Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zkojq
Topic Author

Bill English: New Prime Minister for New Zealand next week

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:04 am

So now that John Key has resigned and that Judith Collins + Jonathan Coleman have dropped out of the leadership race it seems certain that Bill English will be our next Prime Minister. To me this is rather disappointing as I was looking forward to a bitter fight between Collins and the National Party establishment. It would certainly be entertaining to have her as leader.

Bill English is set to replace John Key as Prime Minister, after the only other contenders dropped out of the race for the National Party's leadership today. Mr English already had enough caucus support, and now has no other competition for the role after Judith Collins and Jonathan Coleman conceded defeat.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political ... s-drop-out

Next up for selection is the deputy PM. Looks like a contest between Simon Bridges and Paula Bennett? Who would you prefer to win? I think they're both terrible choices. How will Bill English fare as a leader? He certainly won't be as popular as John Key. Labour is a total mess at the moment, so there is certainly a chance of Bill calling an early election to ensure that he remains in power past next year.

Thoughts? We live in interesting times.
First to fly the 787-9

mariner

Re: Bill English: New Prime Minister for New Zealand next week

Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:12 pm

zkojq wrote:
So now that John Key has resigned and that Judith Collins + Jonathan Coleman have dropped out of the leadership race it seems certain that Bill English will be our next Prime Minister. To me this is rather disappointing as I was looking forward to a bitter fight between Collins and the National Party establishment. It would certainly be entertaining to have her as leader.

My politics are are generally a bit left of centre, but I like the fact that it is all rather ordered and not a kick-boxing contest for the benefit of the media - although the media was doing its best to make to make it so until the sensible decisions by Coleman and Collins took the heat out off it. When I look at the chaotic political nonsense happening in some other places - Canberra, say - I give three cheers for us.

I think that either Coleman or Collins may be a possible potential leader - but not yet.

The omens for Bill English seem pretty good, certainly as far as economic management is concerned, but you can never tell how any person will respond in the top job until they get it. Who would have guessed that Malcolm Turnbull across the ditch would take such a massive swing to the right?

mariner
aeternum nauta

Zkpilot

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:27 pm

mariner wrote:
zkojq wrote:

I think that either Coleman or Collins may be a possible potential leader - but not yet.

mariner

oh please God not Collins! That Pitbull of a Crony/Corrupt individual should not be anywhere near the office of PM!

Bill English is boring AF and I don't agree with his (or Nationals) politics but I guess he will get the job done. I'm quite embarrassed (of all the people they chose her???) that Bennett is deputy PM though - she is one nasty piece of work - completely without morals and the biggest hypocrite in NZ politics.

Can't wait for the next general election for these incompetent, treasonous snakes to be thrown out (not that Labour has much to offer either but at least they aren't trying to sell their country out).
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

Kiwirob

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:00 am

Completely agree with your comments on Bennett she's a shocker, I can't understand how she got so far up the National list?

zkojq
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:45 am

mariner wrote:
My politics are are generally a bit left of centre, but I like the fact that it is all rather ordered and not a kick-boxing contest for the benefit of the media

It did seem to go very smoothly. I wonder if the a succession plan for the leadership of the Nats might have been in place for some time. I'm not one to push conspiracies, but it all appeared to run like clockwork, inspite of the massive egos of Joyce, Collins and Bennett.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/on-the-in ... een-played

mariner wrote:

Collins is more of a bully than a leader.

mariner wrote:
The omens for Bill English seem pretty good, certainly as far as economic management is concerned, but you can never tell how any person will respond in the top job until they get it. Who would have guessed that Malcolm Turnbull across the ditch would take such a massive swing to the right?

Personally, I think that a lot of Kiwis are tired of Key/English's austerity-for-taxcuts style of economic management.

Zkpilot wrote:
oh please God not Collins! That Pitbull of a Crony/Corrupt individual should not be anywhere near the office of PM!

