Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

neutrino
Topic Author

Rogue One reviews - BEWARE: SPOILERS inside!

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:06 am

Rogue One already had its first screenings 15 hours ago here in my part of the world.
I have hidden myself under a rock for almost two days to avoid the reviews after the lifting of the embargo.
I'm off to catch the movie in a few minutes and will reflect on it later in the evening after I get back home. (Its 10am on Thursday December 15th now over here).
I might post a little from my phone if I have the time to do so before that.
This spoilers-filled thread will be ONLY for those who have seen the movie to put in their opinions OR those who don't mind being spoilt.
Post away......I'll be back!
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Okie

Re: Rogue One reviews - BEWARE: SPOILERS inside!

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:36 am

Do not spoil it too bad.
Okie's big issue here is that this film has been massively promoted here.
Promotions have been going on pretty much non stop since August-September time frame.
I start getting a little skeptical when a film has to be that heavily promoted, but that is just me.
The Force Awakens was not promoted this heavily.

Okie

csturdiv

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:29 am

I loved the movie. Just got back from the showing in Sydney. The last 15 minutes or so, really intense. Force Awakens was good, this might be better. My love of Star Wars is back, the franchise is alive.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

afterburner

Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:14 pm

Okie wrote:
Do not spoil it too bad.
Okie's big issue here is that this film has been massively promoted here.
Promotions have been going on pretty much non stop since August-September time frame.
I start getting a little skeptical when a film has to be that heavily promoted, but that is just me.
The Force Awakens was not promoted this heavily.
Okie

Here in Indonesia Rogue One is promoted less than The Force Awakens. I just watched it this afternnoon. I like it better than TFA.

VSMUT

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:51 pm

It was marketed slightly less the the Force Awakens here in Denmark, at least that's what I've experienced.

Going to see it on Sunday :)

neutrino
Topic Author

Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:53 pm

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me......
That's not just Chirrut Imwe chanting, It's me as well after I walked out of the theater. :D

Ok, third warning! (First one is in the title and second in the opening post), this thread is going to be chockablock with huge SPOILERS, so go no further if you want to enjoy the movie's surprise moments. If you happen to stumble in here and is still around, GET OUT NOW.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
For the eyes only of those who have seen the movie:

Loved the ending scenes of an awesome Darth Vader laying waste to rebel scums with his lightsabre and force-throwing onboard the Alliance flagship, and a CGI-ed young Princess Leia who has the final word: Hope. She said that in reply to a Tantive IV crewmember who asked about the contents of the transmission from the rebels on Scarif. These tie in beautifully to the start of Episode IV.
Beside this father and daughter pair, there are quite a number characters from the original movie who made their appearances. Digitally created Grand Moff Tarkin struts around in a surprising number of scenes. Senator Bail Organa was quite evident. Then there's our two unsavory friends, Doctor Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Baba, who will go on to threaten Luke Skywalker at the Mos Eisley Cantina soon after.
There were laughs galore and in one instance I almost broke into a loud guffaw. On the other side of the coin, sad tears welled up in my eyes, as when the heroes continued to get decimated.
They really mean it when it was stated there won't be a sequel to this spin-off. This is one of the very few movies I have seen that practically all the main characters met their end. Well, it is as it should be, story-wise. Most heroic of all in their final breaths are K2, Chirrut and Baze. The mortally shot-up droid's last goodbye to his buddy Cassian was gut wrenching. Even more heart-string-tugging was the blind monk's demise and Baze's immediate subsequent transformation from a Force skeptic to believer before going down in a blaze(pun) of glory.
I'm fine with no sequel but wish for a spin-off of this spin-off telling the origin of this dissimilar but complementary pair of warriors. Chirrut's remark that he's obviously blind when a hood was placed over his head by his captors on Jedha is classic, as is Vader's parting shot to Orson of not choking on his aspirations after almost Force-strangling the latter to death.
All in all, a very enjoyable movie, especially the final quarter. Swarms of TIEs engaging X-Wings, wow.

