Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aaden
Topic Author

Job interview procedure-what should I expect

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:49 pm

So here is a brief background of the situation I'm in.

I am being flown into Virginia from California on Wednesday for an interview for a director position with a non profit organization.
They covered all the expenses.

I have already spoken on the phone with this organization twice.

I will spend a total of 8-10 hours, or basically half a day with them from when I land around noon to the end of the night. Then I fly out early am the next day.

My question is- does them flying me out and paying for everything mean anything in terms of there interest? Or am I just another candidate.

The actual interview is being done by a search committee- should I expect an offer or to negotiate one before I leave if they like me?

Lastly if anyone has any tips for this type of interview process please weigh in.

Thank you

NoTime

Re: Job interview procedure-what should I expect

Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:03 am

aaden wrote:
My question is- does them flying me out and paying for everything mean anything in terms of there interest? Or am I just another candidate.

You may not be the only person they're flying out for the face to face meetings, but you're likely one of the final candidates for the job. At my employer, we only bring the top two or three folks in for the final in-person interviews.

The actual interview is being done by a search committee- should I expect an offer or to negotiate one before I leave if they like me?

That's interesting. An external search firm is doing the final interviews? Regardless, in most cases, you won't get an actual offer while you're there. But, there are exceptions, of course. It would probably be unreasonable of them to expect you to negotiate and accept on the same day. So, even if they make an offer, you can probably ask for a day or two to respond.

Lastly if anyone has any tips for this type of interview process please weigh in.

If your cab driver or some other service worker screws up, go out of your way to be nice to them. You never know who's watching...

blueflyer

Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:35 am

Well, they're obviously interested enough to fly you in. Beyond that, it's hard to assess their real interest without knowing more about the company and their hiring practices. I know companies that fly a dozen candidates from several cities for an entry level position.

Barring exceptional circumstances, it is highly unlikely the search committee would make you an offer the same day. The purpose of every committee I have been involved with, on both sides of the table, was to report to a larger group because every member of the group could not meet with every candidate individually.

As for fly-in interview tips.. Besides the same tips as a local interview, find out ahead of time where you can get your suit pressed in an hour if need be. NoTime's tip is also right on the money. Your interview begins the moment you get out of the aircraft and ends when your aircraft takes off.

stlgph

Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:57 am

1. Know your shit on this place. Dig up their history, go to their media page and read as many press releases back into the past as far as you can. Go onto their social media and read as far back as you can go. You can skim, but remember anything that stands out or highlights. Dig back on news coverage of this organization in say the past 5 or 6 years. Know some of their biggest accomplishments and short falls, be prepared to bring these up in discussion, be prepared to be asked about problem solving situations for scenarios which may have happened 3 years ago. Know this for the same if the organization has a national organization or a superior chapter.

2. Directors at non profits are mostly there for motivation. Be prepared to motivate. You're even motivated to wipe your ass with your fingers if you have to. Why? Because you can succeed! Yes you are *THAT* motivated.

3. You are adaptable. It's a non profit. The conditions might not always be fancy, even though they are able to fly you in and pay for your expenses but times might not always be rosy. One month the power bill might not have been paid and you may have to work outside in a rain storm. You can do it! Why? Because you are adaptable! And you motivate.

4. This kind of circles back into #1 but non profits see a lot of scrutiny by regular folk and the media. Be prepared to talk about how you handle scrutiny and move forward and for the love of god, *MOTIVATE.

5. Not sure what industry your non profit specializes in but in this instance, it is widgets. You know widgets. You know the firm down the street selling widgets. You know how well widgets are sold and produced in other states. You know all news and social media trends concerning widgets ... if things are going good for widgets, you can identify unique opportunities in which you can push your widget initiative and gain coverage. You can also identify trends which aren't good for widgets and you may need to go into crisis or damage control mode to protect the branding of your widgets. You never stop learning about widgets near and far because it makes you adaptable in your job and you are motivated.

6. It's not about you. It's never about you. Even though you are motivated and you can succeed and you are adaptable, it's about the team and the family. You're so god damn important it's not even funny ... gold oozes out of your private areas ... but on the grand scheme of your humbleness in the hiring process you're nothing, but you're one hell of a master team player who can motivate, be adaptable, protect your widgets and succeed!

stlgph

Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:01 am

And never when asked about compensation state a number and then say "you don't have to pay me that much."
You have a value. Establish it.

BestWestern

Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:04 am

If this is the third interview of a director level role, they have validated that you can do the job and that you know the company.

At this stage it is more often than not to understand you as a person and to see if you will fit into the company and culture. It is your opportunity to find out if you can work there and did you can work with your line manager.

BestWestern

Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:07 am

stlgph wrote:
And never when asked about compensation state a number and then say "you don't have to pay me that much."

Let them make an offer to you first, otherwise you are negotiating with yourself. They should already know your current package at the moment.

stlgph

Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:34 am

BestWestern wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Let them make an offer to you first, otherwise you are negotiating with yourself. They should already know your current package at the moment.

And wrong.

Employers won't know your current package unless they ask you.

HR/Recruiters will always come at you with your current salary range earnings and expectations first and you should respond. Playing cat and mouse is one way to get knocked out of the process.

When a candidate asks what the salary/range is first, that often knocks them out of the HR/Recruiter process.

You have to do your homework on what your range is and expectations are. You must also take into account geography if the position requires a move to a different city/part of the country and do the math to adjust for it when coming up with the math in your head.

FriscoHeavy

Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:11 am

How did the interview go!?