Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAX772LR
Topic Author

SnapChat

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:07 pm

I've always made it a point to master any of the latest social media sites/apps, in the event it comes in handy (for any number of reasons), and SnapChat is no exception...

...but I've gotta say, it seems to be the most pointless of the bunch. By far.
There's really no innovation, as it doesn't permit just about anything that could already have been done, for years in fact.

Even worse, I think it lulls these inexperienced Millennials into a terrible sense of feeling unaccountable/untouchable:
They actually believe the "Everything I do disappears after a short time!" mantra.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way a prude, and don't care if a dick or tit pic gets sent to a willing participant, at all.
But you wouldn't BELIEVE some of the crap I see these kids posting, nowadays. It's insane.

Crazier still, is how many people are going to be left dumbfounded, after the INEVITABLE happens:
And by that, I mean when some dumbasses use SnapChat as a means of communication, during the commission of a felony, while thinking that all the evidence will disappear.

Man are THEY gonna be in for a shock, once all of that "disappeared" material magically resurfaces, as the company tries to save its own self from any implications.

ContentCreator

Re: SnapChat

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:30 pm

Having dumb teenagers using social media is one of the great gifts of our time. The amount of embarrassing and entertaining material they create that is then disseminated through the internet to end up on sites like worldstar and youtube is great!

I'm so glad everyone didn't have cameras when I was a kid and a teenager. I'd definitely be in jail or infamous on Youtube. Dodged the bullet on that one.

coolian2

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:39 pm

You say it's bad, but you've clearly never had the chance to flirt with your partner in quick moments for laughs.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:28 am

coolian2 wrote:
You say it's bad, but you've clearly never had the chance to flirt with your partner in quick moments for laughs.

That's a poor assumption on your part.
Done that, and wayyy worse.

But what I HAVEN'T done, is photograph (or worse, video) myself doing something blatantly illegal; and then not only disburse it to people over a medium, but be rather careless as to whom it gets sent.

And yet, I'm personally witnessing that all the time. It's troublesome.

PacificBeach88

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:42 am

If the music is too loud, you're too old. Sorry LAX....deal with it. :)

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:20 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
If the music is too loud, you're too old. Sorry LAX....deal with it. :)

Get used to people foolish enough to film there own selves in illegal activity, then distribute it?

...no, doubt I'll ever get used to that combo of naivete+stupidity

coolian2

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:15 am

If you're an idiot, you'll get done eventually anyway. The medium doesn't matter.

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:19 am

Snapchat is OK for silly moments. However, seeing people with the dog filter or the flowers or whatever...it's funny every once in a while; it's stupid when it's the norm. When I look at profiles on Tinder and other social sites, if I see the dog filter I immediately swipe left. Your best shot to impress me is a single picture of you as a dog? No thanks!

LAX772LR wrote:
Crazier still, is how many people are going to be left dumbfounded, after the INEVITABLE happens:
And by that, I mean when some dumbasses use SnapChat as a means of communication, during the commission of a felony, while thinking that all the evidence will disappear.

IIRC, the company stores all pictures and videos. YOU just don't have access to it. However, during your window, you CAN download videos and pictures of other people (at least take a screenshot of pictures).

coolian2

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:36 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Snapchat is OK for silly moments. However, seeing people with the dog filter or the flowers or whatever...it's funny every once in a while; it's stupid when it's the norm. When I look at profiles on Tinder and other social sites, if I see the dog filter I immediately swipe left. Your best shot to impress me is a single picture of you as a dog? No thanks!

The racial type of person I like seems to love the dog filter, so I give them a pass if they have more than one photo. Don't judge 'till you give it a go!

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:34 am

coolian2 wrote:
The racial type of person I like seems to love the dog filter, so I give them a pass if they have more than one photo. Don't judge 'till you give it a go!

I read profiles and see if they have more than one picture. However, if their profiles are blank or don't say much of anything (except I wanna hookup) or if all the pictures are simply Snapchat filters, I'll pass. One picture out of five is OK: you have a silly side. Five pictures out of five with a filter? Or worse: only one picture?

To quote an MTV "dating" show: NEXT!

cjg225

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:30 am

I am the world's worst millennial, as I find the vast majority of apps dumb or pointless. I see absolutely 0 value in something like SnapChat. I don't even have a Twitter account. I use Facebook because I do view that as somewhat valuable for communication to a wide audience or easy information gathering. It amazes me how communication evolves, and not always in a good way. It really, really bothers me that even amongst my colleagues (most of whom are not millennials) that they'd rather text or SnapChat or something else than ACTUALLY TALK. I mean, most of my group flat out says they don't answer their phones. I am the only person in the group, it seems, who actually would rather talk to a person than IM or text or something like that.

My generation drives me insane, and it's infecting other generations...

coolian2

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:15 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

I read profiles and see if they have more than one picture. However, if their profiles are blank or don't say much of anything (except I wanna hookup) or if all the pictures are simply Snapchat filters, I'll pass. One picture out of five is OK: you have a silly side. Five pictures out of five with a filter? Or worse: only one picture?

