Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dc10lover

Re: Why Does Everyone In The U.S. Seem To Be Angry?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:41 am

Look around. People are stressed out over the Presidential Election. People are angry over all the cop shootings. The economy / true unemployment. People are angry over endless wars. The list goes on.

FreequentFlier

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:48 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Believe me, I am very open minded, and I get along with almost everyone I meet. I just don't believe in damn in someone whose opinion even slightly deviates from your own. It's just that there are no more people in this country that are open to a constructive and educated argument. It's like walking on eggshells.

That must be sooooooo awful for you. Not being able to express your opinion on minority issues and rights. That's sad you feel so vercletmpt about openly expressing how you as a white, straight, male, millennial, feels to all of your coworkers who aren't. How do you cope???

PacificBeach88 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
You're adding to the truth behind this meme, PacificBeach88.

Good! Maybe that will help you to not mansplain things to your female coworkers too.

I'm about as anti-Trump as they come (ie "Never Trump"), particularly since I have some conservative viewpoints, so I view this whole election more as a referee than an advocate for either leading candidates, who are both horrible. With that said, the above comments are probably more illustrative of why the Trump campaign has come to pass than anything else. The left have become absolutely insufferable dullards.

PacificBeach88

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:18 pm

FreequentFlier wrote:
I'm about as anti-Trump as they come (ie "Never Trump"), particularly since I have some conservative viewpoints, so I view this whole election more as a referee than an advocate for either leading candidates, who are both horrible. With that said, the above comments are probably more illustrative of why the Trump campaign has come to pass than anything else. The left have become absolutely insufferable dullards.

Ted Cruz supporter then?

I do enjoy reading RedState and as of late Glenn Beck's meltdown/s.

Calder

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:29 pm

There's always been some amount of "hate and discontent" where I was born/raised/live. It's one of the most economically depressed areas in the country (per capita income <20k, and median household income <30k). Those who can't figure out how to live beneath their means are always mad at something, and generally, it's the government. Those who can figure out how to live beneath their means tend to do alright. About ~16% of the county lives below poverty, that number jumps to ~20% if you only count those below 18.

From my own observations, money is the biggest stress contributor. Although if you gave everybody a million dollars, they would just find something else to bitch about.

LenPepperbottom

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:52 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:

Ted Cruz supporter then?

What's going on with Beck? I love a good holy-man meltdown.

salttee

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:22 pm

sccutler wrote:
the effort to have government "fix" social ills virtually always (1) fails to fix, and (2) reduces liberty - for everyone.

This is just a variation on a meaningless cliche.

The government's efforts to bring equality and justice to the plight of the (what was then) disenfranchised black community from the time of the integration of the military in 1948 and the 1954 school desegregation order has had enormous positive effect and has "reduced liberty" only for ignorant obstructionists and exploiters

The government's efforts to bring equality and justice for women has had enormous positive effect and has "reduced liberty" only for ignorant obstructionists and exploiters.

The government's efforts to protect children from pedophiles may have "failed to fix" the root problem, but it has saved hundreds of thousands or millions of kids from abuse with only trivial reduction of "liberty" for any affected innocent parties.

The government's efforts to bring equality and justice for gay persons has had enormous positive effect and has "reduced liberty" only for the ignorant.

The government's efforts to make accords for the handicapped has had enormous positive effect even if this positive effect is invisible to some. These efforts have, to a slight extent, reduced liberty for the non-handicapped for a huge gain quality of lifestyle for people, who but for the grace of god, might have been you.

None of these government policies were hatched in some back room of "the government", they all sprang from the enlightened segment of the populace: these ideas are "of the people." These people lobbied the government to implement corrections for these ills because "the government" is the only entity which has the power to effect change. We're all sorry if it has stepped on your toes at times, but you'll just have to get used to it - and hopefully stop whining.

