Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DocLightning
Topic Author

GOP plans to dismantle SCOTUS

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:30 pm

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/c ... ade-230363

Share on Twitter
In a vintage return to his confrontational style, Sen. Ted Cruz indicated that Republicans could seek to block a Democratic president from filling the vacant Supreme Court seat indefinitely.

This is after Senator McCain said something to the same effect.

First of all, this shows the duplicity of the GOP leadership. They said that they would allow a nominee to be appointed after the election. But they actually had no such intention.

But second of all, I think it shows a GOP utter contempt for not only America but the Constitution and the idea of a democratic process. They said that they would "allow the American people to decide" by electing the next President. But that's not the reality. The reality is that even if the American people give the GOP a resounding smack-down, they will filibuster and use every procedural trick they have up their sleeves to prevent a new nominee to the Supreme Court.

On November 9th, Mr. Obama should appoint the most liberal candidate he can find to the Supreme Court and bypass the Senate. The Constitutional argument is that the Senate Majority leadership has said in writing that they will not hear any nominees. The Constitution states that a Justice is appointed with the "advice and consent" of the Senate. Without the Senate holding a hearing and actually rejecting a nominee, their advice is "we don't want to hear it" and that does not necessarily imply that the nominee is rejected. If the GOP doesn't like that outcome, they can sue. And the case can go to the Supreme Court. :)

seb146

Re: GOP plans to dismantle SCOTUS

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:58 pm

Republicans keep saying how much they love America and democracy but they do everything in their power to dismantle freedom and democracy while blaming "liberals" and Democrats.

Hillis

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:14 pm

When they can't win fairly and squarely, all the turn to is obstruction of the nations' business. They no longer put country first. Their allegiance is to a backward-looking, reality-denying ideology, and if they can't have that, they'd rather destroy the nation.

wingman

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:41 pm

Eight years of 100% 24/7/365 obstructionism must not have been satisfying enough. Is it because they're anti-Black and anti-Women that they won't work with a Democrat in the White House or is it possible they're ALL taking direct orders from the Kremlin now? I used to chuckle at all the threads about Dems moving to Canada, I suppose Trump voters are scouring Kayak for one way tickets to Pyongyang or Moscow instead.

All jesting aside, I honestly don't recognize the GOP anymore, they are literally willing to destroy the United States vs. take their lumps and rebuild on a saner platform. I truly cannot understand this madness.

OA412

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:02 pm

DocLightning wrote:
First of all, this shows the duplicity of the GOP leadership. They said that they would allow a nominee to be appointed after the election. But they actually had no such intention.

That's not entirely true. They do have every intention of allowing a nominee...as long as a Republican wins the White House... :roll:

wingman wrote:
All jesting aside, I honestly don't recognize the GOP anymore, they are literally willing to destroy the United States vs. take their lumps and rebuild on a saner platform. I truly cannot understand this madness.

Indeed. It's unfair to the vast majority of mainstream conservatives to call it a conservative party. The Democratic Party is much more a conservative party than today's Republican Party. The GOP has become a cesspool of angry, hate-filled, conspiracy theorizing, falsehood slinging, anti-education, anti-fact, anti-science loons. I'm happy it doesn't represent the majority of the American public, but even 1/4 is an alarmingly high number of people to believe the things most GOP politicians are spewing these days.

Here's a great editorial published in the Washington Post detailing what many of us have been saying all along, that Donald Trump is not an aberration, but a natural outgrowth of the the GOP's tacit support of the worst of right-wing TV and radio.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 722b833e73

Ken777

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:27 pm

It may be time for the GOP to start kicking the radicals out of the party. Let them get rid of the Tea Party and whatever party Trump is going to start. That gives the GOP to return to a rational, responsible party with moderates was the core. In other words, bring back America.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Ken777 wrote:
It may be time for the GOP to start kicking the radicals out of the party. Let them get rid of the Tea Party and whatever party Trump is going to start. That gives the GOP to return to a rational, responsible party with moderates was the core. In other words, bring back America.

