flyingturtle
Topic Author

The Flat Earth and Aviation

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:58 pm

Enjoy.

I deny any responsiblity for your mental pains and injuries. Read the piece on your own risk.

http://www.philipstallings.com/2015/07/ ... truth.html

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Tugger

Re: The Flat Earth and Aviation

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:17 pm

Wow....
That's right up there with something I posted a few months ago about the willful ignorance of some people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLE-ocDoXrs

"How is it possible for it to land standing straight up?!?" It is all a conspiracy to prove "the ball earth".

Gotta love how many people live on a river... called: Denial ;-)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

desertjets

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:29 pm

I feel stupider for having read that and a bit into the comments. Guess I am just a sheeple for believing big gravities lies all these years.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:44 pm

I feel really sorry for this guy who has not the simplest understanding of physics.

But I genuinely love the flat earth theory. When you're bored, you can try to make the world conform to this crazy idea - how must gravitation work, then? How does the moon move "around" earth? Why do rockets start towards the east, then?

David

MrHMSH

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:16 pm

Didn't read it all, I was afraid that my IQ points may be sucked away...

But you have to laugh don't you? That someone could be so ignorant of the world around him in this day and age could even exist. Oh well, crazies will be crazies, thankfully they're a vocal minority.

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:33 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
thankfully they're a vocal minority.

Too bad the rational majority prefers to remain silent.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

PacificBeach88

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:45 pm

desertjets wrote:
I feel stupider for having read that and a bit into the comments. Guess I am just a sheeple for believing big gravities lies all these years.

Exactly. When I was reading this guy's diatribe I was like....."Wow, dips**ts" walk amongst us.

Sadly, these morons vote too. Unreal.

TWA772LR

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:30 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Enjoy.

I deny any responsiblity for your mental pains and injuries. Read the piece on your own risk.

http://www.philipstallings.com/2015/07/ ... truth.html

David

I was feeling a little depressed before I opened this thread, but upon reading about 1/4 of the link, you just put a smile on my face! Has this guy never heard of the Great Circle? Or GRAVITY???
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TWA772LR

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:36 pm

desertjets wrote:
Guess I am just a sheeple for believing big gravities lies all these years.

When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

PacificBeach88

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:03 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
I was feeling a little depressed before I opened this thread, but upon reading about 1/4 of the link, you just put a smile on my face! Has this guy never heard of the Great Circle? Or GRAVITY???

Read the comment section, it's astounding with stupidity. They don't believe in gravity. They think things fly or float due to density. And the bible is 100% accurate as the word of God, and thus the Flat Earth is the center of the universe. *smh* You can't make this stuff up.

Tugger

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:08 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
They think things fly or float due to density. And the bible is 100% accurate as the word of God, and thus the Flat Earth is the center of the universe. *smh* You can't make this stuff up.

I would assume that must mean they think the universe is flat? Or do they even believe there is a "universe"?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

neutrino

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:51 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
That someone could be so ignorant of the world around him in this day and age could even exist.

Here's another: Tila Tequila.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

PacificBeach88

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:02 pm

neutrino wrote:
MrHMSH wrote:
That someone could be so ignorant of the world around him in this day and age could even exist.

Here's another: Tila Tequila.

I'm gay, and yet she is still fun to look at. I can't imagine many of the Flat Earth Society are so blessed. LOL

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:30 pm

Craving for more craziness, I read a bit more about flat earthers. It's mind-boggling.

All flat-earthers believe that the sun, the moon and the planets are... spheres. Well, except earth.

They say that no-one can fall off the deep end of the earth, because there is an impenetrable wall of ice...

https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/flat/flateart.htm is a great text about this topic, summarizing the live of Wilbur Glenn Voliva, one of the most important flat-earthers who was active in USA.

As the author of that article says... "I still would like to see a debate between hollow earthers and flat earthers on the subject of the shape of the earth."

David

David

BlueberryWheats

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:31 pm

I wasn't aware of Tila Tequila, but after seeing her mentioned in this thread I did a quick Wiki and stumbled upon on her views on Judaism. Wow... Just... Wow.

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:12 pm

Tugger wrote:
I would assume that must mean they think the universe is flat? Or do they even believe there is a "universe"?