I find it disgusting that some ignorant people continue to teach their children things like, "the effort to have government "fix" social ills virtually always (1) fails to fix, and (2) reduces liberty - for everyone" thereby perpetuating ignorance to the next generation.

DfwRevolution

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:56 pm

Short answer: I think the United States is a country of aspirational people, so there's always something we don't have, whether that is material or abstract. It's the chief reason why I think those international "happiness indexes" are BS. What makes Americans happy (or unhappy) is different than what makes Scandinavians happy (or unhappy).

Kiwirob

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:30 pm

I think the answer to the problem is many decades of underfunding education, people aren't equipped to deal with life like they used to be.

PacificBeach88

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:36 pm

LenPepperbottom wrote:

What's going on with Beck? I love a good holy-man meltdown.

First off, his media broadcasting "empire" has been cut by 60%, and staff have left in droves. Beck is suing his old business partner of 22 years. Additionally, Beck became a #NeverTrump advocate and I shit you not, claimed Ted Cruz was sent by God himself to be the Republican nominee. When that didn't happen, Beck whined and cried. Oh, how Mormon God has disappointed Beck.

Last week once Cruz showed he was nothing more than a typical craven politician Beck threatened to "go off into the mountains" he was so disappointed in his personal political Mormon Jesus, Joseph Smith.

Additionally, watching the RedStates crowd gnash their teeth against their former Breitbart kin is too much fun too.

PacificBeach88

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
I think the answer to the problem is many decades of underfunding education, people aren't equipped to deal with life like they used to be.

I can see that.

vikkyvik

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:16 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
Short answer: I think the United States is a country of aspirational people, so there's always something we don't have, whether that is material or abstract. It's the chief reason why I think those international "happiness indexes" are BS. What makes Americans happy (or unhappy) is different than what makes Scandinavians happy (or unhappy).

That doesn't mean the happiness indexes are BS. It might mean we should reconsider what makes us happy.

Besides, Americans are extremely varied as well.

(I'm not defending the happiness indexes as such; I don't really care about them)

jetblueguy22

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:13 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

The US spends 31% more on primary/secondary education than the average country. Problem isn't money spent, it's the parents.

dfwjim1

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:35 pm

My $.02...I think the degree of anger depends on what state/region one lives in. I have traveled to all 50 states at one time or the other and I have found that people who live in the Western and Pacific states are generally the most happiest while those who live on the Eastern Seaboard are generally the most unhappy and aggressive. Those who live in Midwest and Southern states seem to fall somewhere in the middle. Of course this is not a scientific study - just my observations.

Aaron747

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:20 am

cpd wrote:
I think some of the angry people in the USA living in a fairly nice home and driving a reasonably decent car would do well to live in the shoes of those far less fortunate for a bit of a reality check.

People in the USA by and large have been pretty fortunate to live in a very stable country.

A lot of people in the US suffer from fishbowl syndrome...but that's exactly why they are unlikely to travel overseas and gain better perspective.

On a more micro level, the most ignorant Japanese people I encounter are from rural areas, watch only domestic TV, and have no exposure to people or ideas from elsewhere. This is exactly what I find when I see certain Trump fans. People only know what they know, and that's a problem when perspective is everything.

FreequentFlier

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:00 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:

Ted Cruz supporter then?

Nope, try again though.

The whole social justice warrior thing has been played out and people are sick and tired of it. A perfect example are the Washington Redskins. You had a whole bunch of progressives yammering about how this was the most racist name ever. Well, they took a poll of Native Americans, and it turned out 90% weren't bothered by the name:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ne ... story.html

So naturally, the progressives went on to bash Native Americans for being stupid for not being offended....because that's what you guys do.

So if Trump becomes presidency, then clearly the Republicans deserve a majority of the blame, but the left isn't blameless. Trump wasn't created in a vacuum.