How? They couldn't even stop a Trump nomination. Even back around 1990 they couldn't kick David Duke out.

The only realistic option is to start a third party and the few remaining reasonable Republicans can join it.

Dutchy

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:26 pm

What is wrong with American politics. Why can't politics do what they suppose to do and that is govern the land. This is just juvenal. I would say, vote them all out of office.

ContentCreator

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:17 pm

Dutchy wrote:
What is wrong with American politics. Why can't politics do what they suppose to do and that is govern the land. This is just juvenal. I would say, vote them all out of office.

What are you talking about? Nothing has changed about the governance of the nation in our life time. Government departments are functioning just like they have been, laws are being enacted, debated, and enforced in all 3 branches of government and things are functioning normally- just like they pretty much always have since the civil war.

This idea that the nation is in a state of political chaos needs to stop. We are having a slightly unusual election cycle that will ultimately end in an extremely close race- just like it always does. If an election is considered a landslide beating with a 5-8 point difference how much chaos can there really be?

The answer is not much at all.

afcjets

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:41 pm

wingman wrote:
I used to chuckle at all the threads about Dems moving to Canada, I suppose Trump voters are scouring Kayak for one way tickets to Pyongyang or Moscow instead.

That reminds me of this...

727LOVER

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:51 pm

afcjets wrote:
wingman wrote:
I used to chuckle at all the threads about Dems moving to Canada, I suppose Trump voters are scouring Kayak for one way tickets to Pyongyang or Moscow instead.

To answer your question:

1. It's too hot
2. I don't speak Spanish
3. More airports/airlines in Canada

EDIT:

And I do take note, that you did not answer the question of the topic

afcjets

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:36 pm

727LOVER wrote:

And I do take note, that you did not answer the question of the topic

Sorta like you did you mean?

727LOVER

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:11 pm

afcjets wrote:
Sorta like you did you mean?

LOL :lol: ya got me.

However, I agree with OP's analysis, so I didn't say anything

Hillis

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:08 am

ContentCreator wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

What are you talking about? Nothing has changed about the governance of the nation in our life time. Government departments are functioning just like they have been, laws are being enacted, debated, and enforced in all 3 branches of government and things are functioning normally- just like they pretty much always have since the civil war.

This idea that the nation is in a state of political chaos needs to stop. We are having a slightly unusual election cycle that will ultimately end in an extremely close race- just like it always does. If an election is considered a landslide beating with a 5-8 point difference how much chaos can there really be?

You're either ignorant or under 25 years old if you think that. During the Reagan years, a lot got done, because the GOP, through Reagan, and the Dems, through Speaker Tip O'Neil, worked together. They understood goodwill and compromise. It meant sometimes they got what they want, sometimes they didn't. It was like that really until the mid 1990's, when the GOP went Postal and started their years of investigating the Clintons, and shutting down the government if they didn't get their way.

There's always been partisanship, but it didn't get to point of stopping the nations' business, and it stopped at the waters' edge? Now? The GOP is already saying they will have investigation after investigation of President Hillary Clinton, block nominees for judgeships and government appointments, and one idiot wants to introduce efforts to impeach her on the day she takes office.

This is how you turn into a Third-World nation, not keep your status as a great power. The GOP cares nothing about Americans unless they're worth more than 7 figures. They don't care that nothing gets done. They're more than willing to take domestic partisan politics and inject it into international discourse like they did with Tom Cotton's stupid letter to Iran. They are destroying a free nation, and I believe that's what they want-a nation that, if they can't be in charge will just fall to pieces.

The last two weeks of the elections, the Democrats should pound and pound and pound the GOP on their assertions today that they'll muck up everything for the next 4 to 8 years if Trump doesn't win. These conservatives aren't patriots-they're traitors to the very idea of freedom as it has existed for 260 years.