No she shouldn't, but you've got to admit that a full fledge leadership fight involving her, English, Joyce and Brownlee would be bloody entertaining! If there's one lesson that Dirty Politics has taught us it's that she will have plenty of dirt on her all her colleagues that she will have no problem leaking to the media for her own personal gain.

Zkpilot wrote:
I'm quite embarrassed (of all the people they chose her???) that Bennett is deputy PM though - she is one nasty piece of work - completely without morals and the biggest hypocrite in NZ politics.

Agreed. She's a terrible person for a leadership role. Me and some friends happened to met her in a bar a few years ago. She is every bit as much of a cow as the media makes her out to be. Whilst I suspect that some baby boomers like the 'pulling up the ladder behind her' approach she has taken to running the Ministry Of Social Development, she is surely a liability to the Nats. She has pissed off a lot of people and is unpopular.

Zkpilot wrote:
Can't wait for the next general election for these incompetent, treasonous snakes to be thrown out (not that Labour has much to offer either but at least they aren't trying to sell their country out).

Same. The good news is that Winston is leading NZFirst from strength to strength and the party will probably have to be part of a future government. Winston won't stand for the current government's nonchalance towards explosive house price inflation, unchecked immigration and foreign investors (especially non-resident speculators). It's a shame that Labour is such a mess. I've never liked Labour and have never voted for them, but the party's incompetence over the last eight years is a key reason (pun not intended) behind the extreme cockiness we see in the National party today.

Kiwirob wrote:
Completely agree with your comments on Bennett she's a shocker, I can't understand how she got so far up the National list?

Like with Collins; a lot of backstabbing was probably involved
First to fly the 787-9

mariner

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:46 pm

zkojq wrote:
mariner wrote:
My politics are are generally a bit left of centre, but I like the fact that it is all rather ordered and not a kick-boxing contest for the benefit of the media

It did seem to go very smoothly. I wonder if the a succession plan for the leadership of the Nats might have been in place for some time. I'm not one to push conspiracies, but it all appeared to run like clockwork, inspite of the massive egos of Joyce, Collins and Bennett.

I hope it had been in place for some time, and I assume it was. Any leader, but especially a political leader, should be concerned about the succession.

Unlike some journalists/conspiracy theorists I don't think we have been "played." Of the available names, I think English was heads above all of 'em, and I'm relieved it wasn't a blood contest.

For a conservative and a practising Catholic, English's positive comments about marriage equality yesterday - which he voted against - were radical and now stand us a beacon to politicians in other countries, in favour of marriage equality.

zkojq wrote:
Collins is more of a bully than a leader.

Many leaders are bullies. Margaret Thatcher, for example, was a notorious bully - the Nanny - using her gender to deflect that criticism.

zkojq wrote:
Personally, I think that a lot of Kiwis are tired of Key/English's austerity-for-taxcuts style of economic management.

Maybe some Kiwis are, but as an economic rationalist, it got us through some fairly extreme economic circumstances unscathed, with the economy in pretty good shape - despite Winston's dark misgivings - LOL.

I say this as a Leftie. I've never voted for National in my life, but I'd have trouble voting for the Labour candidate in my area. Labour always seems to choose some party loyalist here, perhaps as a reward for long service and perhaps because they don't have a chance of winning in this rural conservative electorate. But - I think - a Labour candidate with guts, passion and intelligence could win, or at least make a darn good showing and give National a fright. We need someone better than a recent Labour candidate who, when asked about his policies, said "Whatever the party decides."

And I dislike MMP, with its concentration on Party and with its List candidates. I vote for the person, not the party and I find it weird that we can have people in the Parliament for whom no one in the electorate has ever cast a single vote.

But that's the system and we're stuck with it, so I tend to vote for obscure candidates, whose policies I like but who probably haven't a hope of getting elected. Image

mariner
aeternum nauta

coolian2

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:43 am

Apparently I'm obliged to make a comment here.

I will be voting Green/Labour both party and local vote.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900