Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

csturdiv
Topic Author

Chicago Cubs have made me very happy

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:29 pm

Yesterday the Chicago Cubs made me a very happy man, advancing to the World Series for the first time since 1945. Much like a lot of Chicagoans and other fans, I have never seen them play in the World Series. Was fun to watch the celebrations inside Wrigley and outside of Wrigley after the game, until ESPN Australia cut away to other programming. I just wish that I was back in Chicago so that I could be there to experience it first hand. I can see a few sick days coming soon. (cough) (cough)

PacificBeach88

Re: Chicago Cubs have made me very happy

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:08 am

Go Cubbies!

Revelation

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:58 am

Was out and about in Boston today and must say everyone was happy to see the Cubs in the World Series. We know what it's like to wait a long time for a World Series victory! :D Also they have the former Sox GM and a few former Sox players, and there isn't much love for Cleveland after they swept the Sox.

csturdiv
Topic Author

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:40 am

There is another American expat down here in our Sydney office, and he is from New England, I think Maine, and he is a huge Sox fan. After the Sox-Indians series, he told me that he was going for the Cubs now.

sccutler

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:58 am

Was in Chicago for a few days, and it was hard not to catch the enthusiasm. Hard not to pull for the Cubs, and the way they played last night was simply inspired, artful baseball.

NOLAWildcat

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:07 am

Despite the fact the Cubs aren't "my" team, I spent plenty of evenings in the beautiful disaster that is Wrigley when attending college in the Chicago area. I'm (along with a boatload of friends) excited to see the Cubs finally make it back to the World Series. Hoping they get off the schnide!

Go Cubs Go!

vikkyvik

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:14 am

After the Red Sox lost, I was actually having a tough time deciding who I wanted to win it all.

Pros (mostly what former Sox they have):
Dodgers - Dave Roberts is the manager, nothing more needs to be said, and they also have Rich Hill (I also live in LA, but that doesn't really matter).
Indians - Terry Francona is the manager, nothing more needs to be said, though they also have Mike Napoli and Brad Mills.
Cubs - Theo Epstein is the GM, nothing more needs to be said, but they also have Jon Lester and David Ross.

Cons:
Dodgers - I live in LA, and don't particularly like Dodger fans.
Indians - nothing really negative. I don't generally root against the team that beat my team.
Cubs - nothing negative.

So ultimately, I'm happy the Cubs are in the WS, and it would be great for them to win.

mayor

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:29 am

vikkyvik wrote:
After the Red Sox lost, I was actually having a tough time deciding who I wanted to win it all.

Pros (mostly what former Sox they have):
Dodgers - Dave Roberts is the manager, nothing more needs to be said, and they also have Rich Hill (I also live in LA, but that doesn't really matter).
Indians - Terry Francona is the manager, nothing more needs to be said, though they also have Mike Napoli and Brad Mills.
Cubs - Theo Epstein is the GM, nothing more needs to be said, but they also have Jon Lester and David Ross.

Cons:
Dodgers - I live in LA, and don't particularly like Dodger fans.
Indians - nothing really negative. I don't generally root against the team that beat my team.
Cubs - nothing negative.

So ultimately, I'm happy the Cubs are in the WS, and it would be great for them to win.

Just as an FYI, Rich Hill is also an ex-Cub

Having said that, I'll root for the Cubs as I have for about 51 years now. Oddly enough, in the late 50s, I was a White Sox fan and rooted for Gary Peters, Nellie Fox and Pete Ward (and others). Then for some reason that only a young boy knows (and has forgotten) I changed to the Cubs and have put up with the ups and downs over the years. My wife looked over at me during the last inning, last night and saw that I was a little weepy eyed. But I think she understands now what my reaction was.

