Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Derico
Topic Author

If it had to, where would the UN Assembly recolate to?

Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:29 am

Is there such a thing within the mountains of UN bureaucracy and file rooms something like a "contingency plan" of relocating the UN from New York? For example, in case of a terrorist attack destroying the structure, war breaking out and the city being occupied, nuclear attack on that city, etc.

Of course, if there is one, it's possible that the above scenarios are the ones the planners had thought about. The irony is that if the UN has to relocate headquarters, it may not be for any of those.

I have a inkling that something may happen in the next few years that will have the UN itself considering getting out of the USA, or having no choice on the matter.

So, where would they go? Interesting that in the past I have not heard many other countries really lobbying for them to go to their country either...
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

BestWestern

Re: If it had to, where would the UN Assembly recolate to?

Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:38 am

Montreal.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Channex757

Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:48 am

Geneva. Already has a big presence there.

petertenthije

Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:03 am

Strassbourg has complete infrastructure that is only used once per month. Might as well stick them there and stop the useless EU travelling circus.
Attamottamotta!

VSMUT

Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:16 am

Switzerland would be my guess. Neutral and fiercely peaceful country, easy access from the entire world. Almost nobody has a horn in the side of that country (Except for Colonel Ghaddafi, he banished the Swiss merchant fleet from entering Libyan ports when he was in power).

:)

Derico
Topic Author

Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:18 am

Geneva sounds logical, but why was it that the UN split between Geneva and New York in the first place? Whatever the reason for having two locales, would that reasoning still hold today?

WIederling

Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:46 pm

Derico wrote:
Geneva sounds logical, but why was it that the UN split between Geneva and New York in the first place? Whatever the reason for having two locales, would that reasoning still hold today?

Full snooping infrastructure available with no hassle at all. The Swiss take less kindly to such activities.
Murphy is an optimist

jetwet1

Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:46 pm

Derico wrote:

You have to go way back to the League of Nations and it's failures, but the short an sweet answer is, the UN headquarters were placed in NYC to stop the USA from bailing on it and going back into an isolationist state.

einsteinboricua

Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:52 pm

Switzerland is definitely a sure bet. Free from the EU as well, it would allow it complete neutrality to properly host all UN organs.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

scbriml

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:07 am

With Trump about to move into the White House, it wouldn't surprise me if those backup plans were being dusted off right now.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

TWA772LR

Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:20 am

Geneva sounds good, but would The Hague be a back up? The World Court is there, and no one knows hospitality like the Dutch. And after a heated assembly, the leaders can go to a coffee shop to defuse tensions and eventually lead to world peace.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Derico
Topic Author

Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:17 am

I was wondering if Asia was looking like a more logical option: the world's population center by far is East Asia-Indian subcontinent. Were it not for North Korea, Seoul would be a good choice: a country between Japan and China on the historical sense, and fairly neutral world affairs.

Switzerland is not as popular a country as it used to be. Many people these days think their Neutrality has gone too far and used as an excuse to "see the other way" when it comes to taking in the money of criminals and tax evaders from all other countries, which is why in recent years the Swiss have seen the heat turned one by the EU, US, China, and smaller regional powers in Latin America and South East Asia, all demanding the Swiss to open up.

They may as well move outside of the "old guard" of NATO countries which is eroding in power anyway, if the UN has to move from New York, and Trump is looking to be not only unpredictable and without any knowledge of world affairs and history (nice combo), but increasingly he is looking to be amenable to allow himself to become a vehicle for truly far-right Judeo-Christians, I don't mean just very conservative but sane ones. He seems to be open to the listening to the ones that want to bring the Rapture along quicker.

Dublinspotter

Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Evening all,

Interesting question, especially with the recent election victory of Donald Trump it is more possible than ever for the United Nations General Assembly being asked to leave New York for elsewhere by the Trump administration. Trump has been vocal of his distrust towards international organisations citing that they piggy-back off American leadership and resources. He has also threatened changes are coming at the United Nations (UN) and NATO, as recently as Friday (23rd Dec.). I'd expect a changeup in U.S. relations with UN/NATO in the mid-term.

Regarding UN relocation a few cities come to mind:

Possible relocations can include the UN facilities in Geneva, Vienna, Nairobi, The Hague and Copenhagen. All hosting headquarters for various United Nations agencies and would often be used to high populations of visiting dignitaries. So local authorities like like the police and government would be well used to such movements of delegations.

I personally see a relocation to Switzerland as being the most obvious with already the UN having the largest presence there of any other cities mentioned above and the facilities often used by UN officials. (Most probably because of the skiing and Lindt chocolate possibilities!)

Thought should be considered towards Norway too. Norway, in particular Oslo have experience hosting peace deals and international conferences in the past. Although this would be among the more expensive options as it would purely symbolic, also there is no fixed UN presence in Norway nonetheless an attractive incentive is being free from EU bureaucracy. So building a whole new UN City akin to that in Copenhagen would need constructed taking up time and financial reserves.

Brussels and Strasbourg having previous experience with hosting international organisations like the EU and NATO are likely contenders but the UN may seek independence from other IO's like the EU. Primarily to prevent conflict of interests.

