Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

neutrino
Topic Author

Re: Rogue One reviews - BEWARE: SPOILERS inside!

Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:47 am

mke717spotter wrote:
After rewatching A New Hope I've discovered another possible plot hole. Right after Vader's classic "I find your lack of faith disturbing" line, Grand Moff Tarkin states "Lord Vader will provide us with the location of the rebel fortress by the time this station is operational." Of course, in Rogue One the Death Star is already functioning.

Sigh! This is an aviation forum, so let me briefly explain with real world analogy most if not all here can understand. A newly developed airplane can have its first flights - and in the case of a fighter jet - have its weapon systems checked out and missiles/guns fired - but it will be awhile before its declared operational. There's a gulf between being functional and operational.

The DS was checked out and test-fired (in its case, on live targets) twice at different power levels on Jedha and Scarif. Then, the functions were analysed and if necessary, tweaked to ensure all is up to specs. The strike on Alderaan was the DS's first (and final?) operational firing. The prior two triggerings in R1 were functional shoots. So at the beginning of ANH, the DS was already functional and awaiting the final word that its operational.
Back to Earth, all airliners need to be flying around an awful lot and get certified before EIS. They don't get straight from the factory floor to their first revenue flight without all those proofing sorties.

You are seeing a plot hole where there is none. Cheers.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

jetwet1

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:05 am

VSMUT wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
Did anyone else feel that the mivie took a bit of time to "come together?" It kept jumping around, trying real hard to develop the backstory in as quick a time as possible.

Agreed. One moment we saw her in a jail, the next we saw some kind of city on an asteroide. If you blinked at the wrong moment, you would have thought they were the same place.

I agree the jumping around made it hard to follow, but, it also made me pay attention, there were parts where the movie dragged on, but, I did find the movie to be better than TFA and far better than 1-3 and it actually give me hope about the upcoming movies......And hey, no Jar Jar type characters, that's a win win for the whole world.

georgiabill

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:04 pm

Really enjoyed Rogue One. However I would have thought this movie should have continued where The Force Awakens left off. So now we are left wondering does Luke return? Does Kylo Ren complete his training? Do the rebels lead by Leah defeat their new enemy the First Order? Will the next movie address these questions or will it pick up where Rogue One left off?

petertenthije

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:27 pm

georgiabill wrote:
Really enjoyed Rogue One. However I would have thought this movie should have continued where The Force Awakens left off. So now we are left wondering does Luke return? Does Kylo Ren complete his training? Do the rebels lead by Leah defeat their new enemy the First Order? Will the next movie address these questions or will it pick up where Rogue One left off?
There will be a sequal to TFA. There are now two Star Wars series. The main series, the "saga" if you will, goes from episode 1 to (for now) episode 7. In addition to the saga there will be several individual movies to fill in some blanks and to maintain interest while the next movie of "the saga" is filmed. Rogue 1 was the fist of the "filler movies". I don't think it has been announced what the next "filler movie" will be, but it is a safe bet it won't be "Rogue 2". :D
Attamottamotta!

sammyk

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:53 pm

petertenthije wrote:
georgiabill wrote:
There will be a sequal to TFA. There are now two Star Wars series. The main series, the "saga" if you will, goes from episode 1 to (for now) episode 7. In addition to the saga there will be several individual movies to fill in some blanks and to maintain interest while the next movie of "the saga" is filmed. Rogue 1 was the fist of the "filler movies". I don't think it has been announced what the next "filler movie" will be, but it is a safe bet it won't be "Rogue 2". :D

I believe it has been confirmed that the Han Solo movie will be the next "anthology" movie due for release in 2018. It supposed to start filming in a few months.

Okie

Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:58 pm

So was it just Okie or did anyone else notice in all the movies there have been "Blasters" and all kinds of weapons being discharged through out Star Wars episodes and few people seem to have perished.

The ringer being Baze Malbus was always one shot one kill with his hand held repeater cannon. So was that because of "the force lite" with Baze or the repeater cannon?