LAX772LR

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:13 am

This is the bar I was at yesterday, at the moment they won it..... hope you're not in a sound-sensitive area if you click this! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmksIf3TiYk

seb146

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:01 am

I think watching baseball is only slightly more entertaining that watching paint dry. That being said, I really hope the Cubs win. A lot has changed since their last win. Three new states, Moon landings, television. It is also quite possible that people who were alive and saw Civil War battles were alive the last time the Cubs won the World Series.

bmacleod

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:53 pm

Don't forget Teddy Roosevelt was President.

The Model Ford T was produced among other notable events of 1908...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1908_in_the_United_States

wingman

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:55 pm

Just to be contrarian here's one person at least rooting for the Indians. My old man was born in Cleveland in 1939 and saw his one and only series win at the age of nine. I'll be wearing his Indians cap for the next two weeks and hoping I get to savor another championship on his behalf. Chicago has enough sports glory to last a lifetime and Cleveland just got its first taste in decades last year, so I'm not buying the whole 1908 "reasoning".

izbtmnhd

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:07 pm

wingman wrote:
Just to be contrarian here's one person at least rooting for the Indians. My old man was born in Cleveland in 1939 and saw his one and only series win at the age of nine. I'll be wearing his Indians cap for the next two weeks and hoping I get to savor another championship on his behalf. Chicago has enough sports glory to last a lifetime and Cleveland just got its first taste in decades last year, so I'm not buying the whole 1908 "reasoning".

Loved "Major League". Hooked on the Indians and Cleveland ever since (even if Major League was filmed in Milwaukee). Love their fans and love that city. Hopefully Cody Allen isn't Jose "$%&*#$%" Mesa!

Tuesday will be another awesome day for the city of Cleveland. NBA Champs ring/banner ceremony followed by World Series Game 1. Nice to see that city on the good side of things!

cjg225

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:15 pm

wingman wrote:

It's the longest drought in the history of major sports. While Cleveland as a city had lots of bad luck and Chicago has had lots of success with the Blackhawks, Bears, Bulls, and White Sox, individually to a team and to a sport, this is huge.

I have no problem with Cleveland winning, but the curse on the Cubs has been talked about for a VERY long time and there are a lot of people who want to see it end.

izbtmnhd

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:31 pm

cjg225 wrote:
wingman wrote:

It's the longest drought in the history of major sports. While Cleveland as a city had lots of bad luck and Chicago has had lots of success with the Blackhawks, Bears, Bulls, and White Sox, individually to a team and to a sport, this is huge.

I have no problem with Cleveland winning, but the curse on the Cubs has been talked about for a VERY long time and there are a lot of people who want to see it end.

We'll see how many people don't have a problem with Cleveland winning on here.

I posted a Congrats to the Cavs thread last summer. Some people on here seemed to take real offense and wanted the thread closed. Mind you Cleveland had won zero titles in 52 years. Everywhere else people were nice and celebratory. I don't know what it is with some forumers on this site and having an issue with Cleveland. It is very weird.

luckyone

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:11 pm

I used to live about 3 blocks away from Wrigley and my apartment was so high up I could look directly down onto the stadium--I wish I had still been living there Saturday night. Currently, I live 5-6 blocks away from Wrigley Field. On a normal game night I only hear the crowd if I'm out walking my dogs. Saturday I could hear the crowd even with my windows closed. It was amazing.

mayor

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:53 pm

wingman wrote:

Any other sports "glory" that they've had means nothing, compared to this one. Let us have our moment in the sun, would ya?

wingman

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:15 pm

I'm on a conference call with my HQ's folks back in Chicago right now and they sound like they're all on fairy dust. I don't think I could handle this crowd if they won the Series. I'm just rooting for the old man though, I've spent a wonderful afternoon or evening at Wrigley. Truly last of the old school ball parks.

csturdiv
Topic Author

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:13 pm

I had to go back to the US and Chicago in June for a wedding. When I first got the "Save The Date", the first thing I checked was to see if the Cubs were in town. When I found out they were in Atlanta, I then asked my cousin if he could reschedule for a weekend when the Cubs were in town. I had to settle for driving past Wrigley while in town and watching them on TV, and a visit to the Cubs store in Water Tower Place where I picked up a few things to bring back home to Sydney.