ContentCreator

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:51 am

Hillis wrote:
ContentCreator wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

You're either ignorant or under 25 years old if you think that. During the Reagan years, a lot got done, because the GOP, through Reagan, and the Dems, through Speaker Tip O'Neil, worked together. They understood goodwill and compromise. It meant sometimes they got what they want, sometimes they didn't. It was like that really until the mid 1990's, when the GOP went Postal and started their years of investigating the Clintons, and shutting down the government if they didn't get their way.

There's always been partisanship, but it didn't get to point of stopping the nations' business, and it stopped at the waters' edge? Now? The GOP is already saying they will have investigation after investigation of President Hillary Clinton, block nominees for judgeships and government appointments, and one idiot wants to introduce efforts to impeach her on the day she takes office.

This is how you turn into a Third-World nation, not keep your status as a great power. The GOP cares nothing about Americans unless they're worth more than 7 figures. They don't care that nothing gets done. They're more than willing to take domestic partisan politics and inject it into international discourse like they did with Tom Cotton's stupid letter to Iran. They are destroying a free nation, and I believe that's what they want-a nation that, if they can't be in charge will just fall to pieces.

The last two weeks of the elections, the Democrats should pound and pound and pound the GOP on their assertions today that they'll muck up everything for the next 4 to 8 years if Trump doesn't win. These conservatives aren't patriots-they're traitors to the very idea of freedom as it has existed for 260 years.

Everyone needs to just calm down. Breathe. Things will be OK, I promise. Do you remember when Reagan literally dumped tractor trailer loads of documents to the democrats to delay their legislation? I do. Things were OK after that. Remember the 1990's when the government shut down and the major congressional changes that came with "The Contract." I certainly do. Things were OK after that. 9/11 and the literal war we were in...things were OK after that. Obama and the "total disaster" of healthcare? While things aren't perfect, nobody's being executed by death panels. We will be OK. Its just the election madness that has everyone in a tizzy.

If things were really anywhere near as bad as people claim people would be in the street actually voting for changes, marching, etc. But meanwhile the election will be relatively close with no real mandate for anything- so things must not really be that bad if people really aren't doing anything to change it.

wingman

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:26 am

Hillis is very close to spot on though I'd caution that even during most of Clinton's presidency deals were still made in the back halls (e.g. repealing Glass-Steagal aaahhhhh!) That's how it's always been. Even the Founding Fathers detested each other publicly, and privately too, but they understood the task at hand and ultimately compromised to lead the country forward. But what we've seen these past 8 years is unprecedented. History will not be kind one bit to the Republican House and Senate of these past 8 years. And it's because they abandoned the 240 year tradition of talking shit in public but compromising in private. THAT's how government is supposed to work and the problem is that the GOP has lost control of its own party by stoking the flames of racism, anti-education, misogyny, anti-trade, anti-competition etc etc. And now those flames are consuming the party, preventing even the private compromise that is fundamental to the advancement of the nation. I'll say it again, anyone that votes for Trump on Nov 9 is staring at a house in complete shambles and is deciding to just torch the place with themselves inside of it vs. rallying the neighborhood to clean it up.

Hillis

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:10 am

ContentCreator wrote:
Everyone needs to just calm down. Breathe. Things will be OK, I promise. Do you remember when Reagan literally dumped tractor trailer loads of documents to the democrats to delay their legislation? I do. Things were OK after that. Remember the 1990's when the government shut down and the major congressional changes that came with "The Contract." I certainly do. Things were OK after that. 9/11 and the literal war we were in...things were OK after that. Obama and the "total disaster" of healthcare? While things aren't perfect, nobody's being executed by death panels. We will be OK. Its just the election madness that has everyone in a tizzy.

If things were really anywhere near as bad as people claim people would be in the street actually voting for changes, marching, etc. But meanwhile the election will be relatively close with no real mandate for anything- so things must not really be that bad if people really aren't doing anything to change it.

Reagan and the Dems got things done because they understood that this government was about "The Art Of The Possible": the give and take where no one gets everything they want, but they try to put together something that is acceptable to the majority and could do some good. Now we have a party in the GOP that acts like a 3-year old if you won't give him his marbles, and either huffs away or holds his breath. They've lost the idea of how this government works at its best, even as imperfect as that is.

