Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777222LR
Topic Author

Going to Seoul - Trip Advice/Suggestions?

Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:52 am

Hey All! I've just booked my plane tickets a couple of weeks ago to Seoul in February. I'm on this kick, going forward, of visiting 1 or 2 places I've never gone each year. I've never been to Seoul, and a friend of mine went this past summer and loved it. Was just hoping to get some advice on things to do and see while I'm there. I've thought about making a trip over to Beijing or Osaka while I'm across the Pacific for a few days. I have booked OKC-DEN-SFO-ICN-SFO-IAH-OKC. Booked global first, so that will be my first experience flying first over the Pacific. I did economy to Hong Kong last February, and my back started killing me. I ended up using miles for this trip upgrade. Excited as I will get to fly the 777, 747-400, and the 787 all in one trip.

wingman

Re: Going to Seoul - Trip Advice/Suggestions?

Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:55 pm

Not sure where to begin but get a travel guide of course. Seoul is a fantastic city and you'll not be lacking in any kind of entertainment. The food and drink scene is superb. It's what I liked best, eating out in the stalls and alleyways right in the middle of downtown. If it's rainy and overcast you'll feel like you're on the set of Bladerunner after a few shots of Soju and pints. Asian beer is like Budweiser but plenty of harder stuff around to get your rocks off. My suggestion is to sign up for a food/drink tour. About $50-60 and runs about 3-4 hours, worth it just to get a feel for the scene and be able to ask questions of a younger/hipper local vs. a stuffy tour guide. My two other "must do" recommendations are the DMZ tour and the Korean War Memorial/museum. The former is a full day affair you won't forget in your lifetime and the second has an astonishing collections of warplanes from the era including Migs, a B52 with full access to the cockpit, a coastal patrol ship, tanks, helos..you name it. Inside there's plenty more including the names of the fallen from every US State and allied nation that participated in the war. In the 20 years since I'd been there prior the city has become truly first world. It honestly makes just about any major US city look like a dump..very clean, safe, excellent subway system, and of course the airport itself which is a glorious feast of Airbus and Boeing widebodies. Easily in my Top 5 world cities right now. You'll have plenty of fun but bring layers man, winters on the peninsula aren't for the weak and feeble.

PS: if you're into soba noodles there's a place about two blocks from the US embassy that specializes in Korean cuisine but using all things buckwheat, so spicy noodle dishes using soba instead of ramen-style noodles and pajun, the traditional seafood pancake, made with buckwheat instead of regular batter. I went back three times in one week, practically salivating just thinking about it. You should see it in the guide book..under places to eat near the embassy, inside a mini mall and o the second story,

strfyr51

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 am

if you want shirts slacks or suits visit Itaewon. I had 8 tailor made dress shirts made at Ah Kong for $100

777222LR
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:42 am

strfyr51 wrote:
if you want shirts slacks or suits visit Itaewon. I had 8 tailor made dress shirts made at Ah Kong for $100

I went in February. :-) It was 16 degrees at night, 23 during the day. So frigid. My favorite part of that trip was going to the DMZ. Incredible, especially given where we are with North Korea right now.

wingman

Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:19 pm

New acronym = R.R.O.T. = random resuscitation of old thread.

Dutchy

Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:57 pm

wingman wrote:

haha, well played my friend.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

jetero

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:26 am

Dutchy wrote:
wingman wrote:

Well I guess the question is

HOW WAS IT ... ?

(Do we have all this DPRK drama to blame on you?)

777222LR
Topic Author

Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:19 am

jetero wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
wingman wrote:

HOW WAS IT ... ?

Amazing City. I stayed at the Conrad Seoul, one of the best hotels I've been to. Interior decor was flawless. I had a corner suite on a very high floor with sweeping views of the Han River. The DMZ was fascinating. Downside, it was 25F during the day and about 16C during the evening. I wasn't prepared for that, for whatever reason.

I flew out in the middle of a nationwide flight planning outage at United. So I was rerouted DEN-NRT-ICN, instead of OKC-SFO-ICN. My luggage didn't come until 2 days after my arrival, which meant I got it on the morning of the 3rd day. Fortunately, there was a mall below my hotel. :-)

jetero

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:08 am

777222LR wrote:
jetero wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

HOW WAS IT ... ?

Amazing City. I stayed at the Conrad Seoul, one of the best hotels I've been to. Interior decor was flawless. I had a corner suite on a very high floor with sweeping views of the Han River. The DMZ was fascinating. Downside, it was 25F during the day and about 16C during the evening. I wasn't prepared for that, for whatever reason.

I flew out in the middle of a nationwide flight planning outage at United. So I was rerouted DEN-NRT-ICN, instead of OKC-SFO-ICN. My luggage didn't come until 2 days after my arrival, which meant I got it on the morning of the 3rd day. Fortunately, there was a mall below my hotel. :-)

And that's why we travel!

This is the best trip report I've read. "I've never been there. I've heard about it. Sounds interesting enough. I should go there. And if I go there I'm going in a way I've never traveled before. And I'm going to ask people about it first." And no need for commentary on the lettuce on your dinner plate being drier than you expected or the airline employees not being attentive enough to your every need. And then things don't work out as planned (baggage delivery), they keep on working out unplanned (bags still not delivered for multiple days).

But you end up finding away without a change of clothes, and you're released from whatever you thought you existed in your head as an "ideal vacation"

Then you get to experience it.

Very glad you had a great time!

(I asked this question before, but I will ask it again, are you responsible for this mess?!)

FlyHappy

Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:46 am

777222LR wrote:
jetero wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

HOW WAS IT ... ?

okay, dumb question, but I'm genuinely curious - did United compensate you for the luggage delay, and if so, did you get any sense that the compensation was higher having flown F vs Y?

(this is not any kind of United or carrier bashing, just wondering how these things get handled)

777222LR
Topic Author

Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:44 am

I didn't ask for compensation. They did give me 10K miles for the inconvenience of the route change.