And the left, having demonized the hell out of every previous Republican candidate, (including Mitt f'n Romney!), as the devil incarnate, has cried wolf enough times that the wolf has now arrived. And to the lay person, who doesn't follow politics much, the left's criticisms sound like the same old, same old...because they are. And if you think I'm exaggerating, here's Josh Whedon, Hollywood liberal of high caliber, proclaiming that a Romney victory would be akin to a zombie apocalypse all the way back in...2012. Watch this in hindsight and then honestly ask yourself if the previous attacks weren't perhaps a tad over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBewrP1X_is

The left, having won the culture war in some avenues, decided to go around and start shooting the survivors. Well the survivors have decided to shoot back. The right should receive most of the blame, but the Left shares some responsibility for the rise of Donald Trump as well. The chickens are coming home to roost.

FreequentFlier

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:03 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
My $.02...I think the degree of anger depends on what state/region one lives in. I have traveled to all 50 states at one time or the other and I have found that people who live in the Western and Pacific states are generally the most happiest while those who live on the Eastern Seaboard are generally the most unhappy and aggressive. Those who live in Midwest and Southern states seem to fall somewhere in the middle. Of course this is not a scientific study - just my observations.

Trump was largely a product of the Eastern seaboard. He actually did best in the primary in "enlightened" blue states like New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, etc.

seb146

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:30 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
PacificBeach88 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:

Ted Cruz supporter then?

Nope, try again though.

The whole social justice warrior thing has been played out and people are sick and tired of it. A perfect example are the Washington Redskins. You had a whole bunch of progressives yammering about how this was the most racist name ever. Well, they took a poll of Native Americans, and it turned out 90% weren't bothered by the name:

So naturally, the progressives went on to bash Native Americans for being stupid for not being offended....because that's what you guys do.

So if Trump becomes presidency, then clearly the Republicans deserve a majority of the blame, but the left isn't blameless. Trump wasn't created in a vacuum.

And the left, having demonized the hell out of every previous Republican candidate, (including Mitt f'n Romney!), as the devil incarnate, has cried wolf enough times that the wolf has now arrived. And to the lay person, who doesn't follow politics much, the left's criticisms sound like the same old, same old...because they are. And if you think I'm exaggerating, here's Josh Whedon, Hollywood liberal of high caliber, proclaiming that a Romney victory would be akin to a zombie apocalypse all the way back in...2012. Watch this in hindsight and then honestly ask yourself if the previous attacks weren't perhaps a tad over the top.

The left, having won the culture war in some avenues, decided to go around and start shooting the survivors. Well the survivors have decided to shoot back. The right should receive most of the blame, but the Left shares some responsibility for the rise of Donald Trump as well. The chickens are coming home to roost.

Nope. Try again. That "poll" you cite was 500 anonymous surveyed on the telephone. It looks like Natives are offended by these team names.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jay-rosen ... 99688.html

Pesky facts....

PacificBeach88

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:54 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
Nope, try again though.

What the heck does the Washington Redskins have to do with Ted Cruz????? I'm lost.

coolian2

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:55 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:
Nope, try again though.

What the heck does the Washington Redskins have to do with Ted Cruz????? I'm lost.

They're both trash?

FreequentFlier

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:59 am

seb146 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:
PacificBeach88 wrote:

Ted Cruz supporter then?

Nope, try again though.

Nope. Try again. That "poll" you cite was 500 anonymous surveyed on the telephone. It looks like Natives are offended by these team names.

Pesky facts....

What a garbage article. First it engages in poll trutherism/"unskewing" by claiming we shouldn't believe what anybody self identifies as in a poll. By that logic, we shouldn't trust any poll whatsoever because respondents are regularly colluding to misrepresent their race, their characteristics, etc.

Then it argues that the viewpoints of tribal leaders are indicative of all members of the rank and file tribes. By this logic, once Trump or Hillary become President, they can claim to speak on behalf of everyone. Do you actually believe that? Of course not. So why would you believe it here?

Like I said, just a complete garbage article.

FreequentFlier

Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:04 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:
Nope, try again though.

