Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LMP737
Topic Author

Trump wants SNL cancelled

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:05 pm

Well if Donald Trump has his way.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/16/opinions/ ... beidallah/

One of SNL earliest skits was Chevy Chase mocking Gerald Fords clumsiness. Every president and presidential contender has been made fun of on the show since it first aired. Yet as far as I know Trump is the first one ever to say that the show should be cancelled because he didn't like it.

Which is disturbing on a number of points. One, that he he so thin skinned that he sees this sort of thing as a personal attack. Two, that he seems to have a lot of time to talk about non-sense like this but little to time to explain actual issues. Three, it shows his authoritarian nature.

Dutchy

Re: SNL cancelled

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:13 pm

LMP737 wrote:
Well if Donald Trump has his way.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/16/opinions/ ... beidallah/

One of SNL earliest skits was Chevy Chase mocking Gerald Fords clumsiness. Every president and presidential contender has been made fun of on the show since it first aired. Yet as far as I know Trump is the first one ever to say that the show should be cancelled because he didn't like it.

Which is disturbing on a number of points. One, that he he so thin skinned that he sees this sort of thing as a personal attack. Two, that he seems to have a lot of time to talk about non-sense like this but little to time to explain actual issues. Three, it shows his authoritarian nature.

I suggest changing the title, SNL isn't canceled, Trump wants it canceled.

So we have Trump saying he will put Clinton behind bars, when he is president --> no more trias politica according to Trump
So we have Trump saying he will end SNL --> no more free press (Erdogan tried to do the same in Germany ;-))
So we have Trump saying racist things --> no more equality for Americans.

Yeah I can see why Trump must be elected, nov. 28th. :D

LMP737
Topic Author

Re: SNL cancelled

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Dutchy wrote:

I suggest changing the title, SNL isn't canceled, Trump wants it canceled.

I guess people didn't get the humor behind the original title of the post "SNL cancelled".

vikkyvik

Re: Trump wants SNL cancelled

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:24 pm

Per CNN, this is Trump's tweet:

"Watched 'Saturday Night Live' hit job on me. Time to retire the boring and unfunny show. Alec Baldwin portrayal stinks. Media rigging election!"

If I had a nickel for every time someone said a show should be cancelled, I'd be able to run for President.

Basically, who cares? So he doesn't like SNL and thinks it should be cancelled....

(the "media rigging election" comments are stupid, but nothing new)

flyingturtle

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:38 pm

I profoundly lament the sad reality that Tina Fey err... Sarah Palin isn't Mr. Drumpf's running mate.

David

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:02 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
Basically, who cares? So he doesn't like SNL and thinks it should be cancelled....

(the "media rigging election" comments are stupid, but nothing new)

I'm more concerned over the fact that the Constitution is good for his ilk when it suits them. The fact that he revokes access to the press, wants shows canceled for making fun of him (as if Clinton is left off without a hitch), among others, makes me believe the guy would go to great lengths to ensure that the 1st amendment is severely curtailed.

If he is not willing to take a joke on SNL, imagine if he becomes president. If a newspaper writes a critique about him, he'd sue or use Executive Action to shut the paper down (1st Amendment bars Congress from passing a law curtailing freedom of speech; a Trump-allied judge could say that a president has authority to use executive action if it's deemed necessary...there's nothing that says it can't be done per the Amendment).

petertenthije

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:37 pm

I can't wait for SNL to respond to this. If I were them I'd let SNL-Trump apologize for casting "himself" in a bad light. Followed by some other overdue apologies to amongst others Mexicans, women, Obama, muslims... this sketch could take a while.

Dutchy

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:44 pm

vikkyvik wrote:

Well every American should care, you can trash talk like this in a bar, no problem, but this man isn't just an average Joe, this man aspires to be your President. He basically says he wants the Presidency to be able to restrict criticism of the Presidency, well that wouldn't be out of place in Russia for instance.

vikkyvik

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:06 pm

Dutchy wrote:
He basically says he wants the Presidency to be able to restrict criticism of the Presidency

No he doesn't. He says he thinks SNL is not funny, and therefore it's time to pull the plug on the show.

I truly doubt he would use his executive power to shut SNL down.

There is plenty to dislike about Donald Trump. This barely deserves a glance.

seb146

Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:40 am

vikkyvik wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
He basically says he wants the Presidency to be able to restrict criticism of the Presidency

No he doesn't. He says he thinks SNL is not funny, and therefore it's time to pull the plug on the show.

He has threatened to sue newspapers over stories about him.

rfields5421

Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:59 am

Trumps standard tactic to deal with anything he sees as unflattering is to threaten to sue.

He has a lot of money in his business and employs some very good lawyers. That tactic works a lot, and when he does sue - he buries the opponent under a ton of legal paperwork. Most folks sign a settlement just to avoid going bankrupt trying to defend themselves.

What Trump doesn't understand is that as President, he won't be able to do such things.

He becomes a fair target for almost any criticism, and if he tries to sue someone, they can get a trial postponed until after Trump leaves office.

Trump thinks he has been under scrutiny as a celebrity. That's nothing, and he is learning it gets much much worse as Election Day gets closer.

But I do agree. SNL has become boringly repetitive. Chevy Chase was a brilliant comedian with a historic portrayal. Baldwin is a poor washed out rerun.

dragon-wings

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:00 am

And yet when Trump hosted SNL on Nov 7th 2015 he tweeted he had a good time. :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkLzSLkYnGc

Acheron

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:39 am

LMP737 wrote:
One, that he he so thin skinned that he sees this sort of thing as a personal attack.

That's always the case with the "anti-PC" crowd. They just want to be assholes to people but they don't want to be called out on it.

seb146

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:53 am

rfields5421 wrote:
Trumps standard tactic to deal with anything he sees as unflattering is to threaten to sue.

He has a lot of money in his business and employs some very good lawyers. That tactic works a lot, and when he does sue - he buries the opponent under a ton of legal paperwork. Most folks sign a settlement just to avoid going bankrupt trying to defend themselves.

What Trump doesn't understand is that as President, he won't be able to do such things.

He becomes a fair target for almost any criticism, and if he tries to sue someone, they can get a trial postponed until after Trump leaves office.

Trump thinks he has been under scrutiny as a celebrity. That's nothing, and he is learning it gets much much worse as Election Day gets closer.

But I do agree. SNL has become boringly repetitive. Chevy Chase was a brilliant comedian with a historic portrayal. Baldwin is a poor washed out rerun.

Just the fact that Trump keeps insisting that he can unilaterally make laws and that he alone, as president, would be above the law is frightening.

Anyone in the public eye is under scrutiny from comedians and pundits. This is no surprise. Hillary, Obama, McConnell, McCain... all of them have been made fun of. Those politicians may not like it, but so what? I always thought the late Phil Hartman did a brilliant Bill Clinton.

I just wonder how Trump would handle the Press Corps dinner?

dragon-wings

Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:07 am

I would hate to think what could happen if Trump is president and another leader says something he does not like!

LMP737
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:12 am

seb146 wrote:

I always thought the late Phil Hartman did a brilliant Bill Clinton.

Phil Hartman meet Bill Clinton after he was elected. He told Clinton he though he owed him an apology. Bill Clinton basically told him he didn't and that it came with the territory.
Last edited by LMP737 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dutchy

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:34 am

seb146 wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

He has threatened to sue newspapers over stories about him.

Sue-ing is something else then to pull the plug. Sue-ing means there is outside scrutiny by a judge, pulling the plug means he, as the highest office owner in the land, decides on his own that he doesn't like something and of it goes. That's dangerous and means of an authoritarian state, not a democracy.

Trump doesn't seem to understand that, so he will never be a good president. But heck, what do I know, I am just a foreigner with an opinion ;-)

Dutchy

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:36 am

seb146 wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:
I just wonder how Trump would handle the Press Corps dinner?

I think that would be painfully entertaining for the public. The first thing you must grasp is that you have to make fun of yourself before you can take a piss at others, I might suspect that in Trumps case he will forget about the first and jump right into the second. :-)

LMP737
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:48 am

Dutchy wrote:

Trump doesn't seem to understand that, so he will never be a good president. But heck, what do I know, I am just a foreigner with an opinion ;-)

As an American I'm at a loss as how to explain this whole electoral mess to someone from another country. Probably will never be able to do it.

flyingturtle

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:25 am

dragon-wings wrote:
I would hate to think what could happen if Trump is president and another leader says something he does not like!

I hope Mr. Trump would travel to the adversary nation to negotiate a good solution! The art of the deal! And that foreign country would just imprison him for the benefit of mankind... :P

David

Dutchy

Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:34 am

LMP737 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

As an American I'm at a loss as how to explain this whole electoral mess to someone from another country. Probably will never be able to do it.

Nope, and that is a shame, a country of 320m should be able to govern itself better. Hopefully it won't turn out like the mess of the 2000 elections.

seb146

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:07 pm

LMP737 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Phil Hartman meet Bill Clinton after he was elected. He told Clinton he though he owed him an apology. Bill Clinton basically told him he didn't and that it came with the territory.

Exactly the way to respond. I am positive Cheney hated all of the parodies of him. But, Cheney also understands it "comes with the territory." I doubt Trump gets it.

ER757

Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:29 pm

seb146 wrote:
LMP737 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Exactly the way to respond. I am positive Cheney hated all of the parodies of him. But, Cheney also understands it "comes with the territory." I doubt Trump gets it.

Not Cheney himself, but his wife was on the Daily Show once and she brought Jon Stewart a Darth Vader action figure and said her husband wanted him to have it. As evil a human as I think Cheney is, I had to give him credit on that one.

Hillis

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:10 pm

Trump keeps saying how tough he is. But, really, how is a guy who cannot handle a skit on a comedy show, or who gets into tweet storms with journalists and a beauty pageant contestant, going to be able to handle world leaders when they yank his chain?

The answer is, he won't be able to, which is why so many people fear putting this weak, insecure, ignorant man in the White House. He has no business even being considered for this responsibility, yet here he is, a major party nominee.

Amazing what we've come to.

neutrino

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:32 pm

dragon-wings wrote:

He will threaten to press the nuclear *button.
And the day when Rodrigo Duterte calls him a son of a w###e as he did Obama, Drumpf will actually press it.

*stating the obvious, but that of course is metaphorical since launching a nuclear weapon is not as simple as pressing a button.

neutrino

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Hillis wrote:
Trump keeps saying how tough he is. But, really, how is a guy who cannot handle a skit on a comedy show, or who gets into tweet storms with journalists and a beauty pageant contestant, going to be able to handle world leaders when they yank his chain?

So long as they don't grab him by his pussy.....I mean penis.

ER757

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:38 pm

Hillis wrote:

The answer is, he won't be able to, which is why so many people fear putting this weak, insecure, ignorant man in the White House. He has no business even being considered for this responsibility, yet here he is, a major party nominee.

Amazing what we've come to.

Amen, brother. Where's the checkmark smilie when we need it?

Revelation

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:03 am

Hopefully in a few weeks we'll care as much about Trump's opinions as we now do about Romney's, which is zilch.

LMP737 wrote:

George H. W. Bush got a kick out of Dana Carvey's impressions of him. He even had Mr & Mrs Carvey as overnight guests at the White House! GHWB was a class act. Too bad his son was not.

Revelation

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:09 am

ER757 wrote:
Amen, brother. Where's the checkmark smilie when we need it?

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Kinda brings a tear to the eye, doesn't it?

Image Image Image

einsteinboricua

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:28 am

Revelation wrote:
Hopefully in a few weeks we'll care as much about Trump's opinions as we now do about Romney's, which is zilch.

I pity Romney. Compared to the clown car of 2016 he seemed well grounded. His flaw was pivoting too far to the right. His 47% and binders full of women comments didn't help his cause, even if the message, in essence, was true (how there's a segment that will always vote Democrat, and how he sought female candidates for his term as governor).

Revelation

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:35 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
I pity Romney. Compared to the clown car of 2016 he seemed well grounded. His flaw was pivoting too far to the right.

Really? I remember that the far right deserted him because as a Mormon, he wasn't a Christian (sic).

The GOP is all messed up. It's no accident Trump became their candidate. Anyone too centerist will not get the hardcore right energized, and anyone too hardcore right won't win enough votes/states to win the election. Add to that the angry old white man demographic that is literally dying off, and the future is bleak for the GOP.

coolian2

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:29 am

Trump and the nuclear codes don't worry me. Why? He gives the order to launch, and the first person that order gets to is basically going to say "I don't think so, Sir"

PacificBeach88

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:33 am

coolian2 wrote:
Trump and the nuclear codes don't worry me. Why? He gives the order to launch, and the first person that order gets to is basically going to say "I don't think so, Sir"

You simply don't understand how the nuclear football works my friend. There is no "backup". POTUS can destroy our world in minutes. Period.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... nald-trump

coolian2

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:39 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

You simply don't understand how the nuclear football works my friend. There is no "backup". POTUS can destroy our world in minutes. Period.

That's less fucking oversight than the Soviets had!

PacificBeach88

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:47 am

coolian2 wrote:

Now do you understand why so many of us are terrified of an orange, short-fingered, vulgarian, getting the nuclear codes???

coolian2

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:55 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

Now do you understand why so many of us are terrified of an orange, short-fingered, vulgarian, getting the nuclear codes???

Hang on a second, I'm just going to make sure I've never Tweeted at him....

dragon-wings

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:47 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

In the presidential debate tonight Hillary said it takes 4 minutes from the time the POTUS orders a launch to the missile getting in the air.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:11 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

So there's not going to be a Jack Ryan-type veto as per The Sum of All Fears?

That is scary...

coolian2

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:19 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
PacificBeach88 wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

So there's not going to be a Jack Ryan-type veto as per The Sum of All Fears?

That is scary...

No issue, he won't win

neutrino

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:57 pm

coolian2 wrote:
...he won't win

He will win.........sometime in infinity. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: