Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

billreid
Topic Author

How the election will impact US aviation

Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:40 pm

The US election is occurring as I write. The question is what impact will the election results have on Aviation and US tourism.
Rather than addressing who will win, lets look at the impacts instead.

What if Clinton wins?
What if Trump wins?

Has the US been damaged by the election?
Has the recent racial tensions hurt US inbound travel?
Will the Dollar go up or down?
Will tourism decrease or increase?
Would US products lose popularity?
Would Boeing sales be impacted?
Would Airbus have issues in America?

What other issues are potentially impacted?
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

BobPatterson

Re: How the election will impact US aviation

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:20 pm

How can you predict election impacts, if any, without considering who will be/was elected? It's kind of late in the game to be playing "what if." Is it so hard waiting another 10-12 hours?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

dtw2hyd

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:29 pm

Hypothetical scenarios.

Clinton win can go either way. ME3 will be allowed to dump more capacity because of her cozy relationship with ME regimes. On the other hand if Richard Anderson is her Transportation Secretary, two CEOs for far away need to find new jobs, innovations in Camel Racing and Belly Dancing comes to mind.

If Trump wins, anybody's guess, every day would be different.
All posts are just opinions.

enilria

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:38 pm

The only thing we know as fact is this:

"Hillary Clinton urges the Obama Administration against moving forward with final approval of Norwegian Air International's application."
https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing ... nationals/

SCQ83

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:43 pm

I predict this thread will be locked in 3, 2, 1.

ek17

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:52 pm

Well Royal Jordanian are using it to advertise flights to the US :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/RoyalJordanian/ ... =3&theater

KTPAFlyer

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:12 pm

If Trump wins and bans Muslims, I'm going to have to get Global Entry soon!

PanzerPowner

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:14 pm

If Trump is Elected, Air Canada Buys Every 2nd Hand Aircraft to Shuttle The Immigrants to Quebec, Vancouver, Montreal and The Northern Wastes.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

SCQ83

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:30 pm

ek17 wrote:
Well Royal Jordanian are using it to advertise flights to the US :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/RoyalJordanian/ ... =3&theater

Also Ryanair had some Clinton and Trump-related adds in their website.

B737900ER

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:41 pm

Of course aviation will change because the President of the United States is all powerful and can do whatever he wants...

Does anyone know or care how government works??

lugie

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:44 pm

ek17 wrote:

Well that is pure genius :lol: :lol:

On a more serious note, I think that if he really intends something like this ban (in case he gets elected), air travel to and from the ME could take a serious hit.

Generally, since most of his proposals just scream economic warfare I'd not be too surprised if he enacts some type of protectionist measures against foreign carriers (ME3 but also, you know, China).

But who knows, EKs first class is as tacky as anything connected to the Trump brand so they might as well just become best friends ;)
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

richierich

Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:52 pm

I've often wondered if a Trump win might change the softening on US-airlines being allowed to fly to Cuba. I can only assume that a Clinton win today means the status-quo will prevail as far as this topic is concerned.
None shall pass!!!!

jalarner

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:00 pm

Regardless of who wins...Obama won't shut down Chicago airspace and screw everyone who is stuck there overnight for missed flights (yup, happened a few times).
Support air cadets!

Hillis

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:05 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
How can you predict election impacts, if any, without considering who will be/was elected? It's kind of late in the game to be playing "what if." Is it so hard waiting another 10-12 hours?

And since legislation is very important to the industry, who controls Congress is probably of more importance than who is POTUS in this case.

Dutchy

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:11 pm

I think regardless of whom wins, the impact will be minimal for the short term. Policy wise, don't know. If Clinton wins, not much probably, if Trump wins perhaps a bit of windowdressing and he will announce it as a big personal triumph ;-). The longer term we will have to see, if Trump wins and the economy will hit a down turn, then airlines will follow. We have seen the Dollar drop a bit, when there was a possibility that Trump would win.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

cjg225

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:59 pm

enilria wrote:
The only thing we know as fact is this:

"Hillary Clinton urges the Obama Administration against moving forward with final approval of Norwegian Air International's application."
https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing ... nationals/

This is the same person who helped write the TPP as SecState and then denounced it as a presidential candidate.

There is nothing we know for a "fact" about what any candidate would ACTUALLY do as President.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

n92r03

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:35 pm

Pretty much nothing will happen with either with the exception of two charter 737's being much more available.

DFW789ER

Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:29 am

richierich wrote:
I've often wondered if a Trump win might change the softening on US-airlines being allowed to fly to Cuba. I can only assume that a Clinton win today means the status-quo will prevail as far as this topic is concerned.

IMO, Cuba now seems appealing. My guess is a year out, we will seen some of the initial flights go away.

KruegerFlaps

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:11 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Clinton win can go either way. ME3 will be allowed to dump more capacity because of her cozy relationship with ME regimes.

Unless the US is proposing to shred the bilateral agreement it has with the UAE, any expansion of services by EK or EY would be a simple matter for the airline based on projected viability of routes. AS the agreement provides unrestricted frequencies and destinations, whether Trump or Clinton wins is immaterial.

I don't know if Trump is going to "ban all Muslims." He subsequently watered down that claim and he would surely be mindful of current and future investments of his own in Muslim countries. Trump Home, a "high class" furniture brand, has outlets in countries such as Turkey, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and plans to open locations in Qatar, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. The Trump Hotels Collection has been planning on developments in Qatar, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia. In the past, tenants of Trump Tower have included Prince Mutaib bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Qatar Airways, so Trump would be aware that implementing some of his stated policies could have a negative impact on his bank balance.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt Speech, 1783

KTPAFlyer

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:36 am

KruegerFlaps wrote:
so Trump would be aware that implementing some of his stated policies could have a negative impact on his bank balance.

Do you think this guy is going to give a shit about his bank account after he becomes President?!?

*This is extremely political, but please read before you delete*

I'm writing this at 12:18 so Trump is President. Everyone has a right to vote and a right to their opinion, I respect that. I voted for Clinton, and unlike most people above, am now seriously worried about the prospect of being banned from reentering this country as a Muslim avgeek who loves traveling internationally. There are people ON HERE saying that the government would never let him do that. This is the same government that let him get here in the first place, and now he has the House on his side too! Who the hell is going to stop this guy! He built his campaign on this stuff! Look I get it. He's said that he'll build a wall. He's said he's going to stop and frisk African Americans. But this stuff (while unacceptable) will not threaten anyone's lives, hopefully. Trump's Muslim ban is different. While 90% of people think it's fluff, 90% of people until YETERSDAY thought there was no way he was going to be President. Now he is. And now he has the power to follow through. Muslims like myself are mortified about what's going to happen, because the next time I leave this country may be the last.

I'm genuinely sorry if I made this too political, but I had to find an outlet somewhere. And as an AvGeek who travels internationally, I am now seriously scared about EVEN THE REMOTE POSSIBILITY of losing access to my job, my home, my family, everything. I am not exaggerating, and I can only hope for the best. Thank you for reading this, even if you disagree, please spread the word. AvGeek or not, everyone deserves a place, and with Trumps rhetoric, we don't know if it's fluff or for real, but we don't want to take a chance.

KruegerFlaps

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:41 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
KruegerFlaps wrote:
so Trump would be aware that implementing some of his stated policies could have a negative impact on his bank balance.

Do you think this guy is going to give a shit about his bank account after he becomes President?!?

He has already said that he would not divest himself of his interests. If he is true to his word, then yes he will care about the effect on the value of those interests.

But there is a more important point. As candidate for office, Trump could afford to say whatever he liked. As President he would have to consider the impact of his actions on not only his own bank account, but on all US corporations that do business overseas.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt Speech, 1783

blacksoviet

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:48 am

Trump may order Boeing to rebuild the 757 tooling.

KTPAFlyer

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:53 am

blacksoviet wrote:

Finally some good news lol

seb146

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:54 am

If Trump wins, the economy will collapse so no one will be able to travel.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Rdh3e

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:59 am

If Trump really is as hard on China as he says he will be, UA has a lot to lose.

Given that the US relatively stable economy has been the driver of TATL traffic since the EU economies have been struggling, it will be very interesting to see what happens TATL. That could be a huge blow to the US carriers as well.

chepos

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:04 am

It already is collapsing. As an airline employee I am mortified of what will happen with the economy now about to crash, Buckle up, the next four years will be long and turbulent for all industries in this country.
Fly the Flag!!!!

KTPAFlyer

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:15 am

chepos wrote:
It already is collapsing. As an airline employee I am mortified of what will happen with the economy now about to crash, Buckle up, the next four years will be long and turbulent for all industries in this country.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, as we begin our descent into HEL, the captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign"

*Trump opens the door and jumps out of the emergency exit*

Hillis

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:25 am

I think one possible effect could be that with the GOP in control of all 3 branches of government, there's a good chance they pull the plug on ties with Cuba, and that would end the burgeoning U.S-Cuba flight business. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if airlines start announcing they won't fly some routs now.

Maybe good old fashioned capitalism will win out, but I think that's a possibility.

pvjin

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:30 am

chepos wrote:

Nah, the airline industry will be soon prospering when Trump reverses the death of the American middle class, resulting in more wealthy people who can afford to travel. It will be the good old times all over again.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

Amiga500

Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:04 am

I predict one-way tickets to Canada and anywhere in Europe from the US will become more popular.

Ironically, I blame the Democrats. I hope all those involved in the Democratic party that went out of their way to corrupt the primaries to ensure Crooked Hillary got her run at the white house are happy.

edit: Maybe The Donald will be great. I hope he is. I hope he proves a non-politician/non-lawyer is (as I strongly suspect) indeed much better suited to the job than a career weasel. But I greatly fear his temperament. Everything I've read and seen makes me fearful of what he might do with the big red button. As Obama said, if his campaign cannot trust Donald with his twitter account, how can he be trusted with the nuclear codes?!?
Last edited by Amiga500 on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amiga500

Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:05 am

pvjin wrote:
when Trump reverses the death of the American middle class.

Any substance to how he intends to do that?

Hillis

Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:37 am

pvjin wrote:
chepos wrote:

Nah, the airline industry will be soon prospering when Trump reverses the death of the American middle class, resulting in more wealthy people who can afford to travel. It will be the good old times all over again.

Trump hates the American middle class. He's fought against it his whole life. You think the gap between rich and everyone else is wide now? It'll explode under this guy.

As I said, the President-Elect deserves the opportunity to bring the nation together, but I think you'll be sadly mistaken, as usual, in your views on Mr. Trump.

Jetty

Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:42 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
I voted for Clinton, and unlike most people above, am now seriously worried about the prospect of being banned from reentering this country as a Muslim avgeek who loves traveling internationally. There are people ON HERE saying that the government would never let him do that. This is the same government that let him get here in the first place, and now he has the House on his side too! Who the hell is going to stop this guy! He built his campaign on this stuff! Look I get it. He's said that he'll build a wall. He's said he's going to stop and frisk African Americans. But this stuff (while unacceptable) will not threaten anyone's lives, hopefully. Trump's Muslim ban is different. While 90% of people think it's fluff, 90% of people until YETERSDAY thought there was no way he was going to be President. Now he is. And now he has the power to follow through. Muslims like myself are mortified about what's going to happen, because the next time I leave this country may be the last.

I'm genuinely sorry if I made this too political, but I had to find an outlet somewhere. And as an AvGeek who travels internationally, I am now seriously scared about EVEN THE REMOTE POSSIBILITY of losing access to my job, my home, my family, everything. I am not exaggerating, and I can only hope for the best. Thank you for reading this, even if you disagree, please spread the word. AvGeek or not, everyone deserves a place, and with Trumps rhetoric, we don't know if it's fluff or for real, but we don't want to take a chance.