csturdiv

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:54 pm

Did anybody see it in 3D? I really want to see this again in the theatre and they have it in 3D, is it worth it? I saw it on the Vmax screen, which I guess is what they call Imax down under.

neutrino
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:34 am

3D is a nice experience but rather distractive. You stand to miss the forest for the tree. I used to watch it only on my second viewing when I already know the whole narrative and can focus solely on the nice gimmick. I said used to because I don't do it anymore after I got my special concession for standard shows and price difference became three times as opposed to only about 20-30% premium. So my personal opinion is go for it if its a repeat viewing and cost differential is minor.

csturdiv

Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:50 am

My first viewing was the Vmax screen and tomorrow I'm going for 3D. Plus that'll get me out of the 90 degree heat tomorrow for a few hours. I have a feeling that the final 30-45 minutes of the movie will be great in 3D, especially the last 10 minutes or so.

neutrino
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:13 am

May the Force be with you :bigthumbsup:

EA CO AS

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:23 am

Just came home from seeing it in 3D with my 4 (almost 5) year old son, who is a major Star Wars nerd like his dad.

Five minutes in: "Daddy, I have to pee." So we left for a few, took care of business, and stayed for the remainder.

As we're walking out: "Daddy, I have to pee a third time."

Me: "A third time? We only went once, so this would be your second time,"

Kiddo: "No, part way through the movie I had to go again, but didn't want to miss anything. So I kind of peed in my pants. But just a little."

If your kid is willing to pee his pants to not miss anything, you KNOW this is a good movie. (And it's AWESOME, by the way!)

When it's released on DVD/digital download, I know I'll watch that last scene with Vader repeatedly. It's THAT good. Also, all the Death Star firing sequences are amazing.

Believe it or not, the thing I was most blown away by was how well they digitally "re-animated" Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

neutrino
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:29 am

One scene I didn't watch closely as I was a little distracted was Vader in the bacta tank, flanked by two imperial guards. Who's the hooded guy kneeling in front of him? Only got a fleeting look at the face on close up. Was that a very much younger Snoke or was I snooking myself??

neutrino
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:37 am

EA CO AS wrote:

The Force is certainly with you ;)

EA CO AS

Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:02 pm

neutrino wrote:
One scene I didn't watch closely as I was a little distracted was Vader in the bacta tank, flanked by two imperial guards. Who's the hooded guy kneeling in front of him? Only got a fleeting look at the face on close up. Was that a very much younger Snoke or was I snooking myself??

The hooded guy is just some Imperial lackey, just like the two attending to the Emperor in the throne room aboard the second Death Star in ROTJ.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

mke717spotter

Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:01 am

I've been a big Star Wars fan since I was little and I was pleased with the film. It seems to have a bit of a different style/flavor than the main movies, but the included references to those films were great. Anyone else notice that a bunch of clips from the trailers aren't even in the film? The trailers seem to paint a different picture about the tone of the film altogether.

neutrino wrote:
Loved the ending scenes of an awesome Darth Vader laying waste to rebel scums with his lightsabre and force-throwing onboard the Alliance flagship, and a CGI-ed young Princess Leia who has the final word: Hope. She said that in reply to a Tantive IV crewmember who asked about the contents of the transmission from the rebels on Scarif. These tie in beautifully to the start of Episode IV.

This is the only part of the film that I'm not entirely convinced about. At the start of A New Hope, Vader confronts Leia and says that "several transmissions were beamed at this ship by rebel spies", though in the movie the rebel soldiers physically bring aboard the data chip that contains the plans. Furthermore, Captain Antilles and Leia allege that their ship is on a "diplomatic" mission when they get captured, but I think its a little obvious that they're seen fleeing the battle above Scarif.

neutrino wrote:
Senator Bail Organa was quite evident.

A surprising but welcome inclusion, since I figured they would shy away from the prequel trilogy.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

EA CO AS

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:02 am

mke717spotter wrote:
Anyone else notice that a bunch of clips from the trailers aren't even in the film?

