Dutchy
Topic Author

EU's reaction to Trump policy?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:52 am

What should the EU do in reaction to Trumps policies?

I hope this is another wake-up call for European citizens not to vote for populist. And I hope it will draw the EU closer together instead of letting it tear itself apart (with or without the help of the Kremlin).

Reaction to tariff walls (is this right?) --> tariff walls on American products.
Reaction to torture --> don't know
Reaction to secret CIA camps --> hopefully it will be blown right into the open, like the last time

etc.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

TheFlyingDisk

Re: EU's reaction to Trump policy?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:17 am

I really doubt this is going to be a wake-up call against the populist movement. People say Brexit was a wake-up call against the populist movement & yet Trump still got elected. It seems to me that the entire world is shifting towards populism.

As for EU's response to Trump, it would be better if the powers that be up in Brussels deal with him in a more matured fashion as compared to their handling of Brexit. Reprisals isn't going to get anyone anywhere to be honest.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Dutchy
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:44 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I really doubt this is going to be a wake-up call against the populist movement. People say Brexit was a wake-up call against the populist movement & yet Trump still got elected. It seems to me that the entire world is shifting towards populism.

As for EU's response to Trump, it would be better if the powers that be up in Brussels deal with him in a more matured fashion as compared to their handling of Brexit. Reprisals isn't going to get anyone anywhere to be honest.

Reprisais for Brexit, which one?

Gemuser

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:45 am

The Dutch already have it sorted:
https://www.facebook.com/zondagmetlubac ... 904562149/
Its the one called: The Netherlands welcomes Trump in his own words
Well worth watching, the funniest thing to come out after the events of 20/1/17.

Gemuser

Derico

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:42 am

Do we really need 10 of 12 threads in this forum to be about Trump?

I understand it is a "non-av" forum but it is also not a "Trump exclusive" forum. Most of the topics now only have 5-10 replies and CAN be consolidated. I also think is becoming a matter of courtesy to others: there are other topics that people find of interest and are being buried by the constant Trump stuff. And quite frankly, some of us are not that interested or concerned about what happens with Trump or his policies, outside some general views on the subject.

If there are Olympic Games threads, and X-country election theads, so there can be Trump presidency policy threads.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

tommy1808

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:09 am

Stock up staff to look at asylum requests from US american''s .
Apparently they need it soon...

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Redd

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:31 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I really doubt this is going to be a wake-up call against the populist movement. People say Brexit was a wake-up call against the populist movement & yet Trump still got elected. It .

Few Americans have a good idea of what current affairs in Europe look like, past the small tidbits that make it on to Fox or CNN.

coolian2

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:33 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Stock up staff to look at asylum requests from US american''s .
Apparently they need it soon...

Best regards
Thomas

We've already got Peter arsehole Thiel.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

Bongodog1964

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:56 am

Dutchy wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Reprisais for Brexit, which one?

French President Francois Hollande
"The UK wants to leave and pay nothing. It's not possible. There must be a threat, there must be a risk, there must be a price. Otherwise we will be in a negotiation that cannot end well." (Speaking at Paris Delors Institute, 6 Oct)

Will this do for starters ?

Back on the subject of "The Donald" why is everyone so wound up and making statements off the cuff about him ? All it is doing is adding oxygen to the fire. Just sit back and let him self destruct of his own accord, it won't take long.

Olddog

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:11 am

What Hollande said is:
Aujourd’hui, le Royaume Uni voudrait partir mais sans en payer les conséquences. Ce n’est pas possible », martèle le président. « On ne va pas rester dans l’ambiguïté. Il faut aller jusqu’au bout de la volonté des Britanniques de sortir de l’Union. Il faut qu’il y ait un prix, une menace, un risque, sinon, il y en aura d’autres qui voudront sortir. Il faut défendre notre conception de l’Europe qui repose sur les quatre libertés.

