Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rfields5421
Topic Author

Vice Presidential Debate

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:07 am

1) The loser is the moderator.

2) I feel better about the eventual outcome of the election because both these guys are more reasonable than their candidates. Yes, they are parroting the party line - but you can see both have a better understanding of the issues than we saw last week.

LittleFokker

Re: Vice Presidential Debate

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:13 am

Kaine is not very impressive, but Pence is in another universe from reality. Facts just don't matter to Republicans anymore.

MSPNWA

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:41 am

All Kaine brought to the table was insults and attempts at character shaming. Very few opinions or solutions on issues. Very few answers to the questions. I suppose that's natural because he has to defend the incumbent, and that's basically impossible.

einsteinboricua

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:53 am

I didn't want to watch the debate, mostly because we have the two most boring VP candidates debating each other: Kaine who tries too hard and Pence denying reality.

MaverickM11

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:19 am

[*]
LittleFokker wrote:
Kaine is not very impressive, but Pence is in another universe from reality. Facts just don't matter to Republicans anymore.

He's a christian conservative--denying reality and being as ugly as humanly possible to others is what he's committed himself to...4 Jesus!

flyingchoirboy

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:20 am

I'm a big-time Clinton supporter, so I come into this thread biased. But, I have to say that I'm impressed by Pence's style in the debate. Does he deny reality, as other posters have mentioned? Yes, he absolutely does. But he does it artfully. I'd argue that it was Pence who was the stronger debater, but it matters little. It doesn't change the fact that the Trump/Pence ticket is a bunch of crazies.

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:46 am

I despise Pence and everything he stands for....
But to be fair: he destroyed Tim Kaine in this. :(

Kaine had fact on his side, but he seemed rattled, uncomfortable, CREEPY-ASS smile/smirk the whole time, and never once looked into the camera or addressed the audience.

Petty? For sure... but it's shades of Nixon vs Kennedy:
Pence played to the audience, Kaine played to the moderator.

Kaine got his ass kicked in this, by someone who shirked half the questions he was asked. Sad.

flyingturtle

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:35 am

I watched part of the debate. All Kaine said was "Trump... Trump... Trump... Trump...". Because of that, I have little respect for Kaine.

And that smirk.

Best regards,

Gunnery Sgt Hartman

MaverickM11

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:14 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Kaine got his ass kicked in this, by someone who shirked half the questions he was asked. Sad.

Still not sure it matters a lick, but Kaine only lost on style. He hammered Pence on all the predictable self induced crises Trump has created, and Pence didn't have an answer for one. The optics weren't good, but Kaine was largely correct. The debate was best summarized by Kaine going after Pence for all the vile things Trump has said, and Pence responding that Clinton/Kaine were running an "insult driven campaign" WHILE TRUMP WAS TWEETING INSULTS WITH HIS TINY LITTLE FINGERS.

mbmbos

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:48 pm

Pence looked great, which I found very troubling. But Kaine stuck to his mission, which was putting Trump in the limelight. Today a lot of pundits are commenting that Pence looked more like he was running for President in 2020 than defending the current Republican nominee. It'll be interesting if that continues to be today's media spin.

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:38 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Still not sure it matters a lick, but Kaine only lost on style.

If substance-over-style was a controlling factor, then Trump wouldn't be carrying nearly half the country.

mbmbos wrote:
Pence looked more like he was running for President in 2020

Let's see if the GOP nominating system is forever Trumped or if it goes back to traditional processes.

If the former, then Pence is already behind the 8ball, as the ascension of Trump has proven that the GOP doesn't give half the damn about social issues (e.g. abortion, gay rights, dominionism, etc) that it pretends to; because Trump strikes out on all of the above, whereas Pence is to the right of Rick Santorum on all of the above.

2020 will be the first US election with voters who weren't even born at the time of 9/11.
Gay marriage will have existed in the USA since they were 2yrs-old.

Even if they're Republicans, would the majority of them really care about any of that stuff?
....if not, then the likes of Pence are politically as dead as the Dodo.

727LOVER

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:47 pm

MaverickM11

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:18 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
If substance-over-style was a controlling factor, then Trump wouldn't be carrying nearly half the country.