Have you ever considered renouncing your faith? Then you wouldn't have to worry about all the implications you mention. You aren't burn as a Muslim and don't have to die as one either. I sincerely wonder why it seems so hard for Muslims to let their fait go, especially when living in the western world. Facing all these negative implications of being a Muslim should at least have you consider priorities no?

dragon-wings

Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:48 am

Since the Iran nuclear deal happened didn't Boeing have a deal to sell planes to Iran Air? If so then that deal will most likely to killed.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Hillis

Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:50 am

Jetty wrote:
KTPAFlyer wrote:
I voted for Clinton, and unlike most people above, am now seriously worried about the prospect of being banned from reentering this country as a Muslim avgeek who loves traveling internationally. There are people ON HERE saying that the government would never let him do that. This is the same government that let him get here in the first place, and now he has the House on his side too! Who the hell is going to stop this guy! He built his campaign on this stuff! Look I get it. He's said that he'll build a wall. He's said he's going to stop and frisk African Americans. But this stuff (while unacceptable) will not threaten anyone's lives, hopefully. Trump's Muslim ban is different. While 90% of people think it's fluff, 90% of people until YETERSDAY thought there was no way he was going to be President. Now he is. And now he has the power to follow through. Muslims like myself are mortified about what's going to happen, because the next time I leave this country may be the last.

Have you ever considered renouncing your faith? Then you wouldn't have to worry about all the implications you mention. You aren't burn as a Muslim and don't have to die as one either. I sincerely wonder why it seems so hard for Muslims to let their fait go, especially when living in the western world. Facing all these negative implications of being a Muslim should at least have you consider priorities no?

Would you ask the same question of a Christian, to reject their faith? Why should someone reject their faith because some people don't like it?

Jetty

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:00 am

Hillis wrote:
Would you ask the same question of a Christian, to reject their faith? Why should someone reject their faith because some people don't like it?

I'm not seeing how that's relevant because Trump doesn't have a plan to ban Christians. I'm not saying someone should renounce their faith, only that it could be an option to avoid all the horrible consequences the poster feared. My parents were Christian and I'm not so I obviously wouldn't mind asking a Christian the same question at all if it were relevant.

flyingturtle

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:11 am

How aviation is impacted?

My engines are absolutely yuuuge, I can do it big league with no flaps and half the runway!

No, seriously... I wonder what presidential aircraft he'll use. Maybe he decorates the VC-25 like his Mar-a-Lago mansion. Maybe.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

KruegerFlaps

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:17 am

Jetty wrote:
Hillis wrote:

I'm not seeing how that's relevant because Trump doesn't have a plan to ban Christians. I'm not saying someone should renounce their faith, only that it could be an option to avoid all the horrible consequences the poster feared. My parents were Christian and I'm not so I obviously wouldn't mind asking a Christian the same question at all if it were relevant.

The US may be different but experience in other countries shows that people changing or renouncing their faith does little to reduce suspicion and hostility. Following the Reconquista in Spain, Jews and Muslims had the option of converting to Christianity but those that did remained suspect and continued to be referred to as Moriscos. Even conversion did not spare them from expulsion. In Germany, the fact that some people had converted from Judaism or did not attend a Synagogue did not prevent them or their descendants from being considered Jewish under the Nuremberg Laws.

While I don't profess any religion, I think it abhorrent that any person should be asked to reconsider their faith just because a President is elected on a platform of fear and bigotry.

Jetty

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:41 am

KruegerFlaps wrote:
The US may be different but experience in other countries shows that people changing or renouncing their faith does little to reduce suspicion and hostility. Following the Reconquista in Spain, Jews and Muslims had the option of converting to Christianity but those that did remained suspect and continued to be referred to as Moriscos. Even conversion did not spare them from expulsion. In Germany, the fact that some people had converted from Judaism or did not attend a Synagogue did not prevent them or their descendants from being considered Jewish under the Nuremberg Laws.

