Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Moving services suggestions

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:45 am

I may be counting chickens before they hatch, but I'd like to look into moving services.

At first I thought about U-Haul and just doing everything on my own, but I know myself and I cannot take a day to pack stuff on my own. Usually, people who do U-Haul have few items to carry or have people help them out (something I'm lacking at the moment). I've been applying to other jobs where relocation is not offered. I'm willing to take a loan to either pack/unpack my items (but I'll ship them with U-Haul) or have a full service where the movers do everything from start to finish.

Has anyone moved and requested moving services? Paid relocation by a company doesn't count since you don't get to pick it.

Has anyone done moving on their own (no help)? How fast were you able to do everything?

Jetsgo

Re: Moving services suggestions

Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:11 am

I work in the moving and transportation industry and consider myself to have vast experience working with people in similar scenarios.

The first thing I will suggest is doing it yourself. Full service movers are disproportionately more expensive than doing it yourself. While you didn't specify how far you're moving, plan for a minimum $1,000 if in town and close to $10,000 if cross country. This is especially so if you're looking for someone to actually pack/box your items instead of simply handling what you've already packed and boxed. Compare this to renting a truck locally for $30 - $100 day and .69 - .99 per mile on a local move and up to $3,000 for a one-way move.

Second, avoid Craigslist and similar advertisements. If you seek out movers, you must absolutely verify a) they're licensed and insured and b) they're registered in your state to 1) offer loading and unloading services and 2) drive your truck if you rent one. Many states, including Nevada, frequently run sting operations which result in rental trucks being impounded with customer belongings in them. It will then be up to the other parties to decide how and when the truck and belongings are released.

Three, avoid U-Haul. They do NOT guarantee trucks. A quick search on Google will pull up all kinds of horror stories with trucks either not being available period or different size trucks being available up to 100 miles away. Penske and Budget offer one-way and local rentals. Enterprise and Ryder offer local rentals only.

My suggestion to you is to rent a truck, bite the bullet and pack your items over time, and hire licensed and insured movers after verifying they are listed with your states Transportation Authority and/or Secretary of State. They will load/unload your items while you drive the truck. These are usually billed out 2-3 man minimum for 2-3 hours minimum. If you cannot or do not want to drive the truck, Pod's and ABF U-Pack are decent alternatives.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or would like more specific details.

PacificBeach88

Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:50 am

I've moved plenty, both locally and interstate, as well as transnationally. If you are paying for it yourself, and it's local, set your budget up front. Our most recent move we budgeted $1,000 to have our stuff moved 1.2 miles. Basically all of the "big stuff". We told the moving company we had a "hard budget" of $1,000 to move it all....we ended up spending $1,150 to get all of it moved. Keep in mind we have a small house of only 1,600 sq ft, but with quite a lot of furniture, given I moved from a 4,000 sq. ft home fully furnished 8 years ago.

I used to do it all myself, but now that I've turned 40 something, hurting my neck/back and being out of work for a week just isn't an option. It would cost me a lot more than just paying someone to move. Additionally, paying professionals to help move you, they damage your furniture less than your buddies you are paying with pizza and beer. Out of the 8 moves I've paid for, I've only had 2 pieces of furniture slightly damaged. I didn't turn in a claim for either as they were very minor.

LittleFokker

Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:03 am

One other thing to consider if you hire professional movers (I've had 2 company paid for moves) is that you'll have tons of boxes and packaging materials left over once you've unpacked. Depending on how big of a residence you're moving into, that can be a good or bad thing.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:34 pm

Mine is a 2 bedroom apartment, though I'm occupying one bedroom only. A small dining room set, a desk, a sectional sofa, and bedroom items are among the things I have. Many things have been left packed since my last move.

I didn't state where I'd move, but it's definitely out of state. Whether it's the state next door or a few states down the road, I don't know. Like I said, too early to tell. Just trying to decide as I may have to end up paying for relocation on my own (unlike other times when the company would pay for it).

Moose135

Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:01 am

About four years ago, I moved down to Charlotte from Long Island for a new job, which didn't offer relocation assistance. I didn't have much in the way of furniture, but ended up being offered a bunch of stuff - couch, dining room set, bedroom furniture, and such - from my late mother-in-law's place in Pennsylvania. I rented a U-Haul for my stuff in NY, towed my car to PA, then loaded my stuff plus the furniture and such from Mom's into a PODS unit. We had a handyman who did work around Mom's place that helped me load the unit. I rented a 16 foot long unit (they are 8x8 tall and wide) and spent about $2K on it. With boxes, the U-Haul, a couple of nights in a hotel, and other expenses, I spent a little over $3K on the move.