Indeed. Way back in May, there had been extensive rumblings about reshoots being needed; it's clear that some of the movie changed considerably from where it had been based on the first trailers ("This is a Rebellion, right? I rebel!") and while I'm curious to see those deleted scenes someday, the finished film itself appears to be no worse off without them.

Boeing717200

Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:52 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
I've been a big Star Wars fan since I was little and I was pleased with the film. It seems to have a bit of a different style/flavor than the main movies, but the included references to those films were great. Anyone else notice that a bunch of clips from the trailers aren't even in the film? The trailers seem to paint a different picture about the tone of the film altogether.

neutrino wrote:

This is the only part of the film that I'm not entirely convinced about. At the start of A New Hope, Vader confronts Leia and says that "several transmissions were beamed at this ship by rebel spies", though in the movie the rebel soldiers physically bring aboard the data chip that contains the plans. Furthermore, Captain Antilles and Leia allege that their ship is on a "diplomatic" mission when they get captured, but I think its a little obvious that they're seen fleeing the battle above Scarif.

neutrino wrote:
Senator Bail Organa was quite evident.

A surprising but welcome inclusion, since I figured they would shy away from the prequel trilogy.

They were beamed to the ship, put on a chip, then handed off. The ship they were on was almost escape pod sized as there were multiples of them breaking off from the main ship as Vader boarded and things began to come apart.

I give this one a big thumbs up. This is the movie any of us who saw the original film in the theater have been waiting for. I was concerned it would be too intense for my kids, but Force Awakens had far more disturbing scenes. The dark tone commentary about this film was way overplayed. It's got a lot of battle scenes and no language at all, there was more blood in A New Hope.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

sammyk

Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:12 pm

Boeing717200 wrote:

They were beamed to the ship, put on a chip, then handed off. The ship they were on was almost escape pod sized as there were multiples of them breaking off from the main ship as Vader boarded and things began to come apart.

No, they were beamed to the Mon Calamari capital ship which was closer to the size of a Star Destroyer, which made the corvette look smaller but it is definitely not the size of an escape pod. Hell, it has it's own escape pods! We see in Episode IV where the tractor beam pulls it into a Star Destroyer.

The "beamed transmissions" could be a hole but now they could mean anything. Maybe rebel spies were communicating with that particular ship and that is how Vader found it. It may not be the DS plans that were beamed. We don't know how much time elapsed from where Vader saw it leave to where he was pursuing it at the beginning of Episode IV.

Boeing717200

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:06 pm

sammyk wrote:
Boeing717200 wrote:

No, they were beamed to the Mon Calamari capital ship which was closer to the size of a Star Destroyer, which made the corvette look smaller but it is definitely not the size of an escape pod. Hell, it has it's own escape pods! We see in Episode IV where the tractor beam pulls it into a Star Destroyer.

The "beamed transmissions" could be a hole but now they could mean anything. Maybe rebel spies were communicating with that particular ship and that is how Vader found it. It may not be the DS plans that were beamed. We don't know how much time elapsed from where Vader saw it leave to where he was pursuing it at the beginning of Episode IV.

Indeed. My point being the ship was considerably smaller than I had envisioned over the years. Provides a whole different perspective to things. Don't think it was so much a hole as Vader simply not having the complete grasp of things, as has always been the case.

neutrino
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:42 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
neutrino wrote:

The hooded guy is just some Imperial lackey, just like the two attending to the Emperor in the throne room aboard the second Death Star in ROTJ.

I have since watched that scene a few times on youtube and is further persuaded that the lackey - probably a close personal servant/attendant to Vader - could very well be the future Snoke. Two factors: there's certainly a kind of physical and facial resemblance to the First Order chief, and why the closeup shot of a relatively insignificant side-character? Is Gareth Edwards throwing a very light clue? Snoke in TFA has been known to have been around a long time but had kept himself hidden so nothing was heard of him prior. He could be covertly force-sensitive and being close to the Sith Lord, could have secretly or otherwise learned to wield and eventually master the darkside of the Force without being a Sith. The odds of me being totally wrong is definitely very high but if what I said turned out to be the "truth" in EP VIII or IX, you heard it here first. ;) :smile:

neutrino
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:51 pm

Boeing717200 wrote:
Indeed. My point being the ship was considerably smaller than I had envisioned over the years.

