Francoflier
Topic Author

Trump vs. ethics

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:24 am

In the never ending saga that is the budding Trump presidency, here is the latest episode:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38591754

Nothing new, really, he just intends to carry on as he planned and leave his sons running his businesses while he governs and try to get away with it by pinky promising he just won't talk about it with them...

He either has the balls to just push this through in the face of any proper moral value (granted, he has none), or he is stupid enough to believe it himself.
This would have been a major political scandal not a few years ago, but in this new bizarro World we live in, this is barely a footnote.

This particular nugget made me laugh:
Professor Richard Painter, who was President George W Bush's chief ethics lawyer, stated frankly: "The plan we heard today does not comply with the law."

You know it's bad when the guy in charge of George W. Bush's ethical conduct says that's no good. :rotfl:

I'd post the CNN link as well, by apparently CNN is a liberal-propaganda-fake-news-machine now.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

tommy1808

Re: Trump vs. ethics

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:42 am

Francoflier wrote:
Nothing new, really, he just intends to carry on as he planned and leave his sons running his businesses while he governs and try to get away with it by pinky promising he just won't talk about it with them...

Well, he already admitted he lied about it during yesterdays press conference. So,

"The trio in charge "will make decisions for the duration of the presidency without any involvement whatsoever by President-elect Trump", she said."

Is a lie again.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

cpd

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:47 am

Sounds like cycling back in the old days, signing a bit of paper promising not to dope. ;)

Lets see how things go. If it doesn't work out, it will be the blueprint for future rules on conflicts of interest and ethics.

PanHAM

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:01 am

I cannot imagine that a President acts ethical when he transfers the family business, that relies 100% on him and his Name, to his sons. The 500 or so companies are nothing without Trump Sr. himself.
He can fool some people some times but he cannot fool all people all the time.
Nixon was bound to be impeached (before he voluntarly stepped down) because he lied on his involvement in Watergate. If Trump carries on the way he does, my bet is that he will go Nixon's way latest in 2 years when the majority in both houses will go to the Dems.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

tommy1808

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:21 pm

PanHAM wrote:
I cannot imagine that a President acts ethical when he transfers the family business, that relies 100% on him and his Name, to his sons. The 500 or so companies are nothing without Trump Sr. himself.

He can´t sell his companies for the same reasons he can´t show his tax returns: everyone would know his net worth is nowhere near 8 Billion.

best regards
Thomas

pvjin

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:56 pm

PanHAM wrote:
He can fool some people some times but he cannot fool all people all the time.
Nixon was bound to be impeached (before he voluntarly stepped down) because he lied on his involvement in Watergate. If Trump carries on the way he does, my bet is that he will go Nixon's way latest in 2 years when the majority in both houses will go to the Dems.

What a touching liberal daydream, too bad for you it won't become a reality.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

Francoflier
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:56 pm

cpd wrote:
Lets see how things go.

Hmm... Do you really want to give him the benefit of the doubt?

He has told so many lies that he has actually normalized falsehood.

How long a leash do we want to give him before he starts running for it? Why would he need to stay involved in his businesses? Does he not care about running America more? Isn't that why he ran in the first place? Why take risk so much if it doesn't matter to him?

If there is one valid reason he is willing to defy long established ethical guidelines and keep his business within his grasp, I'd like to know what it is...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

afcjets

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Francoflier wrote:
You know it's bad when the guy in charge of George W. Bush's ethical conduct says that's no good. :rotfl:

What if Hillary's ethics team signed off on it though, you would totally change your mind, right? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hillis

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:28 pm

He can tell us all he wants his sons are going to run the business, but you know he's calling the shots. I think he knows as well as we do that both his sons aren't the brightest bulbs in the world. Then again, neither is he.

Trump cannot play both sides of the street. He cannot on one hand serve as President, keeping the best interests of the United States in the forefront when those interests could cost him a lot of money. Either he sells the businesses, or he shouldn't be allowed to take the Oath.

afcjets wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

What if Hillary's ethics team signed off on it though, you would totally change your mind, right? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

We aren't talking Hillary, are we? We're talking Trump, and no, it wouldn't change many minds. It would change yours, however, as you'd be screaming bloody hell if it were Hillary, but have no problem if Trump is going to put his wealth ahead of the nations' interests.

einsteinboricua

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:57 pm

afcjets wrote:

There's one problem with this: Hillary wasn't elected. So we can't speculate about what cannot be. FWIW, I'd also be urging her to fully divest herself from any and all interests for the sake of executing the office of POTUS without conflicts.

However, you seem to be deflecting too much and not addressing Trump's obvious COI ("well, if it were Clinton...").
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

SoJo

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:47 pm

Meanwhile, in the UK the weather is getting worse and I have to go shopping tomorrow. Dam that Trump man!
RAF Abingdon 1967. I met Beverley from Blackburn. Fantastic!

11725Flyer

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:36 pm

Since he's not divesting and/or putting everything in a blind trust, there will be an article a day about this. But, I suspect Trump doesn't really care. What I can foresee however, are lawsuits filed by Democrats about this issue to hound him mercilessly.

Aesma

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:56 pm

Apparently Republicans (not even Trump as he's not in charge yet, while Congress is, another bizarre US thing) are writing a bill to slash in half business taxes, income taxes, etc. So a bill that will make Trump richer. Somehow they don't care about the debt anymore.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

tommy1808

Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Aesma wrote:
Somehow they don't care about the debt anymore.

Well, pretty much the first thing they did was raising the debt ceiling to a level that was so evil just recently that they shut down the whole government to prevent it...

best regards
Thomas