We have an entire wing of Congress that acts like little babies because they weren't put in charge. Maybe you think that's OK, but I don't. It's gotten in the way of investing in fixing our infrastructure, it got in the way for months with dealing with Zika, it turns into a showdown every freakin' time the debt ceiling needs to be raised, which was never a problem till the GOP started hating the black guy in the White House. It's interfering with the function of the United States Supreme Court, with lower Federal courts, and with filling key government positions.

This isn't normal, and this isn't acceptable. What do we get treated to by the GOP? 60 votes on getting rid of Obamacare, even though they have no replacement. We get vote after vote to defund Planned Parenthood. We still have the GOP going after ACORN, that doesn't even exist anymore. We have them threatening impeachment of Obama for the last 8 years for God-knows-what. We get serious legislation held up because the GOP wants to control a woman's reproductive rights.

The GOP is always bitching about how bad things are in the nation. But the GOP controls most statehouses. They control a majority of the governorships in the nation. They control both branches of the Congress. Maybe things are so bad because they as a party has no one who knows how to govern, and doesn't have the first clue as to how to move the nation forward.

But until these backward, uneducated, older white hicks die off, we'll keep getting guys like Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Louie Gohmert and James Inhofe in the halls of Congress, and governors like Scott Walker, Sam Brownback, Bobby Jindal and Pat McCrory.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:42 am

[quote="ContentCreator"
Everyone needs to just calm down. Breathe. Things will be OK, I promise. Do you remember when Reagan literally dumped tractor trailer loads of documents to the democrats to delay their legislation? I do. Things were OK after that. Remember the 1990's when the government shut down and the major congressional changes that came with "The Contract." I certainly do. [/quote]

So do I. And yet it made everything seem like a happy family compared to now with the literal dismantling of the Constitutional Republic and the basic model of three branches of government. One branch of government is LITERALLY trying to dismantle another branch. That has NEVER HAPPENED IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES SINCE THE CONSTITUTION WAS FIRST RATIFIED. It's horrifying and it may well end in some bloodshed.

casinterest

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:28 am

DocLightning wrote:
[quote="ContentCreator"

So do I. And yet it made everything seem like a happy family compared to now with the literal dismantling of the Constitutional Republic and the basic model of three branches of government. One branch of government is LITERALLY trying to dismantle another branch. That has NEVER HAPPENED IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES SINCE THE CONSTITUTION WAS FIRST RATIFIED. It's horrifying and it may well end in some bloodshed.

It's not a branch of government or even the whole republican party. However it is highly disturbing about how many members of the Republican party are more interested in persecuting folks instead of coming up with good , well thought out and workable plans to keep the country moving onward and forward.
It is probably time to start a new party in the center to just keep pushing the republican party of to the far right,

I do not think this will end in bloodshed, but recent comments by some trump supporters and even Trump himself are highly distrurbing. There are folks that actually buy into the theory of the rigged election. What they don't realize is that the congressional districts have long been rigged, and the presidential vote is still managed by Electoral votes.

ContentCreator

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:33 am

DocLightning wrote:
[quote="ContentCreator"
Everyone needs to just calm down. Breathe. Things will be OK, I promise. Do you remember when Reagan literally dumped tractor trailer loads of documents to the democrats to delay their legislation? I do. Things were OK after that. Remember the 1990's when the government shut down and the major congressional changes that came with "The Contract." I certainly do.

So do I. And yet it made everything seem like a happy family compared to now with the literal dismantling of the Constitutional Republic and the basic model of three branches of government. One branch of government is LITERALLY trying to dismantle another branch. That has NEVER HAPPENED IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES SINCE THE CONSTITUTION WAS FIRST RATIFIED. It's horrifying and it may well end in some bloodshed.[/quote]

It must be hard to live in a world where you think half the people you interact with are out to ruin the place where you live.

