Wishing you the best of health and a quick resolution.
 
winstonlegthigh
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Abdominal pain thread

Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:33 pm

I had my gall bladder removed three years ago. Onset was sudden, and it felt like what I imagine a gunshot to the abdomen feels like. Didn't know what it was initially, so I drove home from work and tried to sleep through it. Once it was apparent that this wasn't going to work, it was off to the ER. Good luck- hopefully it's better than my experience.
 
User avatar
PacificBeach88
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Abdominal pain thread

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:02 pm

mbmbos wrote:
Hey Airstud,

Thought I'd pass along encouragement and an observation. Since so many organs are crammed into your abdomen, one organ in distress can radiate pain and disruption to other organs. So sometimes it's hard to identify the problem. Your medical team may very well have honed in on the problem, but if they come up empty handed, keep persisting until they find an answer for you.

Several years ago I had severe abdominal distress and lost nearly 40 pounds along the way as I couldn't retain calories in any shape or form. I found that when doctors of a particular specialty came up with null results, they would shrug and tell me nothing was wrong. It was up to me to persist - and to try to find some other medical avenue to explore on my own. It was an aggravating process, but I'm glad I persisted, as they finally found the definitive problem and solved it.

So all I'm saying is persist, persist, persist until you get a credible diagnosis and treatment plan for whatever ails you.

Wishing you the best of health and a quick resolution.


What did the problem end up being????
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 4270
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Abdominal pain thread

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Several years ago I had severe abdominal distress and lost nearly 40 pounds along the way as I couldn't retain calories in any shape or form. I found that when doctors of a particular specialty came up with null results, they would shrug and tell me nothing was wrong.

Man, that sounds eerily similar to what I experienced. I didn't lose that much weight but it was a substantial amount. In my case, they never did figure out what it was, but it ended up going away on its own after about four months. Hasn't come back so who the hell knows? One of the docs told me there's hundreds of nasty little bacteria and viruses around that can cause abdominal issues and that sometimes you just have to let them run their course. They did a whole battery of tests on me and all they could tell me is there was nothing really serious going on (I guess that was an effort to put my mind at ease).
 
oly720man
Posts: 5813
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 7:13 am

Re: Abdominal pain thread

Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:28 pm

I had my gall bladder out in 1995 or something via keyhole surgery. The ultrasound showed a rockery and it was basically full of gravel. I can't say I've missed it. A reduced fat diet is recommended, but I don't eat much of that anyway.
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2975
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: Abdominal pain thread

Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:50 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
Hey Airstud,

Thought I'd pass along encouragement and an observation. Since so many organs are crammed into your abdomen, one organ in distress can radiate pain and disruption to other organs. So sometimes it's hard to identify the problem. Your medical team may very well have honed in on the problem, but if they come up empty handed, keep persisting until they find an answer for you.

Several years ago I had severe abdominal distress and lost nearly 40 pounds along the way as I couldn't retain calories in any shape or form. I found that when doctors of a particular specialty came up with null results, they would shrug and tell me nothing was wrong. It was up to me to persist - and to try to find some other medical avenue to explore on my own. It was an aggravating process, but I'm glad I persisted, as they finally found the definitive problem and solved it.

So all I'm saying is persist, persist, persist until you get a credible diagnosis and treatment plan for whatever ails you.

Wishing you the best of health and a quick resolution.


What did the problem end up being????



Spinal stenosis. Basically my spinal column was being crushed by a bulging disc. No back pain whatsoever, which is why it was so difficult to diagnose. It's rare that the condition causes organ dysfunction but there are well documented cases, and that's what happened to me. Eventually I had to have surgery on my back. Following surgery I was instantly better.

But the medical journey I went on was daunting. My regular internist ran out of ideas. I met with several specialists including rheumatologists, gastroenterologists, etc. I even had a gastroenterologist suggest that all I needed was a good psychiatrist. Took five years to figure it all out.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: B717fan, casinterest, emperortk, fallap, Reinhardt, StarAC17 and 31 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos