Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAX772LR
Topic Author

The evolution of smartphones, 10yrs out?

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:35 pm

Next June marks the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, with September 2018 doing the same for Android.

....these are devices the size of a candy bar that function as computers, maps, cameras, GPS, ebooks, radios, televisions-- and telephones. Heck, the Galaxy Note also functions as an IED. :roll:

They basically do everything short of telepathy, now-- so what do you guys think will be the evolution of phones for a decade from now: what do you think they'll be able to do/offer/provide, that they don't now?

What would you most LIKE for them to do?

DocLightning

Re: The evolution of smartphones, 10yrs out?

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:21 pm

I think that one direction they might take is a return to the flip-phone. As the displays get better and better it should be possible to design one that goes all the way to the end of a panel so that the phone can be unfolded into a larger device. Either the screen with flex or it will be two rigid elements that join end-to-end to give a seamless appearance. There will always be the two competing drives to offer a larger screen while offering a smaller device and a foldable smartphone is the obvious solution, but the execution of such a design is less than obvious.

I am also somewhat surprised that the Google Glasses enterprise didn't take. I think that with some work on the interface, the idea of a wearable device will take off. Apple has already gone in that direction by linking the Apple Watch to the phone, although I personally don't like the watch (needs to be charged every night and I can't swim with it).

But another thing I think that we will see is more integration of smartphones into other devices. So your phone will be able to wirelessly link to your laptop or your TV or your car (and with AppleCarPlay and the Android Auto this has already started). That will give these devices the functionality of your phone with a better interface for those devices.

We also may begin to see smartphones being used as devices in various professional settings. For example, I might be able to purchase an ultrasound probe that I can use with my phone. Other professions might get their own add-ons. I can carpenters and engineers finding a lot of use in these, too.

A lot of sci-fi writers have thought up the idea of using implantable devices, but that raises some serious medical ethics questions and also the rate of advancement is such that obsolescence would become an issue. It's a lot harder to replace an implanted device than a worn one or one that is carried in your pocket.

SmithAir747

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:31 pm

I'd love to see one with a teleporter app--just use the app to teleport myself to some other spot on Earth, like Star Trek!

SmithAir747

AirPacific747

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:09 pm

I think the display will be completely from edge to edge and I believe we're already getting close to that point.
Sharp has made a phone called Corner R which is indicating in which direction the displays will go. Basically no visible bezels from the front of the phones. In terms of functionality it's hard to tell what more can be done but I guess that's why some smartphone engineers earn big bucks, because they have to keep reinventing.

PacificBeach88

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:15 pm

SmithAir747 wrote:
I'd love to see one with a teleporter app--just use the app to teleport myself to some other spot on Earth, like Star Trek!

SmithAir747

While I would LOVE that feature SmithAir, my guess is the next step is for the camera and recording device to automatically start recording anytime a police officer is near and automatically uploads to your FB, Snapchat, Google, and Cloud places. And then next maybe upload the cop's body cam feed. Now that's a worthwhile feature for 35% of many Americans!

dfwjim1

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:23 pm

I was recently watching a episode of the TV show "Cannon" back from the 70s and the character Cannon had a big hand dial phone in his car that he used on a regular basis. Must have been quite the thing back then...LOL.

Ken777

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:23 pm

DocLightning wrote:
We also may begin to see smartphones being used as devices in various professional settings. For example, I might be able to purchase an ultrasound probe that I can use with my phone. Other professions might get their own add-ons. I can carpenters and engineers finding a lot of use in these, too.

From what I have read the medical field is going to be one of the largest users of smart phones - especially when tied to smart watches. I believe that Apple is working hard to expand sensors for the Apple Watch with direct links to other iOS devices. Add in sensors that can be integrated/connected to the iPhone and you can see probable directions.

DocLightning wrote:
A lot of sci-fi writers have thought up the idea of using implantable devices, but that raises some serious medical ethics questions and also the rate of advancement is such that obsolescence would become an issue. It's a lot harder to replace an implanted device than a worn one or one that is carried in your pocket.

