Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

Goodbye President Obama..........and THANK YOU !!!!

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:30 pm

http://www.dailydot.com/layer8/obama-accomplishments/

450 accomplishments: 450 !
....although I admit, the one about airline profits seems iffy :shock:
http://pleasecutthecrap.com/obama-accomplishments/

GDP growth/loss for each quarter:
http://www.multpl.com/us-gdp-growth-rat ... by-quarter

Obama exits with his dignity intact:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/obama-exits- ... 04199.html

YES, HE DID :bouncy:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

chepos

Re: Goodbye President Obama..........and THANK YOU !!!!

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:40 pm

He will be missed, a great president. An amazing leader and representative for the UNITED STATES. Proud I voted for him twice.
Fly the Flag!!!!

TheF15Ace

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:51 pm

President Obama will be missed. He wasn't perfect but I believe he served our country well. Proud to have called him my president.

Dahlgardo

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:57 pm

A nice guy and a good person no doubt.
Not sure how history will judge him, but ISIS and a strong Putin will also be a significant part of his legacy.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

einsteinboricua

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:14 pm

He will be missed indeed. First time I took pride in calling someone "my president".
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

MadameConcorde

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Goodbye President Obama.
Yourself and your family appear to be genuine nice people.
I hope I will run into you somewhere somehow.

I wish you the very best.
You have done some really good work for a more peaceful world to live in.

Thank you.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

lugie

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Thank you Mr. President.

You honored this position and the White House with an amount of grace that hardly compares to any one of your predecessors. No personal scandals, no corruption and 8 years of strong efforts of pulling the US into the right direction for the future.

I feel honored that given my age you were the first president I consciously witnessed being elected into office and governing the United States. You did a substantial part in shaping the inherently good image I have of your nation.
Last but not least, I will always have something to proudly look back to - doing the White House tour while you and your amazing family were still residing there. I didn't get to meet you, but that leaves some bucket list bulletpoints for the future :)

As expected by a millennial, I'll end the message with a hashtag:
#rolemodel
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

Hillis

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Thank you, Mr. President. In the face of unprecidented hatred, obstruction and bigotry from those who opposed you, you remained a study in grace, dignity, honor and class. You always showed the best of America every time you spoke, and every time you represented us to the world.

No scandals. Not even a hint of it. You ran the most honorable administration this nation has ever had. I wish you could be around another 8 years, but if wishes were horses...

Godspeed to you, Michelle, Melia and Sasha in the years ahead.

flyingturtle

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Mr. President, your tenure had some flaws. You could not achieve everything you pledged to do. But I am sure you did your best.

I miss you.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

MadameConcorde

Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Trying to track President Obama's flight from Andrews AFB to Palm Springs on FR24 to no avail.
Probably because he is using the current Presidential Aircraft aka Air Force One carrying the just retired former President?
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

einsteinboricua

Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:20 pm

MadameConcorde wrote:
Trying to track President Obama's flight from Andrews AFB to Palm Springs on FR24 to no avail.
Probably because he is using the current Presidential Aircraft aka Air Force One carrying the just retired former President?

SAM28000 or SAM29000, It's not Air Force One anymore since Trump is not flying on it. It's designated as Special Air Mission (SAM) and naturally it won't be tracked.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

cpd

Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Yeah, good guy.

A332DTW

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:55 pm

It felt really ominous watching President Obama take off in Marine One. Just a really depressing day... Its been a really foggy and dreary day as well. Perfect for the occasion.

11725Flyer

Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:40 am

Have a good life!

salttee

Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:56 am

Thank you Barrack Obama, you have shown the world what an honorable American is for the last eight years.
I appreciate that very much.

rfields5421

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:02 am

To be technically correct - the flight wasn't Marine ONE, but Marine Corps XXXX for the aircraft tail number since he was no longer President.

No matter whether a person supports or dislikes a US President, we all owe all of them a debt of gratitude. Running this country is not a simple job, or an easy one.

Four honorable men stood on the Capitol steps today, and only they knew what Donald Trump was getting into, and all knew that all of Trumps expectations about the job were completely and totally false.

