Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DLFREEBIRD
Topic Author

What are your predictions for 2017

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:59 pm

Crystal ball in had, what are your predictions for 2017.

CNN does this every year, i thought it would be fun.

Which country will Donald Trump visit First as President?
Which team will win the Super Bowl?
Which movie will win the Oscar for Best Picture?
Who will win the World Series?
Who will win the men's final at Wimbledon? and who will win the women's final?
Who will win the Nobel Peace Prize in 2017?
What will be the closing level for the Down Jones on the Last day of 2017?
What will Donald Trump's approval rating be in Gallup's final survey of 2017?

ltbewr

Re: What are your predictions for 2017

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:43 am

I do believe the NYSE will have its current bubble break with a significant percentage drop in the Dow Jones Average. That is going to have a serious affect on everyone, pension and retirement funds badly hit, major loss of tax revenues of corporations and individuals and general disruption of the economy.
There is going to be massive battles over Pres. Trump's proposed appointments, especially for the US Supreme Court, with some compromises due to corporate pressures, some Democrats in now 'red' dominate states fearful of losing by not co-operating with Pres. Trump, and to keep our government functioning so to limit damage to the markets.
I suspect the first country Trump will visit as President will be Israel and the first Head of State he will honor in the USA will be Bibi Nethanhau to stick it to Pres. Obama and to placate his Jewish and Evangelical Christians. I don't see all but a few countries wanting to see him or invite him or even go to, certainty none in the Islamic world and many in Western Europe.
Patriots win the 2017 Super Bowl.
As to some of the other items, I don't have a clue.

Hillis

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:54 am

-The GOP will shut down Obamacare, with no replacement in sight.
-The Republicans will continue to gnaw away at voting rights, LGBT rights, and women's rights.
-Rex Tillerson will not be confirmed as SecState
-Trump will not undo the Iran nuclear deal.
-We will find out that the GOP was directly involved with Russia in the hacking of the elections.
-The Chicago Cubs will not repeat as World Series Champions
-By the end of 2017, the dow will be down about 5000 points from where it is now.
-The New England Patriots will win Super Bowl 50
-The Cleveland Cavaliers will win back-to-back NBA championships
-Alabama will beat Clemson in the 2017 National Championship game next week.

fr8mech

Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:05 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Which country will Donald Trump visit First as President?

United Kingdom

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
What will be the closing level for the Down Jones on the Last day of 2017?

The Dow will suffer a loss. It has been carried by quantitative easing for too long. Will it be as bad as some say? I don't think so. A loss of 10% in rapid fashion, with another, slower sell-off of 5% is what we'll probably see.

To tell you the truth, on the political front, I don't see a whole lot changing. While the GOP currently holds responsibility for the power in both houses and the Executive, I find their tenuous grasp on the Senate to be the determining factor. McConnell and Ryan will temper Trump. My overarching concern is that the Trump presidency will be like the Obama presidency. Both act like petulant children when they don't get their way. Obama is a little more eloquent about it, but they are the same type of personality. I fear the executive order and the regulatory state will be used to circumvent the legislative process.

The interesting thing to watch, politically, will be the states. For the most part, they are firmly in the hands of the GOP, and I expect to see them exert some influence and try to regain power lost in the last few decades.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

af773atmsp

Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:31 pm

-Trump and GOP will attempt to wipe out most of Obama's agendas. Some success, and probably beneficial for white middle class Americans, but everyone else probably won't get much benefit (except of course the upper class). Affordable Care Act will either be repealed and the GOP won't know what to do then, or the Affordable Care Act won't be repealed and the GOP won't know what to do.

-Relations with Russia improve thanks to Trump, but scandal will ensue claiming Trump and the GOP were in on election hacking and could possibly blow up into the biggest political scandal since Watergate.

-LGBTQ rights will be affected in red states, however gay marriage won't be repealed.

-EU won't want to deal with Trump and relations become bitter.

-Scotland considers vote to leave Britain and join the EU.

-New England Patriots win Super Bowl.

