Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

keesje
Topic Author

Condoleezza Rice For President?

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Smart, sensible, experienced, relative young, charming, acceptable for a US majority?

Far more credible then Donald. Being very intelligent and nice also helps In such a complex position as Barak and Bill showed.

Maybe GOPs secret weapon starting to make noise.

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/bomb ... tial-race/

Hillis

Re: Condoleezza Rice For President?

Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:21 pm

And one of the masterminds of the Iraq war that led to ISIS?

No thanks.

YZF101

Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:29 pm

And the "other" option is one of those who got the Syrian conflict going, including violation of sovereign airspace? Not to mention many other nasties?

No thanks.

Dutchy

Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm

probably much more acceptable to a lot of Americans then the Donald and certainly much more acceptable to the rest to the world then trump. Can that still happen this late in the game?

YZF101

Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:54 pm

I'd go as far as saying she'd be more acceptable to the world than Hillary. At least at this stage in the history of the United States, she'd go farther promoting the status and standing of women than Ms. Clinton ever would. But to answer your thought, yes, more acceptable than Trump.

jetwet1

Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:59 pm

Hmmm, interesting, but I don't think she could beat Clinton, how about Powell?

Tugger

Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:14 pm

She wants NOTHING to do with such a thing. She has always preferred to stay away from the lime light. She likes power enough and is smart enough to use it and manage it but the presidency is a high intensity position beyond anything else.

No way she would want it.

Tugg

scbriml

Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:49 pm

Many republicans have an issue with a black president.

Many republicans have an issue with a female president.

A black, female president? Republican heads would literally explode. :lol:

DocLightning

Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:32 pm

Condi Rice was vice Provost when I was at Stanford until she left to join the Bush campaign.

She was a miserable, authoritarian, mean-spirited human being. Beautiful piano player, though.

Anyway, she doesn't want the job.

WarRI1

Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:57 pm

scbriml wrote:

A total meltdown for sure, but wait, if she can get elected and name a new USSC justice for the Republicans, she will do just fine, anyone would. I think she is more intelligent than to get involved in this with all her baggage. Too bad Trump does not possess such wisdom. Has she ever married? Would she be the first single President elected? The haters would have a ball with that.

einsteinboricua

Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:00 pm

Definitely far more acceptable than Trump or any other Republican this cycle (Kasich coming in a close second). But still wouldn't cast my vote for her.

Hillis

Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:12 pm

YZF101 wrote:
And the "other" option is one of those who got the Syrian conflict going, including violation of sovereign airspace? Not to mention many other nasties?

No thanks.

The Syrian Conflict got going during The Arab Springs. Sorry, try again.

YZF101

Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:25 pm

scbriml wrote:

How well would exploding heads play on CNN? It does sound kinda Pythonesque, does it not? :lol:

HGL

Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:04 am

DocLightning wrote:
. Beautiful piano player, though.

It's good to know that she has at least one redeeming feature. :lol:

Bur seriously, even if Rice wanted the job, is it not a bit late in the game? Or are we talking about the next round?

cpd

Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:08 am

keesje wrote:
Smart, sensible, experienced, relative young, charming, acceptable for a US majority?

Why would she want to? She's already done her time in government. From what I understand, it'll be a herculean task to even replace Trump.

I think the Republican party has to say that this election is a write off, finished, ruined and then try to regather for the next time and change up the party procedures so there is a circuit-breaker they can use in case of emergencies (ie, a candidate becomes totally unacceptable).

YZF101

Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:28 am

Hillis wrote:
YZF101 wrote:

No thanks.

The Syrian Conflict got going during The Arab Springs. Sorry, try again.

Arab Spring started in December 2010. Hillary Clinton was Sec State, no doubt hammering away at emails in her basement (I mean, working on her memoirs). Discoursing on release of government documents in November.

Yeah, she was around, and I even used Google, rather than the Daily Mail. Now, did she start it? No, but definately involved as Sec State, no doubt wringing her hands in anticipation for "democracy" to rule. No doubt advised the Brits about Libya?

einsteinboricua

Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:06 am

cpd wrote:
I think the Republican party has to say that this election is a write off, finished, ruined and then try to regather for the next time and change up the party procedures so there is a circuit-breaker they can use in case of emergencies (ie, a candidate becomes totally unacceptable).

If anything, the new contenders for the 2020 nomination will say that they lost 2016 because they weren't conservative enough, to which Cruz will point out and say "see? I told you you needed me". Assuming he's not defeated in a Texas primary for his Senate seat, he's in a prime position to do away with the other possible contenders.

In the meantime, another autopsy report will be published and ignored by 2018 as the GOP is sure to make gains in the midterms. The Senate, if not red, will flip red and the House will also become more entrenched in GOP hands. State legislatures that were blue will probably have reduced majorities or flip red. A lot of term limited governorships will remain in red hands (even Kansas where Brownback is the nation's least popular governor).

rfields5421

Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:21 am

Rice has seen political campaigns. She knows the toll it takes on a person. She also knows the compromises a person has to make to get the support necessary to win a political office.

There is absolutely no up side for her to run for President.

(And there would undoubtedly some questions from some about a woman who never married and hasn't has a publicly known serious relationship for almost 40 years.)