It is exactly what the 27 told the UK since the beginning: you want to leave, fine but deal with all the consequences and no cherry picking!
When UK was in it wanted a lot of opt-outs, now it is out it wants opt-ins

Dutchy
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:24 am

Olddog wrote:
What Hollande said is:
Aujourd’hui, le Royaume Uni voudrait partir mais sans en payer les conséquences. Ce n’est pas possible », martèle le président. « On ne va pas rester dans l’ambiguïté. Il faut aller jusqu’au bout de la volonté des Britanniques de sortir de l’Union. Il faut qu’il y ait un prix, une menace, un risque, sinon, il y en aura d’autres qui voudront sortir. Il faut défendre notre conception de l’Europe qui repose sur les quatre libertés.

It is exactly what the 27 told the UK since the beginning: you want to leave, fine but deal with all the consequences and no cherry picking!

Exactly, you want to leave, that means you have to negotiate a deal - which means give and take from both parties - or the fall back position is the general trade rules. So no cherry picking, the EU will not be the Brexiteers bitch ;-)

PanHAM

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:30 am

The first casualty, at least one that was reported, is the caqncellation of a 100 Million € purchase order by a "manufactuer of electric cars", in words, Tesla. The order was for a German Company. We wish Tesla good luck that they find a OEM in the USA who can do it for the same Price and, much more important, at the same quality
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

slider

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:47 pm

I don't know nor do I terribly care what the rest of the world thinks, just as I didn't when Obama won.

But I bet some in Sweden are starting to think they ought to start protecting their borders and halting the unchecked flow of islamic hordes...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2709224/t ... in-sweden/

pvjin

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:10 pm

I hope European people will see how much quality entertainment and leftist whining voting somebody like Trump brings, and as a result vote for populists. That's what I will do.

I don't even have to feel guilty for it considering the fact me and other European citizen of my age have nothing to lose. The economy sucks, the European middle class is dying and people under 30 or so are getting only poorer. With current rulers there's nothing but misery in the future as far as quality of life goes, this continent is in serious crisis and the globalist pigs don't give a damn.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... n-y-income
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

seahawk

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Learn from him.

He secures the borders
the Dow Jones is reaching an all time high
firms move production back to the US

Europe could and should learn from him. Not necessarily what he does, but surely why people voted for him.

PanHAM

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:52 pm

seahawk wrote:
Learn from him.

He secures the borders
the Dow Jones is reaching an all time high
firms move production back to the US

Europe could and should learn from him. Not necessarily what he does, but surely why people voted for him.

LOL, we might as well learn from Kim Jong-un, he has secured hte borders as well, still People manage to flee his paradise. Consumer in the USA will soon find out that production in the USA is much more expensive and that they have to pay for the additional costs. besides where can firms find skilled Labor that has the same productivity as those in Asia. Less productivity means additional costs further adding to the Prices of goods.

What can Europe learn from Mr. T. ß Mainly how not to do it and to vote for proven parties and not for populist proles who think that they are the Center of the universe.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

seahawk

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Proven Parties could learn to take the concerns of the people serious. And maybe rethink our immigration policy. It kind is hard to understand why immigrants who are considered dangerous are allowed to stay and get a police observation team to make sure they do not commit a terror attack.

lugie

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:28 pm

1) Something along the lines of what French presidential candidate Fillon proposed in a recent interview: A joint European military unit to protect Eastern Europe from Russia if Trump really cuts back NATO

2) Do their best to keep up the ties to the US but not at any cost. If he moves forward with torture or further threatens the free press there needs to be a strong reaction. Actually I think the EU should do what Russia is doing with European right wing parties and just give aid (financial or other) to US Democrats/NGOs fighting Trump

3) If he continues to alienate the values of western liberal democracies, the EU should refocus their global partnerships to nations like Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia or South American nations
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 77W 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN AC
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW YYZ SJO PTY

seahawk

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Dealing with Trump is not the problem, stopping people from voting for someone like Trump is.

Aesma

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:33 am

Moral positions are a necessity but Trump won't care.

For every economic move there has to be a countermove, however.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Dutchy
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:44 am

pvjin wrote:
I hope European people will see how much quality entertainment and leftist whining voting somebody like Trump brings, and as a result vote for populists. That's what I will do.