-Minnesota Twins win the 2017 World Series, coming out as the underdogs after a few awful seasons.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

angusjt

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:28 pm

- Market will crack in late 2017 or early 2018

- More countries will vote to leave the EU or set up referendums (Netherlands & France in particular)

- Russia will expand more into Ukraine with little opposition from the US

- US/Russia relations will be restored for the most part but still be somewhat rocky

- Trump will have a failed assassination attempt

- North Korea will begin to crack for the last time and by 2025 be absorbed into China

einsteinboricua

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:06 pm

-Nationalism will rise in many EU countries, possibly signaling the beginning of the end of the project as we know it.
-The UK will not invoke Article 50
-The GOP will start chipping away at Obamacare, but play along the lines of Brexit leaders (not repealing it right away...waiting until AFTER the midterm election).
-Many Trump nominees may face significant opposition to their confirmation process.
-Russia will flex its muscle with little US resistance.
-China stirs from its slumber and also flexes its muscle.
-ISIS finally expelled from Iraq and left with a few pockets in Syria
-Stock market tanks at least 10% (wouldn't be surprised if DJIA hits 14k)
-North Korea still throws a hissy fit for everything
-Israel continues settlement expansion; Palestine gets mad; Arab allies decide to play hard (maybe an oil spike through OPEC)
-The euro reaches parity with the US dollar; the pound continues its march below $1.20
-Same sex marriage, abortion, and marihuana legalization on the fence. The former two will be "reverted to the states"; the latter will be taken over by federal government (ironic, isn't it?).
-Puerto Rico continues its death spiral; the economic council decides to enter the fray and set its own budget proposals. The governor elect, being a statehood supporter, uses it as a rallying cry for statehood.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

NIKV69

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:44 pm

I was hoping the Raiders winning the SB but that doesn't look too good now. :banghead:
I am the Googlizer!!!

solarflyer22

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:22 pm

I think it will be another tough year with maybe a slight improvement over 2016. I think you might see some minor improvements in the economy in the US and small improvements in Syria, Iraq. I dont think Obamacare will be repealed just yet. Perhaps made optional with no penalty for no coverage. I say Cowboys or Pats win the superbowl. I am leaning toward Cowboys.

DLFREEBIRD
Topic Author

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:25 pm

double post. sorry don't know why my computer keeps doing this.
Last edited by DLFREEBIRD on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DLFREEBIRD
Topic Author

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:28 pm

i think what goes up must come down. i thought last year the stock market would correct itself and it didn't. I'm sure Bubble boy will help it reach
20,000 and it will probably stay there for 2017.

I think Trump will be good on our economy short term, so yeah i think the first year will be a honeymoon period . His tax cuts will bump the economy. Reagan and Bush, trickle down stops working about 2 years in, so they kept giving out more and more tax cuts. The reason trickle down doesn't work is because people get used to the extra money, So they have to keep on doing more and more tax cuts, which will hurt our economy and grow our deficit. If Trump can manage to grow our economy then
were good but his math isn't adding up, or so says the experts.

i think Serena Williams will win Wimbledon, Star Wars will probably win something, I want the New York Mets to win. however i'm sure someone will shortly be by to explain why that won't happen.

Donald Trump approval rating will probably be good in 2017, unless he appeal Obamacare completely.

Hillis

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:33 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
i think what goes up must come down. i thought last year the stock market would correct itself and it didn't. I'm sure Bubble boy will help it reach
20,000 and it will probably stay there for 2017.

I think Trump will be good on our economy short term, so yeah i think the first year will be a honeymoon period . His tax cuts will bump the economy. Reagan and Bush, trickle down stops working about 2 years in, so they kept giving out more and more tax cuts. The reason trickle down doesn't work is because people get used to the extra money, So they have to keep on doing more and more tax cuts, which will hurt our economy and grow our deficit. If Trump can manage to grow our economy then
were good but his math isn't adding up, or so says the experts.

i think Serena Williams will win Wimbledon, Star Wars will probably win something, I want the New York Mets to win. however i'm sure someone will shortly be by to explain why that won't happen.

Donald Trump approval rating will probably be good in 2017, unless he appeal Obamacare completely.

He's already way underwater on his approval before taking office. I don't think what he and the GOP will do to health care, Medicare and Medicaid will boost his standing at all. I think he'll be more unpopular by years end than he is right now.

DLFREEBIRD
Topic Author

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:28 pm

not in Russia

Aesma

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:33 am

angusjt wrote:
- More countries will vote to leave the EU or set up referendums (Netherlands & France in particular)

For France only one main candidate is proposing such a referendum, Marine Le Pen, and her road to getting elected is very difficult. She would need the right-wing candidate François Fillon to crash and burn before the election (he's currently leading the polls), ending up with a left-wing candidate against her in the runoff. And even then some of those left-wing candidates are more likely to win than she is.