She has also failed the conservative test - she is seen within the Tea Party as someone who does not follow the hard line, and is willing to work worth liberals on many issues. Fatal flaws for a person running in the Republican Primaries.

Dreadnought

Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:50 am

scbriml wrote:

You keep telling yourself that, if it makes you fell better. I don't know of anyone who would have a problem with either. Rice would make a fine candidate, but she's been asked many times before and she has absolutely zero interest in running. Pity.

If course if she did run the left would have a shitfit. Any time a person who is black or gay strays off the plantation of the Democratic party, they tend to go nuts. Look how they treated Carson, Cain, Thomas, Sowell etc.

Hillis

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:12 am

Dreadnought wrote:
scbriml wrote:

You keep telling yourself that, if it makes you fell better. I don't know of anyone who would have a problem with either. Rice would make a fine candidate, but she's been asked many times before and she has absolutely zero interest in running. Pity.

If course if she did run the left would have a shitfit. Any time a person who is black or gay strays off the plantation of the Democratic party, they tend to go nuts. Look how they treated Carson, Cain, Thomas, Sowell etc.

Add Allen West to that group. And it isn't about race with them, it's because all of them are bat-shit nuts.

zckls04

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:57 am

Dreadnought wrote:

I'll give you this- she'd be much better than the ludicrous human cesspit you're championing now.

In the case of Carson and Cain at least (the others are a bit before my time), the vast majority of criticism leveled at them revolved around the fact that they were complete idiots.

Dreadnought

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:43 am

zckls04 wrote:
In the case of Carson and Cain at least (the others are a bit before my time), the vast majority of criticism leveled at them revolved around the fact that they were complete idiots.

LOL, who are you to say that a highly successful and reputable neurosurgeon is an "idiot". He's probably a hell of a lot smarter than you.

salttee

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:49 am

Dreadnought wrote:
LOL, who are you to say that a highly successful and reputable neurosurgeon is an "idiot". He's probably a hell of a lot smarter than you.

Egyptian pyramids as grain silos??

BlueberryWheats

Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:21 am

Dreadnought wrote:
zckls04 wrote:

It's definitely possible to be very academically bright but be dumb as a rock in general life skills/common sense.
My job is in the medical field and I work alongside many doctors who really know their stuff when it comes to the knowledge behind medicines, but I wouldn't trust to look after a houseplant. I often wonder how they even survive in the real world.

Take a look at the McCann's. Both very successful doctors, but dumb enough to leave very young children in a hotel room alone in a foreign country, resulting in little Madeleine going missing.

scbriml

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:50 am

Dreadnought wrote:
I don't know of anyone who would have a problem with either.

Have you been asleep for the last 8 years? :lol:

coolian2

Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:05 am

scbriml wrote:

It would be hilarious.

Something I'm saying too much at the moment.

But can we have it? As people who aren't invested, can we have this play out?

Polot

Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:43 pm

Dreadnought wrote:
zckls04 wrote:

That means he is smart/qualified enough to be a neurosurgeon. That doesn't mean he is smart/qualified enough to lead a country. That doesn't mean he can't be an idiot on matters unrelated to neurology.

I'm a chemist with a PhD and like to think I'm pretty smart, but I know I would be a disaster if I was president.

bmacleod

Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:55 pm

Condoleezza Rice would also be the first single president since James Buchanan.

Polot

Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:05 pm

bmacleod wrote:
Condoleezza Rice would also be the first single president since James Buchanan.

Well Grover Cleveland was briefly single. He didn't meet his soon to be wife until after he won his first term.

727LOVER

Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:43 pm

Dreadnought wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFyWqAaWSyE :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXBdzFsD8Pk :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgNoPvbsR1g :lol:

seb146

Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:58 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

A total meltdown for sure, but wait, if she can get elected and name a new USSC justice for the Republicans, she will do just fine, anyone would. I think she is more intelligent than to get involved in this with all her baggage. Too bad Trump does not possess such wisdom. Has she ever married? Would she be the first single President elected? The haters would have a ball with that.

Grover Cleveland and James Buchanan were not married when elected. Cleveland married while in office, Buchanan never married.

I think Rice would steer the election back to the issues. She does have experience, but, as has been pointed out, many Republicans would not vote for a Black woman.

zckls04

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:28 pm

Dreadnought wrote:
zckls04 wrote:

Neurosurgeons are not automatically smarter than everybody else. Intelligence is a multifacted thing, and somebody can be extremely competent at doing one thing whilst simultaneously being an intellectual dwarf. That's Carson to a tee.

Cain is a considerably more impressive thinker- though I disagree with him on practically everything, he shows the spirit of enquiry that is absent in Carson. But he's still not really presidential material.

bhill

Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:21 pm

It might work...I might vote for her....but I think she is smart like General Powell....two serious folk that know better than to have all of their service to the country...especially the "grey" area...exposed to the public. And only a fool would think they have made some choices to further the American interests that opponent wold have a field day....good or bad.

desertjets

Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:06 pm

I believe that anybody who was associate's with GW Bush's admin, and especially those that were around for the lead up to the Iraq War are simply toxic politically -- regardless of whether they have a D or an R behind their name.