Okie

lugie

Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:54 pm

Watched it last night and I liked it. A lot. Probably more than TFA just like most of you have mentioned.

What I loved most were the ending scenes, I would have never expected the movie to end so smoothly into Episode IV - you can literally watch them in a piece.
Generally the entire storyline was something new, it was a lot darker than your normal Star Wars movie which made it atmospherically phenomenal. Being Disney produced I had feared they would just introduce dozens of characters to have potential for even more spinoffs but the fact that they killed literally everyone who wouldn't be having a role in a later part worked really well in my opinion to illustrate the sheer brutality of the Galactic Civil War.
I also liked the characters of the Rogue One squadron a lot, being at times the direct opposite to the high moral standard Rebels/Jedi you knew from original series movies. The way Cassian Andor just shoots the guy in the beginning brings out a refereshingly new trait to Star Wars heroes - cold-blooded killer.
I was really positively surprised, it might be among the very best Star Wars movies out there.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

neutrino
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:34 am

georgiabill wrote:

Clearly you are not at one with the Force and the Force is not with you (with apologies to Chirrut Imwee). :biggrin:
The movie that will continue where TFA left off is the as yet untitled Ep VIII. You will have your questions answered in a few days less than a year.
Rogue One is not the movie you are looking for. You don't have to have a bad feeling about this. ;)
R1's timeline is about one and a half generation before the events of TFA. It ends just before ANH. Some labelled it as EP 3.5. I would say it is Ep 3.75 as there is room for another two separate (and not directly related to R1) "prequels" since its a twenty year gap between ROTS and ANH but that's a story for another time. :smile:

note: further apologies are due to Obi-wan Kenobi, Maz Kanata and many other SW characters for the Easter Eggs. :bouncy:

neutrino
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:33 pm

sammyk wrote:
I believe it has been confirmed that the Han Solo movie will be the next "anthology" movie due for release in 2018. It supposed to start filming in a few months.

:checkmark: The yet to be titled (maybe Han Solo: A Star Wars Story??) young Han Solo - with Chewie & Lando - origins movie will begin shooting in Feb 2017 and is slated for release in May 25 2018 though there's a likely chance that it might to bumped a few months to December.

neutrino
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:09 pm

Okie wrote:
The ringer being Baze Malbus was always one shot one kill with his hand held repeater cannon. So was that because of "the force lite" with Baze or the repeater cannon?

Okie

From what can be gathered from the movie and the tie-in novel, it looks like both Baze and Chirrut being Guardians of the Whills (whatever that is) are sort of Force sensitives/adepts with abilities far below that of Jedis and Siths but still considerable. After the Jedi purge and the general perceived absence of Force influence, and the Empire goons making a mess out of the people's lives, Baze gradually became disillusioned and skeptical (though he still retained his uncanny skill of "one-shot-one-kill"), but his good buddy Chirrut steadfastly held on. It later took the miraculous survival of Chirrut in his "faith" walk to the data master switch amid the Stormtroopers' heavy blaster fire, and his subsequent death to make Baze regain his belief, taking up his close friend's mantra of "I'm one with the Force, and the Force is with me......"

neutrino
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:11 pm

From the novelization on Baze's last thoughts as he leaves behind the fallen Chirrut and began his final steps to be at one with the Force:
He knew again the significance of the Force in every breath and action, knew all he had forsaken in years past; saw the vast gulf between the Guardian he had been and the man he was now, and wept in his heart for both.

That touching scene of Baze and Chirrut at the moments surrounding the latter's last breath is the only one that made my eyes watered again during my second viewing. There should be a spinoff of this spinoff telling the origins story of these courageous Guardians of the Whills......I hope.

jetwet1

Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:13 pm

The small fact that Storm Troopers were actually able to hit a target should not be ignored either.

DeltaDog

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:54 am

mke717spotter wrote:
After rewatching A New Hope I've discovered another possible plot hole. Right after Vader's classic "I find your lack of faith disturbing" line, Grand Moff Tarkin states "Lord Vader will provide us with the location of the rebel fortress by the time this station is operational." Of course, in Rogue One the Death Star is already functioning.