LMP737

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:28 pm

LittleFokker

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:08 pm

I have now lived in the Chicago area for just over 4 years. I won't jump on the bandwagon and claim to be a Cubs fan (I don't really claim to be a fan of any team except for the Spurs of the NBA). However, until I moved to Chicago, I never lived in a city where the home team won their league's title that season (Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Houston - not exactly title towns there). I've now been spoiled with two Blackhawks Stanley Cups and potentially a Cubs World Series (which I imagine will be 3 times the level of the Blackhawks) - it's a fun spectacle to watch and observe.

Regardless of who wins though, this series could go 21 games and might end up being a battle of who chokes less. Cubs are the favorite, and rightly so, but Boston was expected to beat Cleveland, and the Injuns swept that series. Toronto was favored, and Cleveland dusted them in 5 games. I don't think they care that they are not favored in this series.

I want to get the hashtag #TFBWS going for "Tortured Fan Base World Series." Which fan bases believes they will blow this chance the least? Has there even been a championship match up of two teams who have been on a combined 174 year championship drought?

winstonlegthigh

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:17 pm

Sadly, Cleveland has absolutely no chance. The last time I said that was in the ALCS against Toronto, and prior to that- the ALDS against Boston. As a White Sox fan, I would love my team's division rival to prove me wrong just one last time this season. Go Tribe!

The Cavs somehow won their lopsided (albeit less comically so) matchup against Golden State for a Championship in June. I'll pray that whatever was in their water/gatorade found it's way to the Indians. If not, I just want it to end quickly.

Hillis

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:59 pm

A great night in Cleveland: the Indians open the World Series and the Cleveland Cavaliers and LeBron James will get their rings and raise their championship banner. I bet it will be crazy in their downtown area tonight.

winstonlegthigh wrote:
Sadly, Cleveland has absolutely no chance. The last time I said that was in the ALCS against Toronto, and prior to that- the ALDS against Boston. As a White Sox fan, I would love my team's division rival to prove me wrong just one last time this season. Go Tribe!

The Cavs somehow won their lopsided (albeit less comically so) matchup against Golden State for a Championship in June. I'll pray that whatever was in their water/gatorade found it's way to the Indians. If not, I just want it to end quickly.

You haven't watched that team in the post-season then. Their shut down the best two offenses in the American League, and they have the Super Reliever, Andrew Miller. they have a terrific chance since, like Chicago, Cleveland doesn't lose at home very often. And I don't understand how the NBA Finals were "lopsided" in your estimation? Lopsided would be a 4 and out. That series went 7 games.

winstonlegthigh

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:58 pm

Hillis wrote:
A great night in Cleveland: the Indians open the World Series and the Cleveland Cavaliers and LeBron James will get their rings and raise their championship banner. I bet it will be crazy in their downtown area tonight.

winstonlegthigh wrote:

You haven't watched that team in the post-season then. Their shut down the best two offenses in the American League, and they have the Super Reliever, Andrew Miller. they have a terrific chance since, like Chicago, Cleveland doesn't lose at home very often. And I don't understand how the NBA Finals were "lopsided" in your estimation? Lopsided would be a 4 and out. That series went 7 games.

I know what they did to Boston and Toronto, and I know about Andrew Miller. Like I said, I want the Indians to prove me wrong one more time. That said, the Indians are still pretty banged up at the moment. The Cub pen shortens the game as well as Cleveland's does, and while Miller has been lights out this Postseason- how much better is he, really, than Chapman? The Cubs literally pencil in an All-Star team onto the lineup card every night, and have a perfectly healthy and terrifying 1-3, with Lackey being a very capable 4th starter. There isn't any team I would want to face less.