That is available tight now. Look at Medtronics and their implanted devices. I have their Interested and will ned or surgery to have the battery replaced every 3 or so years. A friend has their internal cardiac monitor
with an internet connection that is brilliant - it got hm to the hospital before his heart attack hit. Lookng at issues like that could well open the door for a lot of consolidation of "internal electronics".

When you look at the future of the smart phones it might help to look at the knowledge, medicines and devices available in the year you were born. That partially shows the speed of development in medicine.

DocLightning

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:56 pm

[quote="Ken777"

That is available tight now. Look at Medtronics and their implanted devices. I have their Interested and will ned or surgery to have the battery replaced every 3 or so years. A friend has their internal cardiac monitor
with an internet connection that is brilliant - it got hm to the hospital before his heart attack hit. Lookng at issues like that could well open the door for a lot of consolidation of "internal electronics".[/quote]

Right, but these are purely medical devices that are used of medical necessity. CGM, insulin pumps, ICDs, etc. They are not sci-fi implanted devices that project images into the visual fields or allow someone to have a phone conversation using their left hand as the phone.

petertenthije

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:07 pm

Just give me better battery life and betterr durability. I want Nokia 3310 levels of ruggedness on my future smartphone. I don't care if the phone is a bit taller. I never understood the race to make the thinnest smartphone when everyone uses an aftermarket cover to avoid scratched and cracked screens.

jetwet1

Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:31 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
NHeck, the Galaxy Note also functions as an IED. :roll:

Coffee + monitor ..... Thank you for my laugh of the day.

dfwjim1 wrote:
I was recently watching a episode of the TV show "Cannon" back from the 70s and the character Cannon had a big hand dial phone in his car that he used on a regular basis. Must have been quite the thing back then...LOL.

Yep, my first portable phone was the size of a briefcase, normal shaped handset with the keypad on the back and a massive battery pack attached to it.

Where will we go from here, better interactions with your smart house.

petertenthije wrote:
Just give me better battery life and better durability.

That sums it up for me.

Klaus

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:22 am

More contextual intelligence, less having to fiddle with separate pieces of software (and less having to be aware of separate pieces of software all the time) and the device acting as a situation-aware assistent rather than as a collection of (relatively) dumb tools today, as useful as those tools can still be compared to not having them at all.
Better integration of separate devices and external services, but at the same time with an intelligent immune system defending the user's privacy.
This will take quite a bit of heavy lifting to get there, but the limitation will increasingly be the software, less and less the hardware as such.

Revelation

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:56 am

I think the smartphone is going the way of the laptop in terms of innovation. My phone and pretty much everyone elses is big enough to do everything we want to do with a handheld and any bigger will be too big. I can't think of another function I want it to do that it isn't doing already. I could wish it does things smoother and in some cases quicker but a lot of that is a function of the software and the network connection as opposed to the phone itself. It's kind of a shame since it's innovation that drives the market forward. Once that stagnates it becomes mostly about building things cheaper. The reason so many laptops are so crappy is they no longer compete on adding new functions, they largely compete on price, and the only way to retain a profit is to build them cheaper.

dfwjim1 wrote:

Not really. The coverage back then was nothing like what it is now. It was largely a vanity item.

aerorobnz

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:06 am

One that doesn't explode would be nice.. It depends on how the limited noble elements supply lasts. Eventually we will talk of lack of resource an the environemtally unfriendly methods of mining in the same way we are for fossil fuels.