Tugg

They really believe in a universe. They just assume the earth is flat, like a dish suspended at the center of the universe. And then, all the stars and galaxies are circling the earth, giving the false impression of a rotating earth...

The question is: If there was a civilization on Mars, would the flat-earthers there believe our planet to be flat? Or a sphere?

David

PacificBeach88

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:18 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
They really believe in a universe. They just assume the earth is flat, like a dish suspended at the center of the universe. And then, all the stars and galaxies are circling the earth, giving the false impression of a rotating earth...

The question is: If there was a civilization on Mars, would the flat-earthers there believe our planet to be flat? Or a sphere?

If you notice they claim that one must fly from South Africa to Europe and back down to Australia as "proof" that a sphere that is Earth doesn't exist. They used ridiculous claims that because many routes didn't go 10,000 miles around Antartica that thus the Earth was flat. I posted that I used to fly back and forth to Singapore to NYC around the world they didn't get it. I showed them that the flights from Singapore to Newark are always eastbound. When you take off from Newark you fly east to get to Singapore. When you leave Singapore you fly east yet again to get to Newark. They banned me, saying I was a liar even though I provided a Singapore Airlines link. It screwed with their flat Earth belief. They couldn't comprehend that flying eastward for 20 hours would be faster in almost every case, every time. Morons!

HGL

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:21 am

Stallings has obviously never flown on an Airbus A340. If he had he would know that his theory is wrong.

I recall one take-off from MAD that was so slow and laborious that if it weren't for the fact of the Earth's curvature, we'd still be on the ground today! :lol:
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

PacificBeach88

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:17 am

HGL wrote:
Stallings has obviously never flown on an Airbus A340. If he had he would know that his theory is wrong.

I recall one take-off from MAD that was so slow and laborious that if it weren't for the fact of the Earth's curvature, we'd still be on the ground today! :lol:

Oh, jesus....he'd probably think you were being serious. LOL!

salttee

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:39 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
desertjets wrote:

Exactly. When I was reading this guy's diatribe I was like....."Wow, dips**ts" walk amongst us.

Sadly, these morons vote too. Unreal.
How much time did you spend on this? I didn't know that you were so broadly educated as to have an interest in this stuff.

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:40 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
It screwed with their flat Earth belief. They couldn't comprehend that flying eastward for 20 hours would be faster in almost every case, every time. Morons!

That's the real art of reasoning: Allowing a thought, expressed by somebody else, to enter your mind. You won't reject it, but you won't accept it as the truth - yet.

salttee wrote:
How much time did you spend on this? I didn't know that you were so broadly educated as to have an interest in this stuff.

Welö, I'm also guilty of that crime. I love reading aviation accident reports to *understand*. To learn. I'm also eager to learn how homeopathy works - if it works at all. Expanding my mind takes time. Lots of.

HGL wrote:

PacificBeach88 wrote:

ROFL :lol:

http://wiki.tfes.org/A_hundred_proofs_t ... ot_a_globe is a 1885 treatise giving hundred reasons that the earth is flat. You could give it to students to put their minds to work.

"Surveyors' operations in the construction of railroads, tunnels, or canals are conducted without the slightest "allowance" being made for "curvature," although it is taught that this so-called allowance is absolutely necessary! This is a cutting proof that Earth is not a globe."

Heh. This allowance is made by simply applying a water bubble ruler each dozen of meters. :twisted:

"If the Earth were a globe, a small model globe would be the very best - because the truest - thing for the. navigator to take to sea with him. But such a thing as that is not known: with such a toy as a guide, the mariner would wreck his ship, of a certainty!, This is a proof that Earth is not a globe."

:shock: :shock: :shock: I didn't know people were so childish back then! The grid lines on any map are adjusted for a spherical earth. And it's a wee bit difficult to plot a route on a ball...

David

photopilot

Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:01 pm

Ok, so if I take off from Toronto and fly all the way around the world back to Toronto, have I in fact done an outside loop?
LMAO!!!!
I mean, according to them I'd have to push forward on the stick the whole way. :D

trent768

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Wow, just wow! I can't believe that many people still buy this kind of bs.
Me and my friends always thought that one of my friend is super lucky to have a very hot GF, to the point that we joke about how we are on the 'waiting list' in case of break up. But 2 months ago, she said that the earth is flat and she was dead serious. Fyi, she's a psychology major student while we were oceanography student.