Yeah if anyone was watching, but with viewership lower than the last two, possibly three VP debates, it's largely an exercise in navel gazing

LAX772LR wrote:
Even if they're Republicans, would the majority of them really care about any of that stuff?
....if not, then the likes of Pence are politically as dead as the Dodo.

I don't think anyone knows what the GOP is going to look like after this election. Pence/Ryan/McConnell/etc seem to be just pretending nothing is wrong and spending the election year grinning and bearing it while white knuckling their "better way" which was D.O.A.. Reince Priebus' instructions to the GOP diehards seems to be, to paraphrase Karen Walker, 'get on your back, point your heels to Jesus, and think of hand bags.' For the price of their dignity/soul, I'm not sure those GOP faithful will salvage anything on the other side though.

OA412

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:15 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
All Kaine brought to the table was insults and attempts at character shaming. Very few opinions or solutions on issues. Very few answers to the questions. I suppose that's natural because he has to defend the incumbent, and that's basically impossible.

And black is white and red is blue... :roll: Trump and Pence have literally said all the things Kaine accused them of saying. There's this invention called the internet which allows people to quickly fact-check claims. Telling the truth about someone's opinion is not an "insult" or "character shaming," it's stating facts. I realize that facts aren't really relevant to most Trump supporters, so I can see why they'd be upset.

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:49 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Yeah if anyone was watching, but with viewership lower than the last two, possibly three VP debates, it's largely an exercise in navel gazing

I am rather curious as to why there was such disinterest in this veep debate, in what's otherwise been an extremely unusual campaign year, versus other recent ones.

35million people watched this one (source: HERE) which is 16million less than 2012's Ryan vs Biden.

Wonder why?

einsteinboricua

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:31 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

I am rather curious as to why there was such disinterest in this veep debate, in what's otherwise been an extremely unusual campaign year, versus other recent ones.

35million people watched this one (source: HERE) which is 16million less than 2012's Ryan vs Biden.

Wonder why?

Simple: these two men are probably the dullest people ever picked for running mates.

When Kaine was brought out after being named Clinton's running mate, I cringed when he spoke English and Spanish. He tries too hard. I'm sure he's a likeable guy and there's a lot we don't know about him. But I just think about House of Cards, where Underwood has a weak VP...that's how I see both Trump and Clinton.

As for Pence, the fact that he has to defend his running mate makes it all the less impressive. Sure Pence is skilled at keeping his cool, but how much substance did he actually give?

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:41 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
When Kaine was brought out after being named Clinton's running mate, I cringed

I did too, but not for that... I couldn't believe that he'd been picked over Julian Castro, who seemed destined to be groomed as a veep.

Oh well. :(

einsteinboricua

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:24 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
When Kaine was brought out after being named Clinton's running mate, I cringed

I did too, but not for that... I couldn't believe that he'd been picked over Julian Castro, who seemed destined to be groomed as a veep.

Oh well. :(

Julian Castro had some baggage going on regarding a lawsuit against him. You don't need to have two controversial figures in a ticket. The other thing is: is he ready to assume the presidency if Clinton is elected and dies or is forced from office? In that aspect, I'm fine with Kaine.

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:19 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Julian Castro had some baggage going on regarding a lawsuit against him. You don't need to have two controversial figures in a ticket. The other thing is: is he ready to assume the presidency if Clinton is elected and dies or is forced from office? In that aspect, I'm fine with Kaine.

Meh, let's just hurry up and get through this so I can have Gavin Newsom as president in 2024. :mrgreen:

LittleFokker

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:27 am

LAX772LR wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Meh, let's just hurry up and get through this so I can have Gavin Newsom as president in 2024. :mrgreen:

Gavin Newsome will be 2032....I think Cory Booker is the next one to the Democratic throne.

rfields5421
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:35 am

Both political parties have for many decades been looking for potential leaders on college campuses. They help those men and women with scholarships, internships, summer jobs, admissions to top schools.

Occasionally one of those party protégé will actually make the leap to elected office. A couple who have are Bill Clinton and Richard Cheney.

Both parties likely have a dozen or more possible candidates for the 2024 and farther presidential elections.