The stark difference in size between the blockade runner and the Star Destroyer was shown clearly in ANH when the latter "sucked" Tantive IV into its underbelly dock. The sands of time in those scores of years could have dulled, if not wiped, your memory. :smile:

cjg225

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:42 pm

Just saw it... It was okay. Nothing spectacular or incredible, but definitely better than TFA. It had some pretty good moments, especially the ground combat that I've wanted to see for so long. Stormtroopers actually hitting Rebels was different.

I am a stickler for continuity, so breakdowns in that respect really eat at me.

I am aware that, in large part, my love of the EU (and its subsequent, understandable, destruction by Disney) has caused me to be very wary of the new material in Star Wars.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Okie

Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:15 am

I jumped in with both feet and splurged, did IMAX with 3D.
Pretty damn intense toward the end.
I will not spoil but I would give it an excellent rating.
I was skeptical because of the hype but the movie was really good.

Okie

mke717spotter

Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:49 am

sammyk wrote:

Apparently the ending is supposed to lead straight into that film:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ney-898562

“This is the closest thing to a prequel ever,” a source tells THR. “This takes place just before A New Hope and leads up to the 10 minutes before that classic film begins. You have to match the tone!”
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

seb146

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:41 am

Where in the series does this movie go?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

VSMUT

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:29 am

Watched it yesterday. I loved it, definitely better than episodes 4, 5 and 6, and almost on par with episode 1 and 7.

The beginning was a bit messy though, with too many sudden clips to new locations. As someone mentioned above, several scenes from the trailers were missing, and I think they were cut out of this part of the film in a bit of a hurry.

seb146 wrote:
Where in the series does this movie go?

You could say that it is episode 3.5

cjg225

Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:46 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Watched it yesterday. I loved it, definitely better than episodes 4, 5 and 6, and almost on par with episode 1 and 7.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but... yikes. :lol:

VSMUT

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:03 pm

cjg225 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Sorry, but episode 1 was the first Star Wars movie I ever saw, and honestly 4, 5 and 6 remind me a bit of the muppet show with all those models and costumes rather than proper CG. They also completely miss out on the entire political backstory. They were just too simplistic.

:D

jetwet1

Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:50 pm

cjg225 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

There are a lot of younger people that like Esp :1,2 and 3, different generation, different taste I guess.

Heading off this morning to watch Rogue One

Calder

Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:15 pm

Saw it on Saturday. Actually, this is the first movie I've ever gone to alone because I wanted to see it no distractions.

Excellent movie.

I loved seeing all the throw back characters, and as soon as the rebels got the data plans transmitted to the Mon Calamari Capital Ship I noticed the white interior walls, and those funny little rebel helmets. I thought "No way are they going to..." but they did! A near seamless transition to the start of ep. 4. I almost spit my soda out when I saw a young CG'd Leia Organa.

Loved the movie, love the characters, and I agree, it was a little sad that they nearly all perished, but they completed their mission.

One lingering thought was the blind Asian guy, Chirrut was his name I think. I'm not sure what to think of him, but the way the movie progressed he was clearly force-sensitive.
C. T.

EA CO AS

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Calder wrote:
One lingering thought was the blind Asian guy, Chirrut was his name I think. I'm not sure what to think of him, but the way the movie progressed he was clearly force-sensitive.

So was Maz in TFA, and a new character introduced in "Star Wars: Rebels" that looks like a giant rocky moose. I think Disney is trying to expand on the idea that not only Jedi and Sith can be Force-sensitive, and I'd expect to see more of that as the franchise evolves.

neutrino
Topic Author

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:41 pm

Okie wrote:
I will not spoil.....

