LHRjc
Topic Author

M&S Simply Food, or FoodHall. The Great Debate

Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:42 pm

With the sad news that the great British icon Marks & Spencer are to close or downsize upwards of 60 stores in the UK, something has been puzzling me.

All the media reports on this subject are quoting M&S as saying that it also wants to open 200 "Simply Food" outlets. Now interestingly enough, my local M&S high street "Simply Food" store has just rebranded itself as an M&S "FoodHall" (sic). Upon asking the very helpful checkout operator why the store had been rebranded, she informed me that all M&S Simply Food outlets (with the exception of SSP(?) outlets were being rebranded as M&S FoodHall. Sure enough, on my travels, I have seen a fair few of these stores rebranded, from the old green signage, to the new white and black version.

Old:-

New:-

However, in all the media reports about this sad demise, all references to M&S food outlets are once again referring to "Simply Food". e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37906466

This is extremely confusing for a simpleton like myself. I did initially wonder whether it was just out of town large M&S food stores that were being rebranded, but my small local high street store is no bigger than, for example the Heathrow Terminal 5 store, yet one has been rebranded FoodHall whilst the other carries the new style Simply Food branding.

So, it got me wondering... What's your local M&S outlet? FoodHall or Simply Food?

If you are worried about the closure of your local M&S store, you can check the full list below:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 15821.html
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

nighthawk

Re: M&S Simply Food, or FoodHall. The Great Debate

Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:49 pm

M&S just opened a new dedicated foot store on the outskirts of Carlisle, it's branded as "Food Hall". They also have a store in town adjacent to the clothes store (which is apparently on the closure list), it's also branded "Food Hall".

Hope that helps!

gkirk

Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:16 pm

This is a distressing topic to talk about. The confusion, the confusion. Dear god, why the confusion?!?!?!?

M&S is a British Institution and all this name changing is doing is causing confusion for us M&S enthusiasts.

Long live M & S!!
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

MYT332

Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:31 pm

Thankfully all this uncertainty hasn't stopped me having wet dreams about A330-200's.

I shall (...) go back in to self-imposed exile now until Johan returns and makes good with the website!

Rabbit/hat/pancake
One Life, Live it.

Bongodog1964

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:20 pm

LHRjc wrote:
If you are worried about the closure of your local M&S store, you can check the full list below:-

This "closure list" is nothing of the sort, it is an analysis done by "experts. If a town has more than one M & S or it has a declining high street footfall it has been put on the list. These experts have not been employed by M & S and in reality you might as well ask the manager of your local football club for his opinion :rotfl:

Daleaholic

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:39 pm

SSP runs the bars/shops/food outlets in a lot of railway stations.

I hope my local M&S doesn't shut down, where else can I get my Watermelon & Coconut white tea?
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

coolian2

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Daleaholic wrote:

I hope my local M&S doesn't shut down, where else can I get my Watermelon & Coconut white tea?

I felt the same when I moved away from my local Burger King.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

MYT332

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:26 pm

Daleaholic wrote:
I hope my local M&S doesn't shut down, where else can I get my girly Watermelon & Coconut white tea because I'm a big girl and like it fruity?

Men from Rochdale don't need Watermelon & Coconut white tea. Hand in your man card!
One Life, Live it.

LHRjc
Topic Author

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:26 am

It's clear to see there is a lot of support for this great British brand, whether in the Simply Food or Food hall guise, even in Rochdale of all places.

Interesting stuff. Off to go and ask my local football club manager for his opinion now.
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

jamotcx

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:31 am

Nevermind Rochdale, they have one in Crewe! :shock:

BestWestern

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:29 am

Not to worry. Coming to a short haul flight near you soon
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

OA260

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:08 pm

LHRjc wrote:
With the sad news that the great British icon Marks & Spencer are to close or downsize upwards of 60 stores in the UK, something has been puzzling me.

All the media reports on this subject are quoting M&S as saying that it also wants to open 200 "Simply Food" outlets. Now interestingly enough, my local M&S high street "Simply Food" store has just rebranded itself as an M&S "FoodHall" (sic). Upon asking the very helpful checkout operator why the store had been rebranded, she informed me that all M&S Simply Food outlets (with the exception of SSP(?) outlets were being rebranded as M&S FoodHall. Sure enough, on my travels, I have seen a fair few of these stores rebranded, from the old green signage, to the new white and black version.

Old:-

New:-

However, in all the media reports about this sad demise, all references to M&S food outlets are once again referring to "Simply Food". e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37906466

This is extremely confusing for a simpleton like myself. I did initially wonder whether it was just out of town large M&S food stores that were being rebranded, but my small local high street store is no bigger than, for example the Heathrow Terminal 5 store, yet one has been rebranded FoodHall whilst the other carries the new style Simply Food branding.

So, it got me wondering... What's your local M&S outlet? FoodHall or Simply Food?

M&S Simply food has a better brand recognition IMHO. Do not like the bland white Food Hall one. Will be interesting to see a list of those M&S stores effected. Their food is becoming the core business these days while the clothes have gone through too many re brands by managers who cared more about putting their mark on the brand rather then enhancing the brand itself. Still some decent stuff but a lot of it is uninspiring and lacks the quality they used to produce.

ltbewr

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:37 pm

The term 'food hall' is connected with those of higher end department stores (like Harrods at the extreme) versus 'simply food', to make them seem better for marketing purposes than ASDA, Tesco, Lidl or Aldi.

Leezyjet

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:33 pm

Where I live isn't posh enough to have either, we do have a good choice of Aldi and Lidl supermarkets nearby though.
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

Kiwirob

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:52 pm

coolian2 wrote:
Daleaholic wrote:

I get it if there is no alternative, but they are are now so many better burgers a burger lover can eat in NZ than BK.

Channex757

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:07 pm

MYT332 wrote:
Daleaholic wrote:
I hope my local M&S doesn't shut down, where else can I get my girly Watermelon & Coconut white tea because I'm a big girl and like it fruity?

Men from Rochdale don't need Watermelon & Coconut white tea. Hand in your man card!

It's useful for shampooing the whippet, much like those Japanese farmers do with beer on their Kobe beef cows.

coolian2

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:11 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
Daleaholic wrote:

I get it if there is no alternative, but they are are now so many better burgers a burger lover can eat in NZ than BK.

Check your sarcasm filter is plugged in.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

OA260

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:59 pm

Passing through Waterloo Station today I noticed this mainly due to reading this thread earlier. A 3rd branding