Every former President has said that the first few days on the job are a very rude awakening to the limitations and restrictions on the US President. And the frustrations inherent in those.
Not all who wander are lost.

stratosphere

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:03 am

Don't let the door hit you in the ass Obama. Now you can enjoy your golf games on you own dime for a change

stratosphere

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:05 am

MadameConcorde wrote:

They block that on Flightaware you should know that. Just like Trumps plane even before he became president was blocked.

stratosphere

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:07 am

A332DTW wrote:
It felt really ominous watching President Obama take off in Marine One. Just a really depressing day... Its been a really foggy and dreary day as well. Perfect for the occasion.

I celebrated with a beer myself

stratosphere

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:08 am

salttee wrote:
Thank you Barrack Obama, you have shown the world what an honorable American is for the last eight years.

Where's my barf bag

Ken777

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:47 am

Thank You President Obama!

There are many around the world who understand how outstanding a President you were and, over the next 4 years that number will probably grow significantly.

All the very best for you and your family.

WarRI1

Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:30 am

salttee wrote:

I completely agree, we now have a very classless guy in there, so let the scorn begin. Which will mimic the last eight years of hatred and lies from the Republicans.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

EA CO AS

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:04 am

President Obama, I did not agree with your politics or most of your methods, but I thank you and your family for your service. Regardless of how I feel about you politically, you are a patriot, as was every president who preceded you.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

solarflyer22

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:21 am

MadameConcorde wrote:
Goodbye President Obama.
Yourself and your family appear to be genuine nice people.
I hope I will run into you somewhere somehow.

I wish you the very best.
You have done some really good work for a more peaceful world to live in.

Thank you.

Because the world looks so much more peaceful? Nevermind the fact he took their idiot allies (Israel, France, Saudi Arabia) advice and destabilized and bombed Syria, Libya and Yemen. Only a mere 580,000 killed in those conflicts. I excuse him from Iraq and Afghanistan since those were pre-existing.

Being "nice" is not a substitute for being savvy. He was average, at best IMO.

A332DTW

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:43 am

stratosphere wrote:
A332DTW wrote:

Stay classy. :roll:

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:48 am

EA CO AS wrote:
President Obama, I did not agree with your politics or most of your methods,.

LOL! Coming from a hard core Trump supporter! What "methods" did you have problems with. Irony has been broken.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:49 am

stratosphere wrote:

Now theres a shock.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

salttee

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:09 am

solarflyer22 wrote:
Nevermind the fact he took their idiot allies (Israel, France, Saudi Arabia) advice and destabilized and bombed Syria, Libya and Yemen.

Syria was destabilized all on it's own, the US has not "bombed" the Syrian regime, all US military force has been used against ISIS. You are conveniently forgetting how the opposition was screaming that Obama was a traitor to the nation because he wouldn't use the US military force against Assad. He was POTUS not the absolute ruler, he had to bow somewhat to the fierce political pressure that was on him by the right wingers. He sought a middle ground. I would bet anything that you were one of those calling for him to remove Assad and now you're talking from 20/20 hindsight.

Libya was a done deal, Obama had no influence on the outcome there, France had planes in the air when it asked UN permission to take action. Obama supported an ally and contrary to what you cons think keeping allies is a smart thing to do.

US policy towards Saudi Arabia is based on the premise that we have no choice but to stay engaged with the Saud assholes, if we abandon them or cause them to lose control things will get a lot worse in the ME. We appear to be doing the absolute minimum in Yemen that still keeps our influence in SA intact.

Trump is sure to ramp up military action against the Shiite rebels there. But you won't complain about that will you?

Edit:
I apologize I just realized that you are not an American con as I thought you were. My text is directed at the trumpistias who make a similar argument as yours.You should be very grateful for Obama, if a Republican had become president in 08 or 12, we would have gone to war with your country.

Aesma

Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:34 am

What are the changes made by Obama (or sometimes just during his term and not opposed by him) that will stay with the memory/history of his term, in your opinion ?