Okie

But you can as afterall this IS a Spoilers thread, with more than ample warnings for those who haven't seen it.

Okie

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:23 pm

Calder wrote:
Saw it on Saturday. Actually, this is the first movie I've ever gone to alone because I wanted to see it no distractions

I went by myself as well but it was due to Ms Okie moving on to her great rewards about a month ago. Right now I would take the distractions to have her back.

My thoughts about the CGI characters. I just wonder how long before there is no real actors just CGI images in movies.
I just have real issues getting excited about "Wallace and Gromit" concept of characters.

Okie

Calder

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:45 pm

Okie wrote:
Calder wrote:
Saw it on Saturday. Actually, this is the first movie I've ever gone to alone because I wanted to see it no distractions

I went by myself as well but it was due to Ms Okie moving on to her great rewards about a month ago. Right now I would take the distractions to have her back.

My thoughts about the CGI characters. I just wonder how long before there is no real actors just CGI images in movies.
I just have real issues getting excited about "Wallace and Gromit" concept of characters.

Okie

My sincerest condolences to you and yours this holiday season.

I cannot imagine how you feel, but I hope you find some measure of solace in things the both of you loved and enjoyed together.
C. T.

EA CO AS

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:48 pm

Okie wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear that! My sincere condolences on your loss, sir. Hang in there.

Okie

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:04 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
I'm so sorry to hear that! My sincere condolences on your loss, sir. Hang in there
Calder wrote:
My sincerest condolences to you and yours this holiday season. I cannot imagine how you feel, but I hope you find some measure of solace in things the both of you loved and enjoyed together.

Thanks to all. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Okie

Boeing717200

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:09 pm

Okie wrote:
Calder wrote:

Okie

I don't think too long. They nailed this. People said Leia was a mess, I didn't see it. Maybe it was the surprise of seeing it. Tarkin was dead on as where the pilots. Incredible and a nice touch to tie in the films.

sammyk

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:11 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Calder wrote:

So was Maz in TFA, and a new character introduced in "Star Wars: Rebels" that looks like a giant rocky moose. I think Disney is trying to expand on the idea that not only Jedi and Sith can be Force-sensitive, and I'd expect to see more of that as the franchise evolves.

No one is born a Jedi or Sith. There are force sensitive people all across the universe. The Jedi attempt to identify them at a very early age so that they can train them to be Jedi. The Sith either try to steal them or kill them. They are also not necessarily born to force sensitive parents. This is why I don't understand why people need to have Rey related to anyone. She could just be another force sensitive kid. This was all established pre-Disney in the Clone Wars series. So the blind guy may have been force sensitive but had no idea how to control/use it.

cjg225

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:10 am

VSMUT wrote:
Sorry, but episode 1 was the first Star Wars movie I ever saw, and honestly 4, 5 and 6 remind me a bit of the muppet show with all those models and costumes rather than proper CG. They also completely miss out on the entire political backstory. They were just too simplistic.

:D

Ah.

I wrote a whole long post for this, but I decided against it because it probably comes off really catty. Leaving just this comment will suffice, I think: try to watch movies in the context of the time in which they were made. If you can look at a film's visual quality relative to its time rather then relative to the modern standard, it opens appreciation of a whole lot more of film history.

jetwet1 wrote:
There are a lot of younger people that like Esp :1,2 and 3, different generation, different taste I guess.

Heading off this morning to watch Rogue One

Yeah, I get that. Just like there are people who will grow up having seen TFA and RO first and think they're the best. I guess I'm fortunate that, while I wasn't that old when the PT came out (maybe 11? 12?), my parents had already shown me the OT a lot.

