Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

steveinbc
Topic Author

RTW Fares

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:25 pm

I am seriously thinking about taking 6 months off work and going on a round-the-world (RTW) fare with one of the alliances. I would prefer (of course) to go business class since the price differential isn't vast for the flights and journey involved. Trouble is, I am not getting very far on the Star Alliance, OneWorld or SkyTeam sites with their planners because they all seem to crap out when you are more than half way there! I have read the rules carefully and avoided the doubling back and always keep going in one direction but still no success. The alternative is to call the airline you would commence the RTW trip with and work it out with them. But I don't want to spend an age with a call taker to construct a fare and then feel under an obligation to buy on the phone - I would much rather attempt to construct an ideal routing myself before buying.
Anyhow, has anyone (truthfully) been successful in constructing a RTW fare? If so - what tips can you provide please? Thanks

PacificBeach88

Re: RTW Fares

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:42 pm

The last time I did a RTW fare I bought an open one. Granted, it's been 10 years ago, but I bought one with a simple 3 day advance booking for the next city, and moving forward. I had taken 1 year off, and wasn't sure where I was going. Granted, I may have paid more for that type of ticket but I never thought about anything else. I used an agent to book it. *shrug* Sorry.

777Jet

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:22 am

steveinbc wrote:
I am seriously thinking about taking 6 months off work and going on a round-the-world (RTW) fare with one of the alliances. I would prefer (of course) to go business class since the price differential isn't vast for the flights and journey involved. Trouble is, I am not getting very far on the Star Alliance, OneWorld or SkyTeam sites with their planners because they all seem to crap out when you are more than half way there! I have read the rules carefully and avoided the doubling back and always keep going in one direction but still no success. The alternative is to call the airline you would commence the RTW trip with and work it out with them. But I don't want to spend an age with a call taker to construct a fare and then feel under an obligation to buy on the phone - I would much rather attempt to construct an ideal routing myself before buying.
Anyhow, has anyone (truthfully) been successful in constructing a RTW fare? If so - what tips can you provide please? Thanks

My last RTW was in 2004 and I booked through a travel agent and I paid about $2,500 AUD on OneWorld staying on QF, AA and BA metal (and one JQ flight). I flew a route like BNE-SYD-LAX-DFW-AUS-ORD-JFK-LHR-BKK-SYD-OOL. It was a one year ticket from memory and there were more destinations in it but I had to return to work early due to circumstances beyond my control so after LHR they took out a few European & Asian destinations for a tiny fee and got me straight home. I was so glad I went through a travel agent. The first time I went in to the travel agent I had done my research and gave them a rough itinerary written down on paper. I said "I can get something similar to this for $X from here". Then I said something like "I'm on my lunch break now and have to get back to work so here is my mobile number, or I can contact you in a few days, and let me know what you can come up with". Anyway, that's how I did it. I worked out what I wanted in advance but still booked through the travel agent.

steveinbc
Topic Author

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:24 am

Thanks 777Jet From my experience of the excellent standards of Australian air travel and travel agent service, you probably did the right thing. Unfortunately, most travel agents in Canada suck! But thanks again, I will give it a try and see!

777Jet

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:41 am

steveinbc wrote:
Thanks 777Jet From my experience of the excellent standards of Australian air travel and travel agent service, you probably did the right thing. Unfortunately, most travel agents in Canada suck! But thanks again, I will give it a try and see!

You're welcome. I used a Flight Centre branch on the Gold Coast at the time.

Remember to make them aware that you know you stuff, especially what you should be expecting to pay. They want your business, and if they know they can't rip you off, they are hopefully going to be more likely to offer you a very competitive price.

Use a website like the following (sorry, it's an AU website) to find out what you should expect to pay for a similar itinerary, then hit up the travel agent:

http://www.statravel.com.au/round_world ... vQodluIDqQ

We used to have a website called something like bestflights.com.au and their RTW deals were awesome, to give you an idea, but I can't find them anymore...

Let me know how you go. Good luck!