So what rights have you lost in the last few years? Oh, that's right, YOU GAINED THEM IN THE LAST 2 YEARS. At no time in history has more people been more free to do what they want. During all this MADNESS and the collapse of the union more people are free to live the way they choose. What a HORROR.

Why is a country of 300,000,000+ people just shaking their head and going to the polls in an orderly and normal fashion just like they always have? Not to mention nearly half the nation is supporting a candidate, Trump (or Clinton if you're in that camp), that is supposedly going to cause the largest upset in the history of the modern world. "Its all over if Trump (or Clinton) gets in."

How can that many people be so complacent if things are so HORRIBLE? All the intellectual power we have, the smartest people in the world, the ability to talk openly and the massive amount of discussion about how terrible it is...and there's really no disruption of society in any discernible way WHAT SO EVER. How can that possibly be?

blueflyer

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:53 am

Let's not forget Cruz doesn't speak for the GOP. In fact, the GOP, if there is such a thing still nowadays, doesn't seem to be a fan of his. That said, recent events do prove that not being liked by the core of the party is not an impediment anymore.

I may be too optimistic, but I do hope this presidential campaign has finally convinced the party that accepting just about every xenophobic, misogynistic, science-denying, opportunistic, flat-earther member in the name of political power has a price too high to bear. The bigger the loss, the more likely my optimism will become reality, I suspect.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:23 am

ContentCreator wrote:
So what rights have you lost in the last few years? Oh, that's right, YOU GAINED THEM IN THE LAST 2 YEARS. At no time in history has more people been more free to do what they want. During all this MADNESS and the collapse of the union more people are free to live the way they choose. What a HORROR.

Isn't that lovely? And now there is a political party trying to roll all that back. I don't think it's going to wind up in mass rebellion for precisely the reasons that you state. But the political divisions will lead to some violence. There will be domestic terrorism. Hell, the cops just broke up a plan to bomb a mosque and an apartment complex where a lot of Muslims live. Do you think that will be the end of it? If political extremism keeps getting worse to the point where it is openly trying to undermine the country, do you think those people will lie back and take it when an orderly vote doesn't turn out in their favor? Hell, Trump already said he wouldn't and that's just the first. Just the other day the governor of Kentucky predicted bloodshed in the event of an unfavorable outcome and he did so with gusto. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

Right now it's just words. But how long will that last?

And if there is no more Supreme Court, there will be a massive shift in the balance of power. During that kind of adjustment at least some skirmishes are bound to occur.

The country isn't going to erupt into violence in the next two weeks. But unless the GOP starts to play the cooperation game, I can see some political violence rising over the next few years. That's frightening.

seahawk

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:08 am

That is protecting the constitution because the Democrats aim to undermine the rights of the people like the 2nd amendment. The Republicans will accept every candidate who is pro guns, anti LGBT and anti apportion.

seb146

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:08 am

Dutchy wrote:

Money. In American government, money rules all. When people leave Congress, they go to big lobbying firms so they can make even more money. If those in Congress held a specific title, that power goes with them. Yes, it is stupid, but when people get into government, they do not want to change it because the money is too good.

seb146

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:01 am

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:35 pm

seb146 wrote:

Nah. That's one blow-hard. Democracy dies when a political party decides that democracy is inconvenient and sets about an insidious plan to dismantle it by rigging the election process in their favor (ever wonder why the GOP cannot lose the House?), suppressing opposing votes, and then eliminating the Supreme Court, which is the primary balance on their ability to proceed with impunity.

MaverickM11

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:08 pm

afcjets wrote:
wingman wrote:

I've never understood whining about "political correctness"--what is the threat and who is it hurting? Just seems like a red flag that anyone whining about it is dumb as a box of rocks...

Hillis

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:15 pm

seahawk wrote:
That is protecting the constitution because the Democrats aim to undermine the rights of the people like the 2nd amendment. The Republicans will accept every candidate who is pro guns, anti LGBT and anti apportion.