Not really. Destroying the holy city on Jedah and the base at Scarif were "single reactor" tests of the super laser that didn't destroy the whole planet. It wasn't until they decided to wax Alderaan that the full power of the Death Star was used. Remember Grand Moff Tarkin said to Leia that she would be witness to a test that would make the battle station fully operational.
"Have fun storming the castle!"

coolian2

Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:07 am

mke717spotter wrote:

No, because it is made clear that they're firing it at low power.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

neutrino
Topic Author

Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:08 am

DeltaDog wrote:
Not really.....

coolian2 wrote:
No.....

Aren't you guys a little late to the party?
I've already explained fully to mke717spotter in post #51 over a week ago. Or perhaps you haven't read it? Whatever, it doesn't really matter.
Anyway, don't go Rogue and may the Force be with you for a new Hope in 2017!
Happy New Year to one and all!
:champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne:

:point:
neutrino wrote:
Sigh! This is an aviation forum, so let me briefly explain with real world analogy most if not all here can understand. A newly developed airplane can have its first flights - and in the case of a fighter jet - have its weapon systems checked out and missiles/guns fired - but it will be awhile before its declared operational. There's a gulf between being functional and operational.

The DS was checked out and test-fired (in its case, on live targets) twice at different power levels on Jedha and Scarif. Then, the functions were analysed and if necessary, tweaked to ensure all is up to specs. The strike on Alderaan was the DS's first (and final?) operational firing. The prior two triggerings in R1 were functional shoots. So at the beginning of ANH, the DS was already functional and awaiting the final word that its operational.
Back to Earth, all airliners need to be flying around an awful lot and get certified before EIS. They don't get straight from the factory floor to their first revenue flight without all those proofing sorties.

You are seeing a plot hole where there is none. Cheers.

coolian2

Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:11 am

Woah I even remember reading that. Oops!
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

Asturias

Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:05 am

Absolutely loved Rogue One and I can't wait to see it again. That's a feeling I have not had since I saw the original trilogy. It's that good.
Tonight we fly

flyingturtle

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Little chemistry between the actors, Jyn being a grey mouse and then suddenly holds a speech and is a rebel in and out, the last 40 minutes are a military action flick, the plot holes (e.g. the Geonosians had the plans for the Death Star about 10 years before the story of "Rogue One" takes place)... and Jyn being recruited as a rebel simply because her father designed the Death Star. Wouldn't you rather select somebody with some pre-existing abilities to... fight?

Rapid switching between places and planets

The CGI is the only positive thing. The next film will be "Star Wars: The Search for More Money".

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

AirPacific747

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:56 pm

The movie was okay... I think you have to be a Star Wars fan to truly appreciate it. It's not going to be on my favorites list, but that's simply because I'm not that much in to the Star Wars universe.

bmacleod

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:56 pm

On the whole it seemed parts of Ep 4 New Hope and Ep 5. Empire Strikes Back were just cut and pasted - too much CGI eye candy and lack of originality?

Final scene of CGI Leia Carrie Fisher is somewhat haunting.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

sammyk

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:49 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Little chemistry between the actors, Jyn being a grey mouse and then suddenly holds a speech and is a rebel in and out

It seems her father's message inspired her.

flyingturtle wrote:
the plot holes (e.g. the Geonosians had the plans for the Death Star about 10 years before the story of "Rogue One" takes place)

So? Were they up to date? I'm sure much more was added in those years, included the sabotage.

flyingturtle wrote:
Jyn being recruited as a rebel simply because her father designed the Death Star. Wouldn't you rather select somebody with some pre-existing abilities to... fight?

Not just because her father designed the Death Star, but her connection to Saw Gerrera. She was also trained as a soldier by Saw.

It's all right there in the movie. Did you watch it?

neutrino
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:25 pm

sammyk wrote:
Did you watch it?

There are always people who watch without seeing, see without perceiving. There's one born every minute. ;)