I like to think I can be objective about this stuff, and I'm probably not, but I still think I am. I think the OT, especially Hope and to a very, very marginally lesser extent Empire, are amongst the crowning achievements in movie history. They, with Return added in to complete the story, are pretty much the closest thing to a perfect modern epic film (or set of movies, to be fair). Like I said above to VSMUT, I think that if you can view a movie in the context of the time it was made, thus washing out the usually undeniable fact that a newer movie "looks" better than an older movie, it sets things to a more even playing field. A lot of my favorite movies are actually pretty old (one of my top 5 favorite movies is Casablanca, for instance... but that's not much of a surprise considering how widely it's considered one of if not THE best movie ever made), though there are plenty of new, modern films I love to death.

fr8mech

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:48 am

Did anyone else feel that the mivie took a bit of time to "come together?" It kept jumping around, trying real hard to develop the backstory in as quick a time as possible.

Not a bad effort. I liked it.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

VSMUT

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:24 am

fr8mech wrote:
Did anyone else feel that the mivie took a bit of time to "come together?" It kept jumping around, trying real hard to develop the backstory in as quick a time as possible.

Agreed. One moment we saw her in a jail, the next we saw some kind of city on an asteroide. If you blinked at the wrong moment, you would have thought they were the same place.

garpd

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:47 am

MORE SPOILERS!

I REPEAT: MORE SPOILERS!
-----------------
--------
---
-

I’ll make no bones about it, I found Rogue One to be as perfect as any movie can be. It fits right into the intended time frame. It is everything Episodes 1, 2 and 3 should have been. It leads nicely into Episode 4 at the very end.

The CGI Tarkin and Leia do the originals justice and I am glad they didn’t go for the cheaper “back of head of a body double” shot for their scenes which, when we first see Tarkin, I thought was all we were going to get. I let out an excited little yelp when the Rebel fleet appeared above Scarif and even cheered as I saw Red and Gold leader from Episode 4. They did not need to do that, but they did and it just added to the authenticity of the movie. The R2D2 and C3PO cameo was also perfect. 3PO doing his usual complaining and it explains why he tells look later he “thinks” he has been in several battles but has nothing to tell about them.
Vader, well, WOW. We get another confirmation of how ruthless he is. I have never been so afraid of that breather noise than when he activated his light saber in that dark corridor. Those poor rebel soldiers. You know instantly none of them will survive, and indeed they don’t. That would have been a terrifying final moment for them. We also now understand why Vader is so angry when he boards the Tantive IV and why he’s having none of it when the crew all tell him they don’t have any death star plans. He knows they have them and he saw them escape from under his cybernetic nose.
I loved how they even took the time to open the Red 5 spot for Luke as we see the unfortunate preceding Red 5 buy it. Again, just a small gesture that lends more credence to this films authentic look and feel.
Also... we see why there is no blue squadron. Those brave souls.

I have to say, that the dual Star Destroyer kill is the most impressive I have ever seen. That hammerhead cruiser is bitchin!
All in all, a perfect Star Wars movie that should be renamed “Episode 3”.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

neutrino
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Okie wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
I'm so sorry to hear that! My sincere condolences on your loss, sir. Hang in there
Calder wrote:
My sincerest condolences to you and yours this holiday season. I cannot imagine how you feel, but I hope you find some measure of solace in things the both of you loved and enjoyed together.

Thanks to all. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Okie

My commiserations as well.
I need not to tell you to be strong as I believe you are already.

neutrino
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:04 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
This is the only part of the film that I'm not entirely convinced about. At the start of A New Hope, Vader confronts Leia and says that "several transmissions were beamed at this ship by rebel spies", though in the movie the rebel soldiers physically bring aboard the data chip that contains the plans.

Leia's ship was in the belly of the flagship, so to Vader the data were transmitted to her, albeit indirectly, through the "mothership".

mke717spotter wrote:
Furthermore, Captain Antilles and Leia allege that their ship is on a "diplomatic" mission when they get captured, but I think its a little obvious that they're seen fleeing the battle above Scarif.