Yeah, we've heard that "Obama is goinna take your guns" crap for 8 years now. How many guns has he taken? Oh, zero you say?

You see, that "boy who cried wolf" idiocy will only last so long. There are idiots who buy it every time. They're alredy saying the same thing about Hillary coming for your guns, and it's a bald-faced lie.

The Republicans should accept anyone who is qualified for the position. You're advocating for what I was harping on earlier, this "either we get our way or nothing gets done " mentality. And all that does is screw the nation up.

Hillis

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:17 pm

ContentCreator wrote:

Yes, he's gained the right to marry, but it's in no thanks to conservatives, who still want to deny him that right in the Constitution. It's there because Obama and the Dems pushed it. Thanks for pointing out why we should vote for Democrats-because people have more rights now.

tommy1808

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:32 pm

seahawk wrote:
The Republicans will accept every candidate who is pro guns, anti LGBT and anti apportion.

Well, apparently Abortion is a right too just as much as equal rights for LGBT, according to the US constitution that is.....

And of course there is a difference between denying someones rights in total (gay marriage e.g.) and defining what a right actually means (2nd Amendment). Each and every right has to be defined and the GOP seems to agree very much that the 2nd does not extend to a privately owned fleet ballistic submarines, a fully fledged MBT or stealth fighters.... so they do agree with the "other side" that there should be limits, and that placing limits is not unconstitutional. The discussion is just about where that line is.
As far as i know no democrat did ever say that all guns shall be removed, but plenty of republicans said that only a man and a women should have the right to get married, and that abortion should be illegal without regards to circumstances.

So, you have the democrats blamed for a desire to ban all guns and completely abolish the 2nd amendment, which apparently none of them wants, while the GOP does exactly that when it comes to rights they don´t like. If they GOP was concerned with gun violence at all, their solution would be to kick down doors and take all the guns. Just like their solution to the "Abortion Problem" and the "LGBT problem" is to ban whatever can be banned....

best regards
Thomas

ContentCreator

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:42 pm

Hillis wrote:
ContentCreator wrote:

Yes, he's gained the right to marry, but it's in no thanks to conservatives, who still want to deny him that right in the Constitution. It's there because Obama and the Dems pushed it. Thanks for pointing out why we should vote for Democrats-because people have more rights now.

Yes, you are right- and the democrats are winning again. That's my whole point. All this talk about the collapse of democracy and "the good side" is winning. The election process is proceeding normally and the results are largely expected. Things will continue to chug along. I just have more faith in the system than you all do I guess. Things are unusual at the moment but I am completely confident in the way things are going for the decades to come.

Will there be "setbacks" in the supreme court that go against my beliefs? Probably. Will congress pass laws that I completely disagree with? Absolutely. They will also make rulings that are wonderful and pass laws that are great. That's part of living in a democracy. The 180,000,000 people that disagree with me have a voice, too. There will always be setbacks and road bumps but on the whole, the country is becoming better and better over the years.

But I guess I'm delusional.

OA412

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:52 pm

seahawk wrote:

The ironing is delicious! We want to protect the constitution, particularly guns, which Obama and Hillary are definitely going to take from us in spite of more guns being sold under Obama's presidency, but let's ensure those pesky gays and women have their rights taken away from them. Lovely.
MaverickM11 wrote:
I've never understood whining about "political correctness"--what is the threat and who is it hurting? Just seems like a red flag that anyone whining about it is dumb as a box of rocks...

Yeah I don't understand it either. I freely admit some PC stuff goes way too far, particularly among Millenials. But sometimes, you have to start at the extremes to reach a desirable consensus. To me, the only people whining about it are those who are pissed off that it's no longer socially acceptable to be a bigot in polite company. Note, for instance, that Trump supporters wish we could just go back to a time where we could "tell it like it is," but when Hillary did that and called Trump supporters deplorable, the butt hurt was strong with that group. It's almost as though what they mean by "anti-PC" and "telling it like it is" is being free to, for instance, call me a faggot rather than a homosexual or calling minorities racial epithets and subscribing to racist stereotypes, and not anything else. I.e. I wish I could be free to hurl my self-righteous anger at you, but don't you dare hurt my feelings for doing so.

tommy1808

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:00 pm

ContentCreator wrote:
Will there be "setbacks" in the supreme court that go against my beliefs? Probably. Will congress pass laws that I completely disagree with? Absolutely. They will also make rulings that are wonderful and pass laws that are great. That's part of living in a democracy. The 180,000,000 people that disagree with me have a voice, too. There will always be setbacks and road bumps but on the whole, the country is becoming better and better over the years.