Being a White Sox fan, I see Cleveland play often. Going into the season, on paper at least, I wasn't worried about them much- and yet the White Sox couldn't figure them out for anything. Despite that, they still never gave me the impression of being as automatic as they've shown to this point. I'd love for that to continue. They have quietly ran over the rest of the AL- I just think that the Cubs have been much more automatic, stacked (roster-wise), and are healthier (to the point that they're bringing back Kyle Schwarber for shits and giggles to DH in CLE) than the Indians. Again, I'll be strongly pulling for Cleveland every pitch of the series.

Regarding the Finals, what I meant was that Golden State was heavily favored, and for good reasons. I'm thrilled that the Cavs won, because a 73-9 season doesn't mean anything if it doesn't end with a trophy (reference to 1995-96 Bulls).

cjg225

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:21 am

winstonlegthigh wrote:

Um.... the Indians are actually favored.

Last night showed why. The Indians have barely hiccupped during the playoffs so far.

bmacleod

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:24 pm

Any chance President Obama will throw out 1st pitch in game 3 or 4?

777Jet

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:29 pm

winstonlegthigh wrote:
Sadly, Cleveland has absolutely no chance.

What say you now?

The Curse of the Billy Goat...

winstonlegthigh

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:34 pm

777Jet wrote:
winstonlegthigh wrote:
Sadly, Cleveland has absolutely no chance.

What say you now?

I say that was fun, give me 3 more. I'll buy an Indians hat if they win.
Last edited by winstonlegthigh on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmacleod

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:36 pm

True that teams winning Game 1 have won 12 or last 13 World Series.

But just look at the 1992 and 1996 Atlanta Braves they won Game 1 and lost both times.

Don't forget 30 years ago - 1986 World Series Boston - NY Mets. Can't think of a more painful series than that... :(

cjg225

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:15 pm

Well, the Indians have the best pitching staff of all the teams in the playoffs this season, so... that speaks very well to them winning this series.

bgm

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:43 pm

"World Series"? How many countries participate in this global event?

LMP737

Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:01 pm

In the end the Cubs will find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

winstonlegthigh

Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:10 pm

bgm wrote:

Haven't pored over this year's Cub/Indian roster demographics, but in 2015, 17 countries/territories were represented on Opening Day rosters (most was 18 in 1998). 26.5% of MLBers in 2015 were born outside the US.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/116591920 ... de-the-us/

northstardc4m

Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:58 pm

The bad news is EVERY time the Toronto Blue Jays have made the post season they have either won the World Series (92 & 93), or the team that beat them has
(85-KC, 89-OAK, 91-MIN, 15-KC)...

Ok not a huge sample and I really hope it's a trend the Cubbies break!

AND I really wish I'd bought those 2 World series home 1 (Wrigley/Cubs) standing room tickets online when i saw them... same type going for minimum USD1400 now on StubHub!

cjg225

Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:17 pm

bgm wrote:

Ah, there it is.

Somehow, we can never get past this question when discussing American pro sports championships. Every year... Same thing... It is stunning how much these terms in American pro sports bother people that they feel the need to constantly bring this up.

LMP737

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:04 pm

Mark my word, the Cubs will blow it in the end.

cjg225

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:30 pm

LMP737 wrote:

Really going out on a limb there with them down 1-0 already.

bgm

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:54 pm

cjg225 wrote:
bgm wrote:

Ah, there it is.

Somehow, we can never get past this question when discussing American pro sports championships. Every year... Same thing... It is stunning how much these terms in American pro sports bother people that they feel the need to constantly bring this up.

Well, why not change the name as it's simply not true. A "world" event involves more than one country. I just find it amusing that it's used with the implication that America is the world, at least in this context.

LittleFokker

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:03 pm

bgm wrote:
cjg225 wrote:
bgm wrote:

Ah, there it is.

Well, why not change the name as it's simply not true. A "world" event involves more than one country. I just find it amusing that it's used with the implication that America is the world, at least in this context.