Although they're still together, the waiting list is empty now......

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:28 pm

We could challenge those freaks to design an IRS/INS, and challenge them to trust it on a real long-distance flight. We will cover their expenses if they turn out to be right. :twisted:

David

salttee

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:50 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
Well kid, you're the one here talking about this nonsense, not me.

That post was meant for you, not flying turtle.

My apologies to the turtle.

Tugger

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:28 pm

trent768 wrote:
Wow, just wow! I can't believe that many people still buy this kind of bs.
Me and my friends always thought that one of my friend is super lucky to have a very hot GF, to the point that we joke about how we are on the 'waiting list' in case of break up. But 2 months ago, she said that the earth is flat and she was dead serious. Fyi, she's a psychology major student while we were oceanography student.

Although they're still together, the waiting list is empty now......

I half think that some of the people that claim the earth is flat do so simply as a way to screw with people or as a "thought experiment" to see how far they can go and how far others will go with them. But of course the other half are just deluded. Maybe that "hot psychology GF" was pulling a psych seeing who would go along with her, in your words she is hot and I have plenty of guys "go along" with all sorts of stupid things just for that (and I know several hot women who really do use that).

But who knows. The one thing I do know is that science works and that reality continues along no matter how many people try to deny it.

Tugg

salttee

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:32 pm

Tugger wrote:
Maybe that "hot psychology GF" was pulling a psych seeing who would go along with her, in your words she is hot and I have plenty of guys "go along" with all sorts of stupid things just for that (and I know several hot women who really do use that).
I think you nailed it. He was already crossed off her list.

PacificBeach88

Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:22 pm

Tugger wrote:
But who knows. The one thing I do know is that science works and that reality continues along no matter how many people try to deny it.

Tugg

No, they're not that smart. Remember, the vast majority of them are trying to reconcile a bronze age book called the bible, to today's understanding of science and the world around us. They cannot accept that the bible was a simple book, trying to explain complicated theories and physical laws to a simple people. Now that technology has caught up, we have a small group of morons who are trying to dumb down science to fit a bronze age book that is "the word of god". For them to deny any word of the bible is to blaspheme their god. Anything that goes against their god, is Satan at work, or a conspiracy. They are sick in the head.

I'd love to see them use some of Zeus' teachings or Mars' or Neptune's. Heck why not Vishnu? Can you imagine?

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:26 am

PacificBeach88. there is not only God, a religion, or something like that. There is also psychology at work.

People are willing to ignore facts all the time as long it protects their identity. Trump supporters identify themselves with Trump, a seemingly successful entrepreneur, and when you point out to them that Trump actually hasn't had any success in business, all the person understands is "You're not successful in business". Likewise, flat-earther communities and anti-vaccination groups on Facebook are closely knit, with lots of mutual emotional support. You point out a fallacy, they immediately feel attacked.

David

PacificBeach88

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:42 am

flyingturtle wrote:
PacificBeach88. there is not only God, a religion, or something like that. There is also psychology at work.

People are willing to ignore facts all the time as long it protects their identity. Trump supporters identify themselves with Trump, a seemingly successful entrepreneur, and when you point out to them that Trump actually hasn't had any success in business, all the person understands is "You're not successful in business". Likewise, flat-earther communities and anti-vaccination groups on Facebook are closely knit, with lots of mutual emotional support. You point out a fallacy, they immediately feel attacked.

David

Agreed! I suppose too that those various groups use any disagreement as proof they are being persecuted "for telling the truth", and thus can hoist themselves up on the cross to be the martyr they so desperately want to be.

seat64k

Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:51 pm

Reasons for why people buy into this aside, the internet is a goldmine of stupid. There are actually people who thing aircraft are fake - search youtube for "mon roe". Or don't - some things cannot be unseen.

Fortunately, this provide ample content for other youtubers to make videos taking apart these ideas. One of my favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhibN89WJtI