Nothing, but do try to follow the thread. I realize it's complicated but you're capable. My guess is Trump will lose but you should wise up if you don't want a repeat. You can bury your head in the sand and pretend that everything is fine and roughly half the country are racist rednecks - that's your prerogative. Or you can actually try to understand why roughly half of Democrats voted for Bernie Sanders in the Dem primary, and why Trump won in the GOP primary. Because if you choose to ignore it, then sooner or later a "smarter Trump" is going to come along, and they're going to win.

seb146

Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:25 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
seb146 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:

Nope, try again though.

Pesky facts....

What a garbage article. First it engages in poll trutherism/"unskewing" by claiming we shouldn't believe what anybody self identifies as in a poll. By that logic, we shouldn't trust any poll whatsoever because respondents are regularly colluding to misrepresent their race, their characteristics, etc.

Then it argues that the viewpoints of tribal leaders are indicative of all members of the rank and file tribes. By this logic, once Trump or Hillary become President, they can claim to speak on behalf of everyone. Do you actually believe that? Of course not. So why would you believe it here?

Like I said, just a complete garbage article.

Funny because the right says Obama speaks for all "liberals" and the left says Fox speaks for all "right wingers."

The author of the article actually went out the Native Americans and asked if they were offended by the names and a large majority of them said they were. The article I cited points out the author of that article asked thousands in person, while the other poll called 500 anonymous on the phone.

Which numbers would you trust? Talking directly, face to face in person or anonymous on the phone?

seb146

Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:41 am

*shakes fist*

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

That is what I really wanted to say at first, but this thread took a turn, so

Kiwirob

Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:32 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

The US spends 31% more on primary/secondary education than the average country. Problem isn't money spent, it's the parents.

If that's the case why are schools having classes with 30 plus students in them, why is the cost of university education so high, leaving many unable to go or if they do financially screwed for life, finally why would you measure against the average country, you should be measuring against first world countries, especially the likes of Finland.

bmacleod

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:49 pm

Here in Canada consensus seems to be at least Hillary will negotiate and talk about trade conflicts whereas Trump will just slam the door on us. :evil:

Flighty

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:01 pm

Like sccutler said, anger is an emotion that is profitable for certain people and corporations. And I include all political groups (including say, the NRA and BLM). They are trying to make a name for themselves and make a living, nothing more.

There is a general turmoil in the West that is largely due to the opposing forces of globalism and democracy. A democratic, rich country does not wish to globalize. The rich can try to coax the riches out of the middle class, by prodding them and calling them names. That shouldn't surprise us. But the middle class should not eagerly pursue global wages. Those wages are very low! A schoolteacher in the USA often lives in a 2,000 sq foot house and has 2 cars. In a global wage scenario, that teacher should live in a mud hut. If you are George Soros, that sounds adorable. All the commoners and rabble can live in their mud huts. It must seem very quaint to him.

I am much more interested in the good life of the middle, and upper middle classes than I am in the well being of the 0.1%.

To answer your question, a lot of people's living standards in the USA have been going down. The affluent are becoming middle class. The middle class are becoming lower class / being rejected from the workforce. To lose one's social standing and identity poisons the mind. I saw it happen to airline pilots. There is no anger like that.

YZF101

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:59 pm

bmacleod wrote:
Here in Canada consensus seems to be at least Hillary will negotiate and talk about trade conflicts whereas Trump will just slam the door on us. :evil:

I'm thinking you have it rather wrong, as the consensus in Canada is as messed up and screwy as it is south of the 49th.

If there is ever a time we don't need politicians, it is now. Seems many in the US are fed up with the finger pointing, social engineering of the "left". There is very much the "we know better than you because....we just do." And that is pretty evident here in Canada as well.

There's nothing like setting parts of your population off against other parts, all in the name of "unity", or "diversity", or other 'visions of unicorns and flowers' ideologies.

