Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747400sp
Topic Author

Plans to lower trucks and buses speed in the United States

Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:50 am

Hello

There are plans to lower CMV's ( Commercial Motor Vehicle ) speed in the United States, to 68, 65 or 60 mph. Now as a driver, who has driven, tractor trailers, a motorcoach, double deckers, school buses and retired transit buses, I feel that this new rule is a disrespectful to most professional drivers, and will give 4 wheelers, a chance to cut us off more. Now on the logical side, I believe this rule is a good ideal for safety.

Here the link

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... story.html

PacificBeach88

Re: Plans to lower trucks and buses speed in the United States

Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:13 am

I think the idea is stupid. Highway accidents go up when there are many vehicles going at various speeds. The closer the difference in speeds (regardless of 60MPH, 70MPH, etc..) accidents go down.

Dutchy

Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:26 am

Common practice in Europe. In The Netherlands the limit is 80km/h for trucks and think busses too, but I am not sure about that. For luxury cars it is, 100km/h / 120km/h / 130km/h. And we, in The Netherlands, have some of the safest roads in the world. Don't think that should be a problem.

ltbewr

Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:50 am

Already many heavy trucks in the USA owned by fleets have speed limiters set at 62-68 MPH (100 - 110 Kph) for improved fuel economy and reduce fuel costs. Many did so when diesel was much higher priced a few years ago. Some states already have on major roads lower speed limits, especially at night, for heavy trucks. Electronic GPS monitoring of fleet trucks also means seeing where their trucks are going too fast. Other reasons for speed limiters on trucks include major safety benefits, lower insurance costs, less wear and tear on tries and other components as well as fewer speeding tickets as to drivers.
There are some disadvantages in the USA as to such speed limiters. On 2 lane (in each direction) major roads like interstate highways, a truck that can go up to 68 will pass one that can only go 66 MPH, clogging the passing lane for others.
Another big problem for trucks that is developing is that lower speeds can mean fewer miles that can be covered and with more strict regulation on limits on time a driver can spend on the road in a set time period along with electronic log monitoring, sets up unintended problems. Here in my area of New Jersey, there are way too few places truck drivers can park when they have to be off the road for mandated rest periods. Many are going to face pulling over to any wide spot on the road, face harassment from police for sound safety reasons but can't move due to off the road mandates. If were able to drive faster, they might be able to get to a place where they can legally park and not face time limit penalties.

PacificBeach88

Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:55 am

Dutchy wrote:
Common practice in Europe. In The Netherlands the limit is 80km/h for trucks and think busses too, but I am not sure about that. For luxury cars it is, 100km/h / 120km/h / 130km/h. And we, in The Netherlands, have some of the safest roads in the world. Don't think that should be a problem.

May I ask if you've spent much time driving on the interstates / highways here in the USA? I wish we could get our drivers here to be as disciplined as some of the countries in Europe. But then again driving in Rome and Athens is pure lunacy. ;)

Dutchy

Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:15 am

PacificBeach88 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

May I ask if you've spent much time driving on the interstates / highways here in the USA? I wish we could get our drivers here to be as disciplined as some of the countries in Europe. But then again driving in Rome and Athens is pure lunacy. ;)

Have you tried Paris, or Barcelona? That's intensive driving.

I have driven from Boston -> Montreal -> Quebec city --> Acadia National Park, Maine --> Boston. This was back in 2010. What I remember it was fine, quite relaxed, low traffic. But then again I am used to drive in the west of The Netherlands which is basically one city with a big park in the middle ;-)

Aesma

Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:56 pm

I give you Naples as the worst driving experience in Europe I've had, and Casablanca my worst overall.

110Km/h for a heavy truck is crazy in my opinion. Nothing to do with the driver and his/her abilities, much more to do with the brakes and overall ability (or rather, inability) of a truck to stop in a short distance, without jack knifing, and the simple fact that mass*speed means a fast heavy truck is a danger for other road users.

LH748

Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:00 am

I think that big speed differences among vehicles on the road are far more dangerous than trucks that drive a little faster. As a German I know how dangerous it can be to have extreme speed differences on feeways as we have several freeways without any speed limit for cars. As a car driver I found driving in the US to be far more relaxed and safe than it appears to me in Germany. However, driving in the Netherlands is also very nice and relaxing as there are speed limits for cars and trucks and drivers seem to be less aggressive in general. Yet, I think that the current speed limits for trucks should not be changed.