I just want to have a smaller phone but with the folding screen tech like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKG7XRsG9KQ

ltbewr

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:33 am

Better interfaces so people with small fat fingers or older persons with poor eyesight can use them easier.
Eventually many smart phones will be the computer of many people, just hook it up by Bluetooth to a larger flat screen at home or work, no need for a separate computer or tablet.The 'Cloud' to provide most storage of data, pictures. Already one can get 256GB MicroSD chips for some Samsung phones, in 10 years, it might be 1GB. on a SD chip.

dc10lover

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:59 am

I am glad my windows xp computer died. Allowed me to dump Comcast / Xfinity, save me $55+/month. I do everything on my smartphone now. I don't vote cause i consider politics nonsense. I bet soon you will be able to vote via smartphones.

coolian2

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:18 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Heck, the Galaxy Note also functions as an IED. :roll:

I don't agree with everything you post, but that was legitimately hilarious. It did also make me side-eye my new Galaxy tablet.

seb146

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:57 am

dc10lover wrote:
I am glad my windows xp computer died. Allowed me to dump Comcast / Xfinity, save me $55+/month. I do everything on my smartphone now. I don't vote cause i consider politics nonsense. I bet soon you will be able to vote via smartphones.

For the love of all that is sacred and holy, no. Just no.

I just turned in my paper ballot. We all know how easy it is to manipulate electronic voting machines. Imagine the nightmare voting by smartphone would be in this country?

BNE

Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:24 am

petertenthije wrote:
Just give me better battery life and betterr durability. I want Nokia 3310 levels of ruggedness on my future smartphone. I don't care if the phone is a bit taller. I never understood the race to make the thinnest smartphone when everyone uses an aftermarket cover to avoid scratched and cracked screens.

Yep a better battery life and durability for me as well.

I would rather not have to travel on a weekend trip and have to worry about having to find a power source on an overnight trip.

There are a few hardware and software tweaks that are still to be developed.

When I am home; it would be good to have it automatically connected to your phone ringer; in the past you hardly ever missed your home phone ringing but with the phone being smaller it is not as loud.

There is a GPS and camera built in which is great but a sensor to measure distance would be good, and I am sure that there are other medical devices that can be designed with the mobile phone,

If the current usage of said machine is hand held then there is no reason why that chip can't be added into the phone as well.

Connecting to a screen and or keyboard would be handy as well; I almost wouldn't need the laptop I am using now, I know the Ipad is close but it still doesn't really replace the home or office laptop.

PacificBeach88

Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:58 am

dc10lover wrote:

So you're interested in voting via smartphone, but don't vote now because it's "nonsense"? :?

PacificBeach88

Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:03 am

coolian2 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I don't agree with everything you post, but that was legitimately hilarious. It did also make me side-eye my new Galaxy tablet.

When I first read that I thought he had typed IUD. I was trying to imagine how you could use a smartphone as a birth control device. LOL!

Revelation

Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:23 am

seb146 wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

For the love of all that is sacred and holy, no. Just no.

I just turned in my paper ballot. We all know how easy it is to manipulate electronic voting machines. Imagine the nightmare voting by smartphone would be in this country?

And yet most of us manage to sleep at night knowing any savings we've earned in our lifetimes is nothing more than some bits on a hard drive somewhere, not paper and certainly not gold -- strange, isn't it?

BNE wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

Yep a better battery life and durability for me as well.

I would rather not have to travel on a weekend trip and have to worry about having to find a power source on an overnight trip.

There are a few hardware and software tweaks that are still to be developed.

When I am home; it would be good to have it automatically connected to your phone ringer; in the past you hardly ever missed your home phone ringing but with the phone being smaller it is not as loud.

There is a GPS and camera built in which is great but a sensor to measure distance would be good, and I am sure that there are other medical devices that can be designed with the mobile phone,

If the current usage of said machine is hand held then there is no reason why that chip can't be added into the phone as well.

Connecting to a screen and or keyboard would be handy as well; I almost wouldn't need the laptop I am using now, I know the Ipad is close but it still doesn't really replace the home or office laptop.

Re: Everything to the cloud: I'm pretty leery of cloud storage, it's an amazing opportunity for others to control access to your extremely valuable personal information.

Re: Smart phone as laptop replacement: yes, there's many ways to do it: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... d+keyboard

Flighty

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:15 am

Smartphones are a mature technology.

I do think wearable computers are a thing. Smartphones are as powerful as your laptop now. There is no big reason to own a computer anymore. Batteries are a really tiresome issue I agree. My iPhone 5 can't last a day even after I replaced the battery. The CpU simply has to work too hard.