Both the good captain and the princess were lying through their teeth. If someone has seen and accused you of stealing their stuff and you have already disposed of them, you will naturally try to wiggle your way out since the proof is gone.
Those rebel scums are of strong character and ready to do anything for their cause. That Vader don't believe them was not that important anymore. Their task was done and they are ready to face the music if they have to.

cjg225

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:25 pm

neutrino wrote:
Leia's ship was in the belly of the flagship, so to Vader the data were transmitted to her, albeit indirectly, through the "mothership".

Yeah, that's really a stretch... A Corellian Corvette isn't like a motor launch. It's an entirely self-contained naval vessel. That it was small enough to dock with a much larger ship doesn't mean things transmitted to the flagship are "transmitted" to Tantive IV.

I think there was no cost to the movie to actually make the plans transmitted to Tantive IV than having them hand carried to the ship. It weakens the opening of Hope to me. What "tracing" did Vader have to do to get to Leia? Nothing. He physically saw the plans handed to a guy who got aboard Tantive IV.

Overall, it's a small item, but it's stuff like that that grinds my gears. If something has been established already, stick with it. And movie language is far more precise than real life language; Pablo Hidalgo's excuse that Vader had the wrong information and misspoke is so lazy.

WIederling

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:29 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
I think Disney is trying to expand on the idea that not only Jedi and Sith can be Force-sensitive, and I'd expect to see more of that as the franchise evolves.

There are beings that are susceptible to the Force to varying degrees.
Jedi and Sith recruit from those.

Nowhere has it been said that they reach all adepts.
Murphy is an optimist

garpd

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:20 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Yeah, that's really a stretch... A Corellian Corvette isn't like a motor launch. It's an entirely self-contained naval vessel. That it was small enough to dock with a much larger ship doesn't mean things transmitted to the flagship are "transmitted" to Tantive IV.

Nope, it really isn't. Not at all actually. POTUS takes his limousine around the world. So why can't a princess hide out on her own ship, ready to GTFO when the time comes?
Not a stretch at all really.

cjg225 wrote:
I think there was no cost to the movie to actually make the plans transmitted to Tantive IV than having them hand carried to the ship. It weakens the opening of Hope to me. What "tracing" did Vader have to do to get to Leia? Nothing. He physically saw the plans handed to a guy who got aboard Tantive IV.

The plans were transmitted by people who dressed as imperials to gain access to a database (ergo spies). The transmission was sent to the rebel fleet and then saved to a portable device. So the plans were transmitted. What is so hard to understand about that? Seriously. It weakens nothing but strengthens everything.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

kaitak

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:22 pm

I saw it last Sunday and really enjoyed it. I always like seeing people from earlier episodes and was extremely impressed with the way the late Peter Cushing was brought back to life as Tarkin. It was a very satisfying film experience and I'd happily sit through it again (maybe 3D next time).

cjg225

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:29 pm

garpd wrote:
Nope, it really isn't. Not at all actually. POTUS takes his limousine around the world. So why can't a princess hide out on her own ship, ready to GTFO when the time comes?
Not a stretch at all really.

Not sure how this bolsters your argument because in both cases the larger and smaller vehicles are very distinct entities.

Which doesn't even get into the, "Why the hell was she at the Battle of Scariff, anyway?" discussion, which additionally makes absolutely 0 sense...
garpd wrote:
The plans were transmitted by people who dressed as imperials to gain access to a database (ergo spies). The transmission was sent to the rebel fleet and then saved to a portable device. So the plans were transmitted. What is so hard to understand about that? Seriously. It weakens nothing but strengthens everything.

The plans were transmitted to the Rebel flagship. Not to Tantive IV. Tantive IV received the plans by courier. The line is that the plans were transmitted to this ship.

It would have cost absolutely nothing to actually make things line up.

mke717spotter

Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:02 am

After rewatching A New Hope I've discovered another possible plot hole. Right after Vader's classic "I find your lack of faith disturbing" line, Grand Moff Tarkin states "Lord Vader will provide us with the location of the rebel fortress by the time this station is operational." Of course, in Rogue One the Death Star is already functioning.