- Obamacare : a defining set of laws for sure, it might not exist anymore soon, but either the replacement will be a disaster and people will regret it, or the replacement will be great and who knows what feelings people will have.

- repeal of don't ask don't tell, gay marriage

- legalization of marijuana in some states

What else ? Positive stuff I mean, there are of course negative aspects too.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

par13del

Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:02 pm

Biggest positive is that he showed how one of the developed countries ( A superpower) would elect a minority to be their leader not once but twice.
Negatives, race relations did not improve during his tenure, possible because he believed that since he was elected it meant all was not as bad as it seemed.
In the Caribbean he took up where Bill Clinton left off with the EU in their campaign about tax havens trying to continue to force third countries to track funds that the US and EU banks let out of their country.

I wish other countries would follow Trumps mantra of putting their nation first in negotiations, in the US it is doable because centuries ago the founding fathers
put checks and balances in place - funny how some say Trump will find out the limitations to his power but no one knew about those when he got elected - the
fear factor put out was confusing at best to those who know and devastating to those that do not.
Too many countries have political system that by their very nature are corrupt, in negotiations it comes down to what is in my best interest versus the people.

Time will tell, the POTUS was elected fairley by the US system and I am looking to see they type of job that he does. Unfortunately, I think tracking his presidency will be a bit more difficult since we will have to rely on social media versus the mainstream media, no way I see that relationship changing.
As for the media being one of the estates, that may be PBS but the rest of them are all For Profit business's so............

apodino

Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:14 pm

I didn't vote for Obama...and I don't agree with a lot of what he did in office. That being said the guy served the country for eight years, has raised a wonderful family and is an awesome dad, and spoke in a very elegant manner. Regardless of your political views..he should be thanked for his service to the country.

As for what changes he made that will be permanent.

- Don't ask don't tell is gone permanently, and I have thought this was a bad policy ever since Clinton implemented it. What some consenting adult wants to do in the bedroom has no impact whatsoever on his ability to serve in the Military, and I have believed that for a long time.

- Healthcare as we knew it prior to Obama is changed forever. It is still a work in progress though so I don't know what the final form will take. One thing I am very surprised by on this is that no Blue state has taken it upon them selves to implement single payer at the state level. I would think California would have jumped on this a long time ago considering the Democrats supermajority.

- Sotamayor and Kagen will be on the Supreme Court for a long time. One thing I am curious about is what directions their opinions take going forward as Trumps nominee is confirmed and Ginsburg likely gets replaced sometime during Trumps term given the close friendships that get developed by the justices. (You have to wonder why Ginsburg didn't resign early in Obama's second term and allowing Obama to appoint a replacement.)

- Regardless of the makeup of the court going forward...I don't see any challenges to the Same Sex Marriage ruling. That is going to be here to stay I believe.

All in all...some things that will be positive for the country going forward. I thank Obama for his service, and I also pray that Trump can be a force for good in America.

Aesma

Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:36 pm

I forgot Iran and Cuba of course.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Hillis

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Aesma wrote:
What are the changes made by Obama (or sometimes just during his term and not opposed by him) that will stay with the memory/history of his term, in your opinion ?

- Obamacare : a defining set of laws for sure, it might not exist anymore soon, but either the replacement will be a disaster and people will regret it, or the replacement will be great and who knows what feelings people will have.

- repeal of don't ask don't tell, gay marriage

- legalization of marijuana in some states

What else ? Positive stuff I mean, there are of course negative aspects too.

-ACA
-LGBT Marriage Equality, which he pushed.
-Opening dialogue with Cuba, Iran, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.
-Scandal free 8 years.
-Over 70 straight months of job creation during his tenure.

Even if all those are wiped out by Trump, they will be a huge legacy. Because, despite having Trump now, this nation is beginning to tilt to the left, and those policies, in some form or another, will all return, and Mr. Obama will be seen as the catalyst for all of that.

YZF101

Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Hillis wrote:
Thank you, Mr. President. In the face of unprecidented hatred, obstruction and bigotry from those who opposed you, you remained a study in grace, dignity, honor and class. You always showed the best of America every time you spoke, and every time you represented us to the world.