But the parties don't just focus on the White House, they also try to get those future stars in the Congress or a governors mansion.

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:36 am

LittleFokker wrote:
I think Cory Booker is the next one to the Democratic throne.

Very doubtful.

It won't be the first Black or female president who proves that we've made progress-- it'll be if we ever do it AGAIN.
And Black alone was hard enough.

....but Black and gay? Not sure we're there yet. :(
Only thing harder would be an atheist or Muslim president.

LittleFokker

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:49 am

LAX772LR wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

Very doubtful.

It won't be the first Black or female president who proves that we've made progress-- it'll be if we ever do it AGAIN.

You never know. If we can have first black president followed by first woman president in consecutive terms, why not continue to the string of representing minority interest?

But an atheist President, somehow I think Scientology will get a President before Atheists even get represented in Congress.

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:33 am

LittleFokker wrote:
But an atheist President, somehow I think Scientology will get a President before Atheists even get represented in Congress.

Perhaps. But a soft-spoken Atheist probably still has a far better chance than someone who's Islamic.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump is Atheist himself.... he sure as heck doesn't give a damn about the Bible.
"Two Corinthians! Right here in Two Corinthians."

777Jet

Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:42 am

LAX772LR wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

Very doubtful.

How about a black, lesbian, atheist President?

PacificBeach88

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:06 am

777Jet wrote:

Sorry, but you're not a naturalized citizen, so you're disqualified sweetie. Sucks for you. :)

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:13 am

777Jet wrote:

Condi's happy where she is, plus she's forever tied to the GWBush administration-- whose name the GOP is barely comfortable with invoking, even now.

And pretty sure Wanda Sykes isn't interested.

Who else fits?

WarRI1

Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:48 am

An amusing, silly, expected comment by Trump about this being the best, biggest defeat of a VP Candidate ever. I do not remember his exact words, but who cares, it is a ridiculous statement of which he has made many. :shock:

einsteinboricua

Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:40 am

LittleFokker wrote:
before Atheists even get represented in Congress.

May I introduce Rep Pete Stark from California?

777Jet

Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:43 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
777Jet wrote:

Sorry, but you're not a naturalized citizen, so you're disqualified sweetie. Sucks for you. :)

I had you in mind when I gave that example, princess ;)
Last edited by 777Jet on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrex

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:05 pm

What was the deal with Tim Kaine's stupid, arrogant smirk? Did someone tell him he was going to be auditioning for the role of Cheshire Cat on the latest rendition of Alice in Wonderland on Broadway?

LAX772LR wrote:

Actually, quite the opposite.. If you put the two electoral programs side-by-side, dispassionately, and filter out all the noise, as I have seen done, it is clear Donald Trump's is superior. It is just a shame that his abrasive personality and general dumbassery put so many people off.

If you are looking for substance-over-form, look no further than the "she could be the first female President" crowd (i.e., doesn't matter if she is a crook who sticks around a serial predator for the power, as long as she has a vagina).

777Jet

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:14 pm

Pyrex wrote:
What was the deal with Tim Kaine's stupid, arrogant smirk?

I see similarities between him and serial killer Gary Ridgway, the Green River Killer.

MaverickM11

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:32 pm

Pyrex wrote:

Actually, quite the opposite.. If you put the two electoral programs side-by-side, dispassionately, and filter out all the noise, as I have seen done, it is clear Donald Trump's is superior.

Where have you seen this hocus pocus?

Calder

Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:07 pm

I think Mrs. Clinton, and Mr. Trump made good picks in deciding what kind of a person they need to best compliment their own personalities.

Hillary got a man who (IMO) clearly isn't a leader, so she won't be overshadowed. A guy who looks harmless, and one that I might actually have a beer with.

Donald got a man who looks like a statesman and has a record in professional politics, seems distinguished enough (where Trump does not). However, from the little I know of him after the debate, I would NOT sit down and have a beer with him.

The actual debate was a mess. Each of them interrupting the other, both of them stepping on the moderator and not listening to her. They both looked like total clueless assholes. I got a good chuckle when they started bringing out the greatest hits (Hillarys email, Trumps taxes). What a bunch of clowns.