While I don't profess any religion, I think it abhorrent that any person should be asked to reconsider their faith just because a President is elected on a platform of fear and bigotry.

There are examples to the contrary as well. The Islamic state for instance has quite some converts among their ranks, even in high places. It doesn't seem they're suspect.

While I don't see a practical way to enforce any such rule I think it's perfectly fine that a sovereign state democratically decides to refuse entry to people who regard a book that preaches hate and violence to non-believers as holy, just as there are other criteria to be allowed entry.

WIederling

Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:45 am

Jetty wrote:
The Islamic state for instance has quite some converts among their ranks, even in high places. It doesn't seem they're suspect.

The Paymaster doesn't care. Though my guess is that the IS handles such things like Stalin did.
like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_No._227
Murphy is an optimist

na

Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:31 pm

If chief Yellowhair wants to make America great again, then for the aviation scene it can only mean he´ll convince the airlines to finally buy the greatest plane in domestic production;-)

777Jet

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:06 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Executive Order to reopen the 757 line ;)

I wonder how much use his 757 Trump Force One will get when he gets Air Force One? :)
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

Amiga500

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:18 pm

There is no one that loves aviation more than me.

I intend to build walls everywhere so the only way of travelling anywhere will be by flying over them.

We will need loads of aircraft to move all these bad people I don't like out of 'murica.

KrustyTheKlown

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:42 pm

Bye bye Emirates to Buffalo :roll:
Iran air welcomes its new Irkut MC-21s with Aviadvigatel PD-14 and no avionics

NameOmitted

Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:06 pm

Jetty wrote:

I have nothing to add different from what others have said, but what you ask is abhorrent, and I need to join others in saying so. Over and above the political implications, your statement mocks my belief as a Christian. I am not a Christian for the social benefits it provides me, nor would I stop being a Christian if I lost those benefits. Faith is not about personal expediency.

dubaiamman243

Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:52 pm

Donald Trump was stated that if he becomes the president, he will stop the Iran nuclear deal. So i guess he will stop Boeing order with Iran Air
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

Thunderboltdrgn

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:57 pm

dubaiamman243 wrote:
Donald Trump was stated that if he becomes the president, he will stop the Iran nuclear deal. So i guess he will stop Boeing order with Iran Air

Politicians says allot of things before they are elected but that doesn't mean that they can/want to go ahead with those things.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

cumulushumilis

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:21 pm

Trump Force One will be retired and end up in the Trump Presidential Library/Hotel/Casino/Resort/Golf Course which will be located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue after it is redeveloped into his latest business venture.

Jetty

Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:27 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
I have nothing to add different from what others have said, but what you ask is abhorrent, and I need to join others in saying so. Over and above the political implications, your statement mocks my belief as a Christian. I am not a Christian for the social benefits it provides me, nor would I stop being a Christian if I lost those benefits. Faith is not about personal expediency.

I didn't ask anyone to renounce their belief nor did I mock anyone's faith. I just gave an option worth considering when scared of the consequences of being a Muslim.

winginit

Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:39 pm

Hillis wrote:
I think one possible effect could be that with the GOP in control of all 3 branches of government, there's a good chance they pull the plug on ties with Cuba, and that would end the burgeoning U.S-Cuba flight business. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if airlines start announcing they won't fly some routs now.

DFW789ER wrote:
IMO, Cuba now seems appealing. My guess is a year out, we will seen some of the initial flights go away.

I'm not so sure. During an interview last year, the following dialogue took place:

DAILY CALLER:: What do you think of the opening with Cuba? Do you think that is a good policy, or do you oppose America’s opening with Cuba?

DONALD TRUMP: I think it’s fine. I think it’s fine, but we should have made a better deal. The concept of opening with Cuba-50 years is enough-the concept of opening with Cuba is fine. I think we should have made a stronger deal.