I don't even have to feel guilty for it considering the fact me and other European citizen of my age have nothing to lose. The economy sucks, the European middle class is dying and people under 30 or so are getting only poorer. With current rulers there's nothing but misery in the future as far as quality of life goes, this continent is in serious crisis and the globalist pigs don't give a damn.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... n-y-income

you should be ashamed! You live in Finland right? North western Europe is the best region in the world to live, by far. Vote for your populist party, warship autocrat Putin, but remember there are consequences. There are some real problems, but we have to deal with them, populist aren't the answer they will tear everything down, like Trump does at the moment.

L410Turbolet

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:58 am

Dutchy wrote:
you should be ashamed!

Ashamed? How about him getting laid? That has been proven to be a quite effective solution for such frustrations. Maybe he would even dump his virtual boyfriend Vlad.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:12 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
you should be ashamed!

Ashamed? How about him getting laid? That has been proven to be a quite effective solution for such frustrations. Maybe he would even dump his virtual boyfriend Vlad.

haha, cheating on Putin, gutsy ;-) Sex is a good solution to everything :-)

WIederling

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:01 am

Dutchy wrote:
What should the EU do in reaction to Trumps policies?

I hope this is another wake-up call for European citizens not to vote for populist. And I hope it will draw the EU closer together instead of letting it tear itself apart (with or without the help of the Kremlin).

Kremlin "tears" nothing.
The EU eastern fringe is a set of well trained Pawlow's dog like entities.
Reaction to tariff walls (is this right?) --> tariff walls on American products.

What American products?
Reaction to torture --> don't know
Reaction to secret CIA camps --> hopefully it will be blown right into the open, like the last time

Think about how long that took.
One primary objective IMHO should be to throw US "department of organized murder" Drone control out of Europe.
( Ramstein ... )
then throw Poland out of the EU. They are (one of ) the US fifth column inside the EU.

wondering US troops incl. their hardware ( actually only the hardware and some janitors ) have been move from the US
via Bremerhafen into the eastern Baltics.( organized by the Bundeswehr Logistics School.)
Are these destined to move East or will they be used as a "mailed fist" against the EU?
Murphy is an optimist

Aesma

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:26 am

I don't know what American products, but here are some US companies making money in the EU :
Boeing
Microsoft
Apple
Google
Facebook
Amazon
GE
GM
Coca-cola
Philip Morris
McDonald's
Abbott Laboratories
Kraft Foods
DuPont
NewsCorp
Ford
Honeywell

They would not be all affected in the same way by a trade war, for example if they make things locally instead of importing them their exposure is less. Some don't make much in the US anyway, for example an iPhone is an US product made in China, so I don't know what would happen. Some of those (GAFA) don't bring that much money to the US as it's kept on some tropical islands, so maybe Trump doesn't care if he throws them under the bus.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

L410Turbolet

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:44 am

WIederling wrote:
Kremlin "tears" nothing.
The EU eastern fringe is a set of well trained Pawlow's dog like entities.

Coming from a putinist crackpot like you, I gather it is meant to be a compliment?

WIederling wrote:
throw Poland out of the EU. They are (one of ) the US fifth column inside the EU.

Wet dreaming of yet another Ribbentrop - Molotov?

VSMUT

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:03 pm

WIederling wrote:
then throw Poland out of the EU. They are (one of ) the US fifth column inside the EU.

No need to throw Poland out of the EU. Just throw Kaczynski in the slammer - problem solved.

WIederling wrote:
wondering US troops incl. their hardware ( actually only the hardware and some janitors ) have been move from the US
via Bremerhafen into the eastern Baltics.( organized by the Bundeswehr Logistics School.)
Are these destined to move East or will they be used as a "mailed fist" against the EU?

With Trump as a US president, there is good reason to worry about US forces in the EU.

ozglobal

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:23 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

What reprises are your referring to? It IS only the UK who are making threats. The EU is simply restating what has always been known by the UK: there are a set of rights and duties inside the membership; there is freedom from the duties and the rights outside of membership. KNOWING THIS, the UK voted to leave, chose to forgo the rights and the duties. Now the UK what to start a new deal and the EU warns that, naturally, it can't be the same rights they left behind when they chose to leave behind the duties.

In no way is any of this a threat. It is the UK who is acting and choosing, NOT the EU. All threats are from the UK side. But to these threats are now added 30mins of insults to Europeans in front of Trump and a public negotiation on trade in contravention of the UK's obligations under present EU member AND the terms of article 50 which has not even been triggered. This is all on the UK side.

Please list the perceived EU initiated 'reprisals'?
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

pvjin

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Dutchy wrote:
you should be ashamed! You live in Finland right? North western Europe is the best region in the world to live, by far. Vote for your populist party, warship autocrat Putin, but remember there are consequences. There are some real problems, but we have to deal with them, populist aren't the answer they will tear everything down, like Trump does at the moment.

Somehow this part of the "best region in the world to live" has a significantly higher suicide rate than most of other Europe which honestly makes me doubt all the studies which claim we are such a bunch of happy people. Many things here do suck, first and foremost the climate,cultural life and restrictive government policies.

To me Trump isn't tearing things down. He has already provided more entertainment than Obama did during his entire term, and after his victory the value of my stocks has been rising steadily. Can't complain.

L410Turbolet wrote:

I agree, I believe a relationship between a man and a woman is the cornerstone of the society, something that keeps young males away from harmful things and ideologies. Too bad this modern progressive society of ours encourages young people not to have relationships, the amount of people living single has reached its all time high, and the birth rate is at its all time low.

I would never abandon Vlad though, an enemy of an enemy will always be my friend.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

Dutchy
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:44 pm

pvjin wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Somehow this part of the "best region in the world to live" has a significantly higher suicide rate than most of other Europe which honestly makes me doubt all the studies which claim we are such a bunch of happy people. Many things here do suck, first and foremost the climate,cultural life and restrictive government policies.
well be consequent then and just move to your paradise in Russia.

pvjin

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:12 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Maybe if I'm rich some day, being poor in Russia wouldn't be too nice.

Aesma

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Russia just voted that you can beat your wife and kids, paradise indeed. And the Orthodox Church supported it, how very ISIS like of it.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Aesma wrote:
Russia just voted that you can beat your wife and kids, paradise indeed. And the Orthodox Church supported it, how very ISIS like of it.

That is a good thing, the Dutch police detained a Russian diplomat a few years back, because he was beating his kids and his wife was so drunk that she ramped a couple of cars. Of course Putin was mad --> that should be allowed and how dare the Dutch police protect some children.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:59 pm

pvjin wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Maybe if I'm rich some day, being poor in Russia wouldn't be too nice.

so you are just a kid, trolling away on this board.

flyingturtle

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:11 am

Dutchy wrote:
so you are just a kid, trolling away on this board.

Some people are just court jesters. Always blathering the same stuff. I've made a habit of not reading what certain a.nutters are saying. And my user experience just gets better by that.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Channex757

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:19 am

PanHAM wrote:
The first casualty, at least one that was reported, is the caqncellation of a 100 Million € purchase order by a "manufactuer of electric cars", in words, Tesla. The order was for a German Company. We wish Tesla good luck that they find a OEM in the USA who can do it for the same Price and, much more important, at the same quality

Tesla buys a lot of cabin fittings from Daimler. Mercedes switchgear mostly.

I can't see this being an issue as they have plenty of other options in the US supply chain. What could be more at stake is the proposed Gigafactory in Holland to make cars for the Euro market. Elon Musk is an advisor to the President so will his decision to locate the new factory outside the USA be swayed?

Aesma

Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:59 am

Channex757 wrote:
PanHAM wrote:

Tesla buys a lot of cabin fittings from Daimler. Mercedes switchgear mostly.

I can't see this being an issue as they have plenty of other options in the US supply chain. What could be more at stake is the proposed Gigafactory in Holland to make cars for the Euro market. Elon Musk is an advisor to the President so will his decision to locate the new factory outside the USA be swayed?

Trump is talking about imposing tariffs on cars so if Tesla wants to sell cars in Europe they will have to be made here, as there will be a tariff imposed in return.

olle

Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Eastern europe liked to play eu against Usa in questions like defense security immigration.

I think it will become easier with a trump lead usa to create a eu army common immigration policy that just do not say "we dont allow any into our country let them die crossing the sea" and a common boarder control. For eastern europe suddenly germany is the safe harbour