Even the World Cup doesn't involve every country. How many countries even have a national soccer/football team? 80, 90? Out of 200 plus countries? And only 32 qualify for the actual event? Yes, it's a less silly name than the World Series, but wouldn't a "World" title connotate that everyone in the world participates?

Do we really want to go down this road right now?

cjg225

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:31 pm

bgm wrote:

No.

LittleFokker wrote:
Even the World Cup doesn't involve every country. How many countries even have a national soccer/football team? 80, 90? Out of 200 plus countries? And only 32 qualify for the actual event? Yes, it's a less silly name than the World Series, but wouldn't a "World" title connotate that everyone in the world participates?

Do we really want to go down this road right now?

Actually, I have to call this out. The World Cup IS a world event that involves everyone. You have to *qualify* for the World Cup, and, technically, everyone has a chance to qualify. It wouldn't work having all countries participate at the same time. Simply not possible. So it takes a long time with many events around the world to whittle it down to the teams that will participate in the main event.

LittleFokker

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:33 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Actually, I have to call this out. The World Cup IS a world event that involves everyone. You have to *qualify* for the World Cup, and, technically, everyone has a chance to qualify. It wouldn't work having all countries participate at the same time. Simply not possible. So it takes a long time with many events around the world to whittle it down to the teams that will participate in the main event.

My point was that not every country has a national football club, so even that event's name is somewhat of a misnomer, even if it is more global than the World Series. And since the Blue Jays made the playoffs this year, there was more than one country vying for the World Series.

mayor

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:33 pm

cjg225 wrote:
winstonlegthigh wrote:

Um.... the Indians are actually favored.

Last night showed why. The Indians have barely hiccupped during the playoffs so far.

Amazing these predictions after just one game............how is it, now, after game 2?

mayor

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:36 pm

bgm wrote:
cjg225 wrote:
bgm wrote:

Ah, there it is.

How about if you just don't worry about it. It seems like you're not a baseball fan, anyway, so what difference does it make?

mayor

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:39 pm

cjg225 wrote:
LMP737 wrote:

Really going out on a limb there with them down 1-0 already.

Apparently some of you have forgotten that it is a SEVEN game series, with it now tied at 1-1 and at Wrigley for the next three games.
Last edited by mayor on Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mayor

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:42 pm

LMP737 wrote:
In the end the Cubs will find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Have you even WATCHED this team at any time this year? If you had, you'd realize that it isn't the same old Cubs.

mayor

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:47 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Well, the Indians have the best pitching staff of all the teams in the playoffs this season, so... that speaks very well to them winning this series.

Once you get past Kluber their pitching staff is very beatable. Bauer didn't impress and the guy, tonight has given up 36 home runs this year, which doesn't bode well for him at a windy Wrigley Field, tonight. He also goes up against Kyle Hendricks, tonight..........the ERA leader in the NL this season.

mayor

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Hillis wrote:

winstonlegthigh wrote:

They may not lose at home very often, but since you posted this, they lost game TWO. BTW, the Cubs were 57-24 at home this year.

chrisjake

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:14 pm

Its Cleveland's year. C'mon Tribe!

chrisjake

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:19 pm

If anyone is tired of the Joe Buck and Kyle Shwarber love-fest, you can buy them one of their wedding gifts at their registry here: https://thankfulregistry.com/JoeandSchwarbs

awww, aren't they cute?

LittleFokker

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:49 pm

chrisjake wrote:
If anyone is tired of the Joe Buck and Kyle Shwarber love-fest, you can buy them one of their wedding gifts at their registry here: https://thankfulregistry.com/JoeandSchwarbs

awww, aren't they cute?

Funny, a large number of my Facebook friends are Cubs fabs, and they seemed convinced that Buck is biased against Chicago (using his dad's STL Cardinals ties as evidence). During the NLCS Buck couldn't stop raving about Clayton Kershaw. During NFL games, Buck has a gigantic Aaron Rogers boner.

I guess it just seems that there is universal hatred for Joe Buck and no one has ever been able to explain why he is FOX's #1 announcer.