No scandals. Not even a hint of it. You ran the most honorable administration this nation has ever had. I wish you could be around another 8 years, but if wishes were horses...

Godspeed to you, Michelle, Melia and Sasha in the years ahead.

Well, I didn't like him at all, but do agree with a former poster that he and his family did appear genuinely pleasant. At first I too was supportive of his endevour as President.

Your post, however, displays the problem that will eventually tear America apart if the sobbing Left can't get their crap together. When Obama was opposed, he was very mean spirited. His demeanour during the election campaign was vile. And now, the "unprecidented hatred, obstruction and bigotry" you wailed about above is the daily fare from the Left - only far, far worse. But it proves the point that has been observed, sadly, for many many years. There is no one more unbending, bigoted, unreasonable, stuck-in-their-ways, than a Lefty when presented with a situation they do not like. Or are criticized. Or lose.

Good luck with your country burning - I'm sure you all will enjoy the cinders you will create.

YZF101

Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:35 pm

apodino wrote:
I didn't vote for Obama...and I don't agree with a lot of what he did in office. That being said the guy served the country for eight years, has raised a wonderful family and is an awesome dad, and spoke in a very elegant manner. Regardless of your political views..he should be thanked for his service to the country.

As for what changes he made that will be permanent.

- Don't ask don't tell is gone permanently, and I have thought this was a bad policy ever since Clinton implemented it. What some consenting adult wants to do in the bedroom has no impact whatsoever on his ability to serve in the Military, and I have believed that for a long time.

- Healthcare as we knew it prior to Obama is changed forever. It is still a work in progress though so I don't know what the final form will take. One thing I am very surprised by on this is that no Blue state has taken it upon them selves to implement single payer at the state level. I would think California would have jumped on this a long time ago considering the Democrats supermajority.

- Sotamayor and Kagen will be on the Supreme Court for a long time. One thing I am curious about is what directions their opinions take going forward as Trumps nominee is confirmed and Ginsburg likely gets replaced sometime during Trumps term given the close friendships that get developed by the justices. (You have to wonder why Ginsburg didn't resign early in Obama's second term and allowing Obama to appoint a replacement.)

- Regardless of the makeup of the court going forward...I don't see any challenges to the Same Sex Marriage ruling. That is going to be here to stay I believe.

All in all...some things that will be positive for the country going forward. I thank Obama for his service, and I also pray that Trump can be a force for good in America.

The best thing to come from the ashes of the ACA (yes, a little dramatic there) is hopefully as you pointed out - healthcare by the State, for it's citizens. It really shouldn't be a hard thing to do....California might be a bit big and cumbersome to do at first thought. Best to pick a better "venue" to try it out and when others see some success, well, it might just snowball into something special. That, in a backwards kind of way, would be Obama's legacy. Not his healthcare package, but the impetus to actually change - the prior mess was indeed a travesty. Obama's solution not so hot, but it DID break the mold, so to speak, and thus can force change...or allow change to be made.

Same sex marriage, etc., won't change, regardless of the knashing of teeth from the "opposistion". That would, in a word (or two), be political suicide. Period. As it should be, so that's hands off. You pointed out 'don't ask, don't tell'....yes, something I've been much in support of - stay out of the bedrooms of the nation. Period (as well).

Pity, as Obama's term was coming to an end, he did oppose (and veto) a measure about suing other states (nation states, that is), and he was 110% correct. It was an easy call, and he was right. But he'd lost whatever currency he had - so he was left holding a charred veto paper. Something Trump needs to remember - don't burn bridges, and pi$$ off the government.

Obama's style the last 4 years was much different than his first term, and it showed - arrogance showed, and that's never good.

Was he a terrible president? Dunno how history will paint him. Certainly not the greatest, the worst? No, that's good political rhetoric, but not the worst. He should have had an easy ride after Bush.

I guess at the end of the day, he did serve the country without a major mess, so that would be a small success. I, as well, hope Trump will serve well.