Apparently I've done it perfectly according to a few women. Myself as the first pic, a boring different pic of me, a pic of me and my elderly father. Then a bio where I admit I'm shy (it's the honest truth).

Still it doesn't help that I look like shit so I don't match often anyway, but who gives a shit? I'd get rejected as much in a bar.

Calder

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:44 pm

I tried to download Snapchat once, but it auto-detects root and won't allow use if it realizes your phone is rooted. I saw there was an Xposed module made to address it, but I didn't bother.

ContentCreator

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:30 pm

cjg225 wrote:
I am the world's worst millennial, as I find the vast majority of apps dumb or pointless. I see absolutely 0 value in something like SnapChat. I don't even have a Twitter account. I use Facebook because I do view that as somewhat valuable for communication to a wide audience or easy information gathering. It amazes me how communication evolves, and not always in a good way. It really, really bothers me that even amongst my colleagues (most of whom are not millennials) that they'd rather text or SnapChat or something else than ACTUALLY TALK. I mean, most of my group flat out says they don't answer their phones. I am the only person in the group, it seems, who actually would rather talk to a person than IM or text or something like that.

I bet you love fedoras. A true gentleman born in the wrong age.

OA412

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:56 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
And yet, sooooo many do. Hence my point.

Hell, one of my clients had some dude whom she'd just met, Snap her a pic of various types of drugs (with his phone number in the type face) with some stupid message like "I got the hookup lil' momma."

It's insane.

Hawt! Sounds like my kind of man. Do you have his number? :lol:

einsteinboricua wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

Agreed. I received a message from someone last week. No profile pic, so I ask for a picture of him. He sent me a picture of him with the dog filter... Next!

cjg225

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:34 pm

ContentCreator wrote:
I bet you love fedoras. A true gentleman born in the wrong age.

If by "fedora" you mean a baseball cap all the time (other than when I am at work), then, yes. ;) I hate wearing nice clothes, but I do simply because of work. I am married to the t-shirt, cargo shorts/athletic shorts, and baseball cap look. I'm all about comfort and the ability to carry my wallet, keys, and phone without feeling like the fabric is going to rip or I'm going to crush something when I sit down. I am EXTREMELY glad I was born in an era where that look is an option; I'd die if I had to wear a suit to fly on a plane (and I wasn't on a business trip).

I am extremely irked at my generation's total lack of interpersonal communication skills more than anything else. Style choices are much more of a grey area. For the most part, I don't really care how my generation has changed the norm looks, clothes, appearances, etc. except in certain situations (like certain types of work environments).

And then there's my generation's desire to use technology for EVERYTHING no matter how inappropriate that may actually be in the situation or context. The march of progress is good. Advancement of technology is good. It is the application of those things to particular sets of circumstances that can be very bad.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:35 pm

cjg225 wrote:

Yeah, your generation's pretty stupid, in a social sense. :-P

I've seen on some job applications: "Please text only" next to phone numbers, lol.

OA412

Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:38 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
cjg225 wrote:

I've seen on some job applications: "Please text only" next to phone numbers, lol.

I haven't personally witnessed it, but I've been told by others they've had Millenials show up to job interviews in shorts and flip flops. Oye Vey!

cjg225

Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:55 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

I just got added to the recruiting team for Penn State at my company, so I missed out on the early fall semester career fairs. I haven't had the chance to collect any of my own stories yet. But, my boss was telling me about some of the phone screening interviews she got roped into doing the other week... Some of them were hilarious. Some we very... yikes. Part of me can't wait to see the kinds of faux pas some kids make. I mean, I honestly want to see kids succeed, especially since I'll be recruiting from my alma mater, but the comedy material could be gold, too.

jetblueguy22

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:42 pm

I love snapchat, it's probably my most used social network. Do people kill certain features to death? Sure, but they seem to rotate them out pretty well.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:13 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
I love snapchat, it's probably my most used social network.

And why wouldn't it be... look at your age. ;)

That said, I gotta say I'm intrigued to see what will be the "in" social media 10yrs from now.

That, and phones... how the hell will THEY evolve in a decade?
I mean, they already do just about everything now-- and the iPhone has barely been out 9yrs, and Android even less.

einsteinboricua

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:00 am

LAX772LR wrote:
That said, I gotta say I'm intrigued to see what will be the "in" social media 10yrs from now.

That's hard to say, but unless Facebook makes an epic screwup, I foresee Facebook still being the biggest social network. Snapchat, Instagram, etc., these are just side things from a full social network.

cjg225

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:48 am

10 years is a really long time. While Facebook has been around 10+ years now, in the current age of technology and tastes, it could easily be dead by then.

That having been said, I think you're right, generally, that the dominant social media will be one that is full-spectrum like Facebook effectively is right now... but what "full-spectrum" will be in 2026 is an entirely different question.

dc10lover

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:31 am

I hate the built in apps i never use and can not uninstall. I do not do Facebook and the like. I watch youtube but i never use the google tv/movies app. As they say about computers, it is bloatware. So many apps i never update. I do not want to waste space on my smartphone.