Interesting question and look forward to hearing more answers.

Cheers,

Chris.
Dublinspotter

flyingclrs727

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:56 pm

Dubai

Dubai has lots of lots of very large modern empty buildings immediately available. It also has lots of non-stop wide body airline service to a large number of the world's primary and secondary cities. Many of the aircraft serving Dubai have inernational first class service.

dtw2hyd

Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:15 pm

Brilliant Idea. When is UN planning to move? Trump can redevelop this property and move in rather quickly, on budget, on time. NYPD, USSS and others will be very happy.

Montreal - One cannot think straight when balls are freezing. ICAO is best example.
Dubai - ACPs are major issue. You don't want world leaders in buildings with ACPs.
All posts are just opinions.

flyingclrs727

Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:52 pm

New York and the United Nations: Time for a divorce
BY KATRIN PARK
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Monday, September 23, 2013, 4:06 PM

It’s time for New York and the UN to split.

A book out this year by Charlene Mires (“Capital of the World: The Race to Host the United Nations”) chronicles how in 1946, New York beat out 248 other cities to host the utopian organization the post-war generation hoped would bring us world peace. Its presence added to the city’s force as the center of international business, politics and culture.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/new- ... -1.1465170

flyingturtle

Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:59 pm

Well... Hawaii. :biggrin:

The island of Niʻihau was considered as a possible location for the United Nations headquarters in 1944 by Franklin D. Roosevelt. Roosevelt had visited Hawaiʻi in 1934.[21] Under Cordell Hull, Roosevelt's Secretary of State, the State Department seriously studied the proposal.[22]

But well... Ni'ihau doesn't belong anymore to the King of Hawaii, does it?

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

flyingclrs727

Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:17 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Well... Hawaii. :biggrin:

The island of Niʻihau was considered as a possible location for the United Nations headquarters in 1944 by Franklin D. Roosevelt. Roosevelt had visited Hawaiʻi in 1934.[21] Under Cordell Hull, Roosevelt's Secretary of State, the State Department seriously studied the proposal.[22]

But well... Ni'ihau doesn't belong anymore to the King of Hawaii, does it?

David

Finally European airlines would start flying non-stop to Hawaii.

VSMUT

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:07 am

Another two options could be Finland and Austria. Both a non-aligned with NATO and almost completely non-aggressive, although they are both members of the EU.

Derico wrote:
I was wondering if Asia was looking like a more logical option: the world's population center by far is East Asia-Indian subcontinent. Were it not for North Korea, Seoul would be a good choice: a country between Japan and China on the historical sense, and fairly neutral world affairs.

While I agree that something more Asian-centric makes more sense, there is also the unfortunate reality that all the countries in that part of the world seem to hate each other. New Zealand would probably be the only viable option.

Derico wrote:
Switzerland is not as popular a country as it used to be. Many people these days think their Neutrality has gone too far and used as an excuse to "see the other way" when it comes to taking in the money of criminals and tax evaders from all other countries, which is why in recent years the Swiss have seen the heat turned one by the EU, US, China, and smaller regional powers in Latin America and South East Asia, all demanding the Swiss to open up.

When it comes to neutrality and not taking a side in all the worlds conflicts, then Switzerland is still as popular as ever. Hardly anyone will object to having the UN located there or traveling to the general assembly once a year. And the host country is unlikely to complain either. Just look at all the trouble when Qaddafi and Ahmadinejad caused when they decided to visit the UN, and the host would rather that they kept as far away as possible. And how would Japan feel about going to the UN in China or vice versa, during a major South China Sea crisis?

Derico wrote:
They may as well move outside of the "old guard" of NATO countries which is eroding in power anyway

Agreed, the UN shouldn't be located in a NATO country, just like they didn't belong in the Warzaw pact.

WIederling

Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:24 pm

Antarctica.
Murphy is an optimist

WIederling

Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:51 pm

WIederling wrote:
Antarctica.

Then, a cruise ship roaming the international oceans should work perfectly.

Propulsion by "Hot Vapors Drive".

No landfall before the current issues aren't tabled.
Murphy is an optimist

L410Turbolet

Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:00 pm

Abandoned oil rig?

WIederling

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:23 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Abandoned oil rig?

OK, they are prepared to burn off unwanted fumes. That gives some safety.
Though I think those platforms lack in available room and accomodation quality.

Still think a cruise ship, bigger and more "accomodating" than ever before
would be a perfect fit _and_ would provide enough carrot to
make the transition a sought after thing.

For the whip New York could disallow diplomat immunity to UN traffic offenders.
( should provide for a win/win situation.)
Murphy is an optimist

bunumuring

Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:15 pm

Australia....
Specifically Sydney or Canberra.
I would like to think we are respected enough worldwide and have the integrity to host such an important forum.
We certainly can host world events and have the necessary technology and infrastructure to ease the transition from NYC.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

coolian2

Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:42 pm

VSMUT wrote:
While I New Zealand would probably be the only viable option.

Half of the country is prone to natural disaster and Auckland is vastly too expensive and is running out of space.