We, in Canada, were sold a bill of goods by the usual bunch of entitled 'rulers', and it seems, unfortunately, the same can be seen down South. And add to that the constant cries of 'spend spend spend' of the government while level headed people from across the spectrum say 'we're tapped out'! Where does it end, when everyone is reduced to one class - slightly above poverty levels? (yeah, a slight exagerration, but not by as much as you might think).

A few points were made by some about being constantly yelled down, talked down to, because some (the very vocal minority) don't like being told their engineering plans were illogical. Very true - if you don't agree, you are set upon like a flock of vultures on a (very) large carcass.

Unhappy? No, not necessarily. Tired of being beaten down and talked down to and lied to and dissed at (a ploy used by both Obama and Trudeau) from overseas. And yes, it was mentioned before too that we just wanna be left alone to raise our families and make a living and not be ground down into dust by 'those who know better'. Very tiresome.

Maybe it is time for someone like Trump. And it was said too, that the "Left" brought on Trump, and that really does sit on their doorstep. It's certainly not time for Hillary or Obama ver. 2. Bernie, maybe, but certainly not Clinton or any of that type of "reigning family".

PacificBeach88

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:36 pm

FreequentFlier wrote:
Nothing, but do try to follow the thread. I realize it's complicated but you're capable. My guess is Trump will lose but you should wise up if you don't want a repeat. You can bury your head in the sand and pretend that everything is fine and roughly half the country are racist rednecks - that's your prerogative. Or you can actually try to understand why roughly half of Democrats voted for Bernie Sanders in the Dem primary, and why Trump won in the GOP primary. Because if you choose to ignore it, then sooner or later a "smarter Trump" is going to come along, and they're going to win.

LMAO! That's EXACTLY what I figured your nonsense was about. Sure, go ahead and rage against non-white America. Go for it. It looks like Hillary will be winning again in 2016. For your white only, male only, crowd to win ends this year. If you can't win this year, you can't win in 2020. LOL!

Republicans don't realize demographics are killing them. The Republican party WILL JETTISON the racist, old, white, straight, guys from their party if they don't win in 2016. They may give it one more go with Ted Cruz, but after that, no white Republican will win the Presidential nomination again for 16 years.

Mortyman

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:04 am

Some suggestions:

* Police brutality
* Racesism
* US politicians that don't seem to be able to work together and actually govern
* The divide between rich and poor and the 1 %
* Housing market
* Wallstreet
* US loss of credibility around the world
* Americans tired of war, not seeing positive results
* Loss of democracy in the US )
* Money in politics

FreequentFlier

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:10 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:

LMAO! That's EXACTLY what I figured your nonsense was about. Sure, go ahead and rage against non-white America. Go for it. It looks like Hillary will be winning again in 2016. For your white only, male only, crowd to win ends this year. If you can't win this year, you can't win in 2020. LOL!

Republicans don't realize demographics are killing them. The Republican party WILL JETTISON the racist, old, white, straight, guys from their party if they don't win in 2016. They may give it one more go with Ted Cruz, but after that, no white Republican will win the Presidential nomination again for 16 years.

Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump are definitely not "my crowd", in any way, shape or form. But they don't have to be, for me to at least try to understand what drove their success this year. It's a sign of intellectual curiosity, and you may want to consider it.

Meanwhile, your comments are incredibly boring and predictable. 2/3rds or greater of the country have said the country has been on the wrong track for the last 15 years, your party nominee barely beat an independent socialist candidate, we just had a vote where the UK decided to voluntarily leave the EU, and here you are, whistling past the graveyard as if everything is "normal".