777Jet

Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:20 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
I used to do it all myself, but now that I've turned 40 something,

Good Lord!

"40 something"; you?

I thought you stalled in adolescence :D

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:53 am

Moose135 wrote:
About four years ago, I moved down to Charlotte from Long Island for a new job, which didn't offer relocation assistance. I didn't have much in the way of furniture, but ended up being offered a bunch of stuff - couch, dining room set, bedroom furniture, and such - from my late mother-in-law's place in Pennsylvania. I rented a U-Haul for my stuff in NY, towed my car to PA, then loaded my stuff plus the furniture and such from Mom's into a PODS unit. We had a handyman who did work around Mom's place that helped me load the unit. I rented a 16 foot long unit (they are 8x8 tall and wide) and spent about $2K on it. With boxes, the U-Haul, a couple of nights in a hotel, and other expenses, I spent a little over $3K on the move.

I've been looking at prices. I'm certain U-Haul and a couple of nights in a hotel will come out WAY cheaper than hiring movers. I guess the idea of driving a truck with a car being towed is not easy, especially if it's gonna be out of state. For example, if I move to Colorado, heading straight through I-70 from Maryland takes 25 hours. I drove from Jacksonville to Maryland on business...NOT FUN!

Moose135

Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:11 am

I drove this combo from Long Island, through New York City, to the Wilkes-Barre, PA area. It's honestly the first time I had towed anything, and it wasn't a problem at all, just don't push it.

I am a bit of a road warrior - I put 210K miles on that Stratus in 10 years, and my Durango has 75K miles in 2 1/2 years.

SmithAir747

Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:24 am

I have moved across North America 3 times to date: Fort Wayne to San Francisco (2007), San Francisco to Calgary (2012), and Calgary to Denver (2015). For the FWA-SFO move in 2007, my younger sister and I piled my boxes and furniture (not much furniture though) into my 1998 Pontiac Bonneville and her Dodge pickup truck and convoyed it cross country from Indiana to California over 4 days and nights, stopping to sleep in a motel each night. For both my subsequent moves (2012 SFO-YYC and 2015 YYC-DEN), I left my furniture behind for others or donated it away, and just packed what I could fit in the Bonneville and drove cross continent to the next city (and shipped ahead via postal service what wouldn't fit); I got rid of lots of stuff both times. I never had the money to hire professional movers, rent a truck, or use PODS. Once I got to my new city, I went to the local IKEA and got all my new furniture there. The cycle will continue in 2018 when I leave Denver, and for as long as I remain single and keep moving all over the planet.

I know I will be moving away from Denver sometime in 2018; now that I have a full size station wagon (Volvo), I will have more room to carry my stuff in. That is, IF I stay in North America. But if I get the opportunity to move back to London (where I studied and lived 2004-2007), or elsewhere overseas, I will need to get rid of most everything (car included) and pack light for the flight or ocean liner voyage, and replace everything once I get there. No professional movers for me.

SmithAir747

DocLightning

Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:31 am

I've always been very pleased with the Mayflower family of companies.

SmithAir747

Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:24 pm

DocLightning wrote:
I've always been very pleased with the Mayflower family of companies.

Mayflower moved my family from New Haven (a suburb of Fort Wayne, IN) to the small town of Garrett north of Fort Wayne in 1979. I was 4 years old then. I don't recall hearing any complaints from my parents about them. We were a large family moving from a midcentury bilevel house in New Haven to an even larger 19th century ex-funeral home in Garrett.

SmithAir747

afcjets

Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:59 pm

If you work for an airline or have a friend who works for an airline and they will show up for you where you depart from, they can get 90% off air cargo, airport to airport, DL cargo even has trucks from ATL. Then you can rent a Uhaul for $19 or $29 plus mileage locally. You will need a 757 or larger jet if you have any wide pieces though because of cargo door width. If you are moving a long distance it should be way cheaper than a moving company or any Uhaul, but not necessarily convenient. Larger airports can xray freight, but smaller ones may want to inspect individual boxes so if you pursue that route, call first before you spend a lot of time wrapping and taping stuff, they may have to undo it when the airline employee shows up to send it.

stlgph

Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:05 am

First, where are you moving from and to...