Braybuddy

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:20 am

LAX772LR wrote:
What would you most LIKE for them to do?

An app to zap the signal of any other device within several metres radius would be nice, and fun too. . . :D

lugie

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:59 am

I imagine that the areas in which we'll see most improvements are screen, camera, battery life and general durability:

In terms of screen for example I'm still astounded to see that the newest iPhone 7 plus merely features a 1080p display and the smaller variants even less. Many Android-ran phones have already been using 2k for a few generations and now even 4k displays so I guess that will become more of a norm. Also I expect more and more frameless screens.

Cameras have gone long ways already, but they can still improve a lot, I am impressed by the way the dual-lens on the iPhone 7+ enables optical zoom without compromising width of the device. On the other hand, Samsung and Sony have their new dual-pixel technology which can achieve really amazing results in bad lighting.

Battery life of course should improve by large margins but I see potential for this - batteries are probably among the most researched technology at the moment (not only for phones)

Last but not least in terms of general durability, I believe full waterproofing will become a basic standard and new hardened glass should help with shockproofing.

Klaus

Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:20 pm

lugie wrote:
I imagine that the areas in which we'll see most improvements are screen, camera, battery life and general durability:

In terms of screen for example I'm still astounded to see that the newest iPhone 7 plus merely features a 1080p display and the smaller variants even less. Many Android-ran phones have already been using 2k for a few generations and now even 4k displays so I guess that will become more of a norm. Also I expect more and more frameless screens.

This is a non-issue with properly designed displays.

I’m using an iPhone 6 with the same resolution as the iPhone 7 and I can’t see any pixels any more. A higher resolution would just mean higher battery consumption , slower graphics and have no actual benefit in return.

The ultra-high resolutions in some other devices have only one practical use and that’s being mounted in those VR headsets. Since those are hardly more than a gimmick and a passing fad with no real use (and no interest from me) I’ll pass.

OLED displays also often use a quality-degrading PenTile subpixel matrix which needs very high resolutions to make it at least somewhat less obvious, but LCDs as in the iPhones have proper RGB subpixels and don’t have that problem anyway.

Battery life of course should improve by large margins but I see potential for this - batteries are probably among the most researched technology at the moment (not only for phones)

It would not be a problem today to build devices with double the battery life (or more), but demand for those is actually relatively small when looking at the very few niche products of that kind.

coolian2

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:05 pm

PacificBeach88 wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

When I first read that I thought he had typed IUD. I was trying to imagine how you could use a smartphone as a birth control device. LOL!

I don't know, I probably wouldnt sleep with someone with an iPhone.

Not like offers are exactly rolling in.....

Mortyman

Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:57 pm

Norwegian technology behind the world's first comprehensive mobile screen

BEIJING (NRK): Xiaomi Mix is the world's first mobile phone with a screen that runs right out to the edges. The phone is Chinese. But the technology inside is Norwegian.

Norwegian ultrasound technology

Xiaomi Mix is as big as the iPhone 7+, but has 23% more screen area.

The Norwegian company Elliptic Labs has commercialized Norwegian developed ultrasound technology, which makes it possible to send audio and detect proximity to the ear through the panel glass. The developers are picked by Norwegian technology environments in the oil and health industry.

https://www.nrk.no/urix/norsk-selskap-g ... 1.13194640

rfields5421

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:20 pm

I have no clue.

One thing I learned working in IT is that we can predict evolutionary changes, but we cannot predict revolutionary changes that will completely change the products and the market.

717atOGG

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Well, personally, I think the next 10 years will be evolutionary, not revolutionary. I believe that phones will keep the same form factor, and get bigger batteries, more storage (I think that eventually phones will come with 64 GB of storage standard), and have faster processors. I think that we've maxed out the practical phone size, and I think that Apple has hit the sweet spot in resolution, because 326 ppi on my iPhone 6 is all that I need, and I think 400+ ppi only helps with VR, and except for that there's really no difference, just a negative effect on battery life.