Some people are drawing comparisons with Trump, but it's a flawed comparison, as there is a mainstream right-wing candidate. It would be like if Trump had run as an independant on top of someone like Jeb Bush as the GOP nominee.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

bmacleod

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:39 pm

- Some of Obamacare may be rolled back but key elements like coverage for people with pre-existing conditions will stay.
- Due to deficit projections, Trump's tax plans will likely be delayed.
- Trump will likely lose more supporters after he backs down from key campaign promises like investigating Hillary and banning Muslims from entering US.
- Keystone XL will be approved but Canadian PM Trudeau may have to make sacrifices to save 1000s of Canadian jobs under threat from losing NAFTA.
- Patriots will probably win Super Bowl.
- Cubs may repeat as World Series champs.
- Unlike last year when Canadian teams were shutout of the playoffs - there will be at least 3 Canadian teams in Stanley Cup playoffs.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

Ken777

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:30 pm

The GOP will "repeal" the ACA, but only cutting a little bit - and renaming it Trump Care. The insurance companies will be well taken care of and most of Trump's faithful will be too stupid to notice that things aren't better.

Trump and his Billionaire's Boys Club will get the massive tax breaks they want, the average guy will basically get zip and Trump's followers . . .

The Minimum Wage will not be increased so it will continue to push those low wage employers deeper into the poverty level.

Trump's first trip will be to Israel as no one in Europe wants him to visit them.

Someone will finally get through Trump's thick skull that he needs to spend a bit of money on some clothes that actually fit so he can button his suit coat. The guy looks like a cheap slob walking around with that coat unbuttoned and his shirt collar too tight. Sadly Robert Hall has closed down as I think he would have liked those two pair of pants with every suit There is no hope of ending that fluffy hair style (and color) or that orange spray on his face. Maybe he can get Vogue to team up with his wife to select better colors.

Dallas will win the Super Bowl.

While there are some who want to see Article 50 ASAP I believe that the Parliament will demand their right of approval of the core aspects before letting it go. At some point there might even be some in the UK questioning if Russia interfered with that election as they did ours.

The markets will have some major problems because of turmoil that Trump is going to bring to the country.

Trump continues to Tweet, looking more like a fool every month of the first year. At some point Kellyann will take his phone away from him, but he will sneak in and use his 10 year old's son's iPhone.

zkojq

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:57 pm

- Airbus will sell a lot of A330neos in Asia.
- Trump will crash the US economy, significant job losses.
- AerBerlin will go bankrupt.
- Alitalia will also go bankrupt (finally) and will cease operations.
- The All Blacks will smash the Lions.
- Massive aggression from Russia towards Ukraine and other European states on its border.
- Ergodan will tighten his grip on power in Turkey even further, causing the whole place to get worse much quicker.
- The EU will start to act more assertively and will flex its diplomatic and economic might.
- Marine Le Pen will not win the French election.
- Qatar will continue to take A350 deliveries at a snail's pace. U-Turn-Al will say something very salty.
- Boeing drops the 737-9MAX after realising what a total dog it is and United shifts their order to -8MAXs.
- Britain will start to feel the economic pain of Brexit.
- This year won't be the year for Ferrari in F1. :(
- Boeing sells less than 10 777Xs.
- Virgin Australia will undergo massive restructuring after equity holders refuse to pump even more money into the company.
- Carrie Lam will become Hong Kong's next Chief Executive.
- Cyril Abiteboul's will mismanage RenaultSport F1 and they won't have a year that's much better than 2016.
- Boeing will not be able to support rate 12 production of the 787.
- The US3 will lose further market share to ULCCs like Spirit and Frontier.
- Air France will (try to) switch all shorthaul, narrowbody flying over to Hop or Transavia.
- Daniel Ricciardo will win at least two Formula One races. His teammate will win less than Danny Ric and will also have a massive, massive shunt at some point in the season.
- Qantas will confirm that they will operate some A321neos.
- Valtteri Bottas will give Lewis Hamilton a good run for his money and will receive a lot of hate for it. Many conspiracy theories will emerge as to why Hamilton isn't thrashing him.
- The USA's deficit will balloon out of control. Tea Party Patriots will forget that they used to care about this.
- A321neo will be even more ridiculously popular than it is now, despite challenging economic conditions.
- Trump won't build a wall. Not even a fence.
- United Airlines will be chronically mismanaged.
- Xiamen Airlines will announce a service to Auckland.
- Esteban Ocon will outscore Sergio Perez.
- The New Zealand National Party will lose the election and, riding a wave of popular support, Winston Peters will be our Prime Minister.
First to fly the 787-9