I love the idea but I feel like it's a bit impractical
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

Dutchy

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:25 pm

how about Bhutan? Or an African Nation like Zambia or Tanzania, reasonable stable and democratic countries. But I agree with Geneva, Switzerland as an alternative, is most likely.

If the scenario of the first poster ever became true, then there would be no use for the UN anyway so that makes this discusion an academic one ;-)
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Pyrex

Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:14 pm

Anywhere other than NYC would be fine - NYC barely has enough infrastructure to handle a sunny day when everything is going fine, let alone the chaos caused by UN General Assembly. Plus, not having to deal with entitled diplomats who think they can park wherever they feel like and trash rented apartments without any consequences would be great. Time for that cancer to stop being a pain in the ass to NYC.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Dutchy

Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:57 pm

Pyrex wrote:
Anywhere other than NYC would be fine - NYC barely has enough infrastructure to handle a sunny day when everything is going fine, let alone the chaos caused by UN General Assembly. Plus, not having to deal with entitled diplomats who think they can park wherever they feel like and trash rented apartments without any consequences would be great. Time for that cancer to stop being a pain in the ass to NYC.

True, NYC isn't a diplomatic city, better to move it. But I don't think America will be too kind to the idea of moving it out of the US.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Flighty

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:07 pm

How about Peking? They have very tasty duck there. :D

Derico
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:17 am

Dutchy wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

True, NYC isn't a diplomatic city, better to move it. But I don't think America will be too kind to the idea of moving it out of the US.

Now that you put it that would, I think it would even be a great idea!

Kills two birds with one stone: gets the UN to live within its means (with a quarter of your budget gone, even assuming the rest of the world picks up 1/4 that slack, that is still 18-20% less of a budget to work with), it would help with corruption and bureaucracy. It would also be quite a humbling of the US government, which needs a good humbling any chance you can get to it.

Both results would be great.

solarflyer22

Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:34 am

WIederling wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:
Abandoned oil rig?

OK, they are prepared to burn off unwanted fumes. That gives some safety.
Though I think those platforms lack in available room and accomodation quality.

Still think a cruise ship, bigger and more "accomodating" than ever before
would be a perfect fit _and_ would provide enough carrot to
make the transition a sought after thing.

For the whip New York could disallow diplomat immunity to UN traffic offenders.
( should provide for a win/win situation.)

It should move to a country that is neutral and will actually abide by the UN hosting agreement which says that all diplomatic missions will be given visas. What the USA has done several times to Libya, Iran and Russia is either delay the VISA approval till the day of, or just denied it altogether. Its a clear violation of the UN agreement they signed to host it (I read the actual doc). Switzerland has never done this with the Geneva office so they get my vote. I would not trust Russia, UK, China or India to not do what the US did. Everyone needs to have a voice at the UN.

zippyjet

Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:19 am

Not to be flip but: Image
If they needed temporary offices/facilities they could always utilize a large ship and take to the sea.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

EA CO AS

Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:35 am

If it had to, where would the UN Assembly recolate to?

Why not San Francisco? It'll be the eventual headquarters of the United Federation of Planets, so we might as well get a head start on that.... ;)

Being serious for a moment though, what about Jerusalem? Yes, there's probably not sufficient infrastructure in place currently, but it would be a great way to have that city recognized as an "International Free Zone" controlled by the U.N. and end the bickering back and forth between Israel and its neighbors over its status.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Derico
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:21 am

I don't think either side would go for that.

If it wasn't for distance to the major population centers, Montevideo would also be a nice candidate.

PanHAM

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:13 am

Pyoengyang would fit nicely with many of the resolutions of the UN. . The majority of member countries are not democratic anyhow, hence the diplomats are used to the living conditions, including the double Standards of course They have lots of empty buildings. OK, some are without heat but therefore they are without air conditioning in the summer. The host is a jolly good falla that throws big parties every night. Western diplomats could spend the weekends in Beijing which would give Air Koryo a boost.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

WIederling

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:19 am

bunumuring wrote:
Australia....
I would like to think we are respected enough worldwide and have the integrity to host such an important forum.
We certainly can host world events and have the necessary technology and infrastructure to ease the transition from NYC.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

Fife Eyes, Coalition of the Willing.

no change, NO, thanks,.
Murphy is an optimist

VSMUT

Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:35 pm

WIederling wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Australia....
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

Fife Eyes, Coalition of the Willing.

no change, NO, thanks,.

Plus the following: USMC bases on its soil, very closely aligned with the US, often strained relations with Indonesia, a firm opponent of China...

jfklganyc

Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:59 pm

With the US/Israel mess this week...but strap in. It's going to be a long 4-8 years for the UN/US relationship

zippyjet

Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:42 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
With the US/Israel mess this week...but strap in. It's going to be a long 4-8 years for the UN/US relationship

[size=150Which, should be fun to say the least! I personally do not hold the UN in high regard. I'll leave it at that.][/size]
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

11725Flyer

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:39 pm

When the EU breaks apart, there will some prime office space in Brussels that's available.