apodino

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:20 pm

I personally am not angry, but I am very worried. In just over a month, we are going to elect one of the most unqualified people to ever hold the oval office (I believe this is true of both candidates) and I am scared to death of both of them, for different reasons. Hillary scares me because she strikes me as very untrustworthy and very much in bed with Wall Street and the top 1 percent. The policies she is proposing may look good on paper, but I do believe they will worsen the very problems they are trying to solve. What really scares me is the supreme court, and I am much more worried about the type of Justices Clinton would appoint than those of what Trump would appoint. Trump is a racist, warmonger, womanizer, and any other bad words you can think of. His philosophy seems to be shoot first, ask questions later. He is very quick to jump to conclusions, and there are concerns that I have with him such as Union issues, parental leave, and issues such as that. Plus I just think that even if he got elected, there would be so much anger from others in this country that no matter what he did to try to unite the Country, he would never be able to. So I can not in good conscious vote for either of these people. And we have no real alternatives. Gary Johnson I thought would be a strong third party candidate, but he has committed gaffe after gaffe and there is no way he can be serious. Jill Stein is way too left for my liking. I am about ready to conclude that I will be forced to write in Darrell Castle.

But there is a lot of other things in this world that worry me, and I honestly am not convinced these problems are going to get solved politically. Racial tensions have flared up big time in the past few years. I am not pointing fingers at why, but I honestly believe that this issue is not going to be solved politically. It has to be solved at the grass roots. I can throw out lots of rehashed statistics on what is going on in the black community, but I do believe change has to come from within. I noticed today that Ha Ha Clinton Dix of the Green Bay Packers is starting to take action to deal with this problem. I applaud him for this.

One other thing that worries me is how much hate and disrespect there is in this world. I am a right-leaning independent in my politics. However I have friends who are Liberal, Conservative, Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Transexual, religious, secular...basically all over the place, and I love them all equally. A lot of people have a hard time with this, and it makes me sad. I do think much of this is driven by the Media. The Huffington Post, Breitbart, Daily Kos, and Hotair all post some of the most vile and disgusting stuff I have ever seen. Reading the headlines of these sites is scary. And notice this is on both sides. No room for a respectful debate. And the comment sections of these sites are even worse. I just don't get how people can be this low and disrespectful. The politicians and the media love this too. And it makes me sick. I grew up in the Northeast and I have lived in a number of states in my lifetime, and racial tensions were much worse in Blue States than Red States.

So I am not angry. But very worried about our country. There is a lot more I could say on this, and I will do so as it comes to my head.

dc10lover

Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:13 am

When we have a direct war with Russia, not just a proxy war (Syria), nothing else will matter. I am very concerned about all the Muslims entering our Country. Even ISIS being in our Country.

zckls04

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:48 pm

FreequentFlier wrote:
And the left, having demonized the hell out of every previous Republican candidate, (including Mitt f'n Romney!), as the devil incarnate, has cried wolf enough times that the wolf has now arrived.

I can't think of any two candidates in history who have been demonized to the same extent as Obama and Clinton. Romney got off incredibly lightly by comparison; McCain even more so.

I don't agree with the premise either. The Republicans are solely responsible for the mess they find themselves in. If you spend enough time attacking women and minorites, traditional politics and political correctness, then guess what- you're going to get a misogynistic, racist, unqualified oaf as a candidate.

Dutchy

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:02 pm

dc10lover wrote:
When we have a direct war with Russia, not just a proxy war (Syria), nothing else will matter. I am very concerned about all the Muslims entering our Country. Even ISIS being in our Country.

America and Russia aint going to have a direct war.

Muslims entering the US? How many are there? Clinton wants 65k Syrians to be taken in, well The Netherlands did that last year and we are with only 17m, or 5% of the American population. It is a non issue. I think if you take the last 20 attacks or terrorist attacks, then you will find that most of them are staged by non moslims. Much more people are killed by guns in the US then by terrorist.

WIederling

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:09 pm

Boeing717200 wrote:
Indeed. He might be more effective if he didn't come off like an 16 year old troll.

You obviously have to make up your own mind based on facts. If you misjudge the quality of sources ...

Nowhere is it written that relevant information has to be packaged to your liking and placed in your lap for easy consumption.