Topic Author

RIP Arnold Palmer

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:51 am

dead at 87.

met him a few times. good man.

LittleFokker

Re: RIP Arnold Palmer

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:14 am

The man responsible for putting golf on television, quite the shocking news.

I never got the chance to meet the man himself, but my father did while he was a young, struggling tour pro in the early 70s. During a practice round for a tournament, the pace of play was very slow, and dad, who was on the front nine at the time, thought he saw an opportunity to skip ahead to the 15th. Just as he teed off, the Army approached, and from among the army walked Arnie himself. Dad, who was about a split second from shitting his pants, was obviously nervous, but Arnie reached out and said "Hi, I'm Arnold, may I join you?" The two played the last four holes together, had a pleasant conversation, and after they finished, shook hands and parted ways, Arnie taking his army with him. Dad was left alone and awestruck.

An excellent role model who won and loss with equal class. RIP to the King.

PacificBeach88

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:06 am

I think AP will go down as someone who made golf into the peak that it was. Probably too the drink Arnold Palmer. I still don't know who Harvey Wallbanger is, but know he's a drink.....drunk???

Arnold played as a generation of Baby Boomers lusted for golf and to live on golf courses. These days, golf is suffering greatly. Most young people aren't interested in playing it, or paying $1 extra to live on a golf course. Arnold will be a keynote player/booster in the golden days of golf.

Godspeed, Arnold.

LenPepperbottom

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:31 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
I think AP will go down as someone who made golf into the peak that it was. Probably too the drink Arnold Palmer. I still don't know who Harvey Wallbanger is, but know he's a drink.....drunk???

Arnold played as a generation of Baby Boomers lusted for golf and to live on golf courses. These days, golf is suffering greatly. Most young people aren't interested in playing it, or paying $1 extra to live on a golf course. Arnold will be a keynote player/booster in the golden days of golf.

Godspeed, Arnold.

Juuuuust enough troll. My hat is off to you, and to AP.

WarRI1

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:18 am

I was one of his fans. He did alright in life. A Champion one could respect.