I would think that his point is that the GOP is exactly not doing that. They don´t accept that things may go down a path they don´t like. But instead of convincing people of their way, they just obstruct an organ of state, so it gets more difficult to move anywhere else, but the way they like.
That is right up there with preventing people from voting, preventing congress men from traveling and so on....

And since your constitutions is old, it has no self defense mechanism built in.

best regards
Thomas

Dutchy

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:14 pm

seb146 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Money. In American government, money rules all. When people leave Congress, they go to big lobbying firms so they can make even more money. If those in Congress held a specific title, that power goes with them. Yes, it is stupid, but when people get into government, they do not want to change it because the money is too good.

I think that is a cynical analyses, a very good one, but also very cynical.

seahawk

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:58 pm

OA412 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

The ironing is delicious! We want to protect the constitution, particularly guns, which Obama and Hillary are definitely going to take from us in spite of more guns being sold under Obama's presidency, but let's ensure those pesky gays and women have their rights taken away from them. Lovely.

It was a sarcastic comment to start with.

zckls04

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:21 pm

seahawk wrote:
It was a sarcastic comment to start with.

For what it's worth, that was quite obvious, at least to me. Not sure why everybody's sarcasm detector failed today.

MaverickM11 wrote:

It's quite simple- you are infringing on my rights to be a total arse with no consideration for others. How is that so hard to understand?

lugie

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:00 pm

OA412 wrote:
Yeah I don't understand it either. I freely admit some PC stuff goes way too far, particularly among Millenials. But sometimes, you have to start at the extremes to reach a desirable consensus. To me, the only people whining about it are those who are pissed off that it's no longer socially acceptable to be a bigot in polite company. Note, for instance, that Trump supporters wish we could just go back to a time where we could "tell it like it is," but when Hillary did that and called Trump supporters deplorable, the butt hurt was strong with that group. It's almost as though what they mean by "anti-PC" and "telling it like it is" is being free to, for instance, call me a faggot rather than a homosexual or calling minorities racial epithets and subscribing to racist stereotypes, and not anything else. I.e. I wish I could be free to hurl my self-righteous anger at you, but don't you dare hurt my feelings for doing so.

Youtube is a perfect indicator for what I call the "crybaby paradoxon".

A parallel thread (must've been the one about placing your bets) had a link to a video of a completely delusional Trumpster talking about how he expects the election to be a Trump landslide, fantasizing about flipping CA and NJ and all that stuff. He started the video with something along the lines of "there will be no trigger warnings for all you whiny liberals"

Two clicks down the page (I stumbled upon the new Eminem freestyle and some Colbert segments on the election) and you'll find entire comment sections full of deplorables crying about media bias, how the "elite" (that apparently includes musicians who dare to take a political position) has rigged the game and generally just how criticizing Trump makes you the idiot, so yeah, this entire "too much PC" debate is total BS...

ContentCreator

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:10 pm

lugie wrote:
OA412 wrote:

Youtube is a perfect indicator for what I call the "crybaby paradoxon".

A parallel thread (must've been the one about placing your bets) had a link to a video of a completely delusional Trumpster talking about how he expects the election to be a Trump landslide, fantasizing about flipping CA and NJ and all that stuff. He started the video with something along the lines of "there will be no trigger warnings for all you whiny liberals"

Two clicks down the page (I stumbled upon the new Eminem freestyle and some Colbert segments on the election) and you'll find entire comment sections full of deplorables crying about media bias, how the "elite" (that apparently includes musicians who dare to take a political position) has rigged the game and generally just how criticizing Trump makes you the idiot, so yeah, this entire "too much PC" debate is total BS...