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:09 pm

Pyrex wrote:
If you put the two electoral programs side-by-side, dispassionately, and filter out all the noise, as I have seen done, it is clear Donald Trump's is superior.

...you're not actually expecting this drivel to be taken seriously, are you? :?

jetwet1

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:17 pm

MSPNWA wrote:

He used Trumps quotes, so yeah, there are going to be insults in there.

flyingchoirboy wrote:
I'm a big-time Clinton supporter, so I come into this thread biased. But, I have to say that I'm impressed by Pence's style in the debate. Does he deny reality, as other posters have mentioned? Yes, he absolutely does. But he does it artfully. I'd argue that it was Pence who was the stronger debater, but it matters little. It doesn't change the fact that the Trump/Pence ticket is a bunch of crazies.

Pence did a great job of what he had to do, sit back, relax, ignore what was going on, appear to be a stable person, he did that well.

MaverickM11 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Still not sure it matters a lick, but Kaine only lost on style. He hammered Pence on all the predictable self induced crises Trump has created, and Pence didn't have an answer for one. The optics weren't good, but Kaine was largely correct. The debate was best summarized by Kaine going after Pence for all the vile things Trump has said, and Pence responding that Clinton/Kaine were running an "insult driven campaign" WHILE TRUMP WAS TWEETING INSULTS WITH HIS TINY LITTLE FINGERS.

Pretty much sums it up.

727LOVER wrote:
Nothing will ever beat this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWXRNySMW4s

/quote]

Probably the most memorable thing ever to be said in a VP debate, also the most accurate.

einsteinboricua wrote:

Out of all 4, Kaine is probably the best person to be President, Pence just scares the hell out of me.

LittleFokker wrote:

Gavin Newsome will be 2032....I think Cory Booker is the next one to the Democratic throne.

I am with you on Cory Booker, i've had the pleasure of meeting him, he has what Bill Clinton has, he talks to a room and you feel like he is talking to you only, plus of course I agree with what he has stood for to date.

In the end, it's the VP debate, it really doesn't matter, they wheel them out for an hour or so just so the party base who may never of heard of them can get a look and feel comfortable with them.

Tugger

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:22 pm

Pyrex wrote:
It is just a shame that his abrasive personality and general dumbassery put so many people off.

I'm sorry but abrasiveness and especially "dumbassery" are definitely not shameful to judge and disqualify someone for a job. I can't think of ever having wanted to hire someone with those traits. Honestly, would you hire someone to work for you that you describe as that? Would it be a shame that you didn't?

I have seen enough really smart people at work (brilliant engineers and also executives) that have demonstrated themselves to be one or the other and seen them drag things down and ruin good programs and projects that then have to be rescued by others after they were removed. So to have both qualities? Seriously? You could think you want someone like that?

Tugg

PacificBeach88

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:12 pm

Pyrex wrote:
What was the deal with Tim Kaine's stupid, arrogant smirk?

as long as she has a vagina).

It's going to be so much fun watching you have to call that "vagina", Madame President, and that "arrogant smirking cat", Mr. Vice President, for the next 4+ years. :lol: :lol: :lol:

OA412

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:15 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Where have you seen this hocus pocus?
LAX772LR wrote:
...you're not actually expecting this drivel to be taken seriously, are you?

Are you two meeting a Trump supporter for the first time? :lol:

Tugger wrote:
I'm sorry but abrasiveness and especially "dumbassery" are definitely not shameful to judge and disqualify someone for a job. I can't think of ever having wanted to hire someone with those traits. Honestly, would you hire someone to work for you that you describe as that? Would it be a shame that you didn't?

Exactly. There's no shame in judging someone and disqualifying them because of their abrasiveness and dumbassery. There was a very Trump-esque guy in my law school class. Undeservedly arrogant, no respect for women, acted like an ass, said whatever was on his mind no matter how bad it may be, and loved using his straight white male privilege to get out of all this. He lasted one year... I wouldn't touch the guy with a ten-foot barge pole because of what a liability he'd be. Some classmates still retain friendships with him and all I can do is shake my head.

Pyrex

Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:51 am

Oh, please, cut it with the white male privilege bullshit. Obnoxious behavior by over-rated dumbasses is not an exclusively white thing - have you heard of Kanye West?