One thing to be thankful for - aside from a small (?) number of points, there's not much to be b*tching about Obama for the next 8 years. Easy to fix or reverse (Syria notwithstanding). He's gone, now move forward!

Peace and good luck :)

zckls04

Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:55 pm

YZF101 wrote:
But it proves the point that has been observed, sadly, for many many years. There is no one more unbending, bigoted, unreasonable, stuck-in-their-ways, than a Lefty when presented with a situation they do not like. Or are criticized. Or lose.

That quote is just fantastic. I'm going to stick it on my fridge so I can have a good laugh every morning. Maybe next to a picture of Mitch McConnell.
Four Granavox Turbines!

YZF101

Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:02 pm

zckls04 wrote:
YZF101 wrote:
But it proves the point that has been observed, sadly, for many many years. There is no one more unbending, bigoted, unreasonable, stuck-in-their-ways, than a Lefty when presented with a situation they do not like. Or are criticized. Or lose.

That quote is just fantastic. I'm going to stick it on my fridge so I can have a good laugh every morning. Maybe next to a picture of Mitch McConnell.

Touche! Glad I could give you a good laugh :)

That would be a hazard of painting with a brush that is a wee bit too wide, no? :)

Peace.

cpd

Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:40 pm

YZF101 wrote:
if the sobbing Left.....

There is no one more unbending, bigoted, unreasonable, stuck-in-their-ways, than a Lefty when presented with a situation they do not like. Or are criticized. Or lose....

There is the problem in its clearest form. Everything is down to left or right. You are almost at a civil war. Everything is an attack against one or the other. You can't deny it, you wrote it, not me.

Do you lot (left and right) do anything other than just sitting on your computers researching attacks against each other? I've got an excuse because my right side is covered in bandages and my neck and shoulder are in enormous pain at the moment and reading your petty squabbles takes the focus off that..

dmg626

Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Oscar Rivera is very thankful, his victims families might think otherwise

YZF101

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:18 pm

cpd wrote:
YZF101 wrote:
if the sobbing Left.....

There is no one more unbending, bigoted, unreasonable, stuck-in-their-ways, than a Lefty when presented with a situation they do not like. Or are criticized. Or lose....

There is the problem in its clearest form. Everything is down to left or right. You are almost at a civil war. Everything is an attack against one or the other. You can't deny it, you wrote it, not me.

Do you lot (left and right) do anything other than just sitting on your computers researching attacks against each other? I've got an excuse because my right side is covered in bandages and my neck and shoulder are in enormous pain at the moment and reading your petty squabbles takes the focus off that..

Deny it? No reason to deny it - it's the bold, stark truth. As you pointed out.

Is it a proud position to sit and take, left vs right? Hell no. It would be folly to ignore it, though. Same damn problem (different labels) for bloody decades upon decades. East vs West. Black vs White. Commies vs non-commies (?). Been through the same frigging mess for ages, yet no one - no one - can seem to go from one and stop there...has to keep on rolling. "Politics of division"?

There was a slight chance - slight, but there - that Obama could have pulled a rabbit out of his hat and made things a bit better. He actually was in a good position to do so, but even that slipped away, and the last few years have been ridiculous. And unfortunately, I don't see any hope of that getting any better. Hell, the divisions in America are even worse now than in years. Too many damn fingers pointing in so many different directions they are all going to get twisted up.

Ok, there's Trump to try and get the country 'functioning' again. Alright...now what's needed is a real statesperson - not a bloody poltician either...that's part of the problem - to rise up and bring America the rest of the way. Possible? Hell, anything is possible. Probable? Wish it were.

Thanks for your comment - appreciated :)

blacksoviet

Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:38 pm

Obama is a joke. His presidency was a complete failure. He wasn't able to to get Netanyahu to stop building illegal settlements and terrorist outposts. Bush's presidency was a failure as well. Will Trump be able to defeat Netanyahu's apartheid regime?

727LOVER
Topic Author

Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:41 pm

Well...if you didn't see SNL last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJEvD6Hves
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.