You're forgetting the #1 rule of the internet: Don't believe, trust, or take anything you read on the internet seriously. Especially Youtube comments.

910A

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:30 pm

Sen Flake (R-AZ) is calling for a confirmation hearing on Judge Garland. http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/r ... -lame-duck

Republican Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona said Thursday that he would work to advance the confirmation process for Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland this year if Democrat Hillary Clinton wins the White House.

Flake’s comments come less than two weeks ahead of an election that is expected to shape the ideological balance of the Supreme Court, possibly for decades. And they foreshadow a growing divide among Senate Republicans about what to do with Garland’s long-languishing nomination when Congress returns Nov. 14 for the lame-duck session.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:07 pm

910A wrote:
Sen Flake (R-AZ) is calling for a confirmation hearing on Judge Garland. http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/r ... -lame-duck

Republican Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona said Thursday that he would work to advance the confirmation process for Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland this year if Democrat Hillary Clinton wins the White House.

Flake’s comments come less than two weeks ahead of an election that is expected to shape the ideological balance of the Supreme Court, possibly for decades. And they foreshadow a growing divide among Senate Republicans about what to do with Garland’s long-languishing nomination when Congress returns Nov. 14 for the lame-duck session.

I'm sure he is because he realizes that if the DNC gets both the Senate and the White House then the alternative to The Hon. Mr. Garland will be much less palatable to Conservatives.

pvjin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:26 pm

I think Republicans are doing the right thing, liberals should have no business in lawmaking. As somebody who lives in a country where leftist liberals have built the legal system I can tell you, it's no fun reading in the newspapers regularly how rapists and murderers get away with ridiculously short sentences and soon commit the very same crimes again, just because some decision makers see word "criminal" synonymous to word "victim". Individuals should be held fully responsible for their actions, and no form of crime is worse than those against human life.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:10 pm

pvjin wrote:
I think Republicans are doing the right thing, liberals should have no business in lawmaking.

Only His Highest Excellence Vladimir Putin should make laws anywhere in the world, right?

cpd

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:18 am

casinterest wrote:
It's not a branch of government or even the whole republican party. However it is highly disturbing about how many members of the Republican party are more interested in persecuting folks instead of coming up with good , well thought out and workable plans to keep the country moving onward and forward.
It is probably time to start a new party in the center to just keep pushing the republican party of to the far right,

I do not think this will end in bloodshed, but recent comments by some trump supporters and even Trump himself are highly distrurbing. There are folks that actually buy into the theory of the rigged election. What they don't realize is that the congressional districts have long been rigged, and the presidential vote is still managed by Electoral votes.

I don't think they care about doing good things, or improving anything. It's just about getting into power and staying in power, living the good life. If you can get in power, you can prosecute any rivals for anything and everything, rig the courts the way you want them, or even get rid of them.

I've lived in the world of politics for a very long time now and I will admit there are a few very good, honest politicians who very deeply care about what they are doing and trying genuinely to make things better.

Politics in general is getting far too partisan nowadays.

pvjin wrote:
I think Republicans are doing the right thing, liberals should have no business in lawmaking. As somebody who lives in a country where leftist liberals have built the legal system I can tell you, it's no fun reading in the newspapers regularly how rapists and murderers get away with ridiculously short sentences and soon commit the very same crimes again, just because some decision makers see word "criminal" synonymous to word "victim". Individuals should be held fully responsible for their actions, and no form of crime is worse than those against human life.

Alright, vote for me and I'll make everything right for you. But don't you dare say anything I don't like, because I'll lock you away with all the others too. Hows that for good law and order, huh?

YZF101

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:51 am

I truly wish I could stand here 75 years in the future and look to the crossroads that America is at now, and see which fork in the road she took. And indeed she is at a crossroads. Choose wisely.